(Topic ID: 190645)

Rare look at IO Moon (now with gameplay video)

By CaptainNeo

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

io moon instruction cards (resized).jpg
image-35 (resized).jpg
image-34 (resized).jpg
monolith-action_figure (resized).jpg
image-9 (resized).jpg
glowing rocks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
shopped (10) (resized).JPG
shopped (9) (resized).JPG
shopped (8) (resized).JPG
shopped (6) (resized).JPG
shopped (7) (resized).JPG
shopped (5) (resized).JPG
shopped (4) (resized).JPG
shopped (3) (resized).JPG
shopped (2) (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

After years of searching for this title. I have finally found one. I know of only 1 other one in the USA and know of another in South america. Took me 6 years to finally find one. Was dirty as all shit. Every lamp socket needed to be replaced because of the shit design lamp sockets that fell apart and would seize the bulbs in. Things are playing now, but still needs some tweeking. I will be posting video of the game soon, when I get everything working well. Love the sound package. The pop caps glow and pulsate with red between the rock cracks. I thought Jupiter rotated, but it does not....not yet anyway. I will be working to make that happen. Just thought i'd share a super rare DMD, most have never seen.

shopped (1) (resized).JPGshopped (1) (resized).JPG
shopped (2) (resized).JPGshopped (2) (resized).JPG
shopped (3) (resized).JPGshopped (3) (resized).JPG
shopped (4) (resized).JPGshopped (4) (resized).JPG
shopped (5) (resized).JPGshopped (5) (resized).JPG
shopped (7) (resized).JPGshopped (7) (resized).JPG
shopped (6) (resized).JPGshopped (6) (resized).JPG
shopped (8) (resized).JPGshopped (8) (resized).JPG
shopped (9) (resized).JPGshopped (9) (resized).JPG
shopped (10) (resized).JPGshopped (10) (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Guessing you play it with pop bumper caps off. Talk about unobtanium...

actually they are like a soft foam rubber type material. So they really can't break.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

Very cool theme. Haven't heard of that manufacturer, what got you interested in searching for it?

another rare euro collector introduced it to me about 6 years ago. I wanted one ever since. Sound package is killer.

#22 6 years ago

yes, the boards have a crapload of baby fuses (T versions) all over the place. Which I guess is good to narrowing down where a problem could occur. Problem right now, is that I have no manual, or schematics and there isn't any documentation online anywhere. But I have a lead on a manual, so that is going to change soon.

#24 6 years ago

here's a pic (i didn't take this one) of what the pops look like when they are glowing.

glowing rocks (resized).jpgglowing rocks (resized).jpg

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Oh ... Does IO Moon have that plastic playfield clear coat like Bike Race?

yes, the entire playfield is covered in a sheet of about 1/4" thick plastic, so wear is impossible. Taito did that on their games as well.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Pretty neat, the wiring route is nice and clean. It looks like two power boards on top, CPU/switches mid right, sound mid left. Anyone know what's the lower left? Looks like the lower ones are both driver boards. I guess very bottom right is the DMD hv..
Thanks for sharing!

I think the lower left is a lamp driver board.

#47 6 years ago

Here is a gameplay video.

I'm still experiencing some lamp matrix issues going on. During Lamp test, It seems to light 3 lights at the same time, and I think it's suppose to go light one by one. I have a lot of lights on that shouldn't be lit and the lights kind of do what they want. Hard to troubleshoot when you dont' have a manual or schematics. And they are not available anywhere on the internet.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Ok. Im officially jealous Neo!
It has the music from 2001!
Please put me first on list when you want ro sell it in 6 years, i came up with that time frame based on how long it took you to find one.
Since that lamp matrix is wonky...

i'll get this lamp matrix figured out. Once I find out if the test is suppose to show only 1 at a time, then I know it's probably a chip or transistor that is lighting 3 at once. Should be an easy fix at that point.

