Pred 1 (resized).jpg
Predful (resized).jpg
pf rlcd (resized).jpg
pf drops (resized).jpg
Rav Pops (resized).jpg
Predator POPS n Drops (resized).jpg
Predator PST 1 (resized).jpg
D2924A70-88D1-4EA9-94FB-A7736F2E3B6C (resized).jpeg

There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
#351 3 years ago

Just got one but need a translite. Anyone have an original translite they want to sell me?

Thank you.

#352 3 years ago

Raven kicks ASS

#353 3 years ago

it’s true. Can’t wait to get my MPU back. Sent it out for repair a while ago so hopefully on it’s way back sometime soon. Miss playing it, and it’s nestled between AC⚡️DC and BKSOR.

#354 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

it’s true. Can’t wait to get my MPU back. Sent it out for repair a while ago so hopefully on it’s way back sometime soon. Miss playing it, and it’s nestled between AC⚡️DC and BKSOR.

Awesome!!

2 weeks later
#355 3 years ago

I got a love hate relationship with my Raven. I end up playing it everyday but some days it can be a real bitch. The play field is roached with cracking and torn up mylar but it doesn't seem to affect the ball travel much. Just to get it working I had to do a massive amount of work. Re-solder the daughter board, replace the navram ,repair the display board and sound board. Eventually I plan on rethemeing this machine and think I'm going to make some changes. I like the rule set but the music sucks ,some of the sounds are terrible and i especially hate the crickets and 80's bomb drop sound. I'm working on a new sound board to fix this. The yellow targets down below are absolute drain shots. I have fixed my flippers and they are hot enough to get up the ramp easily. I really like this machine so this is what I want to change.....1. the cheesy ramp has got to go...2.the ramp shot needs to be opened up. Will fix this and the lower targets by redesigning the lower targets to be angled.
Any thoughts on what anyone else would change to make the game better?

2 months later
#356 3 years ago

I own two pins, and Raven is one of my top two!

It truly was a "gateway" pin (as was stated above)... I bought one in San Diego about 15 years ago, then caught the bug & landed a Fish Tales. Sold the Raven a couple years later when I retired from the Navy & had to thin the herd (I had a garage arcade packed with 19 games total at one point, mostly video arcades). So, I just recently got my grubby paws on another Raven and am in the process of shopping it out. Just ordered some parts today & will get a few more as time goes on. It is playable "as is", but something about all those fuses wrapped in aluminum foil

Now I just need to replace the Roy Clark The Entertainer I had to let go of! Do those still go for $100?

#357 3 years ago
Quoted from Tk1056:

I own two pins, and Raven is one of my top two!
It truly was a "gateway" pin (as was stated above)... I bought one in San Diego about 15 years ago, then caught the bug & landed a Fish Tales. Sold the Raven a couple years later when I retired from the Navy & had to thin the herd (I had a garage arcade packed with 19 games total at one point, mostly video arcades). So, I just recently got my grubby paws on another Raven and am in the process of shopping it out. Just ordered some parts today & will get a few more as time goes on. It is playable "as is", but something about all those fuses wrapped in aluminum foil
Now I just need to replace the Roy Clark The Entertainer I had to let go of! Do those still go for $100?

Welcome back!

I’m excited to get Raven back as well...had my same machine for 30 years now but the MPU was causing resets so I sent it out for repairs a few months ago and it is fixed and on its way back! Will be like a whole new game again.

#358 3 years ago

Here are a couple of ramp up down pictures I was asked to post.

b130 (resized).JPGb130 (resized).JPGb131 (resized).JPGb131 (resized).JPGb132 (resized).JPGb132 (resized).JPG
#359 3 years ago

You are one fine example of a human being. Thank you!

#360 3 years ago

If anyone needs any other pics, I have mine open for the time being and can provide them easily.

