(Topic ID: 185278)

Rare prototype Atari??? (Bally Solid State Prototype)

By whitey

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170414_142910 (resized).jpg
20170414_142902 (resized).jpg
20170414_142910 (resized).jpg
20170414_142922 (resized).jpg
Cordless-Drill-Full1 (resized).jpg
smudges (resized).jpg
20170331_095625 (resized).jpg
20170331_095609 (resized).jpg
20170331_095601 (resized).jpg
20170331_095635 (resized).jpg
20170331_095655 (resized).jpg
20170331_095733 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #23 Background info Posted by MrBally (7 years ago)

Post #24 Background info Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

#1 7 years ago

Bought this kick off years ago and never really got into it.I started looking deeper into it and found a board inside the game with Dave Nutting Association who I believe is the guy who invented pong ? Check these photos out and tell me what you think ? It actually plays ! A EM game completely turned into a solid state, I'm guessing Atari used it before building games in Santa Clara CA which is where I bought the game , Don't know if it's worth anything but definitely a part of pinball History

20170331_095733 (resized).jpg20170331_095733 (resized).jpg
20170331_095655 (resized).jpg20170331_095655 (resized).jpg
20170331_095635 (resized).jpg20170331_095635 (resized).jpg
20170331_095601 (resized).jpg20170331_095601 (resized).jpg
20170331_095609 (resized).jpg20170331_095609 (resized).jpg
20170331_095625 (resized).jpg20170331_095625 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Dude clean your camera lens, it's far grimier than that game!

#3 7 years ago

That's pretty wild and it probably is worth something. I can't believe it works!

Please post some pics or video of it in action.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Dude clean your camera lens, it's far grimier than that game!

What are you talking about ? Those are photos of actual game ? Pezpunk? You always bust my balls
What's your deal

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

What are you talking about ? Those are photos of actual game ? Pezpunk? You always bust my balls
What's your deal

Your camera lens has smudges all over it. It's a common problem with cameras on phones. Thats why the photos look a little burry and have a blooming effect. Wipe it off with a cotton cloth or tshirt, and that will take care of it.

#6 7 years ago

Looks like the displays are the same Futaba glass displays that gottlieb used.

#7 7 years ago

That is awesome, what a great find! I think it's funny how they just scraped off some paint on the backglass to get the displays to "fit" and then used some stickers for the 1-4 players.

Also, the lowest display shows "AM/PM" - must have taken it right out of a desktop clock, lol.

The boards below the playfield are really interesting, including a small board for each flipper assembly.

Such a cool find....

#8 7 years ago

According to IPDB, Kick Off was the last EM for Bally (which would make sense for the timing of the conversion):

"Notes: Last EM pinball machine by this manufacturer."

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1365&picno=35684

#9 7 years ago

The boards on the underside of the playfield kind of remind me of the boards that appear in bally non-commercial games. I wonder of this system/game was the precursor to that.

#10 7 years ago

I saw Dave Nutting Associates and was reminded of the first microprocessor controlled Bally they did the prototype work for. Very interesting story behind it.
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/5103/Bally_1974_Flicker_Article_FOUND_The_First_Microprocessor_Pinball_Machine.pdf

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

What's your deal

i apologize, man, i wasn't trying to be mean! i just meant your camera lens was so dirty it was doing a disservice to the game.

smudges (resized).jpgsmudges (resized).jpg

all of those circled smudges appear in every one of your pics in the same place, and the images are somewhat blurry and smeared because of the grime. no offense intended! the game looks amazing and i'm following the thread with interest.

#12 7 years ago

Maybe Jamie Fenton knows a bit more about it?

http://www.fentonia.com/bio/

#13 7 years ago

It's worth more than you think.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from mswhat:

I saw Dave Nutting Associates and was reminded of the first microprocessor controlled Bally they did the prototype work for. Very interesting story behind it.
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/5103/Bally_1974_Flicker_Article_FOUND_The_First_Microprocessor_Pinball_Machine.pdf

That's what I thought of too. The "Bally Brain". Do you have more pics of the MPU?

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

That's what I thought of too. The "Bally Brain". Do you have more pics of the MPU?

I will open up head and get photos

#16 7 years ago

Wow, what a great find. Thanks for sharing!

#17 7 years ago

Nice pick up Bud, can't wait for more pics

#18 7 years ago

Could of also been a conversion kit that was sold? Not sure if the shoddy backglass rework screams "prototype" or "operator conversion". Very very interesting regardless.

#19 7 years ago

Very curious about those flipper boards

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Very curious about those flipper boards

Literally thinking the same thing.

#21 7 years ago

Dan Nutting might help with some info on this game.
I imagine he can be found and would like to hear a bit about it.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Bought this kick off years ago and never really got into it.I started looking deeper into it and found a board inside the game with Dave Nutting Association who I believe is the guy who invented pong ? Check these photos out and tell me what you think ? It actually plays ! A EM game completely turned into a solid state, I'm guessing Atari used it before building games in Santa Clara CA which is where I bought the game , Don't know if it's worth anything but definitely a part of pinball History

Interesting.

