New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 241287)

Raspberry pi arcade

By Daditude

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by fissionch1ps
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190627_120953 (resized).jpg
20190627_120948 (resized).jpg
20190623_112230 (resized).jpg
crown-bolt-bar-flats-tubes-rods-802067-64_1000 (resized).jpg
20190605_124922 (resized).jpg
20190605_124856 (resized).jpg
20190605_124908 (resized).jpg
20190605_124844 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2019-05-19-11-43-39 (resized).png
20190516_133946 (resized).jpg
0413191603_HDR (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2019-05-01-19-17-56 (resized).png

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#52 1 year ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Is anyone using an x-arcade joystick with there raspberry pi / retropie setup?

I have for testing purposes.

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I have for testing purposes.

Did retropie recognize it, and both joysticks/buttons work?

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Did retropie recognize it, and both joysticks/buttons work?

I hooked one up. all buttons and joysticks work. The trackball does not work with MAME. Search YouTube for videos on how to set up the X-Arcade. You need to treat it as 2 separate controllers.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from MRG:

I hooked one up. all buttons and joysticks work. The trackball does not work with MAME. Search YouTube for videos on how to set up the X-Arcade. You need to treat it as 2 separate controllers.

Cool - thanks guys!

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Is anyone using an x-arcade joystick with there raspberry pi / retropie setup?

I did this for a bit, but they aren’t really a standard size, so it was hard to fit in the cabinet. Eventually I just went to a couple Arcade 1-ups since the single cabinet we had was way too big for our space

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I did this for a bit, but they aren’t really a standard size, so it was hard to fit in the cabinet. Eventually I just went to a couple Arcade 1-ups since the single cabinet we had was way too big for our space

I all ready have a cabinet with a xarcade (no trackball) setup with a pc running mame. I wanna goto the raspberry pie and get rid of the pc.....

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

I all ready have a cabinet with a xarcade (no trackball) setup with a pc running mame. I wanna goto the raspberry pie and get rid of the pc.....

You’re all good then. The Raspberry Pi 4 just came out - it doesn’t really change things as far as what you can run on it, but it’s WAY faster to boot. I have a 3B+ in our multicade which is totally fine. Way better ( IMO ) than a pc. Less to swap out/diagnose if there’s a failure, no noise/fans/ boots fast, etc.

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You’re all good then. The Raspberry Pi 4 just came out - it doesn’t really change things as far as what you can run on it, but it’s WAY faster to boot. I have a 3B+ in our multicade which is totally fine. Way better ( IMO ) than a pc. Less to swap out/diagnose if there’s a failure, no noise/fans/ boots fast, etc.

Any idea if the raspberry pi 4 is compatible with many 3b+ accessories?

#60 1 year ago

great thread
I have a cocktail mame that I bought years ago that finally died
(computer hard drive crashed)
Ended up replacing with a retro pie set up
bought a prebuilt image. i do not recommend. it looked great but is full of bugs.
I ended up having a retro pie camp with my kid and we started and learned from scratch.
up and running for the most part.
we have controller issues whenever we use FB alpha. 2nd player does not work. gone through tons of forums.
Ive remapped the keys and buttons but still no luck
the interface is a old Ipac board, Im wondering if I should go the zero delay route???

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from fuzz:

great thread
I have a cocktail mame that I bought years ago that finally died
(computer hard drive crashed)
Ended up replacing with a retro pie set up
bought a prebuilt image. i do not recommend. it looked great but is full of bugs.
I ended up having a retro pie camp with my kid and we started and learned from scratch.
up and running for the most part.
we have controller issues whenever we use FB alpha. 2nd player does not work. gone through tons of forums.
Ive remapped the keys and buttons but still no luck
the interface is a old Ipac board, Im wondering if I should go the zero delay route???

Zero delay makes sense.
I have to ask...which raspberry pi version are you using?

#62 1 year ago

Current progress:

I am about to set up the joysticks. They were different sizes than the preset holes in the control panel, so i had to improvise with sone wood panels to fit them into.

20190627_120948 (resized).jpg20190627_120953 (resized).jpg
#63 1 year ago

Looking good!

#64 1 year ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Looking good!

Thank you!

After putting the screen in, it looks like I need to set it higher...but I am making progess (slowly, lol)

#65 1 year ago

Yeah any idea on how the Raspberry Pi4 will change multi-cades if at all?

