(Topic ID: 259673)

Rare, Obscure or interesting coins found

By pinballinreno

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Rare, Obscure or interesting coins found”

• This is stupid 0 votes
    • I find it fascinating 45 votes
      82%
    • Wow you got a lot of time on your hands lol 10 votes
      18%

(55 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alexander Severus and Julia Mamea2 (resized).jpg
    Alexander Severus and Julia Mamea (resized).jpg
    7D11919F-D3BA-4092-828A-A30F7729EEB7 (resized).jpeg
    D4A1258E-5635-4C89-BEE6-1A9C9CE2CA21 (resized).jpeg
    DDAFCA34-C937-4582-B0ED-A344611199FF (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20200510122033329 (resized).jpg
    20200510122042742 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20200321_011440 (resized).jpg
    tokens2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    img004 (resized).jpg
    img003 (resized).jpg

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

I just found this in my Diner.
    It was wedged in behind the coin chute.

I have no idea what it is.

Where has my game been in its life?

This led me to question:

What other rare, obcure or interesting coins have been found in your games?

Post pics if you can.
    20200114_094659 (resized).jpg20200114_094659 (resized).jpg20200114_094710 (resized).jpg20200114_094710 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

That's crazy it was in there. That is a 100 won coin from South Korea

#3 4 years ago

I found two Buffalo nickels in a flipperless pin last year.
    20200114_104826 (resized).jpg20200114_104826 (resized).jpg

#4 4 years ago

Yes looks like a 100 Won south Korean coin, Admiral Yi Sun-sin (1545-1598), Korea national hero.

I found these jammed in the coin slot of my Bally Atlantis, along with 3 Canadian quarters, a dime, a nickel, a flat toothpick and a lollipop stick. Sheesh!

Atlantis coins (resized).JPGAtlantis coins (resized).JPG
    #5 4 years ago

I'm still waiting to find a 1932 Denver mint quarter in a pin.

#6 4 years ago

Daditude waiting....

hniy4My (resized).jpghniy4My (resized).jpg
    #7 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Daditude waiting....[quoted image]

I have found that rat turds are the most likely pin "find" out there.

#8 4 years ago

Oh wow I will have to break out the jar.......Yes a jar chucked full of coins and tokens. Some recognizable and iconic, others that you're not sure what continent they came from. To be continued.

Thanks
    Blake

#9 4 years ago

I have a stash of tokens found in the bottom of cabinets (or found in the laundry).

I use the Deutsche Mark to coin up my German reimport FT.

c2 (resized).jpgc2 (resized).jpg

#10 4 years ago

I have a bunch of original FunSpot NH tokens from when my Baby Pac-Man was out on their floor in the 80’s.
    In my arcade games I’ve been constantly getting Chuck E. Cheese tokens, some of them original “Pizza Time Theatre” tokens also from the early 80’s. My favorites are when I get custom ones from locations, like one from The Pinball Wizard arcade which I believe is closed now.

#11 4 years ago

I just found a buffalo nickel in the bottom of a 1939 pin that I'm trying to clean up. It is pretty beat up, but still cool.

#12 4 years ago

Found these in a demolition man years ago, they are slightly larger than a quarter. Subentra 21 is a movie theater in Indonesia.
    20200114_124741 (resized).jpg20200114_124741 (resized).jpg

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

That's crazy it was in there. That is a 100 won coin from South Korea

My Diner was in Korea???
    Wow!
    From there to Reno Nv where it lives now.

Around the world!

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Not_Bobby:

Found these in a demolition man years ago, they are slightly larger than a quarter. Subentra 21 is a movie theater in Indonesia.
    [quoted image]

Indonesia!

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

My Diner was in Korea???

Probably not, just someone that got a whole of some simpler sized quarter knock offs.

#16 4 years ago

There's a Mexican Peso coin that's almost identical to a quarter, other than that it's made of a steel. I've come across a few of those, as well as Canadian quarters, and various tokens.

Interesting article from 1985 about the Peso coin and the coinop industry:
    https://www.upi.com/Archives/1985/04/06/Quarter-sized-pesos-vex-US-vending-industry/1767481611600/

#17 4 years ago

I collect arcade tokens. I have so many that I have found over the years I could never post them all... I will try to remember to post some of my favorite ones late tonight. I like ones that had the business and phone number on them.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Probably not, just someone that got a whole of some simpler sized quarter knock offs.

