Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheFamilyArcade
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

How would you rate this game? Would it be a good first machine?

#2 5 years ago

Great and yes

#3 5 years ago

Depends on the price and shape its in. If your like most of us, it won't be your last.

#4 5 years ago

I really love this pin. Totally recommend it. It is a keeper for me, will never sell it.

#5 5 years ago

Was my first machine...loved it...out of the games I've sold or traded, the only one I really miss...catching the monster fish is awesome & still my favorite video mode of the pins I've played...go for it!!!

#6 5 years ago

Loved mine, had it for years, finally let it go to a buddy (local). Don't miss it yet, but it was one we played alot!

I have had a couple over the years

#7 5 years ago

One of the greats...

#8 5 years ago

It was my first modern pin. It's not the perfect first pin, but definitely a great game. I traded mine and ended up buying another within a couple months.

Personally, I love it!

#9 5 years ago

FT is a difficult game with lightning flippers and close shots. It will bring the pain if you are into that sort of thing

#10 5 years ago

I love it. I've had mine since 1994 and it would probably be the last pin I would sell if I had to downsize.

#11 5 years ago

Fun game but so frustrating. The center targets/ramps are too close to the flippers so you need to be dead on with your shots. Not going to put down the game but I probably won't have this game.

#12 5 years ago

I like it. I would get it, some people say the music gets annoying but I disagree it fits the theme very well. It's an easy machine to shop and fix and it's really fun.

The guy above doesn't know a good game when he plays it...

#13 5 years ago

If it's in nice shape pick it up great game. Very quick ball times. It's one of those just one more game pins. I'm not a country music guy but I enjoy the soundtrack. Not a deep game but it's a blast to play.

#14 5 years ago

Great game, love it. Get it
CaptainNeo might disagree.

#15 5 years ago

I traded mine for a JD and really regret it. I'm making myself save up for one some time next year. It's not deep but it's a blast. First pin I really loved.

#16 5 years ago

If you can find a good shape one it's a blast, it's a fast pin though, short ball times compared to newer Sterns.

#17 5 years ago

Had one for a year or so - don't miss it. Imbalanced scoring iirc Super Jackpot was a stupid amount and the bonus multipliers seemed worthless. Nice first game though.

#18 5 years ago

Good game and fun graphics and sounds. A bit too symmetrical and repetitive for me to buy one but good fun all the same especially if youre into fishing.

#19 5 years ago

You could get it on Pinball Arcade and then test it out. I heard someone say that it's probably their best emulation of a table yet (it'll probably be available next week).

I think it's a cool table. The multi ball is pretty awesome, what with all the possible jackpots you can achieve. I also like the fact that after a super jackpot is obtained, the multi ball jackpot multiplier increases up to 6x. Yes, it is possible to get a 600m Super Jackpot. Also, I like Monster Fish and think it's a pretty good objective, but it pales in comparison to shooting down water-skiers. Be prepared for some frustration though, the lightning flippers are tough to handle and make post-transferring tough!

You can watch Bowen bait-and-tackle the game here: http://papa.org/2012/12/03/fish-tales-tutorial/

#20 5 years ago

I had the game for a year and then sold it. Don't miss it at all. If you like the theme great. It's not the easiest for a starter game. The music isn't great. Most cabinets are faded and you really have to watch for the fish wear.

#21 5 years ago

In the minority, I'm one of the few that dont like it and would not want it as a first/only pin.

#22 5 years ago

It is a great first pin. Straight forward ruleset but hard to do well at it!

