(Topic ID: 259673)

Rare, Obscure or interesting coins found

By pinballinreno

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Rare, Obscure or interesting coins found”

• This is stupid 0 votes
    • I find it fascinating 45 votes
      82%
    • Wow you got a lot of time on your hands lol 10 votes
      18%

(55 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alexander Severus and Julia Mamea2 (resized).jpg
    Alexander Severus and Julia Mamea (resized).jpg
    7D11919F-D3BA-4092-828A-A30F7729EEB7 (resized).jpeg
    D4A1258E-5635-4C89-BEE6-1A9C9CE2CA21 (resized).jpeg
    DDAFCA34-C937-4582-B0ED-A344611199FF (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20200510122033329 (resized).jpg
    20200510122042742 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20200321_011440 (resized).jpg
    tokens2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    img004 (resized).jpg
    img003 (resized).jpg

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I found one of the US Mint state quarters in a cashbox, that someone had painted all the details on the reverse. A really beautiful job. I should have taken a picture of it.

You could buy them that way at one time, I remember seeing the advertisements.

Still can-

https://www.littletoncoin.com/shop/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=29555&productId=83059&referralCode=WRB&CAWELAID=120066810000016884&msclkid=61e437f6ccb111a4f87069d0d842e8f1&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20US%20Coin%20-%20Shopping%20%5BNEW%5D&utm_term=4583245502459927&utm_content=Quarter%20Dollar%20%5BNEW%5D

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

You could buy them that way at one time, I remember seeing the advertisements.

Still can-

Neat.

The one I found was hand painted, not a production version like these.

LTG : )

#53 4 years ago

Not much in the way of interesting things from pins, but I did have a customer when I worked at Chick-Fil-A one day pay with a few silver certificate dollar bills, and another guy that paid in a stack of 20 sequentially numbered new dollar bills. I do have some coins from that time as well that were just neat to see, but nothing of any real value.

#54 4 years ago

Since I've been routing games I've of course found a few silver quarters in cash boxes. Unfortunately you don't find as many as you'd think. I maybe find one per year.

One of the weirdest things I experienced is I ran a couple of games that were imports. They had two slot Entropy doors so the only real difference is the slots themselves are taller and wider, so you can put in 25 cent mechs and have no problems. So you'd think. I'd often come in and a dollar coin would be jammed in a slot. In a period of a few months I had accumulated several Susan B Anthony, Sacagawea, and presidential dollar coins. I finally ordered the correct, quarter sized slots and installed them. But the icing on the cake is below. Yes, I came in one day and a silver Franklin half dollar was jammed in a slot. The coin isn't in good enough shape to make it worth much, but the value of the silver alone is over $6. Go figure. Also pictured below is a standing liberty 25 cent piece that was in a cash box. Unfortunately it isn't in great shape and isn't worth much more than melt value.
    IMG_20200120_160117 (resized).jpgIMG_20200120_160117 (resized).jpg

#55 4 years ago

I just found these in an Eight Ball Deluxe mech.

IMG_9698 (resized).JPGIMG_9698 (resized).JPG
    #56 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Thanks. Between 1988 and 1992, if the weather permit, I went out coin hunting much of
    my spare time. I took that pic a while back for the "Other Hobbies thread". That's the better
    of the coins I found in one of the Summers. For each year, I kept the better coins apart from
    the Wheaties, Memorial, clad coins, ect. Once I bought my property, all time went into it. I'm
    going to start getting back into the detecting a little bit. Maybe this week I'll get some pics
    of some of the interesting coins I've dug up (most coins are usually between 3"-6"), can hear
    them to about 10" deep..
    Over the years, I built a vintage park down back, but beginning to run out of space and projects,
    so I'm sure I'll be getting back into metal detecting once again.
    When I was younger, when seeing people detecting, I remember saying, "look at those idiots out there",
    but later I realized that it's actually a great hobby..

Metal detector hobbyists come by the dozens here because of the all the big beaches and shoreline.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I found one of the US Mint state quarters in a cashbox, that someone had painted all the details on the reverse. A really beautiful job. I should have taken a picture of it.
    I gave it to the daughter of a customer that was collecting them. I thought it would be a great addition to her collection.

I've seen photos of those surface every so often...some are painted by hand (which is incredibly fine detailing), and some are actually printed to order.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Since I've been routing games I've of course found a few silver quarters in cash boxes. Unfortunately you don't find as many as you'd think. I maybe find one per year.
    One of the weirdest things I experienced is I ran a couple of games that were imports. They had two slot Entropy doors so the only real difference is the slots themselves are taller and wider, so you can put in 25 cent mechs and have no problems. So you'd think. I'd often come in and a dollar coin would be jammed in a slot. In a period of a few months I had accumulated several Susan B Anthony, Sacagawea, and presidential dollar coins. I finally ordered the correct, quarter sized slots and installed them. But the icing on the cake is below. Yes, I came in one day and a silver Franklin half dollar was jammed in a slot. The coin isn't in good enough shape to make it worth much, but the value of the silver alone is over $6. Go figure. Also pictured below is a standing liberty 25 cent piece that was in a cash box. Unfortunately it isn't in great shape and isn't worth much more than melt value.
    [quoted image]

Still those are nice coins!

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Not much in the way of interesting things from pins, but I did have a customer when I worked at Chick-Fil-A one day pay with a few silver certificate dollar bills, and another guy that paid in a stack of 20 sequentially numbered new dollar bills. I do have some coins from that time as well that were just neat to see, but nothing of any real value.

show us a pic?

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

silver certificate dollar bills

Those are interesting. In 1964 for awhile until it ended. You could trade them in for $1 in silver coins.

Did people do that ? No. They quite printing them, they'll be worth money. So millions upon millions were saved. And unless crisp uncirculated and or rare issue. They are worth.............................. a dollar.

If we knew then what we know now. I think more people would have traded them in for the silver coins.

#61 4 years ago

Okay here’s a picture of my “interesting tokens” collection. The arcade I run is a token arcade so I usually just scoop any of the ones that catch my eye. There have been a lot of weird ones. I’m also surprised at how far they travel.

The Jillian’s one has been a pain in my ass. There were probably a dozen of so unleashed on my arcade, and they’re made of some cheap shit, they’re extremely light, like aluminum, so they were jamming my mechs left and right!
    They’re so light they would just get stuck in the little scale, wouldn’t reject. In those little token flipper games, they’re also slightly larger than my tokens so they’d get 3/4 into the chute and jam the “catapult”.
    I’ve taken that thing apart at least 6 times. I’m fairly certain I’ve got them all now.

CE1B79E2-91B7-43AE-8092-7B0CAA54D3FC.jpegCE1B79E2-91B7-43AE-8092-7B0CAA54D3FC.jpeg
    #62 4 years ago

I answered an ad, around 30 years in the paper for a pin for sale in Lake Wales, Florida.
    I went out to see it, it was a TZ, but the condition and price wasnt working, so a sale wasnt reached.
    I asked the owner, it was at a restaurant, if he had anything else coin-op.
    Sadly, he shared, a friend from North of Chicago had finally moved down, and recently past away.
    The Slot was found with 2 others during a Renovation of a large Cabin on the lake, behind a wall.
    His friend left him, A Watling Roll a Top....No keys, it didnt spin, but he offered, and I grabbed it anyway.

I needed to drill the lock, and when I finally opened it, in a Coin envelope, was a $5.00 Gold Indian.
    I Imagine it was placed in the Jackpot window, which was something done back then.
    (Usually the second jackpot, making it almost impossible to win)
    A 1929 Coin in a 1935 approx Slot! What a Thrill!

Heres the slot...but a stock photo of an Indian.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #63 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

By far the best coin I heard found in a coin op machine..
    btw: what did you give for the slot?

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I answered an ad, around 30 years in the paper for a pin for sale in Lake Wales, Florida.
    I went out to see it, it was a TZ, but the condition and price wasnt working, so a sale wasnt reached.
    I asked the owner, it was at a restaurant, if he had anything else coin-op.
    Sadly, he shared, a friend from North of Chicago had finally moved down, and recently past away.
    The Slot was found with 2 others during a Renovation of a large Cabin on the lake, behind a wall.
    His friend left him, A Watling Roll a Top....No keys, it didnt spin, but he offered, and I grabbed it anyway.
    I needed to drill the lock, and when I finally opened it, in a Coin envelope, was a $5.00 Gold Indian.
    I Imagine it was placed in the Jackpot window, which was something done back then.
    (Usually the second jackpot, making it almost impossible to win)
    Heres the slot...but a stock photo of an Indian.[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! That's a find!!

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Okay here’s a picture of my “interesting tokens” collection. The arcade I run is a token arcade so I usually just scoop any of the ones that catch my eye. There have been a lot of weird ones. I’m also surprised at how far they travel.
    The Jillian’s one has been a pain in my ass. There were probably a dozen of so unleashed on my arcade, and they’re made of some cheap shit, they’re extremely light, like aluminum, so they were jamming my mechs left and right!
    They’re so light they would just get stuck in the little scale, wouldn’t reject. In those little token flipper games, they’re also slightly larger than my tokens so they’d get 3/4 into the chute and jam the “catapult”.
    I’ve taken that thing apart at least 6 times. I’m fairly certain I’ve got them all now.[quoted image]

High hopes that they are the right size and weight...?

#66 4 years ago

I’ve worked in the coin industry my entire life.
    From time to time you hear really interesting stories about random coins used in coin operated machinery.

Perhaps the most interesting one I’ve ever heard was from a friend of mine who bought the city of New York’s parking meter rejects.

Basically anything and everything that got kicked out by the hoppers when they dumped all the coins in a coin counter at a sorting facility. He told me about the deal in the early 2000s, so I’m guessing this transpired in the 1990s.

What he told me is that everything that got kicked out of the coin hoppers got thrown in 5 gallon buckets.
    I guess they had been sorting out stuff for many years and anything that wasn’t able to be deposited was kicked to the side until it became a burden. He said it was a couple tons of coins, tokens, metal slugs etc. Basically anything the coin counting machines would kick out, including damaged US coins where they were bent.
    It was a bid deal where they mailed a certain number of coin dealers a sample bucket and you had to bid on the entire deal (per pound) based on the sampling.
    My buddy wound up buying the deal and said it took forever to sort when he got it. There was all kinds of stuff in the mix ranging from amusement tokens to silver coins, metal washers, tons of foreign coins and even a few small sized gold coins. Parking meters didn’t have coin ejects, so whatever got dropped went into the mix.
    He told me there was around 15k in damages US coins that he wound up bagging up and sending back to the federal reserve and exchanged at face value.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

By far the best coin I heard found in a coin op machine..
    btw: what did you give for the slot?

I sold the Watling for $3K, about 12 years ago. Still have about 15 slots left....

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

High hopes that they are the right size and weight...?

All the others? Yes they all work, I have an entire separate collection of Chuck E Cheese tokens dating back to 1982 that keep showing up. By far the most common are super old Dave & Busters token and the CEC tokens. They’re same type of token as mine but I find it funny that people carry them around so long and decide “I’m gonna use these in this arcade”

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Neat.
    The one I found was hand painted, not a production version like these.

Hand painted ones area available for sale too, I just posted one of the random links that come up when you google "colorized American quarters"

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

All the others? Yes they all work, I have an entire separate collection of Chuck E Cheese tokens dating back to 1982 that keep showing up. By far the most common are super old Dave & Busters token and the CEC tokens. They’re same type of token as mine but I find it funny that people carry them around so long and decide “I’m gonna use these in this arcade”

Some of the very early Chuck E Cheese tokens are actually worth something.
    In the early 80s they put town names with state as well as a date on them.
    Some of the “rarer” town names will actually sell for $15-$25 or more on eBay.
    Supposedly there are some prototype and pattern tokens that are worth in the hundreds.

#71 4 years ago

Some of the tokens I've found, usually inside games. Sorry the edge ones are blurry. I didn't include some of the mundane ones like "vacuum token" or "ride token."
    tokens (Large) (resized).jpgtokens (Large) (resized).jpg

Some of the Canadian tokens, I mean quarters I've found.
    canadian (Large) (resized).jpgcanadian (Large) (resized).jpg

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Some of the Canadian tokens, I mean quarters I've found.

I'm surprised you ended up with so many that far from the border. In the northeast, we tend to get big crowds of Canadians when the exchange rate is in their favor, and their quarters, dimes, and pennies always seem to make their way into circulation.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I'm still waiting to find a 1932 Denver mint quarter in a pin.

I used to hide my coins in my bedroom as a kid. Hid my 32s Washington quarter in ‘76 and have never found it. Occasionally, when visiting my Moms house, I’ll still look for it.

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm surprised you ended up with so many that far from the border.

We have an ice hockey center a few miles away and often the teams come to my locations to eat. I notice that after certain events I'll find more Canadian quarters caught in the mechs than normal. So that might be some of it, but I doubt it ends up being a significant amount. It is surprising how many I've gotten over the years.

Quoted from Electrocute:

Hid my 32s Washington quarter in ‘76 and have never found it.

Ouch!

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Some of the very early Chuck E Cheese tokens are actually worth something.
    In the early 80s they put town names with state as well as a date on them.
    Some of the “rarer” town names will actually sell for $15-$25 or more on eBay.
    Supposedly there are some prototype and pattern tokens that are worth in the hundreds.

Agree. Most of the CEC ones that I am missing, I would pay decent $.

#77 4 years ago

Just found this Domino Pizza coin in the coin return of the getaway I picked up yesterday

20200122_103017.jpg20200122_103017.jpg20200122_103029.jpg20200122_103029.jpg
    #78 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Just found this Domino Pizza coin in the coin return of the getaway I picked up yesterday[quoted image][quoted image]

Thats kinda cool

#79 4 years ago

I’m surprised this article didn’t mention the MTA in NYC; I seem to recall this was a huge issue!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

There's a Mexican Peso coin that's almost identical to a quarter, other than that it's made of a steel. I've come across a few of those, as well as Canadian quarters, and various tokens.
    Interesting article from 1985 about the Peso coin and the coinop industry:
    https://www.upi.com/Archives/1985/04/06/Quarter-sized-pesos-vex-US-vending-industry/1767481611600/

#80 4 years ago

Here is a pic of the oddballs I have found. 2 from local arcades long gone.

9756CC7E-CF23-4F01-8C9B-B5313E734429 (resized).jpeg9756CC7E-CF23-4F01-8C9B-B5313E734429 (resized).jpegD614B0E5-36AE-411D-8C74-CFD53429D63E (resized).jpegD614B0E5-36AE-411D-8C74-CFD53429D63E (resized).jpeg
    #81 4 years ago

When I was operating a route many years ago I saved all the oddball stuff I found in a glass jar. Here's what I wound up with, now I need to figure out what to do with it and if there are any valuables ones mixed in there.....

IMG_7993 (resized).JPGIMG_7993 (resized).JPGIMG_7994 (resized).JPGIMG_7994 (resized).JPGIMG_7995 (resized).JPGIMG_7995 (resized).JPGIMG_7996 (resized).JPGIMG_7996 (resized).JPGIMG_7997 (resized).JPGIMG_7997 (resized).JPG
    #82 4 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

now I need to figure out what to do with it

This is what I'm going to do when I get enough foreign coins:

https://www.unicefusa.org/supporters/organizations/companies/american-airlines/change-good

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

if there are any valuables ones mixed in there.....

Kennedy half dollar with some silver content, for a start.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

When I was operating a route many years ago I saved all the oddball stuff I found in a glass jar. Here's what I wound up with, now I need to figure out what to do with it and if there are any valuables ones mixed in there.....[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How would a half dollar and silver dollar make its way through the coin chute?

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from fossmin:

How would a half dollar and silver dollar make its way through the coin chute?

Magic token slot on Safecracker might pass the half dollar. He posted he found them, so they may not all have gotten in the coin box the normal way.

Check out the quarter with a hole in it. Somebody tried the old coin on a string trick.

#86 4 years ago

The first arcade I worked in, before we went to tokens, I'd occasionally find ¥100 coins. Usually in machines that had Asahi-Seiko quarter acceptors.

#87 4 years ago

I was thinking of bringing them into a coin dealer and see if they think there's anything worthwhile in there, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

I was thinking of bringing them into a coin dealer and see if they think there's anything worthwhile in there, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

A good coin dealer will let you know if you have anything of value. I used to collect coins. Sold them to buy a car!

#89 4 years ago

This was an interesting find.

I bought an old dollar slot machine from a guy who didn't have the keys for it - but assured me it had Ike dollars inside. Insisted there was at least $150 worth of coins in it, so I bought the machine for $200. Didn't really believe him but thought it's worth a shot.

Got the monster home, drilled the lock and wouldn't you know, $183 in Ike silver dollars inside! Yesss..scored!

So I emptied the hopper and after I counted them, dropped them back in. For whatever reason, one of the coins made an odd sound when I put dropped it on the table. Singled it out, started examining it, and realized it was hollow, so I used a knife. Sure enough it was a hollowed out Ike dollar, looks like it was very carefully machined. Nothing inside, but looks like there was enough room to put another smaller coin, or maybe a memory card. Totally weird. First image is that coin next to a regular Ike dollar.
    img001 (resized).jpgimg001 (resized).jpg

Here's the coin opened up:

img002 (resized).jpgimg002 (resized).jpg
    img003 (resized).jpgimg003 (resized).jpg
    img004 (resized).jpgimg004 (resized).jpg

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

I bought an old dollar slot machine from a guy who didn't have the keys for it - but assured me it had Ike dollars inside. Insisted there was at least $150 worth of coins in it, so I bought the machine for $200. Didn't really believe him but thought it's worth a shot.
    Got the monster home, drilled the lock and wouldn't you know, $183 in Ike silver dollars inside! Yesss..scored!
    So I emptied the hopper and after I counted them, dropped them back in. For whatever reason, one of the coins made an odd sound when I put dropped it on the table. Singled it out, started examining it, and realized it was hollow, so I used a knife. Sure enough it was a hollowed out Ike dollar, looks like it was very carefully machined. Nothing inside, but looks like there was enough room to put another smaller coin, or maybe a memory card. Totally weird. First image is that coin next to a regular Ike dollar.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Ive seen those at head shops back in tbe day.

Very cool smuggling/spy stuff or contraband lol.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

It’s one of these spy coins! They still sell them.

https://spy-coins.com/Ike.html

#92 4 years ago

Well, you might give yourself away walking around with a dollar coin in your pocket. Might as well have a neon sign on your shoulder that says you're concealing something...

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Thats what you call a "box coin" its actually made out of two coins milled out and made into sort of a locket.
    Sometimes you find things like a photograph or a lock of hair in them.

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

Well, you might give yourself away walking around with a dollar coin in your pocket. Might as well have a neon sign on your shoulder that says you're concealing something...

But what if you are stealing sensitive electronic documents, storing them on a micro sd card, and need to get through metal detectors. You place the coin with a bunch of other coin and know one would be all the wiser. Especially if you are going thru foreign customs at an airport.

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

But what if you are stealing sensitive electronic documents, storing them on a micro sd card, and need to get through metal detectors. You place the coin with a bunch of other coin and know one would be all the wiser. Especially if you are going thru foreign customs at an airport.

Yeah, no one looking at the scanner at an airport will see the shadow.

Check on line images of coins in an airport scanner. It will show up.

#96 4 years ago

Originally called Opium Coins...for, well Opium.

Silver and gold hinged....hard to spot, when closed.
    I have a collection of both Opium and Spy.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #97 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Originally called Opium Coins...for, well Opium.
    Silver and gold hinged....hard to spot, when closed.
    I have a collection of both Opium and Spy.[quoted image][quoted image]

That one actually is intended to house an image like a tintype, ferrotype or daguerritype.

#98 4 years ago

Now I'm thinking of what I could stash in a box coin!

It would have to be small and thin...or powdered?

Gold dust?

#99 4 years ago

This thread has peaked my curiosity on the mechs these days. How good are they now in detecting bogus or incorrect coins? What is the technology they use in the mech to do this? Can they be tricked? I’ll bet once LTG sees this, I’ll be an expert in coin mechs before I know it

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Can they be tricked?

Anything can be tricked.

Best I ever ran into was one that Midway used during the video fad. Kind of a gold metal, the two cradle parts were nylon. And had a cutter on it. Nothing got past that except cast aluminum quarters kids were making in the aluminum foundry in school. I stopped that at the source.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rare-obscure-or-interesting-coins-found/page/2?hl=mafia_metals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.