(Topic ID: 123086)

Raven: Did a flipper rebuild and still can't get up the ramp...

By megalo17

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

144965-i.jpg
raven.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Let the Raven bashing commence... First time caller, first pin bought.
Alright, I can't for the life of me get the ball to go up the ramp. The flippers seemed fairly strong, but I did a rebuild just in case. Also, adjusted the angle of the table, to make the ramp easier. Only then could I make it up the ramp, but the ball starts doing weird stuff (needs more angle). I couldn't replace the EOS contacts on the right flipper because of the aux contact for changing the ramp lights. Looking for a suitable replacement (overlooked in the rebuild kit I bought). My question is what can I do to make it up the ramp?

#2 9 years ago

never played one, looks like a real tough shot going by the pic

raven.jpgraven.jpg

#3 9 years ago

You may want to check the coil number compare to someone else's and or schematic to make sure the right strength coil is in.
EOS should be closed and very low resistance in normal unfired state opening 1/8" right at the end of stroke if it opens to early you will lose power
Last resort would be to substitute a different more powerful coil.

I have no experience with this title. Never played.

Not sure why it has a bad reputation but those are usually the cheaper titles that are still fun to play.

Welcome to pinball

#4 9 years ago

The ramp entry clearance is really tight! Even with a clean shot, however, I can only make it 3/4ths up it. I've heard in the tnt amusements youtube vid that it's the "infamous impossible ramp." I've got the manual, and the correct coil is installed. I've also been looking at different coils, but this one (Super flipper coil A-20095) seems pretty strong. I'll check the resistance of the EOS contact, and try filing. The start button isn't working now, so I guess I've got to look into that first... Thanks for the help!

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

EOS should be closed and very low resistance in normal unfired state opening 1/8" right at the end of stroke if it opens to early you will lose power

Look at this more than anything.

#6 9 years ago

edited because I didn't read the post above me. ^What he said

#7 9 years ago

I too have a hard time making the ramp, but it's possible.
I've found that the best chance to make it is when the ball is coming down the PF at speed & timing the shot correctly. I've done from cradling the ball, but it's super tough.

#8 9 years ago

I had the same problem. Adjusting the EOS switches will give you a longer power stroke and solve the problem. Just don't make it too easy, the game isn't fun if the ramp shot is too easy.

I liked it best when I had it adjusted just so that it couldn't be made from a cradle and the ball had to at least be rolling down the inlane to have enough momentum to make it.

#9 9 years ago

Did you try cleaning your flipper button switches? Make sure when you press flipper button the metal tab on the switch is pushing on the contacts really good. Make sure flipper mechs are assembled and adjusted correctly. You could always unwind-remove some of the windings from the high power side of the coil (ive heard to start with 50 undwinds)

#10 9 years ago

making the ramp should be a hard shot from cradle. i put a powerball in my raven, plays hot.

144965-i.jpg144965-i.jpg
#11 9 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

making the ramp should be a hard shot from cradle. i put a powerball in my raven, plays hot.

144965-i.jpg

Your translite still has a lot of color. Hard to find one like that.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Your translate still has a lot of color. Hard to find one like that.

John Trudeau had it hanging in his office at Gottlieb/Premier.

#13 9 years ago

Thanks for the tips! I'll check out the flipper switches, and the EOS gap. Haven't looked at them yet. I saw some other posts elsewhere about adjusting the transformer tap. I'm not sure where mine is set, but adjusting the voltage on a 29 year old machine seems like a bad idea. I've got the pitch set at 6.8-6.9, so I think that's in the ballpark.

#14 9 years ago

These System 80b games should be on about a 4-5 degree angle. 6-7 is too steep.

Play with the EOS gap a bit before messing with the voltage adjustment.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Play with the EOS gap a bit before messing with the voltage adjustment.

seriously, look at this first. My friend thats much smarter than myself at pin repair always says, 95% of the time the problem is mechanical, not electrical.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/raven-did-a-flipper-rebuild-and-still-cant-get-up-the-ramp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.