#23 5 years ago

its a nice game no doubt, something that doesnt take itself too seriously. has some funny moments in it... not a deep game, so dont expect that. but if u looking for something easy to play and walk up to for a good few minutes of fun i think its great for that.

faded cabinets are common thing with this game, but in this day and age if people complain about that its kinda silly when u can get decals pretty easy, maybe 15 years ago it would have been an issue but in this day and time a faded cabinet aint a issue just maybe throw less money at one if its bad and redo the decals problemo solved.

oh yes let me just add the artwork on this pin is very well done, just fits the fun theme.

the music some hate it, but i think it fits perfectly with the theme. i mean its a funny sort of light hearted pin, so the music does it justice.

the video mode, well possibly the best video mode in all of pinball, i might say that the one in bsd might be a bit better. its always fun to shoot down water skiers and jet skis with torpedos, make sure ur extra ball is setup so that from time to time u can shoot the letter "e" in the video mode and get the extra ball thats pretty cool if u get it and kinda helps if the game is kicking ur butt.

the topper, very nice i like it and alot of people seem impressed by it. if u playing the game u dont really notice it , but it surely adds something.

the fish real, the way u lock balls in this game... i think its a fun little unique toy , not too complex. i myself like bash toys more, but still its pretty cool how they made it work so well as it does.

if u can get one at decent price go for it, i do not regret buying one myself.

#24 5 years ago

It was one of my first pins. I still like it. One warning, you can go through periods where you actually get worse at this machine and want to throw it in the closest pond. Oh wait, that might not happen to you, but it did to me!

Make sure you get the topper and it works. Don't be afraid of the noise, it is supposed to be that loud.

#25 5 years ago

There is a great tutorial online from PAPA.org (I believe). It will really help you understand the machine, especially if it is your first pin.

#26 5 years ago

I really, really love FT. I like the multi ball jackpots a lot... you can feel the pressure as you have a short window to hit the jackpot. This can also be very frustrating (only making me want to play more)
My sons strategy is to get monster fish over and over and half the time he beats the crap out of me.
I like the flow of the game- only a video mode that really stops play (but It is the most awesome video mode)
For me it has a perfect pace, not overly complicated yet very challenging.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Kineticross:

You could get it on Pinball Arcade and then test it out. I heard someone say that it's probably their best emulation of a table yet (it'll probably be available next week).
/

I was just going to suggest this. PA on the iPad is a great way to demo out games. For the most part you can learn the rules and give a quick opinion if it's for you. Keep in mind though, there's nothing like getting your hands on the real thing. There's games I know I love in person, but find them a pain in the ass on the iPad.

#28 5 years ago

Great game and one of my favorites that I'll never sell. It would be a good first pin and will go well with the next few you end up buying. (Happens to all of us)

#29 5 years ago

FT is quirky and fun

#30 5 years ago

Love it , but it was one of the pins that got me hooked on pins back when it came out . So I might be a little biased towards it .

#31 5 years ago

A fantastic pin.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

I love it. I've had mine since 1994 and it would probably be the last pin I would sell if I had to downsize.

Not knockin FT, but you would really keep it over all your others? Truely?

#33 5 years ago

Awesome pin.....that Big Bass shaking it's tail , and the super jackpot, never get's old.!!

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

FT is a difficult game with lightning flippers and close shots. It will bring the pain if you are into that sort of thing

IIRC, there's a TOPcast episode where Mark Ritchie stated he designed the game with regular WMS bats--not Lightning flips.

Apparently, WMS caved to a big European Op's request for shorter ball times--and prototypes had regular flippers while production games shipped with Lightnings.

Thus explaining the long-standing debate about which to use.

#35 5 years ago

It was my second pin. I didn't like it. Amusing for a bit, fit my area, but it wasn't my style.

#36 5 years ago

I love this game! I recently had another in the house but it was not enduring. As I write this I already miss it. My advise...get one, play it for a while, and then decide. I am pissed that I got rid of mine too soon.

#37 5 years ago

Is FT a good first machine? Given FT's entertaining game-play and its price in comparison to so many others, I'd say yes. If you do buy one and find that it's not your cup of tea, you'll have no trouble selling it. I've had mine for about 2 years now and it's a keeper, in my opinion.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Ice9ers:

Not knockin FT, but you would really keep it over all your others? Truely?

Fun vs cost, FT is a real good value. If I were to liquidate my collection, I would cash out my higher pins and keep the FT.