Just like always, there's no such thing as not for sale in my collection. It's just if you want something from my private stash, it's going to be pretty high.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

If it is indeed a lamp matrix, then it shouldn't be too hard to figure out by looking at the wire colors and reverse engineering it. Then trace it back to the connectors and see what's driving it on the board. That's what I did with the switch matrix on my Shark before I got a manual. Since it's new enough to have a DMD in it, I would think it is a matrix, rather than individual SCRs driving each lamp e.g. early Bally. Are all 3 lights always locked on? If not, do they all come on at the same time during game play? Could just be bad diodes on each lamp too.

actually I looked up the manual for bike race which is helping out a lot for this one. It's indeed a matrix for the lamps. I can't tell if all 3 come on during gameplay, because they are all Linked with 3 or 4 in test mode. Every light shows a group of lights. I think this is why the field is so full when playing the game. Because every light that is suppose to be on, brings 3 or 4 more with it. So something is causing every light to partner up with 2 or 3 others.

I know it's not the diodes on the sockets, because I just put in all new sockets and all new diodes and triple checked them, because I had to go back, and pull all the LED's out, to put bulbs in. Just to make sure the LEd's were not screwing with the system. So while I had them out, I made sure every diode was on correctly, and on the right contact points. So all sockets are checked and triple checked. So now I'm moving to the boards and connectors. All my connectors look like new. even when I pull the pins out of the molex, they are shiny and new looking. Also redid the pins to make sure we didn't have cold solder joints.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Sounds like it's time to bust out the logic probe.. Does the board have standard PIAs ? Weird that the whole matrix would fail in a similar way, unless they just went cheap and used 3 bulbs per drive and hoped no one would notice or care. Maybe take a vid of you stepping thru the test and showing each bank of 3 lamps lighting could help one of the electonic whizzes here offer better suggestions.

The driver board is separate from the CPU. What I thought were the plugs for Lamps, turned out to be the plugs for the coils. Seemed when I moved those, the lamps would come back on if they went out. But turns out they are not the right plugs. So those are the plugs I redid the pins on.

I do notice there is a buzzing coming off the driver board, that goes with the lights. then the lights will go completely out (matrix lights only) wait for about 2 min then come back in. like something gets hot, cuts them out, cools down and comes back in.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

OK that does it... now I'm convinced I'll have to bring you my playfields in person! Gotta see this one.

and you drove right past me too. Like 15 min off your path.

#65 6 years ago

yea, i'm really happy with the overall package. Has a lot of similarities to addams family. I can tell they used it as a guide to make this game. From the modes you have, to the thing flips flipper. I just wished jupiter rotated around. But i'll be making a mod for that. Probably just buy a DE death star motor system and throw it in.

#67 6 years ago

I don't think that will happen, considering this is the first one in 6 years i've even seen available. So I had to snag it and couldn't really be picky about it. :/ And it never went up for sale. I was contacted about it because people knew I was looking for one.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from blubboman:

Is that moon poop on the pop bumpers!? they do look cool illuminated.
Sweet pickup Neo!

yes, they look cool because they are in a soft latex red rubber material. So the deep cracks light up red from within. Really cool effect and makes them super durable.

I think the sound, sounds really good. Has nice deep tones to it. Speaker system is actually really well done.

#76 6 years ago

I wish. Only way this would be even better is if they threw a little, "eyes wide shut", partying somewhere in the mix.

#77 6 years ago

apparently, the manual for bike race, has a different CPU board than what IO moon has. so it's no use to me.

#79 6 years ago

it is kind of keyboardish, but not as bad as the MIDI jams DE did at those times.

1 week later
#82 6 years ago

I have the lamp matrix figured out. I have a couple of switches doing some weird stuff, once I get that figured out, new gameplay video coming soon.

1 week later
#83 6 years ago

for the other 2 owners in the US. Here is instruction cards if you want them

io moon instruction cards (resized).jpgio moon instruction cards (resized).jpg

#85 6 years ago

hell yes it is. there has been several games i've been playing for good 15-20 min on ball one, and end up with a 0 score going into ball 2.

#87 6 years ago

indy 500 and TOTAN have pretty steep penalties for tilting tho too. Since totan is all about bonus, and Indy 500 doesn't give you your mode scores until bonus.

3 weeks later
#88 6 years ago

Ok, here is an updated Video. Also added a planet rotation motor, so Jupiter slowly rotates. Which should have been in the game from the beginning.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rare-look-at-io-moon?tu=CaptainNeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.