You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RandB_Backbox_Padding.jpg
IMG_4577.JPG
IMG_4567.JPG
#1 11 years ago

OK,

My experience with working on my own R&B pinball backbox (and reading RGP posts about it), the conclusion that I (and others) have come to the conclusion that the lion backbox hat trick coil is probably overpowered for the job. All of the coils are the same, but the Rocky and Rhino coils get 32v and the Lion coil gets 50v. This is most likely why the Lion plastics are beat to crap and there is often a notch in the lion metal lever arm where it smashes into the backbox assembly frame.

I removed all of the lever arms, cleaned the pivot points with iso alcohol of any old grease and dirt and lubed very sparingly with teflon gel at the metal-to-metal pivots. I also cleaned the plungers and the coil sleeves.

With everything moving freely and several new parts, at the factory wiring the lion plastic and lever arm were just smashing upwards too hard, IMO.

I de-soldered the 50v power wire from the lion coil, heat-shrunk over the exposed end and tucked it away with a zip tie. I then cut a new piece of wire, tinned both ends and daisy chained the lion coil from the 32v power wire that already was chained between the Rocky and Rhino coils. I used the end lug because it only had one wire on it already. It was very easy to do.

RussMyers

IMG_4567.JPGIMG_4567.JPG IMG_4577.JPGIMG_4577.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Thank you, Russ. I'll do the same to mine.

#3 11 years ago

Be sure to test function before you button it back up, but on mine there was still PLENTY of power to get the job done.

The Lion plastic still goes fully up and down smoothly, no hesitation or binding or anything.

RM

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Be sure to test function before you button it back up, but on mine there was still PLENTY of power to get the job done.
The Lion plastic still goes fully up and down smoothly, no hesitation or binding or anything.
RM

Did the mod this morning. Worked excellent, and no slamming like before.

Thanks again.

#5 11 years ago

Boo yah.

RM

#6 11 years ago

I also recommend upgrading the padding under the hat trick plastics.

The foam weather stripping is just not good enough. The edges of the plastics come down like guillotines and chop it up. This is also a factor in the plastics breaking, IMO.

I used adhesive-backed felt, cut to cover the entire metal plate the plastics rest and land on.

Like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100198682/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=self-adhesive+felt&storeId=10051#.URehzvLjKf0

RussMyers

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

I also recommend upgrading the padding under the hat trick plastics.
The foam weather stripping is just not good enough. The edges of the plastics come down like guillotines and chop it up. This is also a factor in the plastics breaking, IMO.
I used adhesive-backed felt, cut to cover the entire metal plate the plastics rest and land on.
Like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100198682/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=self-adhesive+felt&storeId=10051#.URehzvLjKf0
RussMyers

Could you post a pic?

#8 11 years ago

Different question but at what point during game play is the ramp diverted supposed to flip over. Not the diverted for the hatrick - one on the actual ramp

#9 11 years ago

How's this?

RM

RandB_Backbox_Padding.jpgRandB_Backbox_Padding.jpg

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Different question but at what point during game play is the ramp diverted supposed to flip over. Not the diverted for the hatrick - one on the actual ramp

I believe it always opens when you hit the right ramp so that the ball returns to the right flipper. I can't recall it ever not opening so that a shot to the right ramp returns to the left flipper.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

I believe the Spin n Win ramp diverter diverts the ball back to the Right Flipper always, except when Spin N Win is active, so you can keep hitting the right ramp from the left flipper.

From the IPDB ruleset:

"Spin-n-Win
The first frame shows Bullwinkle on the left side of the screen and a steam roller on the right side. This round lasts for 20 seconds as well. The goal is to keep hitting the right ramp. The Pie will keep changing, and the color that is lit at the time you hit the switch is the value you get (it's either 5M, 15M, 10M, or 20M, in that order). The ramp diverter will NOT divert the ball this round, enabling you to keep shooting the right ramp over and over. Hitting it resets the timer to 4 seconds for unlimited shots. The total is displayed here too, but it is awarded as you go. This round can actually be pretty lucrative if you can keep hitting the ramp, esp. with an average value of 12.5M per ramp shot!"

RM

#12 11 years ago

Perfect! Thanks Russ.

9 years later
#13 1 year ago

Did this tonight. Thank you for saving my new plastics and tracks from getting smashed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 29.50
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.00
3,900 (OBO)
Boards
PinSound

$ 27.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rb-rocky-and-bullwinkle-mod-to-reduce-power-at-the-lion-backbox-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.