• Latest reply 6 years ago by Topher5000
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A5 Circuit (resized).jpg
gtb_sound_chart_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 7 years ago

Earlier in the thread you linked this page:

https://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2044&sid=329add4230f5b2dca2d7c8156c178436

Did you follow the section from Atomicboy about testing the data pathway, specifically steps 2 and 3? There's a typo in the instructions for step 2. The pins to ground on Z13 are 2, 4, 6 and 8 for Sound 1, 2, 4 and 8 respectively.

Step 4 is written for System 80, not 80B, so for Sys 80B you'll need to look at Q5 on the driver board. Upstream from Q5 is Z2, a 74175. The signals of interest on that chip are pin 4 (LD1) and pin 9 (DS2).

LD1 is controlled by Z32, a 7417 on the MPU.
DS2 is controlled by Z34, a 7404 on the MPU. Z34 is controlled by Z33, a 74154.

My Raven had problems playing the correct sounds and music. Game start was correct, but when you started playing a ball it would play the game over music or no music at all. Some target sounds were correct, others not. Bonus sound was incorrect as well.

Sound 1, 2, 4 and 8 all checked out ok so that meant my problem was sound 16. Grounding the input on the sound board did not make a sound so I just started shotgunning. I replaced every component in the path all the way back to Z34. Z34 was bad, but a known good chip still didn't fix it. I probed the outputs of Z33 and pin 3 looked a little odd, but I couldn't say definitively that it was bad. Finally, I replaced Z33 and that fixed it. That one output was bad, the chip worked perfectly other than that. I always assumed that if a decoder went bad it would be more catastrophic, but now I know better.

Hope this helps you track down your problem.

2 months later
#60 7 years ago

Need more info here. You need to start at the sound input pins on the sound board and see if you can make them produce sound. Then you need to test from the outputs of Z13 on driver board. Then inputs on Z13 and so on. Where is your first failure point?

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

Is checking a sys80b the same procedure, grounding pins 1 thru 8?

Yes, but for Raven you should only expect to hear sounds when grounding 4 of the 8 pins. Follow the instructions in post #52. You can start at the driver board if you're confident the sound board is ok.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/raven-no-sound?tu=dothedoo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.