20190605_124922 (resized).jpg
20190605_124856 (resized).jpg
20190605_124908 (resized).jpg
20190605_124844 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2019-05-19-11-43-39 (resized).png
20190516_133946 (resized).jpg
0413191603_HDR (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2019-05-01-19-17-56 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I am a newb when it comes to raspberry pi, and I need help. Here's what im looking for:

I already have a fully working arcade machine with a led screen. I would like to install a raspberry pi in it to save space in my game room. I like arcade games and nintendo games mostly, but the more games the merrier. I need something that can play a lot of games, works with my led screen, and can hopefully use my current joystick and buttons.

What do i need to buy, and where can I get it?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I run Retropie with an RGB monitor. I play console games, not arcade games. But MAME is available for arcade games. You would need some kind of compatible HID USB controller for your joystick and buttons.

Any idea of what i would need or where i could get it?

#7 4 years ago

Are class 10 micro sd cards or class 4 msd cards better?

Is there any value to getting a micro sd card bigger than 32gb?

#9 4 years ago

I already have the complete cabinet, led screen, and accessories, so I got some hardware.

-Raspberry pi 3b+
-Class 10 64gb sandisk micro sd card
-Arcade Joystick and button kit for Raspberry pi 3

I have heard that arcade punks and retro pie are the way to go. Any suggestions?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I did a conversion last week with an arcade1up SF2 cab. Used the the ETA Prime instructions. Thought the most nerve wracking part would be drilling holes in the control panel, but just understanding the setup properly and finding ROMs and putting them where they should be to get it to work. Also had the wrong amp but found an RCA to 1.5mm jack converter in my 25 year old drawer of "possibly useful extra cables" so it all worked out.
Still can't get MAME to work, though. You'll no doubt watch 8 other vids because you'll encounter problems. Finding the right vids is tricky.

Did you use retro pie?

#13 4 years ago

I received my ras pi 3b+, class 10 64gb micro sd card, and 2 sets of joysticks with buttons and connections.
I downloaded playable roms from arcadepunks.com

Along with a fully working cab and monitor, I am hoping I can just plug and play.
I will keep it updated.

#14 4 years ago

I already have an arcade in which I am putting the ras pi in. My hope is to plug n play the ras pi with the joysticks and buttons I ordered, and use the current speaker system (which is very nice). I will also put on side art, a marquee, and a bezel.
I have cleaned the arcade inside and out and installed the buttons.

I hit a couple of snags, however. I need a specific light for behind the marquee. I also need a dvi adapter because the monitor has a 15 pin...so i need to adapt it for hdmi.
I have joysticks that dont line up with current screws, so i need to adapt that as well.

I will keep this thread up as a tutorial.
Of course, if anyone has advice, please chime in.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Make sure you install joysticks in the same direction.

Do you know how to set it up to accept 2 joysticks, or does it already do that?
I have recal box

#20 4 years ago

Thanks for the help! I will report back

#22 4 years ago

I tried to run everything, but my monitor says there is no signal.
My monitor and ras pi are getting power, and my connections are good.

Did I download the software incorrectly??

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I tried to run everything, but my monitor says there is no signal.
My monitor and ras pi are getting power, and my connections are good.
Did I download the software incorrectly??

Anyone?

It seems from what i read that maybe it isnt detecting the hdmi input and i need to force it to use the hdmi. Any info is appreciated.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Try a different amicable, or reverse the ends. Some cables are direction specific.

It is a vga to hdmi connection.

#27 4 years ago

Maybe someone could tell me the steps to uploading on the sd card?

Im not sure if thats the issue, but it seems like a good place to start.

1 week later
#28 4 years ago

Update:
I broke down and bought a preloaded card...which is still not working. My next step is to buy a 2.5 amp plug in. I am awaiting one in the mail. Hopefully that solves my issue. I have read that a lot of plug-ins dont have enough amperage.

In the meantime, I still need to finish getting the joysticks installed. I will also doublecheck the measurements for the marquee, bezel, and side art (all of which i have chosen the design, but i just need the correct size for ordering all at the same time)

#29 4 years ago

Here is how it looks currently:

20190516_133946 (resized).jpg20190516_133946 (resized).jpg
#30 4 years ago

I have measured the marquee, bezel, and side cab for art. I ordered through a custom designer on ebay (since there are tons of possible sizes, I feel it is best to have them made custom to order)

We are Mario fans, so I got matching mario multicade arcade art (pic below)

Screenshot_2019-05-19-11-43-39 (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-05-19-11-43-39 (resized).png
#32 4 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Honestly this is where I'd start troubleshooting first. Try hooking your set-up to a different display via HDMI only and troubleshoot from there.

I got the higher amp plug in and tried it...no go. It is time to try another monitor apparently.

#33 4 years ago

Update:

I am getting close. I plugged it all in to a tv via hdmi cord. Boom! It started configuring!
Since I basically got everything else new, it is obvious the monitor/connection is the problem.
I am looking for a monitor on ebay/craiglist...but I may just get a new one and save myself the trouble.

This creates a new problem for me, however. My current monitor (the one that doesn't work with the ras pi) has 4 screw holes in the back that allow it to easily be mounted. It appears that some monitors have these and some don't. Im not sure if that is to attach a base or if it is for attaching it to the wall.

How do i know which ones have the screw holes? I don't see that info on boxes or listings i have seen.

On the bright side, my custom side art, marquee, and bezel should all be here in the next day or two.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I believe that is called a "vesa" mount. I'll have to check, but basically, yes, that is so you can mount to the wall.
I just used a 32" tv for mine. Sounds as though if you are not going the "pro look" route, you could easily get away with a cheap tv. Opinions vary, or course.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The screw holes can be used for either a wall mount or a stand. It’s a standard agreed upon by the “Video electronics Standards Association”, and pretty much any mount you buy now will support those holes in one way or another. Didn’t always used to be like that - you had to pay more for VESA compatible stiff

Y'all are awesome. I will check it out.

I already have the mounting (from the non-working monitor), so i now need to get a 19 inch monitor or tv with hdmi input that is VESA compatible.

1 week later
#37 4 years ago

I received the custom side art, marquee, and bezel. I have a TV that works now, but due to the cord attachment location...it has presented yet another issue: mounting the screen. I am in the middle of seeking out options.

If I were to re-do it, i would've started with the screen and gone from there. Unfortunately, I thought my original screen was good to go. It wasn't.

At any rate, I am getting closer.

If anyone has ideas on mounting the led tv inside the cabinet...please let me know.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Give us a few pics and/or a sketch of what you're working with.

I originally had the sheet metal piece, but the hdmi plug in and power plug in do not have holes to go through. I have steel cutting scissors, but the metal is too thick.

I also bought 2 of the vesa metal wall strips...but they aren't flat...so that presents a whole new problem.

20190605_124844 (resized).jpg20190605_124844 (resized).jpg20190605_124856 (resized).jpg20190605_124856 (resized).jpg20190605_124908 (resized).jpg20190605_124908 (resized).jpg20190605_124922 (resized).jpg20190605_124922 (resized).jpg
#40 4 years ago

It seems that my current options are to either somehow buy a new tool and cut holes into the metal sheet or find a tool to cut or bend the metal bars to where they are flat.

Or...if anyone knows of a flat vesa attachment, that would work.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Could you use something like this?[quoted image]

That looks like what i need. Could you tell me the name of it or where to get it?

2 weeks later
#46 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Could you use something like this?[quoted image]

These did not work. They require a specific size of hole, and those are too big.

Creating a wooden mount has been suggested, but i would prefer to try something metal first. I bought a couple of metal bracjets that are perfect, but they need sone metal trimmed off...which has been troublesome.

I have a flat metal piece that I pictured earlier in the thread which would work perfectly...but again, would need metal trimmed to fit the plug-ins.

I bought metal snips, but the metal is too thick, so i have been using bolt cutters (which are not nearly as precise).
I may just heat it with a soldering iron or a blowtorch and proceed to cut it from there.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

These did not work. They require a specific size of hole, and those are too big.
Creating a wooden mount has been suggested, but i would prefer to try something metal first. I bought a couple of metal brackets that are perfect, but they need some metal trimmed off...which has been troublesome.
I have a flat metal piece that I pictured earlier in the thread which would work perfectly...but again, would need metal trimmed to fit the plug-ins.
I bought metal snips, but the metal is too thick, so i have been using bolt cutters (which are not nearly as precise).
I may just heat it with a soldering iron or a blowtorch and proceed to cut it from there.

#48 4 years ago

I bought some stronger metal snips (these are basically scissors for metal), and I was finally able to cut holes for the hdmi and power cords. I was then able to mount the TV.

My next step is to finish the blackout trim around the TV.

20190623_112230 (resized).jpg20190623_112230 (resized).jpg
#59 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You’re all good then. The Raspberry Pi 4 just came out - it doesn’t really change things as far as what you can run on it, but it’s WAY faster to boot. I have a 3B+ in our multicade which is totally fine. Way better ( IMO ) than a pc. Less to swap out/diagnose if there’s a failure, no noise/fans/ boots fast, etc.

Any idea if the raspberry pi 4 is compatible with many 3b+ accessories?

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from fuzz:

great thread
I have a cocktail mame that I bought years ago that finally died
(computer hard drive crashed)
Ended up replacing with a retro pie set up
bought a prebuilt image. i do not recommend. it looked great but is full of bugs.
I ended up having a retro pie camp with my kid and we started and learned from scratch.
up and running for the most part.
we have controller issues whenever we use FB alpha. 2nd player does not work. gone through tons of forums.
Ive remapped the keys and buttons but still no luck
the interface is a old Ipac board, Im wondering if I should go the zero delay route???

Zero delay makes sense.
I have to ask...which raspberry pi version are you using?

#62 4 years ago

Current progress:

I am about to set up the joysticks. They were different sizes than the preset holes in the control panel, so i had to improvise with sone wood panels to fit them into.

20190627_120948 (resized).jpg20190627_120948 (resized).jpg20190627_120953 (resized).jpg20190627_120953 (resized).jpg
#64 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Looking good!

Thank you!

After putting the screen in, it looks like I need to set it higher...but I am making progess (slowly, lol)

1 week later
#69 4 years ago

After a few bumps in the road, I have my raspberry pi arcade up and running. My only issue seems to be that i have trouble starting some games. This probably has to do with my button configuration somehow.

I have two joysticks with 3 buttons each (configured as buttons A, B, and X respectively).
There are 2 buttons at the top which are configured as start and select.

Any suggestions on starting these games?

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from camcamaro1991:

which games?
From my own experience MAME's can be a handful, esp the light gun games using raspberry pie

I just barely got into it, but wacko and mario time machine wouldnt allow me to start. They both just played the opening cut scenes.

I will have to do some more exploring.

#73 4 years ago

what do you have your graphics memory set to?
also this guy has awesome how to video's you'll need to search he works on other platforms.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Mretaprime

I will check out the graphics memory. I am not sure what it is set to.

1 week later
#74 4 years ago

My games are coming up on the ras pi, but i cant start some of them. I have looked up some trouble shooting ideas, but if anyone can help lead me to fixing it...i would be appreciative.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Which games in particular?
Are they all from a specific company (ex:Atari)?

I agree with RonSS, there are so many emulaters and games we need more info.
I have no issues outside of some MAME and few games here and there.

There is no rhyme or reason. Some work and some won't unfortunately. Different systems.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/raspberry-pi-arcade?tu=daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.