DGUNL-3222-Micro-Player_PK1_480x480 (resized).png
336f6ae4ed39c3e3e9b3f2a03c3bc0c69ca77038 (resized).jpg
white galaga 4 (resized).jpg
White Galaga 2 (resized).jpg
White galaga (resized).jpg
white galaga 5 (resized).jpg
White galaga 3 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Picking up a pretty rare WHITE galaga upright shortly, and want to know what you guys think it's worth? It is a verified HUO, one owner game. Pictures show a little wear on the side decal edges, but overall it seems pretty nice. All original, figure it will at least need a full monitor rebuild. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

White Galaga 2 (resized).jpgWhite Galaga 2 (resized).jpgWhite galaga (resized).jpgWhite galaga (resized).jpgWhite galaga 3 (resized).jpgWhite galaga 3 (resized).jpgwhite galaga 4 (resized).jpgwhite galaga 4 (resized).jpgwhite galaga 5 (resized).jpgwhite galaga 5 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

I have never seen a white Galaga and I would be very skeptical of its original status. If anything, the white devalues the game. I would not spend over $350 and would prefer the original black over this.

#3 5 years ago

Looks like a Galaxian conversion.

#4 5 years ago

The white sides look like galaxian , however the front panel ( Kickplate ) is factory white, not black. Looks like a hybrid of sorts.

#5 5 years ago

Is this like those "rare" black and white congo cabs that are worth less the the standard color ones?
They were just leftovers thrown together.

#6 5 years ago

This is a Bosconian cabinet. Some of them were converted to Galaga at the factory as Bosconians didn't sell very well. I am not sure if this is a factory conversion or done after the fact. I am skeptical about it being HUO because the control panel overlay has been either cut back to hide the edge wear or replaced with a non-original one and the kick panel artwork has been trimmed back on the top corners - not sure why.

These typically don't sell for any more $$ than a normal Galaga. If it needs a monitor rebuild, I'd say $500 tops.

#7 5 years ago

Correct, Bosconian. I think they look nice, but not aware of them demanding much more value than the typical black. Haven't seen much comment regarding this on KLOV, but if you're on KLOV, there's a price check section, and I bet you'd get a response pretty quickly. Good luck.

#8 5 years ago

kinda scuffed up for HUO.

About half the pinball games I buy are "HUO."

I really think most owners aren't lying, they just don't know better. Their dad brought home a game for Christmas 20 years ago and it was "brand new."

#9 5 years ago

One more vote on Bosconian conversion. I converted a few back in the arcade heyday. No idea on value.

#10 5 years ago

Thanks for the input, I'll post on Klov shortly as well. I have done some research and yes the first Galaga cabs were leftover Bosconian cabs due to poor sales. They slapped galaga art right on top and changed the monitor to vertical. This caused the need for a special molded plastic back to the cabinet. The story about it being HUO since new appears legit. I spoke to the owners wife. Husband was affluent, had several kids, bought from distributor directly before they were in arcades....makes sense that this is an early production version. Kids grew up, mom dad got divorced. Mom put it in storage. Where pics were taken, and currently resides.

#11 5 years ago

No way in hell that is HUO, look at the coin returns. I also concur that this is an early Galaga in the leftover Bosconian cabinet.

#12 5 years ago

Check the plays on the coin counter inside the coin door. If it truly is HUO, it will be extremely low.

Either way, get the game and sell me the PCB...I need a working one for my dedicated cab.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Vinnypin:

bought from distributor directly before they were in arcades

That is highly unlikely. Distributors back then wouldn't screw ops over by selling direct to a non operator. Especially before they hit the streets. Arcades or other locations.

LTG : )

#14 5 years ago

Cracked edge of control panel has been covered too.

Really looks routed. Bought near the end of it's career, probably when the video fad flopped.

336f6ae4ed39c3e3e9b3f2a03c3bc0c69ca77038 (resized).jpg336f6ae4ed39c3e3e9b3f2a03c3bc0c69ca77038 (resized).jpg
#15 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Cracked edge of control panel has been covered too.
Really looks routed.

I think it was cut on a line with a razor blade when it started cracking. I've seen that a lot. That fire button is the wrong color too. Doubtful they would have replaced that on a home use only game.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I think it was cut on a line with a razor blade when it started cracking. I've seen that a lot. That fire button is the wrong color too. Doubtful they would have replaced that on a home use only game.

Quoted from LTG:

That is highly unlikely. Distributors back then wouldn't screw ops over by selling direct to a non operator. Especially before they hit the streets. Arcades or other locations.

