(Topic ID: 101706)

Raw Legs from Marco Specialities... Mod Ready..I think not!!

By flashinstinct

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_97860web.jpg
    IMG_9788web.jpg

#1 9 years ago

So I bought these legs from Marco.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-19514-N

They state the following: "New bare metal 28-1/2 inch long Williams style leg ready for your own painting, powder coating, or plating with no surface preparation required."

This is what I got? Surface Rust everywhere on all 4 legs... is this what should be expected? I think I will have to give Marco a call on Tuesday.

IMG_97860web.jpgIMG_97860web.jpg
    IMG_9788web.jpgIMG_9788web.jpg

The back side also has rust spots. No way these are near ready for anything in my opinion.

#2 9 years ago

I would think raw legs would rust fast. Which is why they prep them before plating or powder coating.

Nothing on them to prevent it.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

doesn't look too bad, depends what you are going to do with them.

a little 600/800 grid and you're ready to do about anything.

Post edited by beatmaster: typo

#4 9 years ago

So I guess I'm over reacting. Thanks for the input.

#5 9 years ago

Umm, I'd be pissed. "No surface preparation required"? Really?

#6 9 years ago

bare metal rusts - its just how it is.
    The option would have meant they were all oily and then instead of a light rubdown you would have had to wash the oil off. Not a better option

#7 9 years ago

I'd say LTG is right (as he usually is). If they put something on the legs to prevent rust (oil, grease, etc.) you'd have to remove that. I'd rather deal with a little surface rust than have to try and remove a rust preventative. A quick bead blast or some light sanding and those legs will be perfect.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

bare metal rusts - its just how it is.
    The option would have meant they were all oily and then instead of a light rubdown you would have had to wash the oil off. Not a better option

...great minds...

#9 9 years ago

Yeah this is a tough one. With them being raw I would expect surface rust to start really fast. A light coat of grease would prevent that, but then it would probably be harder to remove the grease in prep for painting than it would be to remove the light layer of rust.

#10 9 years ago

that doesn't look like bare metal to me. That has plating on it.

#11 9 years ago

I bead blasted a set of old chevy mags once in the summer and watched them rust right before my eyes in a matter of 30 mins after finishing the last one. I actually had to etch them pronto and blast the first rim again gotta love that michigan humidity it takes bare metal no time at all to react. Those should have had grease or oil on them, with plastic covering them or something to prevent the oxidation. i'd contact marco

#12 9 years ago

As everyone above has stated if you have "bare metal" it will (or can) rust within hours or even minutes on a humid day.

From my experience doing automotive body work for years any bare metal needs to be prepared prior to painting. As far as "no surface preparation required" I think what they are trying to say is you don't have to sandblast or otherwise strip before using like you would with old used legs. But surface prep is always required when painting bare metal because even skin oil on the bare metal from unpacking can mess up a paint job.

#13 9 years ago

If you're getting it powder coated, they can probably blast it anyway.
    Otherwise if you want to put in the effort, Evapo-Rust to the rescue...
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evapo-rust-24-hour-challenge-1

#14 9 years ago

IDK. I bought that exact same set form them last year and mine were perfect. Unwrapped them, wiped them down, painted, and then bolted them on. Its not a big deal but.... whatever

#15 9 years ago

Mine were the same way with light rust.

I lightly sandblasted them with Black Beauty and powdercoated them.

Came out beautiful, and saved big time blasting had they been painted.

#16 9 years ago

They could have rusted just sitting at post office or whatever

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/raw-legs-from-marco-specialities-mod-readyi-think-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.