Hard to say.
    Korean coin seems pretty obscure. Maybe from Europe?

My farfalla had coins from Belgium, and england. Its heavy corrosion seems to say it was near water or the ocean at some time.

My Doctor Who is a reimport that travelled all over Europe, also a lot of corrosion until i restored it.

#19 4 years ago

Korean coin seems pretty obscure. Maybe from Europe?

Lots of servicemen over Korea way?

#20 4 years ago

Some coin from the Black Hole I refurbished.

20200114_174846_resized (resized).jpg20200114_174846_resized (resized).jpg
    #21 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Some coin from the Black Hole I refurbished.[quoted image]

Cool that’s a nice assortment.

#22 4 years ago

Found one of the Mexican coins I was thinking of. It's nearly identical to a US quarter. Non-magnetic; copper & nickel

20200114181802452 (resized).jpg20200114181802452 (resized).jpg20200114181815603 (resized).jpg20200114181815603 (resized).jpg
    #23 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Some coin from the Black Hole I refurbished.[quoted image]

Looks like that game has really been moved around!

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Found one of the Mexican coins I was thinking of. It's nearly identical to a US quarter. Non-magnetic; copper & nickel[quoted image][quoted image]

Thats a pretty good coin.

I dont think centavos are even minted any more.

#25 4 years ago

Anyone have a Space Port coin they want to sell??

#26 4 years ago

I found a South Korean 100 won coin in one of my cash boxes when emptying coins. They will sometimes pass through 25 cent coin mechs, it is one of the only foreign coins I've found that will do so. I'd guess this is why you found it, not that the game was in South Korea at any point.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

I found a South Korean 100 won coin in one of my cash boxes when emptying coins. They will sometimes pass through 25 cent coin mechs, it is one of the only foreign coins I've found that will do so. I'd guess this is why you found it, not that the game was in South Korea at any point.

I have WON at home. Never thought about using it for pinball!

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

This is really interesting.
    Where dies one acquire korean coins? Lol

Is there sn undercurrent of korean coins specifically to spam pinballs?

#29 4 years ago

This is really interesting.
    Where dies one acquire korean coins? Lol
    Is there sn undercurrent of korean coins specifically to spam pinballs?

Ah...South Korea or someone who travels there to visit family. Lots of Koreans live in the US. I lived there on and off for a total of 7 years. I bet there are Koreans living in every state in the US.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

Ah...South Korea or someone who travels there to visit family. Lots of Koreans live in the US. I lived there on and off for a total of 7 years. I bet there are Koreans living in every state in the US.

That does make sense.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I'm still waiting to find a 1932 Denver mint quarter in a pin.

So you have the 1932-S ?

#32 4 years ago

Here's a few I found in a 1956 United Bowling Alley. No gold pieces, but not bad..
    Haha, I had found a Mercury dime in a Bowling Alley, but metal detecting is one of
    my Summertime hobbies. Years back, I use to go out a lot. These are some of one
    of the Summer's hunt..
    IMG_1148 (resized).JPGIMG_1148 (resized).JPG

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Here's a few I found in a 1956 United Bowling Alley. No gold pieces, but not bad..
    Haha, I had found a Mercury dime in a Bowling Alley, but metal detecting is one of
    of the Summer's hunt..
    [quoted image]

Nice haul!

#34 4 years ago

When I restored my 1954 Vendo 44 Coke Machine I found quite a few coins under the compressor shelf.

Regular coins in circulation at the time.

The machine was in original condition from a closed down and abandoned Phillips 66 gas station somewhere along route 66.

9 mercury dimes, 5 buffalo nickles and a couple wheat back pennies.

The were all glued down in sugar syrup like flies in amber lol

I had a great time doing that resto.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

The Pinball Wizard arcade which I believe is closed now.

Yes she closed it down and good riddance. She totally tried to screw me hard on a deal.

#36 4 years ago

When I restored my 1954 Vendo 44 Coke Machine I found quite a few coins under the compressor shelf.
    Regular coins in circulation at the time.
    The machine was in original condition from a closed down and abandoned Phillips 66 gas station somewhere along route 66.
    9 mercury dimes, 5 buffalo nickles and a couple wheat back pennies.
    The were all glued down in sugar syrup like flies in amber lol
    I had a great time doing that resto.