#39 5 years ago

I like it when I play it, but I wouldn't want to own one. I've had the opportunity to buy one several times for under 2k, and I've declined each time. Not sure why. In theory, I should love it with the criss-cross ramps returning to the flippers adding a lot of quick-paced flow, but for some reason, on this pin, I don't like the feel of the ramps.

YMMV.

#40 5 years ago

I love the art work and thats why i got mine. At first I didn't like the play but it grew on me and know I think it's a great game. For what they are selling for it,s a great starter pin.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from NM:

IIRC, there's a TOPcast episode where Mark Ritchie stated he designed the game with regular WMS bats--not Lightning flips.
Apparently, WMS caved to a big European Op's request for shorter ball times--and prototypes had regular flippers while production games shipped with Lightnings.
Thus explaining the long-standing debate about which to use.

I'm not sure if any of the lightning flipper games were designed with lightning flippers in mind but, if you play tournaments they will more than likely have lightning flippers. Just something to keep in mind.

I recently put lightning flippers on my Barracora and I think it makes the game more interesting and difficult. With regular flippers the right 5 bank drops aren't really that dangerous and I ignore the left 3 bank because of this. With lightning flippers I now tend to work on the 3 bank because its more safe to work on the 5 bank with a 2 ball multiball. I don't really think the difficult of FT is increased to much with lightning flippers though. The outlanes can be tough enough by themselves and bricked shots often find their way to the outlanes once the ball gets out of control.

If I had the oppertunity to buy a FT at a good price I certainly wouldn't pass it up. Its a great game with a fun simple ruleset and its very challenging. Good luck on your purchase OP!

#42 5 years ago

Great game balanced scoring not to difficult . If you want longer ball times install standard flipper bats

#43 5 years ago

Here's how owning a Fish Tales will go down.

At first you will LOVE it. It's cheap. It's a fast game and easy to understand. Your wife will love it, your kids will love it, you will think it's the best game EVER.

Then, things will start to annoy you. It could be the loud flopping fish, it could be the fact that you blow the monster fish shot everytime its up. It could be that the insert wear is pronounced, or that the incandescent lights make the game look like crap.

But, you still like the game, you are getting BETTER, your scores are approaching 100M, 200M. You have the game in your pocket.

You'll bear down, fight your way through it, upgrade some LEDs, disconnect the fish, and think you are just plain happy with the game.

That's when it happens. The game secretly hates you. It wants you to kill yourself. You will find you get WORSE the more you play the game. You'll start bricking the boatramp shots, your outlanes will become drain magnets, the game will slowly start to dismantle your soul. Eventually, you will loathe the game with every ounce of your being.

You will have games where you want to put your fist through the table. You will want to rip the boat ramp out and take a hammer to the lock scoop. In a fit of rage, you will find yourself with a gas can in your hand, the Fish Tales doused in kerosene. You'll light a match and toss it onto the gas soaked playfield with a giant smile on your face knowing you, and noone else, will EVER have to play that Fish Tales again. Today was a good day.

Man, I hate that game... But, YMMV .

-Wes

#44 5 years ago

^I agree with Wes, minus hating the game.

It's punishing, but I think that's half the fun of it. A well-rounded line of pins has some brutal games with short ball times and some that're easier to keep going for a while also.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

The game secretly hates you. It wants you to kill yourself. You will find you get WORSE the more you play the game.

I wonder if that is true with all games. I have been absolutely terrible at my LOTR the past month after doing quite well initially.

#46 5 years ago

Fantastic game. Go for it!

#47 5 years ago

I had the same experience with FT when it was in the arcade, it kicked my ass and I hated it. That's actually a big reason I own it now, so I am playing for free all I want and don't feel bad about dropping all those quarters trying to get better.

#48 5 years ago

Thought if hate it. Thought I'd hate the theme. Thought wrong. So glad I bought mine. Lots to like. A true classic, and very original in many ways.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Little Shop Of Games
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Madison, WI

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside