(Topic ID: 115292)

Rather than turning them into coffee tables...

By DirtFlipper

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NextoPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

00X0X_8zSbPXjcnqC_600x450.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

We've all seen them - those pre-flipper games that get no love, usually from the late 30's to 40's; not quite as interesting as the early 30's tables, and left behind in favor of the flipper models that followed. The forgotten, the abandoned; the white elephants. They languish on CL, or get bottom-barrel status at auction.

Many are offered up as candidates to convert into coffee tables, or other 'art'. At best, it allows them to donate parts to other games, or avoid complete dumpster status; at worst, well, they won't be played again.

I note, however, that they often have usable playfields and cabinets, and I can't help but wonder if some would make reasonable candidates to convert into more modern style games (at least 'modern' EM, but possibly hybrid). Yeah, some games had flipper kits added, but I'm thinking something more extensive; more modern pop bumpers, targets, kickouts, some internals, scoring even. They have the basics of a shooter lane and playfield layout. Could be good practice for clear coating and/or re-theme too (although it would be interesting to incorporate into the existing themes). Could re-arrange some of the layouts too I think. Some of the late 30's ones with smaller backboxes might be good for digital displays even.

Basically raw material for building up a 'newer' game (and maybe saving flipper EMs from such fates).

Any pre-flipper playfields look promising to modernize?

#2 9 years ago

Or even an unloved flipper game. Heck this one is custom already. Please someone save this.

ebay.com link: 1960 Gottlieb Texan Sample Pinball Machine Project

#3 9 years ago

Ha, case in point!
    indianapolis.craigslist.org link

"Cool Ballys wood rail baseball theme perfect for your man cave OR take it apart and build a coffee table and end table out of the components"

#4 9 years ago

Same seller:
    indianapolis.craigslist.org link

"Non working , perfect candidate to rebuild into a coffee table and need table for a man cave rec room"

#5 9 years ago

Ya know, If you were going to make a coffee table out of one, at least make it interactive somehow. level it out and make some sort of head to head nudging game or something, but to just have it gutted and sitting there kinda sucks.

I saved my Aztec from this fate, I'm still looking for the parts to get it going again, has no bottom board or backbox, legs etc.

Here's the pic from the craigslist ad. I just have it stored waiting for the day I find a blown out Aztec or have enough money to convert it to solid state. If it doesn't happen soon though, I may just store the playfield on the wall and convert the cabinet to a virtual (*GASP*)

00X0X_8zSbPXjcnqC_600x450.jpg00X0X_8zSbPXjcnqC_600x450.jpg
    #6 9 years ago

I have 2 flipperless machines that I restored. They're not a whole lot of fun to play, but they are pretty to look at. What I like most about them is you can usually find them for under $100 or as a throw in when buying other machines.

I'm looking around for a couple that are not worth restoring. I plan on building a bar out of them.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

Ya know, If you were going to make a coffee table out of one, at least make it interactive somehow. level it out and make some sort of head to head nudging game or something, but to just have it gutted and sitting there kinda sucks.
    I saved my Aztec from this fate, I'm still looking for the parts to get it going again, has no bottom board or backbox, legs etc.
    Here's the pic from the craigslist ad. I just have it stored waiting for the day I find a blown out Aztec or have enough money to convert it to solid state. If it doesn't happen soon though, I may just store the playfield on the wall and convert the cabinet to a virtual (*GASP*)

00X0X_8zSbPXjcnqC_600x450.jpg 28 KB

I found one! and the playfield is worse than my "coffee table"!! Backglass and mechanicals seem to be in good condition too!

#8 9 years ago

Perfect scenario.

#9 9 years ago

You could totally give them some simple logic and sounds/music with an Arduino and/or Raspberry Pi.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from jhanson:

You could totally give them some simple logic and sounds/music with an Arduino and/or Raspberry Pi.

I thought about it. I was going to use Visual Pinball to drive the backglass and Arduino/PROC or something for the logic and a PICO projector to display the backglass on the wall and make it a playable coffee table but 'ain't nobody got time for dat'

Now that I have a complete unit I can play it the way god intended. As an EM.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rather-than-turning-them-into-coffee-tables and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.