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Any idea if the raspberry pi 4 is compatible with many 3b+ accessories?

Cases, no- the board profile is different. Power yes but the 4 needs a solid power supply, but I forget how much amperage

Also the 4 has 2 mini HDMI port not just 1 regular one, which is very different. The hdmi adapter used for the Pi Zero will work

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

Yeah any idea on how the Raspberry Pi4 will change multi-cades if at all?

Not much really - the Retropie image that works with the 4 still uses the Same set of ROMs.

#68 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Zero delay makes sense.
I have to ask...which raspberry pi version are you using?

raspberry pi 3+

1 week later
#69 1 year ago

After a few bumps in the road, I have my raspberry pi arcade up and running. My only issue seems to be that i have trouble starting some games. This probably has to do with my button configuration somehow.

I have two joysticks with 3 buttons each (configured as buttons A, B, and X respectively).
There are 2 buttons at the top which are configured as start and select.

Any suggestions on starting these games?

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

After a few bumps in the road, I have my raspberry pi arcade up and running. My only issue seems to be that i have trouble starting some games. This probably has to do with my button configuration somehow.
I have two joysticks with 3 buttons each (configured as buttons A, B, and X respectively).
There are 2 buttons at the top which are configured as start and select.
Any suggestions on starting these games?

which games?

From my own experience MAME's can be a handful, esp the light gun games using raspberry pie

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from camcamaro1991:

which games?
From my own experience MAME's can be a handful, esp the light gun games using raspberry pie

I just barely got into it, but wacko and mario time machine wouldnt allow me to start. They both just played the opening cut scenes.

I will have to do some more exploring.

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I just barely got into it, but wacko and mario time machine wouldnt allow me to start. They both just played the opening cut scenes.
I will have to do some more exploring.

what do you have your graphics memory set to?

also this guy has awesome how to video's you'll need to search he works on other platforms.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Mretaprime

#73 1 year ago

what do you have your graphics memory set to?
also this guy has awesome how to video's you'll need to search he works on other platforms.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Mretaprime

I will check out the graphics memory. I am not sure what it is set to.

1 week later
#74 1 year ago

My games are coming up on the ras pi, but i cant start some of them. I have looked up some trouble shooting ideas, but if anyone can help lead me to fixing it...i would be appreciative.

#75 1 year ago

Which games in particular?

Are they all from a specific company (ex:Atari)?

#76 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

My games are coming up on the ras pi, but i cant start some of them. I have looked up some trouble shooting ideas, but if anyone can help lead me to fixing it...i would be appreciative.

I agree with RonSS, there are so many emulaters and games we need more info.

I have no issues outside of some MAME and few games here and there.

#77 1 year ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Which games in particular?
Are they all from a specific company (ex:Atari)?

I agree with RonSS, there are so many emulaters and games we need more info.
I have no issues outside of some MAME and few games here and there.

There is no rhyme or reason. Some work and some won't unfortunately. Different systems.

#78 1 year ago

OK, well, how about a top 10 list?

Give us something. I'm wondering if the control buttons are different for the games you are trying to start.

My other thought is that the Pie simply won't play certain games. Mine won't play Blood Brothers, but will play a similar Pirate game.

Also, maybe check the roms. You could try reloading the games giving you issues.

Glad to hear you are sort of up and running though.

2 weeks later
#79 1 year ago

following

3 weeks later
#80 1 year ago

I picked up a really beat up “1942” arcade cabinet a few months back. I gutted the thing completely and kept the marque because I wanted to keep the theme. At some point someone had painted over a poorly stenciled hand drawn logo that could be seen through the layers of paint. I had to clamp and glue the bottom layers of plywood of the machine back together as a result of moisture getting in there at some point. Since the layers had separated and the machine had been moved around several times in a storage unit some small parts of those layers had broken off. A few coats of Bondo and some light sanding and I was back up and running.

Where 1942 is only a one player game I had to build a new control panel that would fit in the space that I had. I didn’t really want to overly modify the cabinet. I got lucky and found that someone had made control panels on eBay and it coincidentally fit perfect. I figured by the time I bought the materials and all my time it was worth the $60 just to buy one. The cabinet itself was dirt cheap anyway. I sprayed a few coats of paint over the next week or so when I had free time.

I hit a wall when I injured my hand and severed tendons in my middle and index finger on my dominant hand at work. So now here I am back in business two months later still not completely healed but I can’t sit around anymore.

My next step I want to do is add some webbing to break up the solid color. This should be an interesting experience since I have never done this before. I will add some pictures of my entire process when I get a chance. After the webbing I am going to apply these really nice decals I ordered from this guy who seems to be the only one who has a decent 1942 logo for the side of a machine which was in Madrid. That was an experience in itself. I had to join a Spanish arcade forum to get them and I don’t know Spanish.

I’m excited to be so close but I’m also very interested to see how many games actually work on the SD card I bought. There is allegedly over 100,000 games on it. So there will be lots of trash to sort through. My plan is to plug all the components into a surge protector inside the cabinet and then splice the surge protector into a female end of a power supply connector to the outside of the cabinet (tutorials available on YouTube). It will allow me to have a removable cord on the outside of the cabinet which will be nice. The surge protector I am using is designed so that when one component is turned off everything else turns off along with it. If anyone has any better ideas let me know. Thanks.

#81 1 year ago

A few things to think about if you haven't already (sounds as if you probably know though):

You obviously don't need 100,000 games, so I'd start by making a smaller "folder" with about 20 games you really want, that use a similar controller pattern. That being said, it's always super cool to have "whatever" you want to play at your fingertips! It goes without saying you should create an image of your card when you get it, just in case things get wacky.

I installed a small fan inside my cab. The RaspPi doesn't get too hot I don't think, but I figured I'd be leaving it on a lot, so why not invest another $5? I placed a small switch under the cab for the fan and had my surge react to it so the entire unit, sans Pi, would activate when that switch was toggled. Guess what, didn't work. Too little draw I guess? So maybe test your surge before installing everything.

Also, will you be shutting the Pi down too? My program has a screen saver, which is pretty nice, so it helps when guests/kids are over and they just walk away. Trying to avoid burn in, especially if you are using a CRT. If you are shutting down will you be using the sleep command, or just killing it every time?

Glad your CP worked out, that's awesome! And lucky

#82 1 year ago

I’ve found making a cab with thousands of games is overwhelming and ends up boring most folks. If I had a 1942 cab and a nice vertical screen I’d make it a dedicated SHMUPs machine. Something to consider.

Also these work good for plug ins:

SMAKN® Inlet Module Plug Fuse Switch Male Power Socket 10A 250V 3 Pin IEC320 C14 amazon.com link »

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from fissionch1ps:

I’ve found making a cab with thousands of games is overwhelming and ends up boring most folks. If I had a 1942 cab and a nice vertical screen I’d make it a dedicated SHMUPs machine. Something to consider.
Also these work good for plug ins:
SMAKN® Inlet Module Plug Fuse Switch Male Power Socket 10A 250V 3 Pin IEC320 C14 amazon.com link »

That is the power socket I was referring to. I couldn't remember the name of it. I cut the end of the surge protector off and spliced it onto the end. I haven't decided how I am going to power the Pi off yet. I was thinking of using a Pi squid button. It would be added to the control panel. It would make it super easy and would safely shut everything off and it wouldn’t corrupt the SD card. There was also the option of just opening the coin door and turning off one the components such as the marque which would just shut everything else off but then I risk corrupting the card. The SD card is definitively going to be overwhelming at first but I think it will be relatively easy to weed out a lot of games very quickly. I’m using an LCD monitor so there will be no burn in.

#84 1 year ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

That is the power socket I was referring to. I couldn't remember the name of it. I cut the end of the surge protector off and spliced it onto the end. I haven't decided how I am going to power the Pi off yet. I was thinking of using a Pi squid button. It would be added to the control panel. It would make it super easy and would safely shut everything off and it wouldn’t corrupt the SD card. There was also the option of just opening the coin door and turning off one the components such as the marque which would just shut everything else off but then I risk corrupting the card. The SD card is definitively going to be overwhelming at first but I think it will be relatively easy to weed out a lot of games very quickly. I’m using an LCD monitor so there will be no burn in.

I just have the pi in mine turn on with power. For shutdown, I power the pi down in the emulationstation menu and then flip the power switch off when it’s safely shutdown. 2 years running and no issues.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 7,699.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 9.90
Playfields
The Super Fasteners
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside