Pred 1 (resized).jpg
Predful (resized).jpg
pf rlcd (resized).jpg
pf drops (resized).jpg
Rav Pops (resized).jpg
Predator POPS n Drops (resized).jpg
Predator PST 1 (resized).jpg
D2924A70-88D1-4EA9-94FB-A7736F2E3B6C (resized).jpeg
There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
#201 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickedbass:

I could use some help. everything seems to be running ok except few things. I dont know the game every well so that might be part of the problem.

Have you done the ground mods? If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, see this on PinWiki: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Ground_updates

#202 6 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Have you done the ground mods? If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, see this on PinWiki: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Ground_updates

I should have mentioned i did do them today hoping it would help correct the sound issue, but no luck. But thanks, ill re read that guide and see if i missed anything.

#203 6 years ago

after reading the manual, i found a couple of fuses bad.The game was mostly working i didnt even to think to check for a fuse for the ramp. Fuse was bad.

#204 6 years ago

Got Raven working 99%. The only issue i seem to be having now is sound cutting out mid game.

#205 6 years ago

Clean the board edge connectors, (I use a rubberized abrasive stick called Cratex) Also, Inspect the molex terminals inside the connector housings. Those connectors have a tendency to get crushed over time, which causes them to no longer make good connection to the boards. They also get corroded after all these years...once again causing a bad connection to the boards.

#206 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickedbass:

Got Raven working 99%. The only issue i seem to be having now is sound cutting out mid game.

you may need to change the voltage on the power board. These are frequently the cause of voltage fluctuation.

#207 6 years ago

thanks everyone, will check everything regardless, however i discovered that the bottom right pop bumper was the cause of the sound issue. When the ball bounced around that bumper, it would kill the sound. I disconectted the bumper and played a bunch of games with no problem.

any ideas on what could be the cause? ill rebuild the bumper, check for shorts..ect. Is there an aux board associated with each bumper?

In the meantime i decided to remove the mylar as it was bothering me, lots of lifting around inserts.

i cant find any spots of wear on this game. Mylar came off no problem. Absolutely gorgeous. Its possible it was HUO but no proof.

20170802_150833 (resized).jpg20170802_150833 (resized).jpg

#208 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickedbass:

Its possible it was HUO but no proof.

Huo adds $10 to a Raven

My playfield looks pretty nice except some insert lifting. I bought a NOS playfield for mine. It came without mylar, so it will need clear before going into the game. That will add $5 to the total value

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

Huo adds $10 to a Raven
My playfield looks pretty nice except some insert lifting. I bought a NOS playfield for mine. It came without mylar, so it will need clear before going into the game. That will add $5 to the total value

Toss in some leds and really watch that value rise

#210 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickedbass:

Toss in some leds and really watch that value rise

Mine is fully LEDed. I really enjoy the game. It keeps me on my toes.

2 weeks later
#211 6 years ago

<3

IMG_1796 (resized).JPGIMG_1796 (resized).JPG

#212 6 years ago

That looks really cool. I'd be interested in trying it out in mine if you're willing. What format is it in & what did you print it out on? Backlit poster paper?

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

That looks really cool. I'd be interested in trying it out in mine if you're willing. What format is it in & what did you print it out on? Backlit poster paper?

Bought it (already printed) from a graphic artist in Texas, not sure if he wants to sell and print more, you can search for Chaz Hawkins on Facebook and ask him directly.

#214 6 years ago

Thanks for the info.
How's it look in the game with the light on?

#215 6 years ago

Looks cool uncle_jose . I didn't know you were a fellow Raven owner; it's a sign of good taste.

Quoted from Topher5000:

What format is it in & what did you print it out on? Backlit poster paper?

In the past I have just sent off .png files to a printer. The results are really good, usually.

There is a guy on here called stpcore that prints translites. His colors look great and the black parts are actually black. I used to use PrintMoz, but their dark colors bled a little when backlit.

I don't have the art for this one, but I do have the art for the cartoon version of the translite and the one inside a helicopter if you want either. stpcore can print either.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/raven-members-only/page/4#post-3782219

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

Thanks for the info.
How's it look in the game with the light on?

Not there yet, the machine is still in the "works"

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

Looks cool uncle_jose . I didn't know you were a fellow Raven owner; it's a sign of good taste

LOL! Would I get more points if I tell you that I also have a Bad Girls? LOL!... shhhhh....

#218 6 years ago

Thanks zimjoe. I had done one up during a slow period at work & like the looks of it, but it's only 96dpi. It's a little blurry up close but looks good in the machine. Mind you, I plotted it on an OCE printer using bond paper & had to double up on it as it let too much light through.

jungle1a (resized).jpgjungle1a (resized).jpg
Here's a link to it in the game.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-raven-translite-pop-bumper-clock#post-2299299

#219 6 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

LOL! Would I get more points if I tell you that I also have a Bad Girls? LOL!... shhhhh....

Bad Girls is a great game!

Well, for all you members waiting to get your own Raven, here is your chance. I'm getting rid of a few games.

SOLD!
Machine - For Sale
Raven Archived
Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean - “Selling my sweet old Raven. This is the first machine I ever bought. I am not 100% sure I want her to go away, but I need space and I have a few other System 80b games. Game pla...”
2017-08-18
Richmond, VA
700 (OBO)
Archived after: 14 days
Viewed: 310 times
Contributed to Pinside

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

Not there yet, the machine is still in the "works"

If you just want a working one, see my above post.

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

If you just want a working one, see my above post.

PM Sent...! LOL!

#222 6 years ago

GTB Raven. Game boots partially: playfield feature lights come on and go into attract mode. Displays do not come on, game will not accept credits and will not start a game. Must an 80b have a battery in or connected to the CPU to fully boot? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Al

#223 6 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Displays do not come on, game will not accept credits and will not start a game.

Have you done the ground mods? I know it's a noob question, but sooo important.

Beyond that is the 5v adjusted correctly? I have found that to be a big contributor to problems with my 80b games. Both Genesis and Victory were adjusted wrong when I got them.

The pinwiki has a great guide for checking this. http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#System_80B_Power_Supplies

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Recommended_Repairs_for_the_System_80B_Power_Supply_Board

The dead displays might be the display itself. The way those are mounted makes for a weak point between the board and the display glass. My Victory came with a dead display and when I pushed on the glass it would come on. It took a little solder to fix.

Here is a pinwiki article on the displays, but just getting the power right is a good place to start.
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#System_80B_2

Smarter people than I will jump in if you create a topic in the Solid State tech forum. Just be prepared to answer questions

3 weeks later
#224 6 years ago

Are there any Raven owners going to the White Rose Gameroom show in York Pennsylvania, I am going to have a completely updated Raven on display with a kit available for a new Translite and wrap for the whole machine.

#225 6 years ago

Oooh, I'd love to see that! Unfortunately, I'm unable to go. Passport, money...

#226 6 years ago

I will post some photos and a link to purchase the wrap kit or translite when I start the show September 28th.

Quoted from Topher5000:

Oooh, I'd love to see that! Unfortunately, I'm unable to go. Passport, money...

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from Ashwood486:

Are there any Raven owners going to the White Rose Gameroom show in York Pennsylvania, I am going to have a completely updated Raven on display with a kit available for a new Translite and wrap for the whole machine.

Is it a new translite or one of the existing Alt ones? What does the wrap kit look like? I was just going to re-camo mine but a wrap might be cool.

#228 6 years ago

Everything's a completely new design, total color change with some excellent graphics on the sides and the back box of the machine. Completely redesigned Translate. I'm hoping everyone can wait until I bring it to the show on September 28th.
It will be worth the wait.

Quoted from zimjoe:

Is it a new translite or one of the existing Alt ones? What does the wrap kit look like? I was just going to re-camo mine but a wrap might be cool.

#229 6 years ago

If I show anything now it would totally give it away, I will post some pictures the day I put the machine on display at the York pinball show. We have created a kit that I believe will be affordable for what I would consider a family with an average income to own a really nice looking machine, and not have crazy money invested in it.

3 weeks later
#230 6 years ago
Quoted from Ashwood486:

If I show anything now it would totally give it away, I will post some pictures the day I put the machine on display at the York pinball show. We have created a kit that I believe will be affordable for what I would consider a family with an average income to own a really nice looking machine, and not have crazy money invested in it.

Where are the images?!?!?!

#231 6 years ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

Where are the images?!?!?!

Yeah, what up? Show em if you got them. Anyone go that took images?

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from Ashwood486:

Everything's a completely new design, total color change with some excellent graphics on the sides and the back box of the machine. Completely redesigned Translate. I'm hoping everyone can wait until I bring it to the show on September 28th.
It will be worth the wait.

Did no one take pictures?

1 week later
#233 6 years ago

Need some photos of this new kit!

2 weeks later
#234 6 years ago

I’m a member now! Just look at the custom Ramp that came with my Raven! Wait till I get that thing Chromed or Powder Coated!

A3C467A0-98AE-4731-8F00-7DD58504AC22 (resized).jpegA3C467A0-98AE-4731-8F00-7DD58504AC22 (resized).jpeg

#235 6 years ago

Looks interesting. How about a photo from farther away? I can't even get up the ramp so I'm a little frustrated with my Raven at the moment.

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

I’m a member now! Just look at the custom Ramp that came with my Raven! Wait till I get that thing Chromed or Powder Coated!

That is neat looking, I second the request to pull back and take a better pic. Does it work well at splitting the ball either way?

Quoted from Geocab:

I can't even get up the ramp so I'm a little frustrated with my Raven at the moment.

I switched back to red rubber on the flippers and I have a good rebuild on them. I think the factory flipper setting looks a little drooped when installed. They are not flat with the inlane guides. I can make it pretty consistently now, but it used to be pretty impossible.

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Looks interesting. How about a photo from farther away? I can't even get up the ramp so I'm a little frustrated with my Raven at the moment.

Will do! I’ll post it this weekend as I’m just now tearing into the game. Haven’t even reseated/burnished the contacts or ground mods.

Game lights and boots up goes into attract mode

Display doesn’t come on

Push start and the game tries to start, but goes back into attract mode. Might be the blown trough fuse
No sound

All the fuses under the PF look blown. I’m assuming those are Pop Bumpers, Slings, Etc.

Helicopter works in attract mode!

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

Game lights and boots up goes into attract mode
Display doesn’t come on
No sound
Helicopter works in attract mode!

My Raven has these same symptoms. I tried a known good board with the old Raven ROMs and it helped but still would not fully boot and start a game. I tried the good MPU with Diamond Lady ROMs and they game worked fine except many things were wacky because of the wrong ROMs.
All ground mods had been done along with slam switch modded but reflowing the daughterboard had not been done. I sent the whole thing to John's Jukes for repair and possibly new ROMs.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

My Raven has these same symptoms.

Don't forget the 5V. It is often off and adjusting it will fix a lot of wackiness. (TNT has a few great videos on this topic) When I got my Genesis, it had a ton of weird issues. Someone had cranked up the 5v potentiometer on the power supply too high. Guess they didn't have a decent meter?

Once it was properly adjusted, it fixed everything.

On my Victory, I ended up buying the schwemmer MPU with fresh roms; it worked great. Originally, I sent the MPU out and it lasted a short while before dying again. Something else had gone bad and I didn't feel like fiddling with anymore.

Once you get these games right, they tend to stay fixed.

#240 6 years ago

Got Raven to work.
Re-seated all connectors
Made sure the tilt-bob was Level
Brushed the Sound Board Connector and backed it off just a little- that worked!!!
Flippers work
Display Works
Ramp and Helicopter works

All the Pop Bumper fuses are blown so I’ll replace those and see what happens

Unreal!

Here’s a couple of photos of the custom wire ramp that came with the game

905ABD99-7B6E-435A-9B44-F3F83D919385 (resized).jpeg905ABD99-7B6E-435A-9B44-F3F83D919385 (resized).jpeg

12FDB645-E3DA-4BCD-B157-68D78A1E2CC7 (resized).jpeg12FDB645-E3DA-4BCD-B157-68D78A1E2CC7 (resized).jpeg

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from Ashwood486:

Any pics yet Ashwood486 ?

#242 6 years ago

I'm actually impressed by the sounds and the pf artwork. How do I get a Predator Translite for this thing!?

#243 6 years ago

OK, I think this is the style of translite I want

predatormovie-1510410509776-1562 (resized).jpgpredatormovie-1510410509776-1562 (resized).jpg

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

How do I get a Predator Translite for this thing!?

Predator transite would be brilliant. Maybe a whole Predator re-theme.

Do you have good artwork for that print? I found the figures in the middle here if you want to make a new background http://orig02.deviantart.net/73fb/f/2008/084/4/7/predator_by_malevolentnate.jpg I'm guessing this is the original art. The one you posted I found on a wallpaper site.

predatorpredator

I don't love the camo part. Making a cool background is tough. I made a custom BG for my Raven and the background doesn't thrill me either.

If you want to print something that large, you could hit up stpcore on here or send it out to printmoz.com. I've had good luck with both, but I think the stpcore stuff has better color saturation when back lit.

#245 6 years ago

Yes, this pin screams for a Predator theme. I got that from a wallpaper site.

#246 6 years ago

What should I be paying for an average working raven?

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

What should I be paying for an average working raven?

If this thing was sitting in a Costco or Sams Club, people would pay $2,000 for Christmas.
I just got this and love it, but I like the sound of Helicopters and Machine Guns! The PF has amazing art.
This thing has "Snipers", actual Snipers, are you kidding me!
People pay $8,000 for MM just to hit pop up trolls, this is JUST LIKE THAT

Now in the real world-

If it's working, from $600 to ? (depending on condition)

Now ask:
Will it need a new Translite?
Will it need a new Rubber Set?
Light Bulbs?
Etc, etc it all adds up

#248 6 years ago

I threw some Grenades in my Raven!

F6590C34-7205-4F6B-A63B-9DB6911E98AB (resized).jpegF6590C34-7205-4F6B-A63B-9DB6911E98AB (resized).jpeg

#249 6 years ago

Man I love those custom wire ramps!! Opens up the playfield. Very cool.

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

If it's working, from $600 to ? (depending on condition)

Raven is a tough sale. I've put mine up several times over the last 4 years and it just doesn't move. The game is better than it's reputation, but most only know the reputation and haven't played a solid example.

Quoted from Aladdin:

OK, I think this is the style of translite I want

Any progress on that Predator translite?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/raven-members-only/page/5?hl=xdetroit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.