Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 507 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

485B6E1C-CBAC-4AF6-96C5-0D08C78013B2 (resized).jpeg
    78EA5605-19B4-4186-A7DC-2A42E4FF3606 (resized).png
    940B2560-C69D-4846-B955-6E73ED6834D6 (resized).jpeg
    unnamed-15 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 1.25.45 PM (resized).png
    tumblr_pprzf0PYz61y62kvzo4_400.gif
    pun.gif
    B684E8E1-4E3B-40C8-AE5F-F19D3CB2D55B (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 7.46.03 AM (resized).png
    sammy (resized).jpg
    pinfall (resized).jpg
    E76D3E20-AFE1-40C6-A0E4-51FE22511EA9 (resized).jpeg
    Miracle1 (resized).jpg
    sycho-sid (resized).jpg
    CE63D7DE-025F-4811-B8D2-C664104406FF.gif
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

If you use a Firestick/FireTV and have Kodi installed, there's a terrific Wrestling repo that has ALL wrestling content and the PPVs the next day. Just finished watching Smackdown a few min ago.
    I predict Gable/Benjamin winning the tag titles
    Lesnar retaining by pinning Kane
    Asuka winning the women's Rumble and facing Flair at Wrestlemania
    Miz defeats Reigns for the IC strap
    Styles loses the belt due to Daniel Bryan
    Who wins the Rumble though? Don't think the winner will be who ends up facing Lesnar at Wrestlemania though.

what's the name of the repo ? I have the Network but have a hard time finding NJPW and ROH lately

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Oh that's right, yeah that does keep it open. Reigns vs Lesnar, champ vs champ would be a good match at Wrestlemania. But I'd like to see the belt back on Miz because he's just too much fun.

Maybe it's just me but I am way over both Lesnar and Reigns. They need to take a break from those guys - I know Lesnar is a legit badass, but he's BORING! The best program he's had in years was with Goldberg - and mostly because he let Goldberg go over a couple times. That was amazing. But Reigns... eegh.... come on. I thought it was going to be Strowman/Lesnar this year though -

Miz continues to (inexplicably!) be the best/worst heel in years. he's such a toad! He's no Flair in the ring but his mic skills are best on the roster.

Anybody know if the Dolph thing will pan out? Did he really leave or, what's going on w/ that?

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I have some bad news. I think they're going to do Lesnar vs Reigns at mania again. I'm very sick of Lesnar but Reigns has grown on me. I'm not a fan of his but I think he is getting better and they seem to have figured out his character a little more. They're grooming him to be the one that takes over for Cena. I don't like it, but I've accepted it.
    Miz is fantastic. I think he'll be IC champ again real soon so that Reigns can go after the Universal title again.
    Not sure what is up with Dolph. I'm guessing he is going to return either at the Rumble or on Smackdown after the Rumble and claim he is the US Champion and not whoever wins the tournament. But who knows.

I really really really don't see Reigns as a replacement for Cena. He's a GREAT worker, and he obviously does exactly what he's told, and he's good at it. But that may also be the problem a bit. It seems like you have to have a little wild streak to really get over. Everybody's onto Roman as the heir apparent and that seems to be backfiring. But he's not bad or anything, like I said, great worker. But no Cena. He's got no depth, I am not feeling the superman punch either. That STILL looks dumb as hell. My thing with Roman is just I feel like they're wasting guys who are clearly better.

Lesnar.. time is up on that.

AJ Styles is a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better worker, has a better entrance, much more exciting matches, gets psychology, knows how to sell (!! Roman needs to work on this). But he's not a big man. ugh...

Anyway, taking my son on the 27th in Baltimore to a house show, day before the Rumble, so we'll see the setup matches.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

It's called Wrestling on Demand. You'll need to get the password to use during setup from Pbear90's Twitter account, in case the instructions don't say that.
    kodiuk.tv/2017/12/22/install-wrestling-demand-add/

that is awesome, thank you!

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Before the Clash of Champions PPV I had an offer from WWE to get the network for 3 months for 99 cents. Not sure if there are still promos going on right now.

You'll be able to get a free month in March; they always like to bump up the subscriber base during WM

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

Nice! I'll be at NXT Takeover: Philadelphia on the 27th and the Rumble on the 28th.

NICE!!! IF they ever do a PPV in Washington, DC we may end there -

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

I've been watching NJPW when it comes on, WWF hasn't interested me in a while. Cent is boring, Reigns is worse.
    FirePro World came out on steam, and there's thousands of real wrestlers to download... and they just signed a deal with NJPW so that's cool.

Man thanks for mentioning FirePro world - I forgot about that. I can’t wait to catch up on NJPW - the Jericho/Omega Match was brutal, and the rest of the wrestle kingdom 12 card was great, I want to watch more

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

My fanboy prediction: Lance Storm makes his return and wins the rumble to finally have his WrestleMania match. I can dream, right?

Lol! I think Lance is focused on his wrestling school and Killin The Town with the Jackyl!

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

You know you're a hardcore fan when you watch Wrestle Kingdom 12 live listening to the Japanese announce team feed.

So.. uh .. do you speak Japanese?

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

No. I didn't even think there was an English feed. Found out when watching clips in English the next day.

Oh! Wow, lol! Well that will be easier to understand! Yeah I think it’s Don Callis right? Or is it JR? I can’t keep up

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

And that's what I mean by hardcore. Watched the whole PPV in Japanese, and my wife even watched the Alpha Omega match with me and tolerated 40 minutes of it.

W.T.F. How long was that match?

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

30 minutes-ish, but also watched the entrances.

I am going to watch that right now

#41 6 years ago

That really sucks - add her to the list of injured-by-the-latest-generation. Not that I blame Sasha but man it’s weird there are so many career-ending injuries lately. Sting comes to mind.

I wonder if it’s more care in the part of the doctors, or less work on the neck in the gym? Or something else, like a change in the rules
    Like the NFL?

#44 6 years ago

From a storyline perspective, I don’t know why they SHOULDNT have an off season. Have a R/S “east” and “west” roster. Then you can give the wrestlers a couple months off, and if somebody gets hurt, you call up somebody whose currently off. It wouldn’t be any worse than a surprise injury now, and gives a little more structure to what now is just a big mess with no rules.

#50 6 years ago

Wait - the rd Reynolds here is the Wrestlecrap guy? I would love
    To shake his hand

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from spiroagnew:

The very same. And the guy behind getting the proto WWFRR translite produced, too.
    He can be seen on the Wrestlecrap website doing the Alex Wright dance in front of a row of pins.

Mind blown. That is incredibly cool! That site got me through the doldrums of the post-Monday Night Wars!

#60 6 years ago

I listen to the "talk is jericho" and Stone Cold podcasts, and occasionally Jim Ross's (while one of the greatest announcers of all time, he isn't as great of a conversationalist!) Stone Cold, on the other hand - is a phenomenal interviewer. I also am poring through Jim Cornette's HILARIOUS interviews/commentaries. Even if you don't agree with what he said (and I'm finding more and more that I pretty much do agree, given some thought), he says everything in such a hilarious way they are gold mines. Check it out on Youtube. He offends everyone with equal measure

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Anyone going on the Jericho Rock N Cruise?

Thinking about it. It’s not that much, the roster of wrestlers is great! The rosters of Rock guys... eh..

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from spiroagnew:

I'm a dedicated listener of Cornette, too. I prefer Cornette's Drive-Thru (a short-form laid back Q&A from the fans) rather than the Cornette Experience (one topic, peppered with lots of political bitching), but grabbing clips from the Cornette You-Tube channel will give you the highlights of both, focussing on the funny stuff.
    I'm also enjoying Bruce Prichard's Something To Wrestle With podcast. It's a bit long in the tooth at times, but decent classic wrestling content from a twenty-plus year WWF insider.

I must be listening to the shorter ones mostly, the majority of it is wrestling content, although I don’t mind the politics (I live in DC after all). He gets so pissed off about pretty much everything, it is hilariois

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I just listen to the Post Wrestling Podcast recaps of Raw and Smackdown to keep up with wrestling. If they talk about something cool happening I’ll fast forward to it on the DVR. WAYYY too much product to keep up with now.
    Last guy I was really into was Daniel Bryan because he was believable as a person. Now everyone is just way too scripted and robotic.
    I do like what HHH is doing with NXT though. That is a great show and the Takeovers always deliver.

