5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Foo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-668.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Ok, just picked up an EM with a rats or mice nest in it. I'm sure I'm not the first to discover such - any advice on how to handle this? Just a shop vac? Blow it out somehow with a compressor? Forget the whole project and part it out?

#2 5 years ago

vacuum it out and place glue traps everywhere

#3 5 years ago

http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/

you don't want to make too much dust... So pull out the nest by hand(with gloves).

#4 5 years ago

I would use a vacuum.

#5 5 years ago

Do yourself and your family a favor, look this up on the internet, first.

This how we handle trailers at work. Use a good particle mask, not those cheap ones that do not seal well. Wear Gloves. The vacuum will spread the dust from the droppings. blowing the nest with compressed air is a bad idea. Avoid the dust from the droppings. If you have a Hepa type filter you might be ok, not sure on that one. Gently sweep the nest up onto card board or stiff paper. Put into a garabage bag, try not to stir up the dust. With windex spray the remaining droppings then pick up with paper towels. Some people spray a cleaner then wet vacuum up the droppings. This avoids the dust.

#6 5 years ago

People find pins, especially EM pins without mice nests in them? I say this jokingly, but seriously nests are common for most garage find type pins.

Personally, I open them up in the driveway (i.e. anywhere outside) and use a good shop vac that I keep for just such awful tasks that has a good filter installed. Suck out everything that you can and spray the inside down with your choice of cleaner, plenty of disinfecting cleaners that will kill microbes and smells but not corrode the game (don't use a bleach type cleaner).

If you are feeling extra careful, use the vacuum to suck up a 5 gallon bucket of water with some bleach in it before you empty out the vacuum. That should kill everything and make sure it is not dusty when you go to dump the vacuum out or when you go to store it. (This one poor shop vac that I use to clean up pins has had an awful life, sucking up raw sewage after a back-up in the line comes to mind as one job it did.)

#7 5 years ago

So spraying something like windex into the game won't harm it?

#8 5 years ago

I thought this was a BSD thread.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Euchrid:

So spraying something like windex into the game won't harm it?

Spraying any water based liquids on to wood is not the best idea. Mist the area then quickly wipe it off. The most important part is not to let it soak. Mist small areas then wipe. Just enough to stop the dust from the droppings forming in the air. The other way is to moisten the towel, then wipe up the mess.
    Let the pinball machine dry out before plugging it in and turning it on.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I thought this was a BSD thread.

I thought it was a Willard thread.

#11 5 years ago

I would use a shop vac with the fine particle dust bag and a filter (actually I use those bags for everything).

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Spraying any water based liquids on to wood is not the best idea. Mist the area then quickly wipe it off. The most important part is not to let it soak. Mist small areas then wipe. Just enough to stop the dust from the droppings forming in the air. The other way is to moisten the towel, then wipe up the mess.
    Let the pinball machine dry out before plugging it in and turning it on.

The nest sits squarely on a bank of relays....

#13 5 years ago

The people that say to be careful and avoid making dust are correct. That stuff can have some pretty serious consequences if inhaled.

#14 5 years ago

It is always wise to be careful but considering your in Ohio the risk is fairly slim.

http://4dtraveler.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/hantavirus-map.jpg

#15 5 years ago

Hunta Virus!!!

#16 5 years ago

disposable gloves a mask some bleach and you can find great things underneath

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lost-rat-nest-of-atlantis

--Jeff

#17 5 years ago

I went to look at an EM once out in a detached garage - had a Mouse nest under the glass on the playfield and the mouse even poked his head out to say Hi!

I left the game and isn't purchase - it was nothing special and not worth the trouble.

#18 5 years ago

Pics please. I want to see what one of these deadly infectious nests look like.

2 weeks later
    #19 5 years ago

Sorry, already removed the nest. It was a bunch of torn scraps from wherever, including some scraps of paper from the labels from the interior of the game. The rodents also chewed some of the wire sheaths off of various wires.

#20 5 years ago

Pulled an old non working space invaders out of a warhouse a while back. It had boxes stacked on top of it hiding this surprise!

image-668.jpg
    #21 5 years ago
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 115.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 28.95
    $ 199.99
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 12.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside