(Topic ID: 31322)

R&B v3.2 ROMs - anyone use in their machine?

By viperrwk

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by FirebrandX
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

#1 11 years ago

Anyone run Destruk's 3.2 PinMAME ROMs in their R&B or at least in VPinMAME? Anyone document the differences from the 1.3 version? There are no release notes with the package but from an initial inspection I know the CPU, Display and U21 sound ROMs are different from 1.3. U7 and U17 are the same. So perhaps different animations and different sounds? Any feedback is appreciated. Trying to determine if this is a worthwhile upgrade. If no one knows I'll load into VPinMAME and try a few games.

viperrwk

#2 11 years ago

I have no help to offer... in fact, I came here looking for the same answers as you. Please let me know what you find, if you go the pinmame route. Thanks!

#3 11 years ago

I am running them in my rbion. Pinmame roms are identical to the actual rom packs. Not sure why they always label them separate. You have to update the game and display (display is at 3.0). I left my sound set alone. I'm not even sure what version it runs.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I am running them in my rbion. Pinmame roms are identical to the actual rom packs. Not sure why they always label them separate. You have to update the game and display (display is at 3.0). I left my sound set alone. I'm not even sure what version it runs.

Thanks - but I was asking about Rocky & Bullwinkle, not Ripley's.

viperrwk

#5 11 years ago

OK - loaded the v3.2 ROMs in PinMAME and comparing to 1.30, I did not notice any difference in gameplay or rules or animations after playing a few games. Of course some of the screens go by so fast on the computer that you don't get to see it clearly. Went through the diagnostics, audits and adjustments. Some of the default factory settings are different but nothing earth-shattering. Probably the biggest difference is that in v3.2 there are adjustments for setting location and game IDs as well as printer interface settings for printing out audits. These come in after Adj 52 and these adjustments are missing in v1.30. Need to look more closely at the sound ROM to see if there is any discernible difference but so far it looks like there's nothing to justify an upgrade unless you have an EPROM eraser/burner and want the absolute latest game code for your pins.

viperrwk

#6 11 years ago

And now have looked at the ROM sound files. I don't know why they come up with different checksums but all sounds are the same in the same sequence in the file. Unless someone has other info, there is no significant difference between the 1.30 and 3.20 ROM files.

viperrwk

11 months later
#7 10 years ago

The ones I got recently from pinballroms.com have "1.30" labels on them, yet the actual reported version on the DMD was 3.20.

At any rate, I replaced older ROMs that were something like 1.04 or so (don't remember exactly). The major difference I noticed right off is the code that controls blinking the G.I. on and off now works MUCH better. Previously the old code would randomly leave the G.I. off after blinking it, and several times it was too dark to see what was going on in the playfield during a game. With the new chips, the G.I. stays on after blinking.

#8 10 years ago

Surprising to me that John would sell you a 3.2 ROM labeled 1.3.

The biggest thing in the 3.2 ROM is the support for printing and various coin audits. This is probably why the version number jumped dramatically since it was a major addition for DE at the time. It's possible that 1.3 fixed GI issues from prior releases but I have not looked at previous versions of the code to know how much did change.

Suffice it to say you should run at least 1.3 in a R&B.

viperrwk

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Surprising to me that John would sell you a 3.2 ROM labeled 1.3.

If you check his web site, it even still lists them as 1.3, but as I said, the boot-up reports 3.20 on the ones he sent me.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

The ones I got recently from pinballroms.com have "1.30" labels on them, yet the actual reported version on the DMD was 3.20.
At any rate, I replaced older ROMs that were something like 1.04 or so (don't remember exactly). The major difference I noticed right off is the code that controls blinking the G.I. on and off now works MUCH better. Previously the old code would randomly leave the G.I. off after blinking it, and several times it was too dark to see what was going on in the playfield during a game. With the new chips, the G.I. stays on after blinking.

Well, I do make a mistake every now and then. I sent a set of those to a friend to try in his R&B and probably programmed your chips using the wrong binary.

I have had a lot of reports that these ROMs are the 'same' as the 1.30 CPU and Display, but before I offer them, I wanted to know for sure - I don't want to sell customers who have bought the 1.30 from me for years a 'newer version' if they don't gain anything from them.

Sorry about that.. if you'd prefer a set of the 1.30s, I'll be glad to ship them out, just send me a PM and LMK!

#11 10 years ago

Actually John, I'm perfectly happy with them, so no complaints here. I was just confused is all, but of course, the differences do not affect the gameplay in the slightest. They work great and fixed a major issue I was having with the original ROMs. Thanks a bunch!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.50
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rb-v32-roms-anyone-use-in-their-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.