100% agree with all of this. My son got me Daniel Bryan’s book for Christmas, and while it (really really) isn’t the most well-written book, the story is interesting. It’s written in Daniel’s voice and he talks a LOT about his lack of ambition while in ROH and before, just wanting to have good matches but not be the top guy. Then when he hits WWE something changes, and it’s clear they saw something in him. He specifically noted that Vince gave him a LOT of opportunities to improve before they really put him out there. They knew what they were doing with him all along, it seems. Or at least that’s what the book implies.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

I was a big ECW fan and now watch ROH and Lucha Underground.
    I watched WWF/NWA as a kid and into the 'Attitude Era'.
    I can't watch WWE today, the in ring product is weak at best.
    Roman Reigns, one of their top 'stars' finishes people off with a spear. Lol, I know it's scripted and all but at least do a move worthy of finishing your opponent.
    Oh and he does a Superman punch, wow, how impressive.

My son LOVES Roman, so I try to be careful what I say about him - but yeah the Superman punch.. ugh.. I think if they would just change the name to something else, it wouldn't be quite so awful. I don't mind the spear, it is visually impressive. I dont think anybody does it better than Goldberg (even Edge!) but it's a great on-camera move.

Lucha Underground I am really enjoying - but I do feel like the matches can seem more like acrobatic contests than moves. Ricochet in particular - he's amazing in the ring, but good lord, SELL every once in a while! Lucha Libre has always been more about spots than psychology, but they do sell the moves - there's no excuse on Lucha Underground where it's all taped anyway. That said, I really think it's a super innovative way to do wrestling. They have RULES! And time limits! And they count falls! Holy crap! Those changes alone would give the WWE guys so much more to work with...

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

I'm only half way thru season two of Lucha Underground and yes, it's definitely a different take on wrestling.
    You can really see Robert Rodriguez's influence on the show. I really enjoy the over the top story lines and how it's presented as an underground fight club.
    I thought I'd have a hard time with most of the wrestlers wearing masks but after a few shows I don't really notice so much.
    I unfortunately have limited time to watch wrestling, so it's ROH and Lucha Underground for me. I just have little interest in WWE unless it's to see how former ROH talent is doing.

Yep, makes a lot of sense. Again, ROH has rules (except Fight with no Honor, I guess). That is key to developing meaningful athletic-based storylines. How do you cheat if there are no rules?! WWE has the infrastructure to just bowl people over, and they are rewriting history - it's not wrestling, it's "sports entertainment." But they're even doing a crap job at that.

#73 6 years ago

Funny, Daniel Bryan covers that in his book - he cut a promo when he was starting out (I think right before the Nexus program) and said something like "Yeah, Daniel Bryan is new, he's lost every one of his WWE matches... he doesn't have anything on Youtube. But if you look up BRYAN DANIELSON, that guy is huge!" Apparently Vince was pissed. But then he liked it so they ran with that. Then he fired him anyway after the Nexus angle because Bryan spit in Cena's face

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I thought he was fired for strangling Justin Roberts with his tie?

Whoops, sorry - and that. The strangling and the spit. He said Vince fired him personally (over the phone), and sounded like he basically didn't' want to do it, but they had just gone public and they needed to show they were serious about the PG thing. This is a WWE book after all, so who knows how much of this is legit.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

He was not fired for spitting. He was fired because he choked the announcer, Justin Roberts, with his tie.
    Damn Casey beat me to it

It specifically says in the book that it was the choking with the tie *and* that he spit in Cena's face. And apparently Vince loved the choking. AND they didn't tell Roberts he was going to choke him.. lol. Hey we made the thread go on fire!

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Your right.

Maybe bring Justin Roberts back for Raw 25th to relive the choking moment.

LOL!!

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Raw 25 tonight should be fun. Bringing back lots of the favorites.

Think there will be any surprises? They are advertising Austin, Flair, Undertaker. I think the Rock is almost a guarantee but he comes back so often, I hope they don't let him take over the whole place. Austin really needs an outstanding return, and Undertaker may break kayfabe who knows. He's gotta be done, right?

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I think Taker will do another Wrestlemania.
    If they are going to try to reintroduce Hogan into the mix tonight would be the night for it. He was pretty nuclear for awhile though so knows if that will ever happen.

I think Hogan is still on the outs. There was an official/non-official statement categorically denying he would be there. They don't usually just lie, so I doubt we'll see him. I don't think as many people really associate him with RAW as much as Stone Cold, Rock, Mankind, HHH, DX, etc. I DO hope Sting will be there. He's of course not a "RAW guy" but it's not like they're going to do a 25th for Nitro...

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I've been hearing Taker vs. Cena at Mania gets set up tonight, Hogan was the surprise I could think of but that seems to be pretty much not happening. I don't think I would be made if he came back at this point though.

That would be over the top cool. I re-watched his match with Roman from WM. And I get Roman is a great worker, that was a long match. But I don't think it was really that *good*. Taker was going out, and there was no way for Roman to get out from under that heat, but the match itself should have been a showstopper. It should have been Cena. Too many of the top guys are known to be part timers.

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

Raw 25 was ok. I feel bad for the people who paid $400 for a ticket to the Manhattan Center. I don't think they got anything close to their moneys worth.
    Undertaker segment was weak. It was short and didn't set up anything for the future or confirm retirement. It just seemed unneeded.
    The Austin/McMahon segment was a great way to use nostalgia.
    I'm so sick of DX reunions. HBK is amazing but I don't like goofy DX version of Shawn Michaels.
    Elias looked like money. It was great to see Cena willing to let young talent have a moment on a big show like this.

I agree too; SM seems kind of tired of it too, and they’ve obviously changed as people, it was kinda fun but a little empty. I was pretty sure that Scott Hall was on something too; as a guy who funded a quarter of his hip surgery, that made me a little sad.

The 8-woman tag match was pretty good (adult/mickie/barley/Sasha weRE CLEARLY the better team). The Asuka crazy turn at the end was MONEY!!

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

He deserves another main event run. I love what he is doing to the IC title but he deserves the main event at least one more time. Unfortunately there is a growing list of people who will likely have the WWE or Universal Championship again before him (Reigns, Samoa Joe, Finn Balor, Braun Strowman, Nakamura come to mind right away). Maybe he'll need to go back to Smackdown and do a WWE title run there.

I’d really like to see it on Joe, who is also a tremendous heel, but since he’s on the injury list I guess we keep waiting. They have totally wasted Nakamura since he started

#108 6 years ago

Surprise entrance by Taker? That would at least.. sort of... explain his weird promo at the 25th.

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Nakamura vs Styles

Killer wrestle mania. If you want a preview, check out Wrestle Kingdom 10

#115 6 years ago

The Rumble itself was booked VERY well. The Heath Slater recurring gag was pretty funny, and he got to eliminate Sheamus; probably more TV time than Slater's had in a year! And Rey's return... holy crap that was stunning. He must have the best knee surgeon in the world. Up until the last minute I thought it was going to be Cena or Roman... again... but Nakamura winning, and then Asuka... those were outstanding matches. The rest of the card... eh...

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Rey coming back made my night, and man that dude looked the best he has since like '97. The final 6 with a staredown of new school vs old school was pretty cool as well. I really think the Philly crowd may have stormed the ring if Reigns went over in the Rumble there again. I'm curious to hear the back story on Mysterio coming back. Basically wondering if it is a actual contract, if it was a one-off, if it was planned for awhile, or if he was brought in as the emergency because the WWE has lost so many cruiserweights in recent months and they are hoping he will jumpstart the division again or something. Regardless he is one of my all time favorites and I thought he looked great during the match hitting everyone he could with the 619!

I heard from Meltzer that last night was a one-off, AND they only did the deal in the past week so it was a secret. but they (WWE) are open to doing more. So not an official source but as close as you can get lately. He could definitely be used in the cruiser weight division! Even as a GM perhaps. After the tragedy with el Hijo del Pedro Aguayo, it was a little uncomfortable seeing him hit that first 619, but he ran and rolled and hurricanrana’d everybody so smoothly it was like no time had passed!

