(Topic ID: 337568)

Raven Sound - Missing ROM vs. bad 6502(s) ?

By FleetMitch

11 months ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Raven sound board pic (resized).jpg
#1 11 months ago

The attached picture shows no ROM in K3, and the ROMs in N3 and K2 have tape over a "window"/LED ?!?!. So, is it obvious that I have no sound due to missing ROM? And if so, how do I get one?

If not, I worked through responses on the Gottlieb forum, and confirmed I have power supply to the sound board as should be; and I followed the pinwiki below - and need help interpreting my results:
Pinwiki:
"5.18.6 System 80B Sound Board (MA-766):
Since this sound board is really just a more complex MPU board, or single board computer, the usual diagnostic steps are in order.

Verify the ROM images are valid.
Ensure that the reset signal begins low and then transitions to high after about 1/2 second.
Ensure that the external clock signal is present at pin 37 of both 6502 processors.
Ensure that the data lines on the 6502 (pins 33 through 26) are pulsing.
Ensure that the address lines on the 6502 (pins 9 through 20, 22 through 25) are pulsing.
Ensure that the external clocks are pulsing at pins 3 and 39 of the 6502 processors."

So my Raven's sound board LED blinks, and the first three steps and last step above verify. But what if step 4 has the N1 6502 pins 33-26 are not pulsing; and step 5 has the N1 6502 pins 9-20 and 22-25 not pulsing and the T3 6502 pins 9-20 & 22 pulsing yet pins 23-25 not pulsing - how do I interpret that? Is it as simple as the 6502s aren't functioning correctly?

Raven sound board pic (resized).jpgRaven sound board pic (resized).jpg
#2 11 months ago
Quoted from FleetMitch:

The attached picture shows no ROM in K3, and the ROMs in N3 and K2 have tape over a "window"/LED ?!?!. So, is it obvious that I have no sound due to missing ROM?

Using the pinmame rom ident info, there are only 2 roms on the sound board for Raven, so you aren't missing a rom. The black tape is over a window so the eprom doesn't get erased from stray UV.... if the roms are glowing like an LED, they are bad (inserted backwards at some point possibly).

Sorry I don't have any other info on the sound board, maybe ChrisHibler can shed some light on it as he's the current gottlieb guru.

#3 11 months ago

It’s not as simple as a failed 6502.
The lack of activity on the data or address lines mean that the processor isn’t running.

The possible reasons for that are numerous.
I find that failed 6116 is the predominant reason for “lane failure”.

After that, the LS374 input buffer.

This is not an easy board to diagnose.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
Thank you for checking out the PinWiki - http://www.PinWiki.com/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/raven-sound-missing-rom-vs-bad-6502s- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.