It’s nuts how many coins get caught in that thing! I was redoing a CT-48 and there was probably 20 bucks in the thing in the drip tray and under the shelf and deep into the weird little channel they built in for the line cord.
    It’s a nice time machine for old coins though!

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

It’s nuts how many coins get caught in that thing! I was redoing a CT-48 and there was probably 20 bucks in the thing in the drip tray and under the shelf and deep into the weird little channel they built in for the line cord.
    It’s a nice time machine for old coins though!

Yep, sticky old coke machines collect coins like a magnet !

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I found two Buffalo nickels in a flipperless pin last year.
    [quoted image]

Nice find!

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

of the Summer's hunt..
    [quoted image]

Is that a liberty quarter? I also see a liberty dollar?
    Really nice collection.

#40 4 years ago

Is that a liberty quarter?

I also see a liberty dollar?

2 walking liberty half dollars.

LTG : )

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

2 walking liberty half dollars.

those are really nice coins.

#42 4 years ago

those are really nice coins.

Thanks. Between 1988 and 1992, if the weather permit, I went out coin hunting much of
    my spare time. I took that pic a while back for the "Other Hobbies thread". That's the better
    of the coins I found in one of the Summers. For each year, I kept the better coins apart from
    the Wheaties, Memorial, clad coins, ect. Once I bought my property, all time went into it. I'm
    going to start getting back into the detecting a little bit. Maybe this week I'll get some pics
    of some of the interesting coins I've dug up (most coins are usually between 3"-6"), can hear
    them to about 10" deep..
    Over the years, I built a vintage park down back, but beginning to run out of space and projects,
    so I'm sure I'll be getting back into metal detecting once again.
    When I was younger, when seeing people detecting, I remember saying, "look at those idiots out there",
    but later I realized that it's actually a great hobby..

#43 4 years ago

what equipment do you use for metal detecting?

#44 4 years ago

Its heavy corrosion seems to say it was near water or the ocean at some time.

I had a Getaway and it had a rust in it and I found Greek drachma coins in it , apparently they just leave them out the front of restaurants and cafes and don't care for them . I just chucked some mods in it and sold it .

#45 4 years ago

Found this gold quarter in one of my coin boxes on route. Ive cleared some jammed Canadian and French coins from mechs. Found a Canadian penny looking thing in the coin box once also. Wasnt sure how it got through the mech, i tried a bunch and it was rejected everytime.

20191105_151926 (resized).jpg20191105_151926 (resized).jpg
    #46 4 years ago

I found one of those gold plated quarters in one of my cash boxes years ago. Makes you do a double take. Unfortunately not worth more than 25c though.

#47 4 years ago

what equipment do you use for metal detecting?

All the coins I found back in the early days I used a Whites Pro Plus.
    Maybe 7 years or so ago I paid $700.00 plus for a Whites MXT and didn't go out with it
    until last year, and it doesn't function properly. I should have checked it out when first
    new, but I'll be sending it in for repair before the end of Winter. Maybe I'll send the Pro
    Plus in also for freshening up. It's been a great detector..

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

All the coins I found back in the early days I used a Whites Pro Plus.
    Maybe 7 years or so ago I paid $700.00 plus for a Whites MXT and didn't go out with it
    until last year, and it doesn't function properly. I should have checked it out when first
    new, but I'll be sending it in for repair before the end of Winter. Maybe I'll send the Pro
    Plus in also for freshening up. It's been a great detector..

Last year or so they had a Whites combo kit at costco for a good price.
    It came with the mini pointer/detector.

I almost bought it.

It seems kinda fun to go out and see whats buried just out of sight.
    Youve got me very interested in this hobby!

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingHebes:

Found this gold quarter in one of my coin boxes on route. Ive cleared some jammed Canadian and French coins from mechs. Found a Canadian penny looking thing in the coin box once also. Wasnt sure how it got through the mech, i tried a bunch and it was rejected everytime.[quoted image]

I havent found any gold clad quarters yet, they look cool.

Pinballgoddess has been saving all of my odd finds in a jar somewhere.
    Ill have to dig it out and get a photo.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingHebes:

Found this gold quarter in one of my coin boxes

I found one of the US Mint state quarters in a cashbox, that someone had painted all the details on the reverse. A really beautiful job. I should have taken a picture of it.

I gave it to the daughter of a customer that was collecting them. I thought it would be a great addition to her collection.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rare-obscure-or-interesting-coins-found?hl=mafia_metals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.