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

No kidding. Yea, Braun might have caught him a little with that knee, but no where near the level of that obvious "retaliation" punch. I'm amazed he pretty much shook it off like nothing happened. Gave me a headache just seeing it! Anyone else would be getting fined or suspended for that.

It was obviously a receipt for the knee - you could hear Brock say “calm the F Down!!” Braun is still pretty green, but I find it funny that Brock was so pissed off getting hit, haha

3 weeks later
    #132 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Awesome story and cute kiddo! He’s got good tastes... Almas is a badass.
    NXT is truly the best thing going in WWE right now.

It really is, although the cruiser weights continue to have some of the best matches I’ve ever seen. This is shocking given the incredible amount of talent on the main roster. WWE really needs a WCW-level threat to get them creative again. I fully believe they can do attitude-quality storylines with PG-era rules, but they’re just not trying. All the wrestlers now also have to be great actors and read their lines to perfection, whereas in the past they were able to improv a lot of their stuff, which led to all the breakout phrases and chants. Guys coming up with their own stuff really made things take off like a rocket.

My understanding is now that guys just don’t take it as seriously as they used to. It’s just a job, it’s not their whole life. I’m not advocating that that’s a healthy thing, but I think it may be why WWE feels
    Compelled to write everything down and micromanage everything.

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from vglohaus:

The problem is that as soon as WWE senses another wrestling organization gaining steam they just go out and buy their top stars. ROH was headed in the right direction, but now has lost about 75% of their talent over the past 3 years to WWE/NXT. Most of the time WWE is tough to watch because it is a broken record of storylines, which sucks because they have so much talent on their roster. They just don’t know how to use what they have. I’d easily rather watch NXT over either of the other two WWE brands, but NJPW has now become my favorite and it’s not even close.

NJPW is indeed awesome, but they won’t be a real threat until they change their contracting policy -

1 week later
    #137 6 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Is it me or does Ronda Rousey need to work on her acting skills? Last night's segment in which she challenged Stephanie McMahon wasn't very convinsing to me. I knew it would end up being a mixed tag match, but how a singles match was turned into that didn't make much sense either.

She's not a wrestler yet - I fully agree, she is green as grass. Hoping and expecting she gets better at it though. I felt the signing of her contract was well done, but it seemed clear to me that a lot of that was real emotion. She's got that 'it' factor though, so if she gets a bit better at the acting - and doesn't hurt anybody- she'll make it far. Angle is the easiest example of somebody who figured it out, but for every Angle (and Mark Henry!) there are 1,000 Mr T's and Mike Tysons, etc.

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yeah she needs to be put with Heyman, its the only thing that makes sense as she can't talk.
    I got to go to the NXT show in Indianapolis the other night and catch Johnny Wrestling's last match against Andrade Cien Almas and they tore the place down, a great show. The only disappointment was no Purple Rainmaker from Velveteen Dream and no elbow drop from Kairi Sane, oh well, maybe next time. I should get to see both at NXT Takeover New Orleans in 1 month!

Well Brock appears to be leaving - she would explode if they put her with Heyman. He'll teach her a ton too

#140 6 years ago

The angle they are running where Brock is half-assing and no-showing house shows is interesting; it’s at least semi-creative for once. I do not think it will get Roman more over. But when Brock actually leaves maybe that allows AJ to come in as the top heel. Or SOMETHING. They are wasting so much amazing talent between Finn, AJ, even KO. And Braun Strowman is a great attraction - they really should keep him doing funny stuff and lighten up a touch on the ridiculous feats of strength. He’s getting over huge, because him and Elias (what happened to Cena?!) have great chemistry. I still think he’s green but he will get there

My son watched the end of elimination chamber last night, and he is starting to sour on Ronan a bit; he could hear the boos. he thinks for a minute and says “Roman should go up and say I’m sorry I ended the undertsker’s career, I didn’t want to. I wanted him to stay forever too. But Brock beat him first, and I am going to make sure Brock never comes back around here again. I’m dedicating my match to Undertaker.”

I almost choked on my dinner. He’s 8, that is genius.

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

That is awesome, and Roman is great worker, but the way he is booked he is always going to struggle, I honestly think the whole company will as long as VKM is running the show and not HHH. Look how great NXT's stories are booked compared to anything on the main roster. And agree so many talented guys and gals all over the company, but they rarely give us a reason to care about their matches now.

Hard to argue - I really think they should go back to letting guys talk for themselves. There will be some stinkers out there but embarassing yourself on live TV will make somebody GET BETTER. Right now they all have the crutch which is the word-by-word scripts written. They have 5 minutes learn a promo, and hardly any time to figure out how to 'act' so everybody just spits out the words and there's no dynamics to the show. I'm all in favor of somebody else taking the reins. Hey I hear Cornette isn't doing much lately!

2 weeks later
    #154 6 years ago

That was awesome. Smackdown needed a boost and boy did they get it! And Shane leaving is probably a good thing. Now if they can just get rid of Stephanie...

2 weeks later
    #156 6 years ago

What do you all think? Shane is back now, will he double-cross Daniel Bryan after their big hug?

My money is on the stage 2 Sasha vs Bayley kicking off during the battle royale

Should AJ vs Shinsuke be the final match? It will be for me, I have no interest in seeing Brock 2002 again. LOLRomanWins. Hope it’s not UnderBiker vs Cena

#163 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yeah totally makes sense, but he could also be an Austin like character in a heel that sells a shit ton of stuff. I think no matter what he is going to be money. Him turning heel would be too fun though and vince wouldn't like that I assume, he only seems to want to crush what fans want. Regardless very cool to see him again. After being at last years mania and saying goodbye to the undertaker I was really hoping he wouldn't be back, but I think the return of the biker gimmick is inevitable at this point. Should be fun regardless.

I was thinking about Taker’s return, and I bet Cena pushed for it backstage, wanting to add one more notch to Taker’s belt. I can’t see Vince wanting Biker taker over Deadman, but Kid Rock is going into the HOF (whyyyy????) so it does seem most likely. I’d mark out for the gong. Perhaps the Raw 30 thing was him retiring the Deadman gimmick but not himself entirely? Not sure if that’s a good move.

Anyway, that would be an awesome closer.

No way in the world is DB going to turn heel. They barely have any true babyfaces right now - everybody’s a tweeter. I always thought PG-era should be cut and dry who’s a heel and who’s a face. But everybody wants to be the Outsiders. Even frickin’ Roman! To me, he comes off selfish, with the “this is my yard now”. That’s not what works as a babyface, because there’s no underdog. he needs some more humanity (run in and save Seth from a beat down) so people get behind him.

That just reminded me about Dean - hope he makes an appearance, his injury should be just about up

#169 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

That would be cool. I have heard rumors it is going to be Rey Mysterio. Not sure that is true though. Big Cass should be coming back soon too.

No, Rey is still hurt. Torn bicep, I think. He had to drop out of a NJPW show, so it appears to be legit.

Even though it makes no sense, I would be all for Braun somehow tagging himself in as “Brains” Strowman during the match. That was funny as hell.

My money’s on Big Show. “The New Twin Towers!”

Hope Cass can hang now that his little remora Enzo is gone. I suspect he may get lost in the shuffle. Hopefully they repackage him or something.

#176 6 years ago
    Quoted from JB-7X:

I’m hoping a rebooted Bray Wyatt fresh from the lake of reincarnation will be Braun’s partner.

The Mower of Lawns!!

#183 6 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

I would love to see Braun getting on a school bus and going with Nicholas to school today to show off the new straps (oops, sorry Vince, Championship Titles). Braun holding the titles going down the slide. Braun playing a mean game of dodgeball. The possibilities are endless. Is this going to be a new kid every week? Kids love a giant, this guy is going to go over HUUUUUGE.

This is genius. Braun is the next Roman (edit: I mean he’s next on top and the big kid magnet), and he should be. He’s way more fun, has a GREAT sense of humor (Brains Strowman, plus all the appearances he did on Instagram riding roller coasters, his podcast with Jericho and Gallows/Anderson. Now there’s a great stable for ya)

My son had to go to bed before the Nicholas match but I can’t wait to show him

#188 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Them relinquishing the titles on Raw last night was hilarious.

It’s been conventional wisdom that Braun is the next big thing, but this seals the deal. He’s believably tough, can take a mean punch (Brock’s receipt) and FUNNY. How do you not like him? If you’re funny and a little guy, you’re a “comedy character” (Santino). If you’re big and funny when appropriate - you’re printing money. The smarks like him because he still puts on good matches, the kids like him because DUH, and he still cracks a smile so he’s not a impenetrably dark. I assume all this means the writers are actually writing him this way, which is by a mile the main reason he’s next.

I still think they can get Roman over by having him lose -more- His promo on Raw was going the right way - he almost moved on, he was upset, that was great.

THEN they tried to pull the “I don’t know what’s going on huh Brock re-signed?!?! I didn’t know I didn’t know. I’ll still beat him guys. “. Ugggggghhhh... he must still sell a lot of shirts otherwise this makes no business sense as well as story sense.

#189 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Also the cheers for Nicholaus during the main event, I get it, a bit rude when two dudes are out there busting their butts, but man I really hope Vince took note of just how badly people do not want to see Reigns and Lesnar anymore. And Joe's promos on Raw destroying Roman was great and made me want to see him destroy him in the ring.

I really feel like that wasn’t helped by the length of the show. 7 hours?! The arena is waaay dead by hour 4. Just because Vince doesn’t sleep doesn’t mean crowds don’t get tired. They were quiet for most of AJ/Shinsuke which shocked me. Draft next.

#196 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

So does anyone know why they are doing another Royal Rumble?

Special event paid for by the Saudi Arabian royal family, which they will brand as a Network Exclusive . Kinda makes sense ... not sure if this will finally be the end for Brock or what.. 50 guys though. How do you book that?!

#200 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I’m really curious how much wwe is making in that show.

I'm sure it's going to be big $$. I just read in Jericho's 3rd book how they did a short tour in China and most of the dates the arenas only had a few fans, because the government bought up all the tickets and only doled them out to a few people. They made serious $$ on those shows. This one they get to do the live thing in a big arena, sell tickets, AND put it on the network as an exclusive. I assume more subscribers is the idea. More subscribers = more $$$

1 week later
    #206 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

You did not want to mess with Lawler back in the day.
    » YouTube video

Going to hang out with him in a couple weeks!!!

#208 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Legend! Get a pic!

You know it! Got one with him and my son from this summer (I look like a total dork). My kid is holding the King's crown with the biggest smile on his face

4 months later
    #212 5 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Didn't go, but did watch it. It was a good show. I usually recognize the old school wrasslers even if it's been several years since they were on TV, but the Genius has no resemblance to his younger self. The Cody Rhodes match was a bit overbooked with extra NWA fan service for the ending, but it was his show, so I can appreciate the reasoning for it.

I heard Lanny made an appearance - what does he look like these days?

#215 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I want to watch it on one of the streaming services just to see if I missed much. I missed the entire battle royal in the merch line. Only show I've ever been to where it was easier to get beer than merchandise. We waited about an hour and the line was way longer when we left so I can't imagine how long some people waited.

It’s inexplicable but ROH has -always- had this issue. Their merch is kind of the Wild West. Some of it is the venue - the venues are permanently set up to sell beer and food, and merch is the big long table and bigger longer lines where everything is kinda slow. Even the last WWE house show we went to in Baltimore was like that a bit (although significantly better run.) ROH would be smart to step their game up in the merch department now that they’ve got everyone’s attention.

#221 5 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

The stream I watched kept hawking their ProWrestlingTees.com site. Every commercial break featured that site, so maybe that's where those in the know shop? The Battle Royal was cool and worth watching. If I had to choose a match to miss, it would've been the awkward hardcore match, but even that wasn't terrible. The announce team also had that Emma character and some other girl as a guest during the women's match, so if you're into that you can hear them. The announcer named Don? sounded a bit like Gorilla Monsoon at times. Maybe it was his accent, but it made the event seem more nostalgic.

Don Callis! He used to be called “The Jackal” in WWE. And Cyrus the Virus in (I think?) ECW. Booked for TNA for a hot minute, good friend of Jericho too from back in the day. He has a great podcast with Lance Storm where they relentlessly rib each other, it’s called “killing the town”

#222 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

That was the general consensus from the group I went with too. We are thinking about a 12 hour trip to the NWA 70th anniversary show next month.

That’s a good thing. Monday night wars.

2 weeks later
    #228 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Ha! That’s almost exactly how my wife and I thought it went down. Eventually we will know how much HBK was paid since WWE is public and discloses compensation. I’m super curious.
    My guess is HBK is being paid $1.5 mill for all appearances/matches this year and about the same next year (with a singles match next year). $3 mill for basically one year of part time work is my guess.

I bet it’s even higher than that - that’s a good payday for a great year, but HBK is a major real estate investor now - 1.5M May not Be enough to get him off the ranch. Hope he doesn’t get hurt against Undertaker and Kane. Lord, hopefully none of them get hurt! lol

I am taking my son to Smackdown 1000 in DC, which should be unforgettable

#235 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I just did the same thing. Trying out Ring of Honor Club instead.

Come on, guys, you’re gonna lower my stock value! Haha

same here kinda, they just seem directionless and there’s this bizarre whiplash effect from certain feuds changing on a dime, and then we have the OMG IS IT GOING TO BE ROMAN AGAIN?!? Which never seems to end.

Don’t get me wrong, I think roman is awesome -when he is with the shield -
    But by himself and the Brock feud.. give me a break. Those guys are being hurt a little bit by the PPVs being so long but man it’s just boring as hell. Even Braun is starting to get a little of that stink on him. It’s time to change it up. IMO Braun was killing when he was allowed to be funny. Now he’s just another huge angry guy with absolutely no story. They can do better than this

Then you have the whole drew/ziggler vs Ambrose / Rollins, which is a GREAT feud. Thats giving it a little juice putting Braun in there, but I’m sure they’ll mess it up as usual

That said, I like the network because of all the old stuff on there, and the occasional new program they do every 6 months.. I love the Legends table episodes where they sit around and discuss stuff, that is my favorite show of all. I wish they’d do more of that

#238 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Man, the length of pay per views needs to be cut down. They could just shorten the matches. Summers Kam had the right match length and it was paced well but every other PPV just seems to drag because they have 20 min duration matches.
    Also, the fueds need to resolve faster and change up. They need to expand the women’s roster some.

Totally agree. They have the PPVs every month now, and they are basically cramming in 2 PPVs of story. WM was like 7 hours this year! Maybe a bit much. I shut it off before the Main Event, and gee it had the exact outcome I expected.

I will say that Brock coming out at the end of HIAC was TOTALLY not on my radar - that was good. The match wasn't really, but those guys aren't wrestling, that's just a power punch show

1 week later
    #242 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Angle, Big Show, HHH, Taker, HBK, Kane, Cena. Saudi money is strong!

When is the crown royal
    Thing? Saudi royal family basically looking like organized crime right now.

1 week later
    #248 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Damn. Roman is out to fight leukemia.

Wow, I had to go look that up. That Suuuuuucks. I didn’t love the character nor the push, but there’s no denying he’s a bad ass performer.

#251 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Best raw ending in a long while.

What happened? I missed the last 20 minutes

#253 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Seth and Dean won tag titles then Dean turned. Brutally beat Seth. Crowd was stunned and silent.

Wtf

After that roman announcement? Will be interesting to see how this plays out

#255 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yeah worth looking up video. Most shocked crowd I’ve seen since Brock went over Taker at mania.

Wow, that is saying something. I feel like if they were that shocked, they haven’t been paying attention, since WWE has been teasing Dean’s turn since he came back.

Maybe people figured they wouldn’t do it because of Roman’s Announcement. Kinda makes sense though - the Shield is no more without Roman anyway, and now we know who headlines Wrestlemania

#256 5 years ago

I was thinking about this the other day.. since basically every guy is in WWE now, there’s very few surprise announcements and run-ins, debuts that can happen any more. What was the last huge debut? AJ, I think. And he’s been on fire since he started - but who else? Vince has put everybody else out of business, so there’s nowhere for anybody to grow, except at the Performanxe Center, and then we all know 2 years in advance.

Cody is the only other star I can think of who would come (back) in, and take over like that.

#259 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yep same here. My buddies and I watching said okay well obviously next week Seth and Dean are going to be singles guy's again because that is what happens when the Shield isn't at full strength. Then that tag match was obviously very good and they won it! We were like wow guess they are staying together this time, and then the turn. It was well done.
    And yes the WWE does have a ton of the talent out there, but I've been getting more and more into ROH and NWA stuff. What they are doing has been great. My friends and I made a 12 hour round trip this weekend to see NWA 70th Anniversary show because we wanted to see the rematch between Cody and Aldis. It was really great. New Japan has a ton of great talent as well. With all the streaming services now it is much easier to see the other options out there besides WWE. Last night was the first Raw I've watched in a few months, and I still missed the first half. I was sleeping at home when a friend called about the news of Roman so I figured I should at least turn it on and see how the show finished out. I'm glad I did. Anyway check out NWA on youtube and even Being the Elite if you want a different take on the wrestling business in 2018, both deliver regular content, way less fluff, and some really great wrestling. Cody vs. Willie Mack from like a week or two ago was a great match.

Interesting, I didn’t watch the whole show but it sounds like this was one of the 10 “good” RAWs of the year! We attended Smackdown 1000 last week and that was a truly awesome show - I’m not sure what ended up on tv but man they went all out, and there were 5 matches after the show went off the air, all of which were killer, (Becky /Charlotte was the main event, which was really good for a dark match). They also did 2 mixed match challenge matches which were great.

Really good suggestions - I’ve followed NJPW for a while now, but getting to actually watch it lately is a whole different experience. I’ve not been able to find ROH but I’ll try harder.

#261 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSHCTJS2P4Hvu_reLKtiT6g/playlists
    Lots of good stuff here. Just a different way to present pro wrestling, I think it is a bit more modern in presentation style while remaining a bit truer to pro wrestling's origins.

Awesome, thanks!! I don’t mind the WWE soap opera most of the time, but the creative has been SO BAD for quite a while, i am basically not watching RAW any more and only watch smackdown occasionally so we can actually see some wrestling. This seems like it will help with that!

#264 5 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I've been shifting towards watching exclusively PPVs and then getting my Raw/Smackdown recaps from YouTube.

Yep that’s exactly what I’m doing. I am on the fence about cancelling the Network though, yes because of Crown royal . I started out as a journalist so not to bring politics in, but it really bothers me that US companies are taking SO much money from that regime, and that Linda is part of the president’s cabinet. That does not seem right. But ae’ll See what happens with the sanctions. Anyway, sorry - wrestling:

#265 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yep it has been the cure for me. NXT helps a lot too as it is much more wrestling focused and only an hour per week.

Yes! I do also wish they would go back to some of the round table shows they did on the old WWE 24/7 channel. 10 or so legends sitting around talking about different topics. Those are in “the vault” but they are the best non-in-ring shows on the network!

#267 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yeah that totally makes sense. Very interesting to see what happens with that show at this point. I've heard the latest rumor is they are offering Stone Cold upwards of $10 million to make a comeback match. It is like they have become a real-life version of the Million Dollar Man.

LOL. 1) that is hilarious, and 2) I can’t see Stone Cold coming back; he always says he’s done on his podcasts - (although that pop at Raw 25...)

#271 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

HBK said the same thing, then enough money was laid down. I can't even blame the guys, they put their bodies through so much for so many years for so little, hard to knock them for suddenly having an easy pay day.

Damn, yep you are right. Maybe Broken Skull IPA needs a cash infusion .. haha

#272 5 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I just wish they would give us something closer to a dream match if they are going to give somebody like HBK a huge payday. I don't want to watch HBK wrestle in a tag team match with his boardroom buddy Triple H facing off against a mayor and a past-prime Undertaker. I want to see HBK in a match with somebody who is going to help hide HBKs ring rust and still deliver a great match. AJ Styles and Seth Rollins are the two opponents that come to mind for me.

ALL the guys are really past their prime. It’s funny though - Hogan is WAY older than these guys and he was still carrying matches at their age. I mean he’s not a technician by any means but nobody cared. Hell, Flair was still going at 60! I am as big a mark for Taker and HBK as anybody, but ..yeah no.

#273 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Crown Royal lol... delicious. I hear the event is moving to the states.
    I usually only check out Raw or Smackdown if I hear something on the Post Wrestling podcasts that sounds worth tuning in to.

The last rumor I saw was somewhere in the U.K. . Not sure if that was substantive or if it was just because “Crown” Jewel

3 weeks later
    #285 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Definitely do Takeover, it has surpassed Mania for me that last two years in person. This weekends Takeover was so much better than the main roster, the stories actually make you care.

1,000% agree

1 week later
    #292 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I just don't get Vince's hatred of Finn Balor, it drives me insane how badly he has killed momentum for up and coming NXT guys the last few years, and how he insists on pushing people the crowd doesn't care for. My group of friends and I have all started moving to watch independent stuff via Fite app and ROH and NJPW, they at least aren't terrible at telling stories. Raw was on at the bar last night and I only stopped playing pinball to watch some of Finn and just got to see him get destroyed by 3 of the biggest guys on the roster for no reason, and Rollins vs Ziggler for what feels like the 8th week in a row.

I don't usually watch Raw because I tend to have stuff going on Mondays, or I'm working or whatever. But I put it on the other night for the first time live in like, 3-4 years. OH MY GOD. I couldn't make it 45 minutes. That had to be one of the all-time stinkers.

My son's favorite wrestlers are Finn, Rey and AJ. He's seen all 3 live, and we watch Smackdown a lot, but I can't bring myself to let him see Finn lose so often on Raw. Seriously, WTF would have happened if he hadn't torn his arm in that championship match with Seth?

1 month later
    #303 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Heard rumor today of Netflix. To me that would be genius. Still excited to see what they offer regardless just because it’s at least another option. Also anyone else watch Wrestle Kingdom? See New Japan is coming to Nashville soon, may have to make another drive down like we did for the NWA 70th anniversary show.

That would be brilliant - Lucha Underground proved the more traditional episodic stuff works. I’m on the fence about Kenny. He should prob stick with AEW. In WWE he’d get lost or neutered.

2 weeks later
    #311 5 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

Royal Rumble predictions?

Have they posted who's actually in it? I'm thinking Braun will win, or Cena as a "surprise" after his questionable injury. Braun will most certainly interrupt the Brock/Balor match, which pisses me off quite a bit. I am just so tired of Brock, and I'm high on Braun, but his character has gotten stale. Raw is supposed to be the flagship show but it's like they NEVER have their shit together.

#316 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

So I’m guessing Seth and Becky I guess. Anyone else?

For the rumble winners? Or did you mean for the belts?

I absolutely hope Finn pulls off an upset. I’m sure it would have to be with Braun’s assistance, but that’s what we get in this day and age.

The Vince booking of “BIG MAN SO MUST WIN!” is so stale, and robs the audience of an -actual- underdog .. despite the overtures to such storylines to M. Ali and Daniel Bryan circa 2015.

Anyway I am super tired of Brock, who has basically no charisma - I would be 100% behind him if this was UFC.. but it’s not. IMO The belts should be on AJ/Daniel (good job Smackdown) and Finn / Seth. And Becky / Asuka. Charlotte is an amazing talent too but they need to let her cool off. The office shoving people down our throats is continuing to backfire, especially with all the AEW buzz.

That said, when Roman returns.. holy hell things will erupt. EVERYONE wants to see him come back, even if you hated him originally. Shield reunion, done. Top of the world. But let’s get him a little better on the stick too..

#330 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Everyone see that Ambrose is leaving after mania? AEW or Japan, What you guys think?

This is really bad - I super hope it’s a work, but I think we all know it’s not. If he leaves and succeeds in AEW (I mean, duh thats where he’s going), expect to see KO and Sami who are not getting good creative. Actually, I mean who really is? I’m all for HHH taking over now. They are trying to do too much and not doing a good job at any of it -

Becky is over because Becky. Asuka is doing amazing on her own, but the stupid booking is killing her. I can’t even think of someone on the men’s roster who has an interesting story happening.

My god, my 9 year old asked me about 100 times if I thought Finn was going to win against Brock, and I told him the truth. And he STILL got upset - I mean crying. I have never seen this kid cry, since the 2nd time he broke his leg, and he was 4 then. (Long story, he’s an active dude). That made me go from “losing interest WWE fan” to “angry dad WWE fan”. How are they going to keep people engaged? There’s only so many times I can talk about the glory days.

#334 5 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

It's not "really bad" actually. Wrestling hasn't been good since we had two companies competing in a ratings war on Monday nights. I miss those days. I hope AEW is successful. Wrestling fans shouldn't have to settle for just WWE programming. WWE obviously thinks they are THE promotion. For the past 18 years, they've been buying tape libraries and slapping their logo on everything. Rewriting wrestling history. Hell, in just a few years, I won't be surprised if newer fans believe everything that occurred back in WCW, ECW, AWA, etc, all the old territories, had all taken place under the WWE umbrella. All of those moments they now own. They are slowly killing wrestling history. I hope AEW takes some of the spotlight away and starts writing history again. Most fans have no clue how good the 90s really were.
    I really admire your 9 year old son. I remember being 10 and hoping Owen would beat Bret for the Championship in 1994. Just some advice, as a fellow wrestling dad, don't have him focus so much on the fact that Finn Balor lost. Point out to him how much he really fought and took the fight to Brock. It was a good match. He almost won. Brock locked in that kimura lock and it was over. But Finn looked really strong against Brock. He gave a great effort. Turn the negative into a few positives.

Good points - I suppose I meant that it was "really bad for WWE"; agree that competition is needed. Good advice re: Finn as well; we did talk about him showing he's a top guy almost going the distance. It's just bad luck though that EVERY match we've seen at house shows and PPVs he's lost. Finn is his favorite wrestler along with AJ (he is very impressed that Finn trained Becky), but it's getting tough.

quick story - we've run into the King a bunch of times, and recently he stopped and talked to my son for a bit. He was very generous with his time, and we told him we'd recently hung out at his joint in Memphis. The King then asks my son "so... who's your favorite wrestler?" My kid answers "AJ Styles!" I have never seen a grown man turn on a dime and just freeze up. END of conversation. LOL!

#336 5 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

takeovers are usually better than the wwe ppv the next day, the matches are usually all killer and no filler and the wrestling is insane, those guys and girls kill it to be noticed

And they have a lot longer to prepare too, less pressure for RATINGS!! Ratings!!

1 week later
    #346 5 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I was watching both and Halftime Heat managed to hold my attention more. The whole Super Bowl sucked. WWE/NXT should have told the other wrestlers to suit up. Halftime Heat is being extended to 3rd and 4th quarter heat!

That was a great match - boosted everybody IMO, and made it clear Dream has got the rocket strapped to him.

I think they could have done. 2 matches, but the way they booked that got a lot More deserving guys time to show their stuff. I was sports entertained.

I am thinking more and more I wish WWE would do a true brand split - like no contact whatsoever, different news, don’t bring anybody together until WM, and do a brand draft -every 6 months-. If people don’t get drafted, it gives them some time off, allows a comeback story, etc. Maybe somebody gets hurt and they have to call somebody up to replace them. You know, like actual sports work.

That’s also way less time to write, it brings back damn RULES, they can officially make rule changes like NFL does. People always dissect that stuff for weeks. Then figure out a way for heels to break those rules to win.

#349 5 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I've been saying for years that wrestlers should get more time off. WWE will never get away from the year-round model. But there is no reason you can't write time off for everybody at different times of the year. Assuming a wrestler is healthy he'll be on TV every week. There is no reason the same person needs to be on TV 52 weeks in a row. Write in an injury angle, a suspension, contract negotiations, etc. But everybody will benefit from rotating time off. If that person has been off TV for 6-8 weeks, there will be a resurgence from the wrestler in terms of performance and the fans will give a refreshed pop.

1000% agree! Why is this not already a thing? They could build new stars this way, and the returning wrestler gets a boost from being off tv. Win-win. Especially since now they are doing this “WWE brand is the star” thing, they don’t seem to care about the individuals (hence why Dean is leaving apparently), but haven’t figured out how to make that entertaining. they are adopting all this other hollywood stuff, not letting guys do their own promos, why not make it easier on the writers??

1 month later
    #356 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Scary moment as Hitman was attacked while giving his Hall of Fame speech.
    [quoted image]

Is that a real
    Photo of the dumbass? He got annihilated by Travis Browne and Dash wilder. I’ve been thinking Travis Browne has been gunning for a WWE career since he’s always in every Rhonda video, almost Always is the background... anyway he may have done his audition this time

2 weeks later
    #361 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Anyone else going to Double or Nothing? What about G1 in Dallas?
    I'm actually pumped for the Cody vs. Dustin match as much as anything else. It really interests me how AEW is building this card basically through a 10-minute weekly youtube video and WWE has 5 hours of tv per week to build stories and can't do it.

I think that’s exactly the problem - you can’t tell wrestling stories with 5 hours of tv, but only using 20 people or so.

They have SO many people on the roster that aren’t being utilised well, or even at ALL! there are no squash matches which helped get big monsters over without requiring much of them, and there are title defences almost every night which seems like too much to me.

I think I’m way more interested in AEW now, because of the promise of what could be, instead of the disappointment of what is. WWE is doing the right thing bringing back some of the old names to help write and produce the show

2 weeks later
    #366 4 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

Added AEW to the post title. I'm really hoping that AEW caters to my interests more than WWE. I'm sick of WWE insulting my intelligence with inconsistent storylines, awful booking, and not building up new talent. I'm willing to jump ship if AEW can offer something more entertaining, which shouldn't be difficult.

Hear, hear. they are panicking because the ratings are SO bad. You’ve got to put the blame at Vince’s feet; I think he’s totally mischaracterising the audience. Or he is putting too much faith in writers who have contempt for their audience.

Older viewers are smartened up, new viewers are just smart, period. And fans of old
    School “wrasslin’” (which vince allegedly hates) are turned off by the total lack of wrestling on RAW. the audience isn’t a bunch of dumbasses who will just follow any old story just because there’s a match at the end of the tunnel.

WWE is clearly scared of AEW’s funding, and unlike WCW, this time they may really put WWE out of commission. Let’s see how Double or Nothing goes - it could still flop, or Wwe could muscle them out like they did at MSG.

#368 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

It’s pretty much the same formula they had before the attitude area which got them in trouble and WCW beat them. Turrible.
    Time for HHH to take over!

Meaning basically no formula? Lol, that’s what it seemed like!

At least there was Bret and SCSA at WM13 back then - eventually. Seems like we’re more like 1994;WM 10 level lameness.

#370 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Check out our Gfuel schwag for NYCPC 2019 this year!
    All weekend pass buyers and reg players will get a bag.
    Was hoping for a Macho Man sack but no such luck, just being greedy. This stuff is great.
    www.nycpinballchamps.com[quoted image]

Nice! I have that GFuel Flair shaker cup. Works well!

Ask Miss Elizabeth about the Macho Man sack. *rimshot*

#374 4 years ago

I am on board, I just hope they can sustain the momentum. Their production value will not look anything close to WWE which I know will turn a lot of Fans off.

I’m ready though - just cancelled my Network subscription (along with my NJPW account, as I didn’t watch that nearly as much I thought I would - and the lack of a Roku or PS3/smart tv app was a killer)

Here’s hoping Ambrose/Moxley hits AEW and not Impact !