#361 3 years ago

This spring, my Ravens random resetting got to the point where it was almost unplayable. Progressively worse problem that has been on the machine since 2000. Had various techs reflow solder, “clean” connections, etc. I did the big ground mod in the base of the cabinet. In 2017 I had a new old stock used MPU put in. Still, the problem persisted.

Had the MPU fixed all up over the past couple of months by a real expert, Chris Hibler. Can’t say enough about the quality of the work that I noticed on the board. Amazing. He found that the “crystals” on the board were bad after sifting through lots of other potential issues. Replaced with NVRAM and bypassed the reset board and did some other nice touch ups that are technically way beyond me, while he was at it.

The game booted slowly and oddly a few times with the new board. Sometimes would take 20 seconds for the scoreboard to come on. Checked the voltage and it was at 5.3 (pot was maxed out), so I turned it down to 4.99. Seemed to boot better after that. Not sure if that original power board is reliable and stable, just yet.

Played about 10 games on it yesterday and remembered what fun Raven is. Unfortunately, the fun was short lived, and with 550,000 going on ball 1, it locked up (not reset) and that was that. The left plastic ramp hole light (the big bright bulb) went full solid bright, the knocker sound hit, and all scoring stopped. I could operate the flippers but nothing registered.

After that, when I turned it off and back on, the game boots fine and starts a game, but then repeats the first two notes of the (oh so catchy) music, and doesn’t launch the ball to the shooter lane.

Here’s where I am now:

- the fuse F9 blew (1a slow burn). This is likely the cause of the ball sitting in the drain trough and not getting kicked to the shooter lane, since that is the purpose of the F9 fuse. “Hopefully” it’s also the cause of the music stuttering, but I’m scared about that. The question begs, WHY did this fuse blow after umpteen years, just after getting it all cleaned up with a nice solid board, and is the music messing up related somehow?

- while I was under there looking for the fuse issue, I found two other “issues”

- found a broken/wire separated diode on the left sling. Saw the one side of the wire wasn’t going into the little black diode. Probably not great, but did that cause the F9 fuse blow all of the sudden? I highly doubt it just broke last night, and has probably been bad for years. Anyway, new diodes on order and I’ll fix that up.

- my rear sniper (under the ramp) has been wonky for years. He never descends when the game starts like the other 3 do. He also “kills himself” when he is the chosen sniper target. At that point, he DOES drop.

In case my fuse issue was something coil related, I figured it was time to really dig in on that sniper assembly. Measured the resistance on the coil and it seemed fine. Measured 9.2-9.4. (Oddly, all of the coils including this one bounce all around to huge numbers rapidly and sometimes finally settle at 9.2. I measure with the machine off. That makes zero sense to me).

I then noticed that when the game powers on, all the snipers pop up, but then the coils release the mechanisms below the table, and are “resting” down. Well, that rear coil didn’t fully drop the mechanism and I saw it was stuck 50% down. If I smacked the coil or the metal assembly, it quickly dropped down.

Opened up the coil and cleaned out the sleeve and put fresh graphite powder all in there. Now it works perfectly. Easy fix I should have checked out years ago!

Anyway, I sort of doubt that was a “coil issue” drawing current...I think the coil operated correctly but the piston was just getting stuck in the sleeve when the coil released, and didn’t let the sniper descend until the coil activated again (ie when he got “hit”, and it would jolt it enough to then drop down.)

So, I’m awaiting a box of 1a slow burn fuse and the 1N4004 diode and I’m curious what will happen then.

Scared of something ominous that blew this fuse, and the music glitching has me really worried.

#362 3 years ago

So I just bought a "new" (to me) Raven & it comes with some cool features. See if you can find the mystery features in the photos!

