(Topic ID: 259673)

Rare, Obscure or interesting coins found

By pinballinreno

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Rare, Obscure or interesting coins found”

• This is stupid 0 votes
    • I find it fascinating 45 votes
      82%
    • Wow you got a lot of time on your hands lol 10 votes
      18%

(55 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alexander Severus and Julia Mamea2 (resized).jpg
    Alexander Severus and Julia Mamea (resized).jpg
    7D11919F-D3BA-4092-828A-A30F7729EEB7 (resized).jpeg
    D4A1258E-5635-4C89-BEE6-1A9C9CE2CA21 (resized).jpeg
    DDAFCA34-C937-4582-B0ED-A344611199FF (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20200510122033329 (resized).jpg
    20200510122042742 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20200321_011440 (resized).jpg
    tokens2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    img004 (resized).jpg
    img003 (resized).jpg

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

This was an interesting find.
    I bought an old dollar slot machine from a guy who didn't have the keys for it - but assured me it had Ike dollars inside. Insisted there was at least $150 worth of coins in it, so I bought the machine for $200. Didn't really believe him but thought it's worth a shot.
    Got the monster home, drilled the lock and wouldn't you know, $183 in Ike silver dollars inside! Yesss..scored!
    So I emptied the hopper and after I counted them, dropped them back in. For whatever reason, one of the coins made an odd sound when I put dropped it on the table. Singled it out, started examining it, and realized it was hollow, so I used a knife. Sure enough it was a hollowed out Ike dollar, looks like it was very carefully machined. Nothing inside, but looks like there was enough room to put another smaller coin, or maybe a memory card. Totally weird. First image is that coin next to a regular Ike dollar.
    [quoted image]
    Here's the coin opened up:
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I definitely saw those for sale in a Head shop in the late 70's when cocaine was big.

#102 4 years ago

Somewhere along the line, somebody gave me a bag of "Keurig" coffee tokens, a bit shy of 100 of the things. If anybody wants 'em, just let me know and cover shipping.

#103 4 years ago

Sitting in the "gold coin" pocket of my antique cash register.
    tokens2 (resized).jpgtokens2 (resized).jpg

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

Sitting in the "gold coin" pocket of my antique cash register.
    [quoted image]

Thats an amazing collection !
    I especially like the 5 cent trade token.

1 month later
    #105 4 years ago

Someone just posted a silver quarter found!

Are we still seeing these in coin boxes?

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Are we still seeing these in coin boxes?

I get maybe two or three quarters a year.

Somehow get back into circulation, and gets spent. Mixed in with other coins, people often don't recognize the difference.

LTG : )

1 week later
    #107 3 years ago

Found inside a Baywatch cabinet that was a reimport from Japan.

20200321_011440 (resized).jpg20200321_011440 (resized).jpg
    #108 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Found inside a Baywatch cabinet that was a reimport from Japan.[quoted image]

Coin says "Mi Ra Ku Ru" (Miracle).
    https://eudict.com/?lang=japeng&word=mirakuru

#109 3 years ago

Funny, we have a Japanese exchange student staying with us, she confirmed the translation but is having trouble with these. She says they are the names of the
    Stores/parlors

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #110 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Nice, a miracle coin lol!

1 month later
    #111 3 years ago

Just found this coin from the United Arab Emirates. Pretty much the same size as a quarter.

20200510122033329 (resized).jpg20200510122033329 (resized).jpg20200510122042742 (resized).jpg20200510122042742 (resized).jpg
    #112 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I answered an ad, around 30 years in the paper for a pin for sale in Lake Wales, Florida.
    I went out to see it, it was a TZ, but the condition and price wasnt working, so a sale wasnt reached.
    I asked the owner, it was at a restaurant, if he had anything else coin-op.
    Sadly, he shared, a friend from North of Chicago had finally moved down, and recently past away.
    The Slot was found with 2 others during a Renovation of a large Cabin on the lake, behind a wall.
    His friend left him, A Watling Roll a Top....No keys, it didnt spin, but he offered, and I grabbed it anyway.
    I needed to drill the lock, and when I finally opened it, in a Coin envelope, was a $5.00 Gold Indian.
    I Imagine it was placed in the Jackpot window, which was something done back then.
    (Usually the second jackpot, making it almost impossible to win)
    A 1929 Coin in a 1935 approx Slot! What a Thrill!
    Heres the slot...but a stock photo of an Indian.[quoted image][quoted image]

What a cool find! I can imagine a gangsters gambling den with these old slots! Wonder if anyone was ever able to win that $5 gold!

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just found this coin from the United Arab Emirates. Pretty much the same size as a quarter.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Thats a really cool looking coin.
    Maybe from Dubai?

#114 3 years ago

I have had this since I was a kid. Cannot remember where I got it but I think my uncle.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #115 3 years ago
    Quoted from JRBBRJ:

I have had this since I was a kid. Cannot remember where I got it but I think my uncle.

I remember seeing those novelty coins when i eas a kid.

Kinda cool seeing one today.

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I’ve got hundreds of those in all my Pachislo slots

6 months later
    #117 3 years ago

Just found this really rare « space rider » a kit of 200 pieces. (For sale)

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4018&picno=45031

7D11919F-D3BA-4092-828A-A30F7729EEB7 (resized).jpeg7D11919F-D3BA-4092-828A-A30F7729EEB7 (resized).jpegD4A1258E-5635-4C89-BEE6-1A9C9CE2CA21 (resized).jpegD4A1258E-5635-4C89-BEE6-1A9C9CE2CA21 (resized).jpegDDAFCA34-C937-4582-B0ED-A344611199FF (resized).jpegDDAFCA34-C937-4582-B0ED-A344611199FF (resized).jpeg
    #118 3 years ago

Harlem Boobytrotters.

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from noitbe1:

This is the rare coin thread. You want the rare pin thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/list-of-rare-pinball-games-value

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from noitbe1:

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4018&picno=45031[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Were there any coins found in it?

#121 3 years ago

Re-Discovered This old coin....It wasnt in a game, But Ive seen it since I was little.
    My Mother Received it when she was young, while helping with an expedition up Mt Ararat, looking for Noahs Ark in the early 50s.

Its Severus Alexander, and Julia Maesa, circa 235 AD. Both Assassinated, for there Peaceful Agenda, when others wanted war.
    Its a big Bronze Commemorative coin, and was reshared with me by my aging mom.

Just thought it was really cool and wanted to share.

Alexander Severus and Julia Mamea (resized).jpgAlexander Severus and Julia Mamea (resized).jpgAlexander Severus and Julia Mamea2 (resized).jpgAlexander Severus and Julia Mamea2 (resized).jpg

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Re-Discovered This old coin....It wasnt in a game, But Ive seen it since I was little.
    My Mother Received it when she was young, while helping with an expedition up Mt Ararat, looking for Noahs Ark in the early 50s.
    Its Severus Alexander, and Julia Maesa, circa 235 AD. Both Assassinated, for there Peaceful Agenda, when others wanted war.
    Its a big Bronze Commemorative coin, and was reshared with me by my aging mom.
    Just thought it was really cool and wanted to share.

Thats a great treasure, and a beautiful coin!

Thanks for sharing it.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rare-obscure-or-interesting-coins-found/page/3?hl=mafia_metals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.