#378 4 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I don't think AEW is going to put WWE to rest. WWE is making more money than ever before despite the declining ratings. My realistic hope is that the competition from AEW forces WWE to change for the better. From the talent side of thing, I think we'll continue to see people leave WWE for AEW as long as AEW can continue to pay close to (or more) than WWE is paying. I know some of the guys in AEW are getting paid WWE type money for far less dates.
    I don't think AEW will go head to head with WWE on the same night of TV. Cody Rhodes has said multiple times that they want to co-exist with WWE and aren't trying to beat them. With that mindset, it would be foolish for them to broadcast on the same night in the way WCW did.
    At the end of the day, I'm hoping for healthy competition because I think there is enough room for both to be successful.

Very unlikely, agreed. But if the Khan family sees an opportunity here, and they can prove they are able to keep up with live tv, they may be able to cause USA, FOX to renegotiate the WWE contracts. That would be bad. They've become complacent what with the Network, and zero competition.

WWE still has tons of money pouring in from Saudi Arabia (don't even get me started) so they may be able to persist if they just become the Prince's personal wrestling company, but... i mean, damn. How do they not even give a crap about their own product? This is what 50/50 booking and "the brand is the star" gets you. Big trouble.

#380 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Can’t wait til all these guys that are jumping back and forth magically pick a side and hate the other side come Survivor Series time. UNDER SEIGE!

LOL

#382 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I followed suit and canceled my WWE Network subscription. Just
    not worth having at this point. NXT is on Hulu and I already have
    that at $.99 per month and it was about the only thing I watched
    regularly on the network. No more money to WWE until shit gets
    better.

Yep. They even made me not care about vintage matches! End of May can’t get here fast enough...

#384 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yep agreed. I'll sign up with some burner email for a free month
    if there is ever a time that I actually need to see something on
    there. For now back to enjoying companies that are putting on good
    matches and stories. MLW has been quite entertaining if you guys
    haven't checked it out I think it is worth a watch. The New Hart
    Foundation down there are entertaining as hell.

Thx for the reminder! I’ve heard Court(sp?) Bauer on a bunch of podcasts but never checked out the product

#386 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I got sucked in by reading an article about the life of Teddy
    Hart after seeing him on an indie show at Wrestlemania 34. It was
    pretty interesting and the stuff him and little davey boy and
    pillman jr are doing is quite entertaining. Check out the
    moonsaulting cat if you haven't seen it. Silly but entertaining in
    a good way which is what wrestling should be to me.

Wth moonsaulting cat! Is Jim cornette involved with this or would he have a conniption?

#388 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I think it was before Cornette signed on with them just some
    funny promo video but good stuff.

Just watched it last night, it was wacko! Lol

#392 4 years ago
    Quoted from SpiffyRob:

AEW coming to TNT! Hooray!
    Double or Nothing $50 on PPV. Yikes.

That seems high because of the WWE Network - but that’s a fairly good price. Boxing is WAY more nowadays

3 months later
    #402 4 years ago

Makes sense IMO. NXT (being shorter) has been a much better show than Raw lately. Maybe even Smackdown too. I'm uh, sure, it had NOTHING to do with another show starting up on Wednesdays...

#405 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Takeovers are way better than WWE PPVs too. You put these guys/girls in a smaller venue and the place is electric.

Agreed 100%

#407 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Just hope it remains Trip’s vision. I could see the old man wanting to be all over it now. (Best Vince voice) “Goddamn pal, let’s get Roman on the show!”

Word was this week VKM wasn’t even at RAW. That is highly unusual. Might be XFL-related, remember he is also doing that. Can you say “spread too thin”?

#409 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I know that this might be an unpopular opinion, but I am just not that excited about AEW. Don't get me wrong, they have fantastic talent, but I am just not a fanboy of the schticky stuff that the Young Bucks, Kenny, Cody etc do. I watch Raw out of habit and under Heyman it is getting better but still kind of blah. I really do like NXT and am excited to see them get even more of a time to shine. Like somebody said above, I hope that they keep it HHH's vision and let it be its own thing.

I totally get this - and some of the sillier stuff I agree with. But if you avoid “Being the Elite” (which is supposed to be, and has always been silly on purpose), almost everything else is real serious. Kenny is borderline very occasionally, but I dont think I’ve actually seen him doing goofy in-ring stuff since NJPW. All of the PPV (and I assume the tv show) has been awesome wrestling and great promos

4 weeks later
    #412 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Anybody watch NXT tonight on USA and the network? That was a show! Felt very new and exciting. I like that they are bringing in the U.K. folks. We will see how the rosters shape up over the next few weeks but this was so much better than Raw. I will sample AEW but this will be strong competition for them if this continues.
    WALTER FTW!

I missed it, but was this the first episode, that was only 1 hour while they gear up for the 2-hour show?

#414 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yeah the first hour was on USA, then the second hour was on the network still and I guess they had a lot of technical difficulties with the network transition. Sounded like some great matches (which we have come to accept as the norm for NXT) and some very cool stories with Imperium vs Undisputed Era being teased for War Games it seems which is only 2 months away. I've already got my tickets for that one and looking very forward to it.
    As for AEW, I'm psyched for it's TNT debut. I'll catch up on NXT via the network as I have for the past 5-6 years now when I have the time, but as far as Wednesday night graps go I'll be tuned in to see what those guys are doing on TNT. I've been to All In, Double or Nothing, All Out, and I have my tickets booked for their Indianapolis and Chicago shows in November. The show and crowd at those events is just awesome. Anyway, great time to be a fan of both wrestling and pinball with competition all over the place bringing out the best in everyone.

I’ve PPV’d all the AEW events, and I’m really psyched about what they’re doing - I do hope they tone down some of the really dumb stuff. I think it’s super interesting how they’re doing so much to be inclusive, although I’m confused about how they are booking Nyla Rose (shouldn’t she just be a monster heel /special attraction?). On the goofy stuff, I am starting to come around to Jim Cornette’s point of view. I know kayfabe is dead, but it’s not like they have to shove it in our face.

Anyway, it’s awesome that WWE is finally getting nervous, hopefully they turn the ship around as well

#424 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

NXT was incredibly inclusive tonight and in most cases. You had Dream, Mia Yim, Bianca Belair, Io Shirai, Lio Rush, Street Prophets and a variety of other folks on the show. It did not feel like at typical Raw.
    Regarding AEW and the dumb stuff, I think that is going to sink or swim them. There is no doubt they have unbelievable talent. It is going to be curious as to if the very insider stuff plays well with a casual audience or not. It could be a generational thing as well. I am 42, so I grew up on WWF and Jim Crockett Promotions. I loved ECW, which had some schtick-yness to it, but for whatever reason the Elite stuff has not hit the mark with me. I will definitely try the show. Them having Arn and Tully on the show is a win in my book!
    I know that this is a bias, but I really like seeing the big guys who can go work. Brock, Walter, Keith Lee, Dijak, Brian Cage, Jeff Cobb, etc. Growing up, Sid Vicious was the man, even though he could not work. He had attitude and and an aura to him. Wrestling is more about skill now than at any other time but I still think a good big man is an attraction. Do you think AEW will try to get any big guys or if that will even matter to them?

Typically WWE is the “big man’s territory” - everybody knows how much Vince loves pushing the big guys. I get the feeling AEW will cater more to the smaller wrestlers who probably won’t be pushed in WWE (ironically, the 205 live type). But if they DO get some big men (bigger than Luchasaurus i guess), it would be highly noticeable.

Also consider this: fairly soon there will be a larger number of wrestlers from Impact whose contracts will be up..

#425 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Really liked Cameron Grimes, Walter, Lio, and my favorite Pete Dunne.
    Probably the only wrestling show I’ll be watching (cancelled cable).
    Anyone know how long it will take to be on network after airing.[quoted image]

LOL I never saw this. Was that a shoot punch?

#427 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I wish.
    Think it was a surprise Raw opponent for Enzo.[quoted image]

Damn. Well, there’s always Joey Janela

#431 4 years ago

Best mic botches of all time.

LOL

"I have half the brain that you do!"

"... no, it's live, pal!"

1 week later
    #433 4 years ago

I was there! That was A KILLER show. I have never been to a live show - wrestling, music, the circus - where the energy was THAT high the whole time. The only time the crowd was even a little dead was during PAC vs Page. That match just didn't connect with the crowd. PAC would get massive heat, and then Page just didn't seem to know what to do with it. He didn't get babyface heat, he didn't launch a comeback, he didn't get the underdog vibe going... it was just dead. Really underscores how important and difficult the storytelling is.

They also ran 3 dark matches after the show - we stayed for the first, which was an 8 man tag with the Lucha Bros. and those neon green assholes (my son called them the "birthday boys!" which we laughed about the whole ride home) vs the Best Friends and House Party. This was like one of those crazy spot matches that the AEW PPVs were filled with, and which they had almost NONE of during the episode. that was a great start, and I am super happy to see that Jericho's got a stable behind him - haven't seen that in forever. Also, Jack Swagger was quite goodwhen he busted in. He's loosened up, and I dont know WTF his character is, but he's some explaining to do...

1 week later
    #447 4 years ago

DAMN. I didn’t watch NXT but online polling says they blew it away. Can’t believe the Bucks lost! That legit shocked me. Love what they are doing with Mox in that he wouldn’t attack Kenny on the ground. That will eventually lead to a great face turn. Let him sell some shirts!

Jericho continues to teach a master class. I know some people are down on him as a self-promoter, and he does marvel a bit that he’s able to do Fozzy and AEW still, but it’s because he’s busting his ass. He’s loving every second and he works harder than any dude I know. (Except me, haha)

#449 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yeah that was a hell of a tag match to open the show, great false finishes before the big upset. The chaos to end the show, the MJF turn teases, man they are making me excited to be a wrestling fan again. I also enjoyed their AEW Dark show on Youtube as well as the NWA Power show. Also credit to the Darby skateboard ramp attack, that is something I've certainly never seen before.

We watch AEW Dark yesterday too, which I thought is a novel idea to maximize all their matches - and I definitely enjoyed the Jurassic Express fiasco (who the hell is that tiny guy?!?). It’s alwyas good to see the Fallen Angel. And I’m a huge Schiavone mark so every time I hear his voice it’s like “ding! Wrestling time!” I’m not sold on Darby Allin though.. not sure what it is but he seems a little too much of a spaz. Definitely belonged on the dark show. Maybe he just had an off night though, I’m not that familiar with him

#454 4 years ago

I thought I wouldn't mind anyone as much as Corbin. Awful personality and worker IMO. Then I saw Sammy Guevara. He can move, yeah, but I can't even stand to look at the guy with his teeth and tongue out all the time. He's like 12 years old and wears a panda. What the hell's going on?[quoted image]

Absolutely hate a lot of his stupid face mugging and WTF is up with the panda crap?? Then I remembered he is a heel.

#455 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

He is small and quick, and his movement in the ring is unique but I think he is quite talented. Definitely has a little of the "It" factor to me, his match with Cody at one of their shows over the summer was really good.
    I'm also with you hearing Schiavone and JR together makes it feel like wrestling. I listened to Tony's podcast yesterday about his return to commentary and it was cool to hear how much he missed it and appreciated being there, you could really hear it in his voice what it meant to him.

I listened to that WHW this morning - it really made me feel good to hear how appreciative he is. We should all be so grateful! I hate hate hate how shitty Conrad was to him on the early shows. I think they were trying to find a rhythm, but now that they have a better rapport it is so much better. I haven’t heard Arn’s Podcast (I predict that will be short lived) but the other ones are quite good. Bruce’s is far and away the best, by a mile

#458 4 years ago

Yeah but not all heels are "break the 4th wall" annoying. Geek Squad Jack Swagger isn't (unsure of his new gimmick).

LOL. You're right - it's not quite 100%, I only meant I think they are intentionally using some of that weird heat. I'm not sure I agree with that approach either. Let me say it like this: when he came out with the panda thing, I thought "that is one of the dumbest gimmicks I've ever seen" and was kind of going to write him off. But he was quite good in the ring - and THEN when he did that stupid ass face where he sticks out his tongue, I wanted to reach through the TV and punch him in the face. That's heat. Not sure it's 'good' heat. MJF, now he is a natural

#461 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

When MJF turns in the future the arena will erupt, hope it's at a show I can attend.

I do hope they stretch it out for a
    While - he's too good a heel to waste too quickly. And I can't think of another heel they have who's anywhere near him other than Jericho.

Add to that that MJF is able to sustain interest in his matches by himself, and doesn't need to be thrown into a feud with anybody - they are getting huge
    Mileage out of him

#465 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

He’s way more Rick Rude or Mr. Perfect with his mic work

This. Rick rude always comes to mind but maybe even Buddy Landel or Jesse Ventura/Superstar Billy Graham

#469 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Nice man! I’ll be watching on TV!

Same here - have fun! It was crazy in DC

#471 4 years ago
    Quoted from SpiffyRob:

Holy smokes what a fun night in Philly. It's amazing what a solid live show experience they're capable of delivering while they're still so new. The final dark match was bananas. After the match there were some additional shenanigans that probably won't make the show (I'm pretty sure they'd stopped taping) but the whole night was just incredible fan service. Highly recommend checking them out if they come to a town near you.

They are shooting all the dark matches for AEW Dark - did something happen after Dynamite finished but before the dark matches ?

3 weeks later
    #477 4 years ago

I want Punk in the ring too, but look at it as baby steps.
    It's not good right now. You'd think AEW would force them to raise their game, but it's getting stale. First Ep of SD was great, then not so much. I killed the network subscription after HIAC, it was so bad.
    I can't get into AEW yet. I've tried. But let's face it, aside from Jericho and Omega, there a some suck-the-air out of the room WWE cast offs. Spears and Hager aren't exciting no matter how you reinvent.

I agree that they need some work in the mid-card. The women’s division in particular is very disjointed - partly because they have talent from various backgrounds and styles, and I think a lot of the wrestlers come off green as grass. Even Britt Baker, she’s the big draw supposedly but man she is green.

I really don’t get Joey Janela either, but he appears to be (?) one of the top guys.

That said, Cody, Jericho, PAC, Mox, Lucha Broa are SO good that they do mostly carry the show. SCU is pretty good too but I don’t think quite at the level. I think daniels is an amazing wrestler but he still looks like a guy acting like the coolest dude in the world rather than BEING that guy, the way the top guys do.

Still, AEW is the only show I’m watching lately - raw and SD are dead to me, they just make no sense or retread the same sad old material week to week. I keep hearing NXT is nailing it though, so I’ve got to go check that out soon

#482 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

What, no life for Power?[quoted image]

I keep wanting to check out NWA Powerrr but there's just SO MUCH DAMN WRESTLING ON TV!

1 week later
    #487 4 years ago

What's everyone think of Punk on WWE Backstage?[quoted image]

His debut was weird IMO but the analysis part looks like it will be real interesting

1 month later
    #491 4 years ago

AEW is awful right now. It's like watching the Indies with random jobbers that never work together.

I’ve not caught AEW or NXT for a bit - why has the quality gone down so bad you think?

#496 4 years ago

Omega did some Q&A on Twitter. He's literally nothing in AEW compared to Japan. And it doesn't bother him. Part of the problem. Why sign big stars if you don't want them to be big stars? (See WWE with Shinsuke, Asuka)
    [quoted image]

I think this is a bit confusing too - but here's the flip side:

1) He's an exec / booker on the show, so a lot of time is spent on that
    2) he's in charge of either booking or training (ok yes, not a good look either way) the women's division
    3) more video game time!
    4) HUGE storyline opportunities for when he finally flips out and turns heel. that's the "Big star" Kenny

2 months later
    #501 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Wrestlemania in the Performance Center with no fans... wow.

is that official?

#503 4 years ago

holy crap. The MILLIONS!!!

...vince will be losing. Plus the XFL just shut down. Holy hell.

#507 4 years ago

Bastards still haven refunded $$$ for the cancelled MSG Show on 3/22.

Cancelled or rescheduled ? Most promoters know to reschedule instead of cancel - but MSG is notoriously difficult to negotiate with. Might be a minute to figure out what is happening.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rasslin-wwe-njpw-roh-etc?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.