Special thanks goes out to the previous technician(s) who worked on this machine, and gave me the opportunity to brush up on some neglected skills.

image0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage3 (resized).jpegimage3 (resized).jpegimage4 (resized).jpegimage4 (resized).jpegimage5 (resized).jpegimage5 (resized).jpegimage6 (resized).jpegimage6 (resized).jpegimage7 (resized).jpegimage7 (resized).jpeg
#363 3 years ago
Quoted from Tk1056:

So I just bought a "new" (to me) Raven & it comes with some cool features. See if you can find the mystery features in the photos!
Special thanks goes out to the previous technician(s) who worked on this machine, and gave me the opportunity to brush up on some neglected skills.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Why do people wrap fuses in foil? Is it because current wasn’t flowing? Or to bypass them so they don’t blow?

#364 3 years ago

Actual answer:
To bypass it. The fuse blew and no longer works, so they decided to just remove that nuisance from the system.

Alternative answer:
Because they hate safety. Rather than spend $0.05 on a new fuse, they prefer to ignore the root cause of the problem and instead to potentially fry a circuit board costing hundreds of dollars, or maybe even burn the house down. Fuses serve an important purpose!

And foil is the lazy way to do it anyway. An enterprising individual will use a penny, a key, or that old fork from the back of the drawer.

#365 3 years ago

Can someone tell me how wide the cabinet and back box are ?

#366 3 years ago

Back box is 27.75” wide. Body is 22” wide. Back foot to front foot is 51”.

#367 3 years ago

Welcome to where all the cool kids hang out!

#368 3 years ago

My pack of 1a slo-burns arrived today so I’ll replace my freshly blown fuse F9.

As it is now, the ball sits in the drain and won’t kick to the shooter lane. Also the music just repeats the first two notes. I’m scared of the underlying cause. Never had a fuse blow or this music issue (hope the music is because the machine can’t “move on” and kick the ball out), after having spent a bunch to have the MPU fixed and bullet proofed.

I do have that one trashed diode on the left sling. Going to try and solder in a fresh one.

Third thing will be putting a fresh new power board (the kind locked in at 5v), more just to eliminate the potential for the old pot style to get wonky.

I’ll do all that then then fire it up and pray. Ugh. I just want it working again.

#369 3 years ago

Well, the new power board has me booting nicely. Diode and fuse replaced and all is right with the world. One finicky sniper I can’t figure out (just put a post in General Tech)

ONE EASY QUESTION for you guys. What the heck is Special worth??! I finally got a manual and see that switch 22 changes Special between “special” and “extra ball”. Well, when I put the switch to extra ball, it gives me an extra ball. But when I put it to Special, all it does is do the fancy show but give 10k points just like any normal upper target hit. Does anyone get a better Special points reward somehow, or what is the point of it then? Frankly I think the extra ball is probably a more fun reward but just curious.

#370 3 years ago

mine is set and it gives a credit and plays the god bless america tune

#371 3 years ago

the small pancake coils on the snipers are tricky and a PIA to get adjusted right....they drop the snipers at the beginning of the game and when they switch from one to the other during the game

#372 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

the small pancake coils on the snipers are tricky and a PIA to get adjusted right....they drop the snipers at the beginning of the game and when they switch from one to the other during the game

Thank you for both answers!

The manual is tricky...one dip switch setting implies you have a choice between “special” and “extra ball” (22) and another switch farther down implies the choice of “credit” or “extra ball”, if memory serves me. From your explanation, it seems like the only real choice for special is credit or extra ball. I kept looking for a points based special reward, like 100k at least, but I guess not! Makes sense to set it to extra ball then! And oh MAN is that rockin’ when it plays God Bless America!

Thank you for the info on the pancake coils. After some investigating, I also learned how they operate like you explained.

As it sits now, something isn’t right with the topmost guy. He pops up correctly now in Attract, but the pancake doesn’t fire to drop him when you start a game. I’ve taken it out and physically watched it, and it doesn’t fire.

What’s odd to me is that the coil tests that it has voltage across it at all times. I tested a working one and it does not. But that logically seems backwards to me. If it’s getting voltage, wouldn’t it be firing all the time and kick the sniper down non-stop!?

Anyway, I ordered a new pancake coil to see if that helps. Also ordered a pack of transistors since 3 of them on the driver board are what control the snipers. (Hopefully I can somehow figure out which one exactly goes to that top sniper!). If it isn’t the coil or the transistor, I’m out of ideas.

SO close to having my Raven 100% for the first time since I bought it 30 years ago!0

#373 3 years ago

It may not be the coil ...my left one in front of the flipper would test but would not drop on game start ....I remember fiddling with that adjustment for about an hour to get it right .....you need to make it just enough so he stays up but pulls down with very little tension of the pancake coil
had to play with the spring tension and I think the actual armature distance to the top of the coil ......to far away and it doesn't pull

#374 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

It may not be the coil ...my left one in front of the flipper would test but would not drop on game start ....I remember fiddling with that adjustment for about an hour to get it right .....you need to make it just enough so he stays up but pulls down with very little tension of the pancake coil
had to play with the spring tension and I think the actual armature distance to the top of the coil ......to far away and it doesn't pull

Thanks. This was my first thought. Mainly because I had the positioning problem going on, too, complicating a diagnosis. Mine was too far “back” so he wouldn’t catch all the time when going up. So the big coil would fire the sniper up but the bang and vibration would nudge it enough to move it off the 0.0001” that it caught the play field by, dropping him back down. Now that I fixed that, I have the problem where he won’t drop.

Why do I think it’s not an issue of me adjusting him TOO far toward?
1) with very little finger pressure or testing with a ball at low speeds, he drops
2) I’ve taken the pancake coil out of the housing and watched it at game startup. It doesn’t move.
3) that pancake coil is getting voltage across the two terminals all the time, whereas the working ones do not. This logically seems backwards to me, but maybe it is a sign the coil is bad.

Should be quick enough to solder on the new $12 one that’s on its way, and see!

#375 3 years ago

actually I would take that as a sign that the driver transistor is shorted

#376 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

actually I would take that as a sign that the driver transistor is shorted

Yeah, I have them on order too. Visually the transistor looks fine. I can’t figure out how to reliably test it with my DMM either. Weird readings on all the little transistors. Not looking forward to soldering those little legs on the board. I’ll give the coil a shot first!

#377 3 years ago

Can I ask for a picture from a fellow Raven owner?

Could I get a picture of the large coil on the top left sniper?

My question is, all 3 other large coils for snipers have TWO wires coming off one lead and one odd the other lead. This top left sniper only has ONE wire on each lead.

The extra wire is coming off the smaller pancake coil (the pancake has two wires off of one of its leads and one off the other....this is also opposite of the other 3 snipers).

I’m thinking it doesn’t matter, but since is my sniper that’s acting up, I’d like to confirm. According to the manual schematics, they are all 4 wired the same way.

Here is mine.

CFE4F9E0-6BD2-49BB-B3D8-071F96E268B8 (resized).jpegCFE4F9E0-6BD2-49BB-B3D8-071F96E268B8 (resized).jpeg
#378 3 years ago

yours is a bit cleaner then mine what can I say I got mine for 450 bucks tried to get the pancake coil too but that one didn't turn out so well

IMG_1661 (resized).JPGIMG_1661 (resized).JPGIMG_1662 (resized).JPGIMG_1662 (resized).JPG
#379 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

yours is a bit cleaner then mine what can I say I got mine for 450 bucks tried to get the pancake coil too but that one didn't turn out so well
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks so much! Crazy how they get dirty like that on their own. My fingers were black just messing around with the wires to get some pictures!

So, for electrical reasons beyond me, it seems our Ravens are wired the same. One wire on each post of the large coil, and then looks like in your pancake coil, you have the two identical colored wires coming out near each other and the other color wire coming separately from that. Strange how on the other 3 snipers it's the opposite where three wires are on the big coil and only two on the pancakes.

The pancake coil arrives today so I may have some news tonight.

