56BB222B-9578-4793-8975-95727AD0EB2D.gif
BD7625E7-40E3-403A-84E4-B263F7215220.gif
84709FE1-FEA0-4A6D-9752-F716DA38680A (resized).jpeg
AAF98977-33FC-4FF4-AC7A-332A4153F493.gif
s6hdwntp7a701 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
8AF1E999-E259-4D4B-BC47-08F72E95903D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,299 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 66.
#2751 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

The odds are much better on literally anything in Vegas, and the returns are probably greater. This was pure madeness to "gamble" on. The whole rolling the dice thing is such a sad cope.

Right. The implication is that somehow it was "worth the thrill."

We ALL took the same high-adrenaline thrill ride. Some of us just got on the ride for free while others spent thousands of dollars.

#2752 2 years ago

Yeah I really don't understand the whole gambling mentality. I think people like NoMonkey do this because they have their bases covered and can say "Told you so!" in either outcome.

I told you Robturd would pull through and make my game!

or

I told you it was a gamble. Oh well, I just lost a few hundred dollars I was already planning on losing.

#2753 2 years ago

Sadly this whole "gambling" mentality is on full display right here for all future scammers to read.

People that are wondering why pinball attracts these scammers, look no further.

FOMO and ego (look at what I have, are you jealous?) fuel these rip off artists.

It's really bizaare how proud some of these marks are about how they were "ride or die" on these projects.

#2754 2 years ago
Quoted from NoMonkey:

I haven't said a word to Ben up until now and I've only done so because he's taken his childish, gaslighting behavior to a new level. Being excited that good people have lost money to a crook so you can feel better about yourself is just sad.
Past that, being a troll with an inflated ego and retaliating because people have said mean things to you on a pinball forum are not mutually exclusive.

Not good people. Good people do not support liars, thieves, and con men.

#2755 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

I think it's stamps now days and not cigarettes

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Stamps are out, it’s individual coffee creamers now.

Nope.

Top Ramens are the main prison currency. Sometimes tobacco too, although it's been banned from most prisons.

#2756 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Yeah I really don't understand the whole gambling mentality. I think people like NoMonkey do this because they have their bases covered and can say "Told you so!" in either outcome.
I told you Robturd would pull through and make my game!
or
I told you it was a gamble. Oh well, I just lost a few hundred dollars I was already planning on losing.

I mean, you've literally just described what a gamble is and then tried to use that very same definition against itself. It seems to me you do understand the gambling mentality, you just don't want to accept it.

Knowingly throwing money at something that may or may not pan out is not a new concept. To argue that it was so obvious it would 100% never work out is just disingenuous. There was a chance, just a small one. Hence the gamble.

Quoted from RJW:

Sadly this whole "gambling" mentality is on full display right here for all future scammers to read.
People that are wondering why pinball attracts these scammers, look no further.
FOMO and ego (look at what I have, are you jealous?) fuel these rip off artists.
It's really bizaare how proud some of these marks are about how they were "ride or die" on these projects.

I do agree that if some scammer is sitting there wondering if there are people that play fast and loose with their spare money, they will find plenty of proof here. That said, I don't think this is the thread that will open their eyes to that concept for the first time. Perhaps, at the very least, it will serve as a cautionary tale to others thinking of taking a risk on a new company, RM, or JPop.

There is definitely a level of FOMO and ego involved here. Nothing wrong with that in general. Hell either of those things are like 50% of pinball. For instance when a new machine from Stern or whomever else is announced. Is it more of a sure thing? Of course! But people want in for different reasons. Some to flip, some to say they have it, some to just love and play the game they just purchased, or all of the above. To me this argument is moot.

Regarding being "ride or die": I can't say I was really ever of that mind set though I did see some of that from other preorder people at times so I get it. For me, I put down my deposit and moved on with my life after the early excitement wore off.

Quoted from mrgone:

Not good people. Good people do not support liars, thieves, and con men.

Good to know!

#2757 2 years ago

Thread title updated. Will add a warning at the top of the first post later today so it's clear how things have turned out.

#2758 2 years ago

I actually was secretly rooting for these pins to see the light of day. There would have been so much chaos because even if Robert wasn’t getting owned by the SEC, there was no way Deeproot could survive into a second pin. That means we would have seen RAZAs for sale at $50k on the market and everyone would have lost their cookies. All the things you keep coming back to Pinside for.

#2759 2 years ago
Quoted from NoMonkey:

I mean, you've literally just described what a gamble is and then tried to use that very same definition against itself. It seems to me you do understand the gambling mentality, you just don't want to accept it.
Knowingly throwing money at something that may or may not pan out is not a new concept. To argue that it was so obvious it would 100% never work out is just disingenuous. There was a chance, just a small one. Hence the gamble.

