(Topic ID: 259673)

Rare, Obscure or interesting coins found

By pinballinreno

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Rare, Obscure or interesting coins found”

• This is stupid 0 votes
    • I find it fascinating 45 votes
      82%
    • Wow you got a lot of time on your hands lol 10 votes
      18%

(55 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alexander Severus and Julia Mamea2 (resized).jpg
    Alexander Severus and Julia Mamea (resized).jpg
    7D11919F-D3BA-4092-828A-A30F7729EEB7 (resized).jpeg
    D4A1258E-5635-4C89-BEE6-1A9C9CE2CA21 (resized).jpeg
    DDAFCA34-C937-4582-B0ED-A344611199FF (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20200510122033329 (resized).jpg
    20200510122042742 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20200321_011440 (resized).jpg
    tokens2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    img004 (resized).jpg
    img003 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I just found this in my Diner.
    It was wedged in behind the coin chute.

I have no idea what it is.

Where has my game been in its life?

This led me to question:

What other rare, obcure or interesting coins have been found in your games?

Post pics if you can.
    20200114_094659 (resized).jpg20200114_094659 (resized).jpg20200114_094710 (resized).jpg20200114_094710 (resized).jpg

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

That's crazy it was in there. That is a 100 won coin from South Korea

My Diner was in Korea???
    Wow!
    From there to Reno Nv where it lives now.

Around the world!

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Not_Bobby:

Found these in a demolition man years ago, they are slightly larger than a quarter. Subentra 21 is a movie theater in Indonesia.
    [quoted image]

Indonesia!

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Probably not, just someone that got a whole of some simpler sized quarter knock offs.

Hard to say.
    Korean coin seems pretty obscure. Maybe from Europe?

My farfalla had coins from Belgium, and england. Its heavy corrosion seems to say it was near water or the ocean at some time.

My Doctor Who is a reimport that travelled all over Europe, also a lot of corrosion until i restored it.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Some coin from the Black Hole I refurbished.[quoted image]

Looks like that game has really been moved around!

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Found one of the Mexican coins I was thinking of. It's nearly identical to a US quarter. Non-magnetic; copper & nickel[quoted image][quoted image]

Thats a pretty good coin.

I dont think centavos are even minted any more.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

I found a South Korean 100 won coin in one of my cash boxes when emptying coins. They will sometimes pass through 25 cent coin mechs, it is one of the only foreign coins I've found that will do so. I'd guess this is why you found it, not that the game was in South Korea at any point.

This is really interesting.
    Where dies one acquire korean coins? Lol

Is there sn undercurrent of korean coins specifically to spam pinballs?

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

Ah...South Korea or someone who travels there to visit family. Lots of Koreans live in the US. I lived there on and off for a total of 7 years. I bet there are Koreans living in every state in the US.

That does make sense.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Here's a few I found in a 1956 United Bowling Alley. No gold pieces, but not bad..
    Haha, I had found a Mercury dime in a Bowling Alley, but metal detecting is one of
    my Summertime hobbies. Years back, I use to go out a lot. These are some of one
    of the Summer's hunt..
    [quoted image]

Nice haul!

#34 4 years ago

When I restored my 1954 Vendo 44 Coke Machine I found quite a few coins under the compressor shelf.

Regular coins in circulation at the time.

The machine was in original condition from a closed down and abandoned Phillips 66 gas station somewhere along route 66.

9 mercury dimes, 5 buffalo nickles and a couple wheat back pennies.

The were all glued down in sugar syrup like flies in amber lol

I had a great time doing that resto.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

It’s nuts how many coins get caught in that thing! I was redoing a CT-48 and there was probably 20 bucks in the thing in the drip tray and under the shelf and deep into the weird little channel they built in for the line cord.
    It’s a nice time machine for old coins though!

Yep, sticky old coke machines collect coins like a magnet !

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I found two Buffalo nickels in a flipperless pin last year.
    [quoted image]

Nice find!

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Here's a few I found in a 1956 United Bowling Alley. No gold pieces, but not bad..
    Haha, I had found a Mercury dime in a Bowling Alley, but metal detecting is one of
    my Summertime hobbies. Years back, I use to go out a lot. These are some of one
    of the Summer's hunt..
    [quoted image]

Is that a liberty quarter? I also see a liberty dollar?
    Really nice collection.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

2 walking liberty half dollars.
    LTG : )

those are really nice coins.

#43 4 years ago

what equipment do you use for metal detecting?

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

All the coins I found back in the early days I used a Whites Pro Plus.
    Maybe 7 years or so ago I paid $700.00 plus for a Whites MXT and didn't go out with it
    until last year, and it doesn't function properly. I should have checked it out when first
    new, but I'll be sending it in for repair before the end of Winter. Maybe I'll send the Pro
    Plus in also for freshening up. It's been a great detector..

Last year or so they had a Whites combo kit at costco for a good price.
    It came with the mini pointer/detector.

I almost bought it.

It seems kinda fun to go out and see whats buried just out of sight.
    Youve got me very interested in this hobby!

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingHebes:

Found this gold quarter in one of my coin boxes on route. Ive cleared some jammed Canadian and French coins from mechs. Found a Canadian penny looking thing in the coin box once also. Wasnt sure how it got through the mech, i tried a bunch and it was rejected everytime.[quoted image]

I havent found any gold clad quarters yet, they look cool.

Pinballgoddess has been saving all of my odd finds in a jar somewhere.
    Ill have to dig it out and get a photo.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Since I've been routing games I've of course found a few silver quarters in cash boxes. Unfortunately you don't find as many as you'd think. I maybe find one per year.
    One of the weirdest things I experienced is I ran a couple of games that were imports. They had two slot Entropy doors so the only real difference is the slots themselves are taller and wider, so you can put in 25 cent mechs and have no problems. So you'd think. I'd often come in and a dollar coin would be jammed in a slot. In a period of a few months I had accumulated several Susan B Anthony, Sacagawea, and presidential dollar coins. I finally ordered the correct, quarter sized slots and installed them. But the icing on the cake is below. Yes, I came in one day and a silver Franklin half dollar was jammed in a slot. The coin isn't in good enough shape to make it worth much, but the value of the silver alone is over $6. Go figure. Also pictured below is a standing liberty 25 cent piece that was in a cash box. Unfortunately it isn't in great shape and isn't worth much more than melt value.
    [quoted image]

Still those are nice coins!

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Not much in the way of interesting things from pins, but I did have a customer when I worked at Chick-Fil-A one day pay with a few silver certificate dollar bills, and another guy that paid in a stack of 20 sequentially numbered new dollar bills. I do have some coins from that time as well that were just neat to see, but nothing of any real value.

show us a pic?

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Just found this Domino Pizza coin in the coin return of the getaway I picked up yesterday[quoted image][quoted image]

Thats kinda cool

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

This was an interesting find.
    I bought an old dollar slot machine from a guy who didn't have the keys for it - but assured me it had Ike dollars inside. Insisted there was at least $150 worth of coins in it, so I bought the machine for $200. Didn't really believe him but thought it's worth a shot.
    Got the monster home, drilled the lock and wouldn't you know, $183 in Ike silver dollars inside! Yesss..scored!
    So I emptied the hopper and after I counted them, dropped them back in. For whatever reason, one of the coins made an odd sound when I put dropped it on the table. Singled it out, started examining it, and realized it was hollow, so I used a knife. Sure enough it was a hollowed out Ike dollar, looks like it was very carefully machined. Nothing inside, but looks like there was enough room to put another smaller coin, or maybe a memory card. Totally weird. First image is that coin next to a regular Ike dollar.
    [quoted image]
    Here's the coin opened up:
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Ive seen those at head shops back in tbe day.

Very cool smuggling/spy stuff or contraband lol.

#98 4 years ago

Now I'm thinking of what I could stash in a box coin!

It would have to be small and thin...or powdered?

Gold dust?

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

Sitting in the "gold coin" pocket of my antique cash register.
    [quoted image]

Thats an amazing collection !
    I especially like the 5 cent trade token.

1 month later
    #105 4 years ago

Someone just posted a silver quarter found!

Are we still seeing these in coin boxes?

1 week later
    #110 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Found inside a Baywatch cabinet that was a reimport from Japan.[quoted image]

Nice, a miracle coin lol!

1 month later
    #113 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just found this coin from the United Arab Emirates. Pretty much the same size as a quarter.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Thats a really cool looking coin.
    Maybe from Dubai?

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from JRBBRJ:

I have had this since I was a kid. Cannot remember where I got it but I think my uncle.

I remember seeing those novelty coins when i eas a kid.

Kinda cool seeing one today.

6 months later
    #120 3 years ago
    Quoted from noitbe1:

Just found this really rare « space rider » a kit of 200 pieces. (For sale)
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4018&picno=45031[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Were there any coins found in it?

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Re-Discovered This old coin....It wasnt in a game, But Ive seen it since I was little.
    My Mother Received it when she was young, while helping with an expedition up Mt Ararat, looking for Noahs Ark in the early 50s.
    Its Severus Alexander, and Julia Maesa, circa 235 AD. Both Assassinated, for there Peaceful Agenda, when others wanted war.
    Its a big Bronze Commemorative coin, and was reshared with me by my aging mom.
    Just thought it was really cool and wanted to share.

Thats a great treasure, and a beautiful coin!

Thanks for sharing it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rare-obscure-or-interesting-coins-found?tu=pinballinreno and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.