20190605_124922 (resized).jpg
20190605_124856 (resized).jpg
20190605_124908 (resized).jpg
20190605_124844 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2019-05-19-11-43-39 (resized).png
20190516_133946 (resized).jpg
0413191603_HDR (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2019-05-01-19-17-56 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider murphdom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#80 4 years ago

I picked up a really beat up “1942” arcade cabinet a few months back. I gutted the thing completely and kept the marque because I wanted to keep the theme. At some point someone had painted over a poorly stenciled hand drawn logo that could be seen through the layers of paint. I had to clamp and glue the bottom layers of plywood of the machine back together as a result of moisture getting in there at some point. Since the layers had separated and the machine had been moved around several times in a storage unit some small parts of those layers had broken off. A few coats of Bondo and some light sanding and I was back up and running.

Where 1942 is only a one player game I had to build a new control panel that would fit in the space that I had. I didn’t really want to overly modify the cabinet. I got lucky and found that someone had made control panels on eBay and it coincidentally fit perfect. I figured by the time I bought the materials and all my time it was worth the $60 just to buy one. The cabinet itself was dirt cheap anyway. I sprayed a few coats of paint over the next week or so when I had free time.

I hit a wall when I injured my hand and severed tendons in my middle and index finger on my dominant hand at work. So now here I am back in business two months later still not completely healed but I can’t sit around anymore.

My next step I want to do is add some webbing to break up the solid color. This should be an interesting experience since I have never done this before. I will add some pictures of my entire process when I get a chance. After the webbing I am going to apply these really nice decals I ordered from this guy who seems to be the only one who has a decent 1942 logo for the side of a machine which was in Madrid. That was an experience in itself. I had to join a Spanish arcade forum to get them and I don’t know Spanish.

I’m excited to be so close but I’m also very interested to see how many games actually work on the SD card I bought. There is allegedly over 100,000 games on it. So there will be lots of trash to sort through. My plan is to plug all the components into a surge protector inside the cabinet and then splice the surge protector into a female end of a power supply connector to the outside of the cabinet (tutorials available on YouTube). It will allow me to have a removable cord on the outside of the cabinet which will be nice. The surge protector I am using is designed so that when one component is turned off everything else turns off along with it. If anyone has any better ideas let me know. Thanks.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from fissionch1ps:

I’ve found making a cab with thousands of games is overwhelming and ends up boring most folks. If I had a 1942 cab and a nice vertical screen I’d make it a dedicated SHMUPs machine. Something to consider.
Also these work good for plug ins:
SMAKN® Inlet Module Plug Fuse Switch Male Power Socket 10A 250V 3 Pin IEC320 C14 amazon.com link »

That is the power socket I was referring to. I couldn't remember the name of it. I cut the end of the surge protector off and spliced it onto the end. I haven't decided how I am going to power the Pi off yet. I was thinking of using a Pi squid button. It would be added to the control panel. It would make it super easy and would safely shut everything off and it wouldn’t corrupt the SD card. There was also the option of just opening the coin door and turning off one the components such as the marque which would just shut everything else off but then I risk corrupting the card. The SD card is definitively going to be overwhelming at first but I think it will be relatively easy to weed out a lot of games very quickly. I’m using an LCD monitor so there will be no burn in.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider murphdom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/raspberry-pi-arcade?tu=murphdom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.