Unfortunately, I was too amateur at reading the schematics in the manual and misread a post here on Pinside, and ordered the tiny MPSA13 NPN transistors (i.e. for Q5-Q12 on the driver board). After further studying, I'm changing my mind and I think the transistor for this top left sniper (L12 is the light acting as trip coil driver) is actually Q13, which is a larger (and 15x more $!) MPSU45 type transistor.

Would you guys agree that I need to target transistor Q13 if the new coil doesn't do the trick?

I have pics of the schematic I'm referring to if anyone wants to see. I wasn't sure of the rules on here of posting something like that, and if it's frowned upon because it's part of the manual

#380 3 years ago

FIXED! It was the pancake coil that was shot. I guess that also explained the voltage registering through it with the game on. Now with the new coil no voltage gets through post to post.

THRILLED to have this game all 100% working for the first time in 30 years. Of course I probably just jinxed it.

I am only confused about one thing now, regarding getting a Special award. Looking at the manual, there are two dip switch settings that interact somehow and don’t seem to make logical sense to me.

Switch 22 says it controls Playfield Special, however, whether I switch it to On (extra ball), or Off (special), or awards me an extra ball IF switch 29 is set to On (Extra Ball). Also, the song that plays whether 22 is set to On or Off is the same Extra Ball song.

So, what is the point of switch 22?

When changing switch 29 to Off (Replay), then when I get a Special it not only rewards me a credit instead of an extra ball, but it rocks out to God Bless America instead.

Basically, I can’t see what 22 does and 29 seems to control what 22 says it does.

I wish I could have the combo of God Bless America and the Extra ball! Lol

#381 3 years ago

even though I play this machine more then my others its getting its face lift after Christmas. Its getting 2 separate down ramps and the death shot targets are getting replaced with roll overs , the ramp shot will be made wider. New play field art and translite and cab paint. Figured out how to replace the sound card and get new music. The snipers will become spys and the game will be renamed .....007 Skyfall

#382 3 years ago

Where can I order a slingshot assembly?

#383 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Where can I order a slingshot assembly?

Maybe see if PBR can help?

#384 3 years ago

So, normally I'm not a fan of re-branded Raven machines. But what if we instead just aged the machine naturally? Like, paint the cabinet a cheetah spot pattern, replace the machine gun with a glass of wine, and age-progress Ms. Raven into a proper "cougar"? What kind of playfield features and accessories would it need? Music?

I need to cut back on my morning coffee, apparently. This post is painting a disturbing mental picture in my head (which I'm happily sharing with you).

2 weeks later
#385 3 years ago

hey gang - just got a Raven! Previous owner has cut up the backbox lighting wires pretty bad, then put in a regular lightbulb socket. That bulb must've messed things up, because now the faded translite is on a wooden backing. I'd like to get rid of that lighting mess and go with LED strips if possible.
1. Does anyone have artwork for the original translight, or know where I can get one?
2. Does anyone know the correct glass size/dimensions so I can get a piece cut? Does it normally use plastic trim channels?
3. Any ideas on how I can light it up? LED strips would be better than the original bulb, I'm guessing.

1 week later
#386 3 years ago

Boise_D - came to this thread looking for answers to those same questions about the translite. I have an original that came with my machine that is badly cracked and faded.

Do high res scan exists of any of the old Gottlieb premier back glasses?

#387 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

1. Does anyone have artwork for the original translight, or know where I can get one?
2. Does anyone know the correct glass size/dimensions so I can get a piece cut? Does it normally use plastic trim channels?
3. Any ideas on how I can light it up? LED strips would be better than the original bulb, I'm guessing.

1. I'd like to get a scan also. Mine dried up & disintegrated.
2. 25" x 20" x 1/8" tempered. Plastic channels
3. If the original light was there, you could use an LED florescent replacement. Perhaps you could find something that screws into the bulb socket.

1 week later
#388 3 years ago

Decided to fire up the old girl before bed and had a WILD game. Hit no less than 14+ snipers, 1 special, 6 ramp shots. One of those games where two balls even flew down the middle and popped back up because they weren’t done lol.

Anyway, doubled my all time previous personal high, and my new high in 32 years of having the game. Looks like my score is #2 on Pinside, and #1 is a bit...interesting, anyway.

It’s a shame you can’t stack extra balls or I would have had about 5 lined up. But, it can only “hold” one at a time.

Got 8x for my bonus multiplier.
C2E667B0-CCD8-4B5D-8FC5-AA4644D951BF (resized).jpegC2E667B0-CCD8-4B5D-8FC5-AA4644D951BF (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#389 3 years ago

Can somebody PLEASE clue me in as to how the chopper relay gets wired to the spinner? Ive gotten her as good as i can get her, and i aint stopping until she is 100%

my chopper is either on, or it's off... my rollover lanes dont switch.... the right one registers but stays lit... and the 1x and 2x are constantly lit.

Not bad for being my 1st, and starting off as a busted up box full of leaves. But id really like to get her back to perfect health. .. then sell her like the cheap muscle bound whore that she is.

I love her so.

1 week later
#390 3 years ago

With help from this group, I bought a glass and trim for my Raven back box. Now I’d really like to find a good scanned picture of the translite to have printed. Does any have this already? Or anyone willing to scan theirs?

1 month later
#391 3 years ago

wow 50 days later and no posts .... can you feel the love for this machine

1 week later
#392 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

With help from this group, I bought a glass and trim for my Raven back box. Now I’d really like to find a good scanned picture of the translite to have printed. Does any have this already? Or anyone willing to scan theirs?

Where did you find the trim? I need to replace one one on mine.

2 weeks later
#393 2 years ago
Quoted from yotsuya:

Where did you find the trim? I need to replace one one on mine.

I just bought some from the usual sources and cut it to fit.

3 weeks later
#394 2 years ago

HI, i just bought a raven some months ago. I did the ground mod, installed free play rom and will install NVram. I just cleaned the playfield removed the mylar with a heatgun. Had to change most of the red targets plastics.
some decals came loose so i made new decals and will be clearcoating today. i bought the alternative translite, the one with the chick in the middle. Find it not offensive, it's just a woman in a bikini anyway. Will install leds and stickers on the inner side of the cabinet. will post some photo's when ready.

1 month later
#395 2 years ago

Just came across this pic of me dominating a Raven back in 87 I believe hah. Was my yearly birthday party at the local Aladdin's Castle that you could rent out for a few hours- Bros only, everything free play. In heaven. I believe these were the only 2 pins they had at that time.

What is the pin next to it?

20210621_203303 (resized).jpg20210621_203303 (resized).jpg

#396 2 years ago

looks like Genesis to me ...another system 80B game of the same era

1 week later
#397 2 years ago

What a little ledstrip can accomplish! Smashing pin now!

20210701_230613-ANIMATION (resized).png20210701_230613-ANIMATION (resized).png
#398 2 years ago
Quoted from Jazz-e:Smashing pin now

lol
unfortunately no matter how many times I look at the back glass she is still a flat chested chick with and 80's hair style not to mention the cheesy helicopter in the picture but adding some color makes it look better mine is pretty washed out but I think I would go with a green strip

#399 2 years ago
IMG_20210701_230135 (resized).jpgIMG_20210701_230135 (resized).jpgIMG_20210701_230135_1 (resized).jpgIMG_20210701_230135_1 (resized).jpgIMG_20210701_230137 (resized).jpgIMG_20210701_230137 (resized).jpg
#400 2 years ago

the third pic looks the best ...may have to do that to mine..... We should start a challenge here to see if anyone could find a Raven in the wild out on route still making money. Bet a picture of that would be an interesting place.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Warrington, PENNSYLVANIA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/raven-members-only/page/8?hl=pinsterwmass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.