You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GENESIS_translite_LR.jpg
qssttng.jpg
raven.JPG
raven_translite.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schusler.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from diskoboy:

I'll be blunt: It's a Gottlieb.
Gottlieb turned to crap after 1982.

Huh? Sounds like a narrow-minded view. Play a TX- Sector once or a Genesis once.. then get back to me.

#24 11 years ago

Gerry, I missed played your TX @ Expo! Don't you have the vitrigraph one as well? I was hounding somebody on RGP to sell theirs - no budging!

Sadly, Premier wasn't represented @ Expo this year. I put a butt-load of play on a Gottlieb Rock these past years and didn't even see that one....

#45 11 years ago

I'm a big fan of the System 80 series in general. I've even come around to take a liking some of the ones I disliked before: Goldwings is a prime example. Must admit as much as I tried to like Raven - just couldn't do it. This and Spring Break are probably my least favorite System 80B pins.

I think we have to admit if Raven had a hotter chick, we would just overlook the gameplay!

Speaking of which, what modeling agency did Premier use? Have you ever seen some of the chicks on Bad Girls!

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I think the issue with Gottliebs in general from the 80s and early 90s was the geometries of the playfield. I have a Pinbot and a SMB, and the SMB by comparison feels 'clunky'. The Williams machines seem to have smaller, tighter, more refined setup. I think Gottlieb's flipper bats, posts, ramps, etc all feel bigger and clunkier. It creates more visual clutter and less room and finesse for shots. I know that's a nebulous description. It's kind of like road-feel in a car. You can tell from looks, and from 'feel' while playing, that it's just not as nice.
Aside from that, the problem with using photo backglasses is that they retain the 'dated' look of the era. At least with drawing the stylization tends to reduce that effect somewhat.

Kinda get what you're saying.... but in all fairness, you're comparing one of Williams, gems to not one of the finest Premier products. The Gottlieb bats are more bulky (it's been like that since System 1?) Not sure about the ramps though. Never had an issue w/ Gottlieb ramps in general besides the cheap plastic they used. The 'visual clutter' reference is probably due to the layout of your two examples. Pinbot is like an open football field in the middle of the playfield. You want to see visual clutter? Take a look at CFTBL. Cripes you can't even see half of the playfield. Mind you I'm still a fan of it.

As far as the backglass, I might be in the minority, I'm a fan of the 'dated look". Especially if you're a fan of the '80s in general. Some of my favs: TX-Sector, Robo-War, Hollywood Heat (big Miami Vice fan), Bounty Hunter Class of 1812, Stargate. Some of my dislikes: Raven (chick is butt-ugly), Bad Girls (same m.o.), Spring Break (dude in the speedos needs to go away), Victory (Indy car w/ guns?)

Now my biggest gripe is the ONE standard light fixture in the backbox - how cheap! Bally 6803 series did this as well. But how cool would it have been to put some flashers or lamps in these backboxes.

#49 11 years ago

I forgot about Rock/Encore - would love to find one local!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schusler.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/raven-what-makes-it-bad?tu=schusler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.