I do agree that if some scammer is sitting there wondering if there are people that play fast and loose with their spare money, they will find plenty of proof here. That said, I don't think this is the thread that will open their eyes to that concept for the first time.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"5f715868bd6e67c20c610c338cc8f77d2a72bcf8-1629935324-1800"};
//]]>

Perhaps, at the very least, it will serve as a cautionary tale to others thinking of taking a risk on a new company, RM, or JPop.
There is definitely a level of FOMO and ego involved here. Nothing wrong with that in general. Hell either of those things are like 50% of pinball. For instance when a new machine from Stern or whomever else is announced. Is it more of a sure thing? Of course! But people want in for different reasons. Some to flip, some to say they have it, some to just love and play the game they just purchased, or all of the above. To me this argument is moot.
Regarding being "ride or die": I can't say I was really ever of that mind set though I did see some of that from other preorder people at times so I get it. For me, I put down my deposit and moved on with my life after the early excitement wore off.

Good to know!

You’ve handled this loss with dignity, grace and humor. Respect given Sir.

7DD51D25-67C4-4935-9BB4-A3A61CF06A03.gif7DD51D25-67C4-4935-9BB4-A3A61CF06A03.gif
#2760 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

You’ve handled this loss with dignity, grace and humor. Respect given Sir.[quoted image]

Seconded!

#2761 2 years ago

Pre-ordering RAZA was not a gamble.

When you gamble, you at least have a chance at winning.

#2762 2 years ago

FOMO and the BBB story definitely was what got me into RAZA during the original zidware phase. As much as $10k was at the time for a pin, I knew it was a "now or never" decision as I wouldn't pay BBB prices later for it. I wanted a Zombie game. And I was a jpop fan (like a lot of us were, or at least the Wonka fantasy version of him we had in our heads).

I wish the original zidware blog was still up, to review that about when things started to crack. It wasn't just Expo 2014 empty cabinets, that was definitely the "Emperor has no clothes" moment, but the suspicion and doubt were creeping in.

From memory, it was a slow drum beat of John simply avoiding the questions he didn't want to answer. And that suspicion continued to feed on itself.

But not before I happily sent him $6500.

#2763 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I wish the original zidware blog was still up, to review that about when things started to crack.

https://magicgirldev.wordpress.com/

#2764 2 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Nope.
Top Ramens are the main prison currency. Sometimes tobacco too, although it's been banned from most prisons.

You forgot Fruit Stripe gum. The flavor lasts 2 minutes but gets rid of that fellow inmate aftertaste.

#2765 2 years ago

oh man, remember he saw lebowski pinball with the rug, but didnt get the connection so he put a random rug under one of his pinballs in the studio?

#2766 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

oh man, remember he saw lebowski pinball with the rug, but didnt get the connection so he put a random rug under one of his pinballs in the studio?

I don't think he ever saw TBL, lol, he thought people just liked rugs and bowling. Which leads us to pussycat bowling, yet another fake game from JPOOP. He has an amazing disconnect from reality from what I've read

#2767 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

FOMO and the BBB story definitely was what got me into RAZA during the original zidware phase. As much as $10k was at the time for a pin, I knew it was a "now or never" decision as I wouldn't pay BBB prices later for it. I wanted a Zombie game. And I was a jpop fan (like a lot of us were, or at least the Wonka fantasy version of him we had in our heads).

This was already at a point where he has taken money for MG & had nothing to show for it. How come that didn’t set off any alarms for you.

#2768 2 years ago

JPOP .... RIP .... pinball career is dead!

#2769 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Never say never! It's worked twice. The next time will just be a little different. The refund idea was a really nice addition this past time.

#2770 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

If you get past the last 9 years of disasters known as JPOP, to find the last machine John “designed” which was actually produced and was a good game, you’d have to travel back to the nineties. No, I am sure that JPOP’s pinball career has been over for a long time now - r.i.p.

#2771 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Never say never! It's worked twice. The next time will just be a little different. The refund idea was a really nice addition this past time.

I wonder if Jpop had anything to do with killing Zizzle? That would have been strike 1.

Zidware MG, RAZA, AIW - strike 2, 3, 4.

Pintasia, strike 5.

Houdini/American Pinball, strike 6.

Did I forget anything? If not, that makes Derp Poop his 7th pinball failure since the B/W days ended.

#2772 2 years ago

While thinking about how toxic John is to anything or anyone he touches… nobody would want to hire that guy, right? Only a moron would hire him, yes? Or someone who doesn’t want their company to survive and has decided to ensure it goes belly up. Someone who might benefit from having their company blowing up. Sound a little bit like the plot of the Producers? Well not really but he’s a real life nuclear wrecking ball.

With all that said, I DO see a future biz opportunity for John for companies to hire him when they need a factory disaster to draw attention away from whatever scam they are running. So he’s got that going for him.

#2773 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I wonder if Jpop had anything to do with killing Zizzle? That would have been strike 1.
Zidware MG, RAZA, AIW - strike 2, 3, 4.
Pintasia, strike 5.
Houdini/American Pinball, strike 6.
Did I forget anything? If not, that makes Derp Poop his 7th pinball failure since the B/W days ended.

yeah # 6 is really like #6 & #7 with #6 being the separate action by AP to build and ship 21(?) fake MG’s to fulfill Zidware contractual obligations and keep customers at bay. #7 is hiring JPOP as lead designer of AP and assigning him to design Houdini and then firing him when he wouldn’t take his thumb out of his ass.

So deeproot was life #8 and JPOP is literally on his 9th and final life. If you believe in that sort of thing, like me.

#2774 2 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Pre-ordering RAZA was not a gamble.
When you gamble, you at least have a chance at winning.

I mean they did produce 2 RAZAs. That’s like hitting 00 green on roulette

85ED7705-F309-4162-BB1F-89D612A5145B (resized).png85ED7705-F309-4162-BB1F-89D612A5145B (resized).png
#2775 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I wish the original zidware blog was still up, to review that about when things started to crack. It wasn't just Expo 2014 empty cabinets, that was definitely the "Emperor has no clothes" moment, but the suspicion and doubt were creeping in.
From memory, it was a slow drum beat of John simply avoiding the questions he didn't want to answer. And that suspicion continued to feed on itself.
But not before I happily sent him $6500.

His opening proposition of how many games he would build never made sense from day 1 (being a business- not just a homebrew guy). It’s like the 750k/m burn rate moment for deeproot. It made no sense what so ever to make a viable business — yet people refuse to face simple maths that show the story was untenable.

People need to stop burying basic maths about business plans simply because they really want to believe and think ‘this guy is different!’

Everyone has bills to pay… and the money isn’t free. That doesn’t change because they have a cool idea…. The maths need to work or the course is set.

#2776 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This was already at a point where he has taken money for MG & had nothing to show for it. How come that didn’t set off any alarms for you.

I'm wiser now because of it .

Honestly, if I put myself in the mindset back then... there had been no pinball failures yet. It was rainbows and unicorn time.

#2777 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

People need to stop burying basic maths about business plans simply because they really want to believe and think ‘this guy is different!’

Everyone has bills to pay… and the money isn’t free. That doesn’t change because they have a cool idea…. The maths need to work or the course is set.

That's the biggest lesson, and why I had zero room to give to deeproot. I didn't bother signing their zidware agreement because none of this made sense. Some people did get a refund, so my hardcore suspicion didn't pay off as well as it could have. But at least I've never lost money again.

#2778 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That's the biggest lesson, and why I had zero room to give to deeproot. I didn't bother signing their zidware agreement because none of this made sense. Some people did get a refund, so my hardcore suspicion didn't pay off as well as it could have. But at least I've never lost money again.

Yeah the goodwill refund path never made fiscal sense… and i even said they wouldn’t pay (when they launched it)…. But he did in fact. Of course now that we know he basically had money to burn and zero-fcks about actually making a viable business it makes more sense how he could gamble by making that cash-out offer

It’s easy to throw money around when it’s not yours.

It’s a Lloyd Christmas suitcase of money moment

#2779 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Did you not get $6500 worth of value from the private users group and one on one conversations with the legendary pinball designer Jpop?

I sure learned a lot for the money I spent. Now I am wiser and will be that evil guy warning others as long as companies are not solvent.

May RAZA die it’s much deserved death and may John sweep floors for his future career endeavors.

#2780 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

His opening proposition of how many games he would build never made sense from day 1 (being a business- not just a homebrew guy). It’s like the 750k/m burn rate moment for deeproot. It made no sense what so ever to make a viable business — yet people refuse to face simple maths that show the story was untenable.

Yeah but the "needle-mover" is that his guy was "rich." "Rich" trumps logic for many, many people, which we've seen over and over again over the last few years.

The fact that he could be a fraud, that math still applies, that the rules of science still apply does not seem to enter into anybody's mind.

"This guy is rich!!! Of course this pinball company that makes ridiculous promises and can't possibly survive at the rate it's going mathmatically will be a success!!"

#2781 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah but the "needle-mover" is that his guy was "rich." "Rich" trumps logic for many, many people, which we've seen over and over again over the last few years.
The fact that he could be a fraud, that math still applies, that the rules of science still apply does not seem to enter into anybody's mind.
"This guy is rich!!! Of course this pinball company that makes ridiculous promises and can't possibly survive at the rate it's going mathmatically will be a success!!"

1) jpop wasn't rich
2) rich business people don't stay rich with stupid choices. The same basic principals still apply.. the math monster must be fed.

People keep hiding from that reality in their blind-faith. Remember, if the math doesn't work, we'll just have to 'wait and see...'

#2782 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

People keep hiding from that reality in their blind-faith. Remember, if the math doesn't work, we'll just have to 'wait and see...'

Okay, from now on I'll remember. If the math doesn't fit the business is s**t.

#2783 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

trademark that it’s good.

#2784 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Best new quote. We need T-shirts for this.

Heighway
Deeproot
Vonnie D
Skit B
Zidware

If the math doesn’t fit, the business is sh$t

#2785 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Best new quote. We need T-shirts for this.
Heighway
Deeproot
Vonnie D
Skit B
Zidware
If the math doesn’t fit, the business is sh$t

Slight tweak: If the math's not legit, the business ain't shit

#2786 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Slight tweak: If the math's not legit, the business ain't shit

or the expanded version ... If the math's not legit, the business ain't shit and it’s time for a bong hit!

#2787 2 years ago

If the math's not legit
the business ain't shit
The staff smell like armpit
it’s time for a bong hit
Hit it and quit!

#2788 2 years ago

Honestly, you can apply it to anything, "If the math ain't legit, the (insert topic) ain't Sh$t"

Back in my days as both an engineer, and then in business development, my favorite response was, "the math doesn't lie"

#2789 2 years ago

Or how about :
I hate to be blunt
But Jpop’s a c**t

#2790 2 years ago
D5B24AD0-CC6D-4BB8-B143-8D60A3E17E3A.jpegD5B24AD0-CC6D-4BB8-B143-8D60A3E17E3A.jpeg
#2791 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

yeah # 6 is really like #6 & #7 with #6 being the separate action by AP to build and ship 21(?) fake MG’s to fulfill Zidware contractual obligations and keep customers at bay. #7 is hiring JPOP as lead designer of AP and assigning him to design Houdini and then firing him when he wouldn’t take his thumb out of his ass.
So deeproot was life #8 and JPOP is literally on his 9th and final life. If you believe in that sort of thing, like me.

Meet number 9 !

Screenshot_20210826-212855_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210826-212855_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#2792 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Pintasia, strike 5.

Please refresh. What was the debacle surrounding that Pintasia show?

#2793 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Please refresh. What was the debacle surrounding that Pintasia show?

Pintasia isn’t a show. It was a company formed to “save” Magic Girl.

#2794 2 years ago

They captured Robert’s likeness quite well.

3029859E-D411-4BBB-B0AB-DC30A33E677A (resized).jpeg3029859E-D411-4BBB-B0AB-DC30A33E677A (resized).jpeg
#2795 2 years ago

Considering the price development on new games, this is bad. The two top dogs, could do with more competition.

#2796 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Considering the price development on new games, this is bad. The two top dogs, could do with more competition.

Despite the promise of "Ferrari at Kia prices" the deeproot prices were above market, and rising fast (they announced the pre-order prices were "intro").

#2797 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Pinball is not like other businesses, where competition drives prices down. In pinball, everyone will keep raising prices no matter how many players there are.

#2798 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Pinball is not like other businesses, where competition drives prices down. In pinball, everyone will keep raising prices no matter how many players there are.

Ok, I’ll bite. Very few industries have been lowering prices in the past year. Have you tried buying a house or car lately? Food? Taking a vacation? Seems everywhere I turn the price is higher than it was a few months ago.

Demand for pinball is red hot, how can manufacturers not raise prices and take advantage? They will need those profits to survive the next downturn. I also would not say there is a lot of competition, there’s one major producer and three or four smaller players who can barely produce more than one game at a time.

#2799 2 years ago

And , as always , vote with your wallet . When you feel it’s too much - don’t buy it .

#2800 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah but the "needle-mover" is that his guy was "rich." "Rich" trumps logic for many, many people

Yeah, we've sure seen our share of that lately

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,299 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/raza-pre-order-club/page/56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.