CF42DDDD-98BF-45D0-BB59-74F395108EF8 (resized).jpeg
C1E099BA-6229-437A-8C93-AD615264E142 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
rs (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Not sure if there would be interest, but I thought it might be fun to have a thread where people can rate and discuss movies they have been watching. Reviews don't have to be deep or sound like they were written by a film critic. You don't even need to write anything, just give it a score. I use 1-10. If you choose to write a review, out of courtesy to others, please try to avoid major spoilers...especially for movies that have been out for less then a year.

#2 4 years ago

JoJo Rabbit - 8.5 / 10
I enjoyed the way it tackled a tricky subject in a way that was equal parts humorous and moving. It was my pick for Best Picture.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3 4 years ago

Real Steel. (2011 release). A hidden gem of entertainment value, a popcorn action movie, and I believe a sequel is due out in 2020. Rate as 9/10...
rs (resized).jpgrs (resized).jpg

#4 4 years ago

Doctor Sleep (directors cut). With an extra half an hour I think the directors cut is the way to go. It's not a perfect adaptation, and there are some scenes I wasn't a huge fan of, but after reading the book a few years back (and being a lifelong Stephen King fan), it was pretty damn good for an adaptation. The "baseball boy" scene was so brutal.

Absolutely recommend.

#5 4 years ago

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 6 / 10

I'm a pretty tough grader, with movies I really like getting an 7 or 8. With that said, this movie felt like an Andy Kaufman prank on the audience. If you step back perhaps there was something smart there, but it's less entertaining when the prank is on you. I thought the actors did a good job, especially Brad Pitt, but it seemed to play on the fact that you were waiting for a certain thing to happen.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 6 / 10
I'm a pretty tough grader, with movies I really like getting an 7 or 8. With that said, this movie felt like an Andy Kaufman prank on the audience. If you step back perhaps there was something smart there, but it's less entertaining when the prank is on you. I thought the actors did a good job, especially Brad Pitt, but it seemed to play on the fact that you were waiting for a certain thing to happen.
[quoted image]

Agree completely on this. 5.5 to 6. It was ok, but would not watch again.

Watched Joker. I give Joaquin about a 9 as an actor but this movie sucked. Maybe a 4? Story was weak, character development was weak. No really redeeming elements.

#8 4 years ago

Watched Terminator Dark Fate a few days ago. Laughed my ass off at it - had tears streaming down my face and my stomach hurt. I'm pretty sure that's not how the filmmakers wanted me to react to it.

3/10

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Agree completely on this. 5.5 to 6. It was ok, but would not watch again.
Watched Joker. I give Joaquin about a 9 as an actor but this movie sucked. Maybe a 4? Story was weak, character development was weak. No really redeeming elements.

Joker - 7 / 10
I watched Joker a second time and ended up increasing my initial rating. I think the first time though I was expecting it to be a movie about, well, the Joker. You could take out everything comic related and it wouldn't change the film all that much. The second time though, I knew what it wasn't, so I was able to better appreciate it for what it was.

#10 4 years ago

Watched TOGO on Disney+ a few days ago,...

Highly recommended. If you like old school Disney films and/or like William Defoe, this is a must see.

#11 4 years ago

Uncut Gems. 5 carats out of 10.

I don't mind Sandler in serious roles, and I didn't mind him in this. But this movie was not great, and certainly doesn't deserve the buzz and oscar nods that people are giving it.

Writing - they didn't really know what the movie was about. Is it a period piece? Is it about him? Is it about complicated relationships between people? Is it about the stone itself and how we are all just a footnote in it's own millions-years story? They never chose one so all suffered.

Acting - kinda 'meh' on average. Judd Hirsch is always great. Some of the actors were probably just starting out and were fairly awkward.

It was mostly just 2 hours of people yelling at each other angrily.

#12 4 years ago

Watched The Outsiders (9/10) earlier. Have seen it countless times and always enjoy it from start to end. Great book and great movie. Superstar cast! Crazy to see them all so young and I totally forgot Leif Garrett was in the movie.
C1E099BA-6229-437A-8C93-AD615264E142 (resized).jpegC1E099BA-6229-437A-8C93-AD615264E142 (resized).jpeg

#13 4 years ago

Best movie I’ve seen this year. 9/10
CF42DDDD-98BF-45D0-BB59-74F395108EF8 (resized).jpegCF42DDDD-98BF-45D0-BB59-74F395108EF8 (resized).jpeg

#14 4 years ago

Strange yet interesting premise. 7-10

94C7631F-6FA2-4C08-90BA-F5020BB5895F (resized).jpeg94C7631F-6FA2-4C08-90BA-F5020BB5895F (resized).jpeg
#15 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballPunk:

Watched The Outsiders (9/10) earlier. Have seen it countless times and always enjoy it from start to end. Great book and great movie. Superstar cast! Crazy to see them all so young and I totally forgot Leif Garrett was in the movie.
[quoted image]

I watched too. One of my fav books as a kid, much better than " that was then ,this is now"

#16 4 years ago

Watched last blood a few days ago. Prob the 2nd best of the series, behind 1st blood. 7☆

#17 4 years ago

Parasite - 7.5 / 10
Not my best picture, but since watching it I've been thinking more and more about the class symbolism in the film.