Before starting Atari, Nolan Bushnell and Ted Dabney did Computer Space for Nutting, but Pong was strictly an Atari affair.

Early on, Atari had a contract to build a pinball machine for Bally (which never came to fruition) and Atari"s Cyan think tank did convert a Delta Queen to solid state as a feasibility study before Atari started their pinball division. This is something else though, and pretty cool.

#23 7 years ago

That's a Bally prototype SS machine. Before they settled on gas discharge displays and the Motorola 6800 Microprocessor. If the pinfixer.com website is up, there info about these rare pins.

#24 7 years ago

Mr. Bally beat me to the history.

This is a Bally 1976 Prototype SS conversion of the EM game Kick Off.
It is not tied to Atari, and the PCB boards were used from various sources at the dawn of the SS era, not exclusive to use pinball or video games or the future Atari patents. Nutting did board work in conjunction with multiple manufacturers of the period.

This is not an operator conversion either.

Unknown number created, but I doubt more than a couple at the factory, as they scrapped the conversion decision.
Essentially, it was competing against other games of the same period 1976-1978 periods of which games might be used for SS technology as test beds of creation.

I don't even know if David Judd Nutting wants to answer questions about his company or dealings with Bally.
The man is in his late 80s, and I doubt "he has a PinSide account".
Bally shut down Dave Nutting Associates in 1984 permanently out of the cross technology lawsuit, which if interested can be found as this was documented.

The game is valuable in its own for history, more so than even a collector.
However, if 100% functional (including its UNIQUE displays), worth about 4X above basic EM value which would make it sit around $1800-2000 to the right early Bally person.
This essentially for a collector who wants to own something exclusively for the history.
For everybody else, $600.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

If the pinfixer.com website is up, there info about these rare pins.

Had to dig around a bit to find an archived copy:

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20050122212457/http://www.tstonramp.com:80/~pinfixer/pinpix.htm

It just has some later solid state games--not the early stuff like in the OP of this thread.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Had to dig around a bit to find an archived copy:
https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20050122212457/http://www.tstonramp.com:80/~pinfixer/pinpix.htm
It just has some later solid state games--not the early stuff like in the OP of this thread.

The Kiss in the Web page archive has the same displays & board set. I've played his machine in the Pinball Shack in Temecula.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The Kiss in the Web page archive has the same displays & board set. I've played his machine in the Pinball Shack in Temecula.

I'm not looking to profit from this find, I'd rather track down its history. Possibly donate to a pinball museum. Gooder pinball Carma !

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I will open up head and get photos

Still looking for those keys?

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

Still looking for those keys?

Found them........

Cordless-Drill-Full1 (resized).jpgCordless-Drill-Full1 (resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago

Please get some video of it in action. That is very cool. Is there any sound? I didn't notice any chimes.

#32 7 years ago

That's a great piece of pinball history you've got there!

I'd love to see some video of it playing....

Thanks for showing it to all of us!

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Found them........

Well its funny , because we have a large collection of pins since 1978 a Volley my dad brought home was our first game which we still have.I forgot that Bally EM,s have back Doors and two side clips to remove backglass! I was in a rush looked at the sides of cabinet no Key n lefted shop, because looking at the game I think SS ? At 53 , complete home remodeling, 4 kids , 3 in high school and swamped with work I apologize for not having pictures of the inside of the head.I will get back to shop asap for you guys,,im.just as curious!

#34 7 years ago

PM sent. Thank you for sharing (and thanks to the others who chimed in with historical info and all that), VERY interesting!

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

At 53 , complete home remodeling, 4 kids , 3 in high school and swamped with work I apologize for not having pictures of the inside of the head.

Senior moment

#36 7 years ago

Senior moment is funny, but I can roll with the best
Take guys half my age n work em over on a job site with no sleep, Born in 1963, they don't build em like that anymore ! ( year of the spilt window) If it's a a beat I can dance to it , If it's got Hair on it I can Ride It !

These new pin guys don't know about pinball, ya gotta look back to move forward ,

#38 7 years ago

I thought about donating it, after learning my daughters college costs, it's 4 sale now

1 week later
#39 7 years ago

Got some more pics

20170414_142922 (resized).jpg20170414_142922 (resized).jpg

20170414_142910 (resized).jpg20170414_142910 (resized).jpg

20170414_142902 (resized).jpg20170414_142902 (resized).jpg

20170414_142910 (resized).jpg20170414_142910 (resized).jpg

#40 7 years ago

Nutting did several 1off conversions of e&m pins to prove it could be done. This looks like a prototype of the technology Midway used for the home Fireball game.

#41 7 years ago

Thanks for the additional photos.

I can see that you still haven't cleaned off your camera lens, though....

#42 7 years ago

That's great history!

Interesting that it took a decade for the industry to adapt to the #555 bulbs already in use here.

#43 7 years ago

Thanks for posting this

7 months later
#44 6 years ago

Did you get it running yet?

1 month later
#45 6 years ago

This game is for sale, offers ???
Playfield is Mint

#46 6 years ago

Is it working or non-working?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rare-prototype-atari and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.