(Topic ID: 277772)

RBG: Where & when?

By embryonjohn

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7961571734939 (resized).jpg
    3838BC97-9F00-4ECC-93F3-C9BFC4F8F7BF (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Love LEDs but I’m trying to figure out when a pin would call for red/blue/green color changing LEDs?

#2 3 years ago

Mode based pins, or are you referring to non addressable RBG?

#3 3 years ago

I can see using them in SS backglasses, but I wouldn’t want them anywhere near a playfield

#4 3 years ago

There are two places where I've seen them used effectively that I can recall:

Sinbad backglass on the wizard's magic spark.

Genesis's plain white pop bumpers.

#5 3 years ago

Ah, then i would say backboard lighting on music pins.

#6 3 years ago

I don’t think an art department failed more on a great pinball machine like what they did to Genesis.

#7 3 years ago

An RBG pin could be pretty cool.

3838BC97-9F00-4ECC-93F3-C9BFC4F8F7BF (resized).jpeg3838BC97-9F00-4ECC-93F3-C9BFC4F8F7BF (resized).jpeg
    #8 3 years ago

The RGB GI in the Monster Bash remake (SE and LE) is pretty cool. This is coming from someone that only puts white bulbs in GI when I redo a game. MMr has the kit available and it comes on their new editions SE/RE) as well.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

The RGB GI in the Monster Bash remake (SE and LE) is pretty cool. This is coming from someone that only puts white bulbs in GI when I redo a game. MMr has the kit available and it comes on their new editions SE/RE) as well.

I'm a little more lenient with lighting. I'm at 90% white and a little color hidden in the back or sides.
    Just installed the RGB kit on a MMRLE for a friend. He loves it. I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm so used to the game being all white I don't know if I like it yet. Was thinking it needs some spot lights for the center. Now for MBRLE it works great! AFMRLE is pretty good too.

#10 3 years ago

I'd suggest a Supreme. The entire left side.

7961571734939 (resized).jpg7961571734939 (resized).jpg

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

Love LEDs but I’m trying to figure out when a pin would call for red/blue/green color changing LEDs?

I bought a few while ago and I'm pretty stumped myself. Bought one game with it in the credit light button on an early solid state, guess as good a place as any. maybe a game like time fantasy?

#12 3 years ago

Gosh how clever

#13 3 years ago

I have a couple behind Alt Shadow Back Box, at the city scape level.
    They are flex heads, and look like the buildings are popping/on fire/explosions, in the distance.

#14 3 years ago

Making the magician's diadem change colors on my Pinball Magic's back glass is magical!

#15 3 years ago

Austin Powers and Strange Science are 2 pins where these are perfect

#16 3 years ago

I used them on a DE time machine - 2 flex heads behind the jukebox , kinda captured that old bubbling jukebox vibe

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'd suggest a Supreme. The entire left side.

Trying to lure o-din back? He may find the mashup of Supreme + LEDs irresistible.

#18 3 years ago

These are best used sparingly. I put 2 or 4 bulbs in my Whirlwind in the very back corners. These were the "quick changing" not fade between color lights. The end result and covered up one of the 4 colors so the bulbs periodically went dark. The end result was a subtle flashing effect in that area. The strip light I put above it overpowered the effect a little, but I thought it looked very cool and was a cheap mod.

The 20 to 40 second mark of this video (not made for the purpose) shows the effect.

Totally worth $4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbg-where-amp-when?hl=duderegular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.