#18 4 years ago

I though Real Steel was awful and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was great. Guess I wont be getting my movie tips from Pinside.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I though Real Steel was awful and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was great. Guess I wont be getting my movie tips from Pinside.

You're opinion is just as welcome as anyone else. We don't need a hive mind.

#20 4 years ago

BlacKkKlansman - 7.5 / 10
Honestly, I don't have much to add on this one. It was pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

PS: I currently have 110 movies on my backlog. I'm trying to chip away at it.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I currently have 110 movies on my backlog.

I can recommend Hot Fuzz, Hateful Eight, Fury, and Edge of Tomorrow from those above that I have seen. Some of the others are OK, but the 4 I mentioned, I have watched and enjoy re watching again and again.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I currently have 110 movies on my backlog

drive is a great movie.

#23 4 years ago

Random thoughts on a couple I've seen recently:

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD: 8/10. Not a best picture IMO, but I thought it nicely evoked a very specific time and place, and the acting was all-around solid. I don't understand the point of the cartoony ending (the movie turns into Inglorious Basterds in the last 15 minutes), but the rest of it was just plain fun to watch.

JOKER: 5/10. Strong performance by Phoenix, he worked hard for his Oscar. But I just couldn't buy the world they created for him to play in, far too many highly predictable "twists," and I had a strong "what is the point of all of this" feeling most of the time I was watching it. The soundtrack and scoring was also downright bad, pulled me right out of a number of scenes that could have worked with a bit more subtlety. Good for them that they made $1 billion, but it would have been farcical to give this best director or best picture.

ROCKETMAN: 7/10. It hit all of the beats of a generic biopic, which usually make this kind of movie so dull, but I thought having it play as a series of music videos, and putting story above actual historical accuracy, was pretty effective. And the lead actor was great and totally made the movie. Much better than lasts year's Bohemian Rhapsody, even though Queen's music is far superior to anything Elton John ever did.

MANDY: 4/10. A recent horror/shoot-em-up movie just crazy enough that Nicholas Cage fit into it. There were some strong elements, but it was held back by terrible visual effects that dominate the screen for long stretches and totally kill the ominous vibe they were building. The pacing was also very slow at points, made me want to fast-forward.

MIDSOMAR: 7/10. Fantastic concept for a horror movie, a little slow paced and predictable by the end but very well put together. I'd recommend watching THE WITCH from the same director first, though, as I thought that was even better.

CHARADE: 3/10. A "classic" that hasn't aged well. I enjoyed this as a kid but the humor is lame, the suspense is pretty unsuspenseful, and watching ancient Cary Grant awkwardly picking up on Audrey Hepburn wasn't charming this time around if it ever was.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I'd recommend watching THE WITCH from the same director first, though, as I thought that was even better.

Robert Eggers did the Witch not Ari Aster.
I liked The Witch alot also; can't wait to check out The Lighthouse by him as well.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

I liked The Witch alot also; can't wait to check out The Lighthouse by him as well.

Was just about to post this.

Robert Eggers’ The Lighthouse is AWESOME crazy.

Ari Aster did last year’s Hereditary, which was also awesome crazy.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Whoops, thanks for catching that, not sure why I got them crossed up. Maybe a similar indie horror vibe.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Whoops, thanks for catching that, not sure why I got them crossed up. Maybe a similar indie horror vibe.

If you had given Midsommar at least an 8/10 I probably would have kept my mouth shut.

#28 4 years ago

Since I haven't seen it listed yet, I would be remiss if I didn't put forward the movie "1917".

This is is a "single shot" style movie meant to portray the action as a single scene which makes you feel as if you are living the moment with the actors in real time. Absolutely brilliant!!

The cinematography is amazing and, I think, it more realistically portrays what it was actually like to be a soldier in WWI involved in the horrendous conditions that existed in the trench warfare of the time.

I can not recommend this movie enough. (9/10)

1 year later
#29 2 years ago

I love movies. I even recently started my own YouTube channel on it. Free Guy and The Suicide Squad were very entertaining and would make good pinball games!

https://youtube.com/channel/UCZOnDrQMvDcLAK9paxTMA

Suicide Squad - SPOILERS

Free Guy -SPOILERS

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rate-movies-you-ve-recently-watched?hl=vectorgamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.