I have sold over a dozen of these, No way this is HUO. Even if it was a HUO does not mean it has added value. I would take a great condition routed game any day than a beat up HUO.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

I would take a great condition routed game any day than a beat up HUO.

Absolutely. It always comes down to condition.

#18 5 years ago

Thanks again guys for all your input. I just wanted an idea of its value. I like to collect odd ball and one off items not necessarily because they hold pre value, but because they are rare and not often seen. I wont dispute or argue whether or not it is HUO or not. It certainly could be expected that a 35 year old game has some wear and tear and even a button changed out as well. Heck considering that these were retrofit in the first place would it be a complete stretch to think they used whatever color button was laying around for the conversion?

#19 5 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks Bosconian is a fun game? It doesn't seem very liked.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Am I the only one who thinks Bosconian is a fun game?

+1
I enjoy playing Bosconian too.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Vinnypin:

Thanks again guys for all your input. I just wanted an idea of its value. I like to collect odd ball and one off items not necessarily because they hold pre value, but because they are rare and not often seen. I wont dispute or argue whether or not it is HUO or not. It certainly could be expected that a 35 year old game has some wear and tear and even a button changed out as well. Heck considering that these were retrofit in the first place would it be a complete stretch to think they used whatever color button was laying around for the conversion?

Home use, arcade use, it doesn't matter much as long as the condition is what you want or need for it to be. This one is a nice enough looking game but its a ways from what people EXPECT when you tell them "Home Use Only" is what I'd say. Still, a CPO and a little massaging and that will be a nice looking mostly original white sided Galaga, and that's cool, right?

#22 5 years ago

I'm real curious about this - I have a "rare" white Galaxian

#23 5 years ago

such a great game....I have Galaga on my MAME unit, and it gets played all the time....

#24 5 years ago

I sold my galaga long ago but i do have a spare board and wire harness hah.

either way on value, congrats on having a great game added to your lineup!

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Vinnypin:

It's a complete stretch to think this thing is HUO.

Don't let the lure of being told it's HUO cloud your judgement.
There are so many things visually wrong. That it can't possibly be.

I've seen a bunch of white galaga. A lot probably shipped to Canada. Not really rare by any means. Just and oddball. I know of 3 within my local friends who collect arcades.
It's kind of like red DK cabs.

If it was really in HUO condition it is worth a bit more $. But...As it sits, if working.
$300-500. If the ser# plate is there and correct.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Am I the only one who thinks Bosconian is a fun game? It doesn't seem very liked.

Blast off!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

It's a complete stretch to think this thing is HUO.
Don't let the lure of being told it's HUO cloud your judgement.
There are so many things visually wrong. That it can't possibly be.
I've seen a bunch of white galaga. A lot probably shipped to Canada. Not really rare by any means. Just and oddball. I know of 3 within my local friends who collect arcades.
It's kind of like red DK cabs.
If it was really in HUO condition it is worth a bit more $. But...As it sits, if working.
$300-500. If the ser# plate is there and correct.

I know nobody really cares if it's HUO and "condition is king."

But come on there's no fn way that thing is HUO.

IT'S TORE UP. Looks like it was on location for years.

You simply cannot trust civilians when it comes to this shit. They ALL think their games are HUO. Trust your eyes, not their naive bullshit.

#28 5 years ago

$800-$1000 if it's clean enough and working with no screen burn

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Mmmmmm. Back in '80-'81 I worked for a large distributor whose name you would recognize and yes, they did sell direct to homes. Not locations!! But to a home, yeah. I made several deliveries and setups to people's basements. I will say they were usually a non-hit level game but there was a Pac-Man.....

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

kinda scuffed up for HUO.
About half the pinball games I buy are "HUO."
I really think most owners aren't lying, they just don't know better. Their dad brought home a game for Christmas 20 years ago and it was "brand new."

Agree with this statement! I seen a post by a new Pinsider claiming their machine was HUO but first thing I noticed was the front of the cab had the holes for a lock bar. I asked the seller about it being listed as HUO and their reply was .... "I wasn't sure what condition to list it as and I wasn't sure what HUO meant......"

Quoted from 64bsstp:

Mmmmmm. Back in '80-'81 I worked for a large distributor whose name you would recognize and yes, they did sell direct to homes. Not locations!! But to a home, yeah. I made several deliveries and setups to people's basements. I will say they were usually a non-hit level game but there was a Pac-Man.....

Yeah I know Betson (Pretty large dist.) sold to homes back in the day. Few years ago I bought a Flash and Captain Fantastic from a seller that provided me the receipts showing her father had bought the games new from Schaeffer (not sure of spelling is correct or not) Dist in Ohio.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Agree with this statement! I seen a post by a new Pinsider claiming their machine was HUO but first thing I noticed was the front of the cab had the holes for a lock bar. I asked the seller about it being listed as HUO and their reply was .... "I wasn't sure what condition to list it as and I wasn't sure what HUO meant......"

Just because it had holes drilled does not mean it was routed. WPC 95 games some came pre drilled and went to HUO for example and plenty of midway cabinets were pre drilled and went HUO to collectors.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Vinnypin:

It is a verified HUO, one owner game.

I don't think so.

Besides, it does not matter. It's just plain and simple. A good condition Galaga is only worth so much. A white Galaga will not help or hurt the value in any way. May be harder to keep clean though. Most buyers looking for the game would actually prefer the black one.

If you pay more than 1K for this example of the game, I would not expect to ever get any more than that back in the future.

I would not pay anywhere near what others are suggesting it is worth but I've been collecting arcade for over 15 years and I could make a few phone calls and buy one nicer than the one pictured for much less than a grand. To the average Joe, if it's working perfect and has a rebuilt monitor, I'd say that Galaga would bring $500-$600, possibly a bit more to the perfect buyer.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I like it.

I'd also say: check the board. Bosconian and Galaga were released in the US at about the same time and use the same basic hardware, but with one difference: Bosconian has an extra I/O to run the DAC used for speech, which only Bosconian used on that board type. I don't know if replacing program chips on boards to convert a low-selling game was commonplace in those days, but you should find definite signs of a conversion in this case if it was, and this is one of them.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I prefer Bosco over Galaga personally. Many fond memories of playing one at a Perry's drug store.

When I got into the arcade collecting in the late '80s, Bosconians I wouldn't say plentiful but definitely a game you would see for sale more often. Nowadays, you would be lucky to see a half dozen for sale in a year.

#35 5 years ago

We can only dream of getting a Galaga (in any condition) under $1K in Aus. You guys in the US have it made.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I don't think so.
Besides, it does not matter. It's just plain and simple. A good condition Galaga is only worth so much. A white Galaga will not help or hurt the value in any way. May be harder to keep clean though. Most buyers looking for the game would actually prefer the black one.
If you pay more than 1K for this example of the game, I would not expect to ever get any more than that back in the future.

The same can be said for pins, but idiots here pay too much because they have colored LEDs and toys stuck to them

#37 5 years ago

By the way, if anyone is interested in these, well worth the thirty-odd bucks. It runs the Famicom rom rather than the arcade one, but you don't really notice and it's the presentation you're mainly paying for. The Pac-Man one is really good too.

DGUNL-3222-Micro-Player_PK1_480x480 (resized).pngDGUNL-3222-Micro-Player_PK1_480x480 (resized).png
#38 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I know nobody really cares if it's HUO and "condition is king."
But come on there's no fn way that thing is HUO.
IT'S TORE UP. Looks like it was on location for years.
You simply cannot trust civilians when it comes to this shit. They ALL think their games are HUO. Trust your eyes, not their naive bullshit.

Levi, why are you always so angry?
I've been around the block as you know, or maybe you've forgotten. No worries man, and whether or not it truly is HUO, I think the story is real, and while the condition might not be 100% mint NEW IN BOX perfect, which is what everyone seems to think HUO means (It doesn't). I'm only paying what I believe it to be worth. I don't let anyone "sell" me a game based on a story, or some other B.S. I know pinball way better than I know video though, so I figured I'd post and see what the group thought of the value of the game based on what I know about it. I know the fire button is the wrong color, I can clearly see the T moulding at the bottom is lifted, the decals edges are peeling/chipped, the CPO has been cut along the front edge, I knew all that BEFORE I posted, and I have not been able to get together to see it in person to really look at it. But the coin door looks like it's in near mint condition, I'd expect that a routed game like GALAGA would be trashed... lots of wear on the sides where thousands of grimy hands held on. Lots of wear at the kick plate from frustrated players taking out their emotions on the game, etc. I don't see evidence of that here. Looks like very light usage, with some wear, enough that the HUO "story" seems more than plausible in this case. Does it make it worth more? Only in the sense that I feel the condition is MUCH better than a route rat. But if it was routed, then great. The condition is still what it is.. about an 8 out of 10 I'd say. I'll check it out when I can, and make a decision of it's value based on what I see, and what I know, as well as the opinions of those that have (angrily or not) posted here.
Thanks and don't forget your blood pressure meds Levi. I'd hate not seeing your posts anymore!

Vinny

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rare-white-huo-galaga-price-check?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.