20140918_111312.jpg
20140918_110616.jpg
20140918_110553.jpg
20140918_110535.jpg
20140918_110542.jpg
20140918_110507.jpg
20140918_110513.jpg
20140918_110527.jpg

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

RAWR! 1st Thoughts review of Walking Dead

I spent at-least 30 minutes with a Walking Dead today.
It was about a dozen games in total,
some very short, some moderate length and a few longer.

The left ramp is fun and doable (harder to repeat but can get down with flow).
The left loop is a blast (fast).
The right loop is good.
Drop targets are good to have around (adds some dynamics).
The well dweller is cool, not hard to hit and not in the way of other shots,
(at points of play I didn't even really notice him)
The right ramp is purely difficult, it has to be done just off the left flipper tip.
(I did though actually some freaking how back hand the right ramp once).
The shot under the right ramp back to the plunger is difficult as well.
The house shot is fun and challenging to keep hitting consistently.

Drain-factor: I had a decent time keeping the ball alive,
when it drains it isn't mean or vicious about it.
It basically left me wanting to keep shooting after draining instead of frustration.

The dots are Awesome!!!

The audio effects are good and the music is rock'n.

The house that opens is rad (lights up very well) and the zombie head that moves is a great mech!

The magnet in the middle has a new metal ring around it which is awesome.

The modes look like they'll be neat, can't review at this point, just speaking about the layout here.

#2 9 years ago

20140918_110527.jpg20140918_110527.jpg
20140918_110513.jpg20140918_110513.jpg
20140918_110507.jpg20140918_110507.jpg

#3 9 years ago

sweet! any call outs?

#4 9 years ago

what is that lip on the well dweller for? air ball stopper?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

sweet! any call outs?

I didn't crank it up loud, just enough to experience some audio, there's gotta be.
Bare in mind I don't watch the show or many zombie movies.
As a pinball machine I really enjoy it!

20140918_110542.jpg20140918_110542.jpg 20140918_110535.jpg20140918_110535.jpg 20140918_110553.jpg20140918_110553.jpg
#6 9 years ago

Anything to say about the sounds and speech? Sound bytes from the TV show or all call outs from the in-house Stern folks who brought you "not michael Caine" in BDK?

#7 9 years ago

Glad to see a good initial impression

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

what is that lip on the well dweller for? air ball stopper?

The lip flips up and the dweller flies back and then forth to home position.

// Error: Image 288972 not found // // Error: Image 288973 not found // // Error: Image 288974 not found //
#9 9 years ago

20140918_110616.jpg20140918_110616.jpg
20140918_111312.jpg20140918_111312.jpg
20140918_111037.jpg20140918_111037.jpg
20140918_111321.jpg20140918_111321.jpg

#10 9 years ago

I'm more curious about the code...is there alot of things missing that are on the playfield that are not in the code.????

#11 9 years ago

My top score was 108 million.

Skill shot has a neat timed setting to it, it cycles the possible score until switch is hit.

#12 9 years ago

got any video?

#13 9 years ago

Sounds like Stern's got a winner.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I'm more curious about the code...is there alot of things missing that are on the playfield that are not in the code.????

Dunno.
I just played the crap out of it, hit as many shots as I could and tested
to see if a ball could get stuck and how fun/difficult shots were.

I hit the glass twice, one made a really great sound.
One shot off of the left slingshot almost made it up the right ramp haha.

Bare in mind, Lyman is working on this, his games are badass at stacking.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

The lip flips up and the dweller flies back and then forth to home position.

Well that's cool, so he moves on the Pro version. Thanks for you initial review, looking forward to receiving mine.

#16 9 years ago

How is the music? From the television series?

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

got any video?

Nope, was just allowed to play and photograph.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from taz:

How is the music? From the television series?

Dunno, don't watch the show, but it's rock'n roll and good.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

i figured that was the case but had to ask.

#20 9 years ago

POPs: I like where they are, they're active but not overkill on how much time the ball spends up there.

#21 9 years ago

I guess this settles the "Is there a return to shooter lane on the Pro?" Question.

#22 9 years ago

The build quality of the dweller and face in the house are top notch (very solid).

#23 9 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to share Cody!

I think Curly should have his in, in 2 weeks! Another party!

#24 9 years ago

Is there a physical ball lock behind the zombie in Cell Block C?

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Is there a physical ball lock behind the zombie in Cell Block C?

no

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 9 years ago

Did the music sound anything close to this?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zoSpH9CzYzA?autoplay=1&rel=0

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

The right ramp is purely difficult, it has to be done just off the left flipper tip.

The shot geometry is interesting on this game and I look forward to playing it. I can't think of another game where the right ramp is essentially where the right orbit typically is and returns to the left flipper (repeatable). Since you have to hit it more towards the tip of the flipper wouldn't this result in less power which could make for a difficult shot to power it up a fairly steep/long ramp? I like that they changed it up. The skillshot also looks fun/interesting to me. I also can't think of another game where neither orbit shot leads to the pops? Looks like you either have to plunge for the pops or hit that inner orbit.

#28 9 years ago

Interesting, that mini post on the bottom side of the top pop bumper. Will lead to some interesting pop sequences.

#29 9 years ago

The question that begs to be asked: physical or virtual ball locks? Focus people.

#30 9 years ago

Nice review. I was commenting to a friend on day one the pics came out how that right ramp looked like it may be troublesome. Those who get one may wanna expierment with a slightly stronger coil for the left flipper.

#31 9 years ago

Does a left orbit shot go cleanly around or does it hit the right-most pop bumper on the way around?

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I spent at-least 30 minutes with a Walking Dead today.
It was about a dozen games in total,
some very short, some moderate length and a few longer.
The left ramp is fun and doable (harder to repeat but can get down with flow).
The left loop is a blast (fast).
The right loop is good.
Drop targets are good to have around (adds some dynamics).
The well dweller is cool, not hard to hit and not in the way of other shots,
(at points of play I didn't even really notice him)
(I did though actually some freaking how back hand the right ramp once).
The shot under the right ramp back to the plunger is difficult as well.
The house shot is fun and challenging to keep hitting consistently.
Drain-factor: I had a decent time keeping the ball alive,
when it drains it isn't mean or vicious about it.
It basically left me wanting to keep shooting after draining instead of frustration.
The dots are Awesome!!!
The audio effects are good and the music is rock'n.
The house that opens is rad (lights up very well) and the zombie head that moves is a great mech!
The magnet in the middle has a new metal ring around it which is awesome.
The modes look like they'll be neat, can't review at this point, just speaking about the layout here.

You said the zombie head moves in the house
- Does it fly back or drop down?
What does the fish tank do? Is it a Multiball?
Thanks for the update!

#33 9 years ago

safe to say...I think we are all pretty excited to get this game in our homes

#34 9 years ago

Any pictures of the dots? Can you be any more specific? Was it cartoonish or realistic ?

#35 9 years ago

So frustrating when Stern can't release a video on the game prior to people playing it and trying to describe features, sounds, etc.

Is it really that hard for them to do a video of the game play prior to it hitting the streets.

#36 9 years ago

I've never understood that, either. Why wouldn't you want to be in control of the first introduction to the public?

#37 9 years ago

Stern, fly me to Chicago. I'll film your video at a cut rate just to get it out there

#38 9 years ago

I talked to Jody today, and since it was an on the record conversation I don't think he'd mind me sharing a couple details here.

I was told the music is from the show, but there's no voice clips from it. So any audio will be original. I got the impression it wasn't so much about imitating the actors as it was making you a part of the narrative, so more like an original game set in the Walk Dead universe. I guess we'll find out soon.

I like that idea though, because it seems more timeless. No actors on the translite, nothing that gets super dated if someone is killed off, just a cool zombie theme that feels familiar but has its own thing going on.

I think Stern gets this one and people are going to be happy. Time will tell.

Quoted from bemmett:

So frustrating when Stern can't release a video on the game prior to people playing it and trying to describe features, sounds, etc.

Is it really that hard for them to do a video of the game play prior to it hitting the streets.

We talked about this too. They only like to shoot video when it's really ready. They know we're going to find it, shoot video ourselves, share with each other, and for the hardcore collectors that great. Remember, they serve a lot of different markets.

I'm sure they'll do a video in a bit, that's aimed at anyone who might be interested.

#39 9 years ago

Dammit!! I'm giddy as a school girl on prom night waiting for this to ship!

<---- and why does this little dood look like he's humpin' the machine?

#40 9 years ago

Looking for these answers...

-Dots: Are they TRON style (realistic) or STAR TREK STYLE (cartoon)
-Music: Is it from the tv show? Creepy? Any official music?
-Call Outs: Do they use real voice actors from the show?
-Modes: What were some of the rules and objectives?
-Code: How much is missing from 1.0?

Anything cool? Funny? Scary? Noises???

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I was told the music is from the show, but there's no voice clips from it. So any audio will be original

Ok guys lets start assembling quotes from the show for Pinball Browser

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Looking for these answers...
-Dots: Are they TRON style (realistic) or Star Trek STYLE (cartoon)
-Music: Is it from the tv show? Creepy? Any official music?
-Call Outs: Do they use real voice actors from the show?
-Modes: What were some of the rules and objectives?
-Code: How much is missing from 1.0?
Anything cool? Funny? Scary? Noises???

If you would have read through this tread, all of those questions have already been answered. Keep up man.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Ok guys lets start assembling quotes from the show for Pinball Browser

Pop bumper noises = Shane rubbing his head?

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

why does this little dood look like he's humpin' the machine?

I think you have your tilt set to sensitive!

#45 9 years ago

Seriously I'm glad you've given us this sneek peak at a machine were all super excited about. However I must say,and don't take this the wrong way your info is just about as much of a prick tease as Jodys posts on Sterns facebook page. IE: you've played the game and don't know anything about the show! Music, characters, clips. These are all things we want to know about. I can't believe the first credible review of someone playing this game has never watched the show and knows nothing about the theme other than its about zombies.

Fly me up to Chicago and ill give a real walking dead fans review of this pinball.

Starting to Worry the audio is going to suck like The Avengers or Woz. Proves once again the downfalls of licensed games, I can almost guarantee they got the license to the theme, but not the license of audio from the actors. (think Tron pinball why no Jarvis or Gem)

All in all, thank you for the review. Meant no disrespect to you. I just wished Stern would better market their material then it always coming in second hand.

#46 9 years ago

HighProtein, is this your machine? You stated you got to play a Walking Dead. I don't see it in your collection list.

#47 9 years ago

Sounds like Stern has another pin hit here.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Seriously I'm glad you've given us this sneek peak at a machine were all super excited about. However I must say,and don't take this the wrong way your info is just about as much of a prick tease as Jodys posts on Sterns facebook page. IE: you've played the game and don't know anything about the show! Music, characters, clips. These are all things we want to know about. I can't believe the first credible review of someone playing this game has never watched the show and knows nothing about the theme other than its about zombies.
Fly me up to Chicago and ill give a real Walking Dead fans review of this pinball.
Starting to Worry the audio is going to suck like The Avengers or Woz. Proves once again the downfalls of licensed games, I can almost guarantee they got the license to the theme, but not the license of audio from the actors. (think Tron pinball why no Jarvis or Gem)
All in all, thank you for the review. Meant no disrespect to you. I just wished Stern would better market their material then it always coming in second hand.

Frax, is that you?

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

HighProtein, is this your machine? You stated you got to play a Walking Dead. I don't see it in your collection list.

My guess is its not his unless his wife has harsh rules about video taping in the home ; )

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Fly me up to Chicago and ill give a real Walking Dead fans review of this pinball.

I thought from the beginning no call outs from the show as there was nothing in the promotion material. Another reason to wait for some video!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rawr-1st-thoughts-review-of-walking-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.