Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Rlerman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

My RBION shows the ball search on the DMD at power on. It then shoots all the balls into the playfield. It will do this non stop until I power it off again. It had done this just a few times earlier and then quit but now that's all it does.

Anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks much!

#2 4 years ago

Can you access the menus?

Check the trough switches. I assume the correct number of balls is still present?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from winkdot:

Anyone else seen this problem?

No, but I still suspect the forked microswitch in the trough below the vari-target. That switch is prone to failure and if the game thinks a ball is in there when it's powered up, it's going to try to get it out.

Next time it happens, go into active switch test and see if that switch is showing closed. If it is, you either need to adjust the actuator or replace the switch. One of the vari-target switches always shows closed. Ignore that and look for that nearby upper trough switch being closed. If you do order a switch, order two. You'll need another one eventually.

#4 4 years ago

Switch test mode, whats shown? All four balls? Shooter lane switch working?

#5 4 years ago

The correct number of balls are present.

Ok, as soon as I set it into the switch test mode it displays:
4 ball opto stacking
41 vari target

It repeats this over and over. So could it be the vari-target then?

#6 4 years ago

So could it be the vari-target then?

No. As I mentioned above, one of the vari-target switches should be closed at all times.

All 4 balls showing in the trough AND the stacking opto closed suggests your trough optos are having an issue or you have too many balls in the game. If the game only has 4 balls in it, reset the connectors on each trough opto board and retest the switches. It should show the 4 balls in the trough, but the stacking opto should stay closed. If one or both opto pairs are dark, one or both of your opto boards may be bad. Replace them both. Part numbers are in the yellow section of the manual (schematics).

#7 4 years ago

I reseated the connectors on the opto and at power on it said searching for 4 balls. It fired the 4 balls onto the playfield only once. I then was actually able to play a game. I repeated the sequence and it did exactly the same thing. At least it's better than it shooting 4 balls until you turn it off.
These pins are sure different from classic Sterns

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from winkdot:

I reseated the connectors on the opto and at power on it said searching for 4 balls. It fired the 4 balls onto the playfield only once. I then was actually able to play a game. I repeated the sequence and it did exactly the same thing. At least it's better than it shooting 4 balls until you turn it off.

After doing so which switches were closed?

Take all the balls out, see which switches are closed. Roll the balls into the trough one-by-one and make sure that the optos close in sequence with each one. The Jam opto should only close when balls are stacked up at the bottom of the trough (jammed) or as a ball is fired into the shooter lane.

I'm not sure if RBION has a specific trough switch test menu (later sterns do): if it does use that, otherwise you can do the same thing in the usual switch test but you have to watch more closely.

#9 4 years ago

Alright I removed all the balls. Went into the switch test and and then placed one ball at a time into the machine. It showed:

No Balls in pin
4 ball stacking opto
vari target opto 1

1 ball in pin
All the above plus
4 ball trouth VUK

2 balls in pin
all the above plus
4 ball trouth #3

3 balls in pin
all the above plus
4 ball trouth #2

4 balls in pin
all the above plus
4 ball trouth

I never saw the jam opto show up.

The pin at power on still fires 4 balls on the playfield while doing a search one time. Then all is alright.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from winkdot:

Alright I removed all the balls. Went into the switch test and and then placed one ball at a time into the machine. It showed:
No Balls in pin
4 ball stacking opto

With no balls in the trough, the stacking opto shouldn't be closed. Did you visually inspect the opto boards like I suggested above? Good chance one or both of yours are bad.

#11 4 years ago

I did inspect the opto boards and re-seated the connectors. Guess it's time for a set of opto boards.

Much thanks to all that replied to this post!

#12 4 years ago

Easiest way to troubleshoot these types of problems is with the ball clear function. At the main menu, cycle backwards till you see what looks like a ball. Then select that function. Close the coin door to apply power, then what do you see? You should see 4 balls in the trough and that's all. No Trough VUK lit and no shooter lane lit. Now press the start button to eject balls and watch the DMD. You will see exactly what the trough opto's see, and what the trough switches and shooter lane switch see. Continue to press the start button over and over and you will be able to see if the trough is reading correctly or not. 9/10 times trough problems on Sterns are just loose connectors on the two small trough opto boards.

#13 4 years ago

Thanks LOTR_breath. I did the test and VUK was always lit.

#14 4 years ago

In active switch test, I have the following:

Switch 41 vario target opto 1
Switch 11 trough 1
Switch 12 trough 2
Switch 13 trough 3
Switch 14 4 ball trough vuk opto

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pollock Pines, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, CT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside