Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Insane
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 7 years ago

So this is my project r&b I have been messing with https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-rb-cpu-parts-list
So I have all the battery damaged cleaned up and fixed. Replaced a lot of the tip122's for the coils. At first it was working well and then Radom coils would lock on. So figured the tip122's I had were junk. So re-replaced them and now I am having other coils lock on that haven't locked on before. Both of them are 50v coils. The play field vuk and the lion feature in the back box. The transistors on CPU and ppb board check out good still. Could it be further upstream? I'd love to get this working before a Christmas party that is happening next week.

#2 7 years ago

Can you pull them off the board safely and use a transistor testing meter (even harbor freight junk) to see if they're okay. Overheating them can fry a transistor?
Also can you check the logic outputs are okay, board damage and bad sockets and bad PIAs can be insidious.

#3 7 years ago

I can pull the transistors but no logic probe. Will report back in a few

#4 7 years ago

Well, found 3 pre drivers blown and 2 drivers. So put it back in same coil locks and this time blew the 50v fuse on the ppb board. Don't get what could be causing them to blow

#5 7 years ago

I would link this thread to the R&B club page, in case someone misses it here.
I would also look into this, I did it on mine.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rb-rocky-and-bullwinkle-mod-to-reduce-power-at-the-lion-backbox-coil

#6 7 years ago

I am pretty sure if you replace the ppb board, it would solve your problems and they can be had for about $120. Board work can be tricky. I have had some successes and some failures and I had similar coil locking problems on a data east. I replaced the Q5 transistor and everything worked for a minute then blew the transistor. I then replaced the diode that appeared to have blown when the transistor went and everything worked again for a minute and then burned up the transistor. I gave up and put in the replacement ppb board and no problems since. If you decide to replace the board, make sure you get the right one. There are 2 different ones that went into data east dmd machines.

#7 7 years ago

The messed up part is that the ppb is good. The tip122's are what keep blowing on the cpu

#8 7 years ago

So I unplugged the lion coil and thought I'd try it again after replacing the f5 fuse. So turned it on and fuse instantly fried. Never seen a fuse glow that bright before. So any ideas though?

#9 7 years ago

I did the lion mod on mine and wired something backwards. I think my fuse lit up like a Christmas tree. I don't exactly remember which wires though.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I did the lion mod on mine

What's the lion mod?

#11 7 years ago

the lion mod takes it down from the 50v. I think I may need to do some checking on the power supply. I am thinking maybe something is shorted and is not regulating the voltage properly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
$ 29.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rb-coils-keep-locking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.