20141222_174832.jpg
20140825_220253.jpg
20140825_220348.jpg
20140825_220352.jpg
20140825_220356.jpg
20140825_220400.jpg
20150504_200549.jpg
20150504_200536.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider presqueisle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 8 years ago

How did that all work? Why have two meters, did one display something the other didn't? What was the reason for sample games? Did they sell for less, or only offered in certain areas? Where do babies come from?

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

One meter counts coin drops, the other counts game starts. The delta is 'free games' (at least that's how I remember it). So one meter might read 80,000, and the other 60,000, indicating that of the 80,000 game starts, 20,000 didn't need a coin drop (i.e., they were replays). (I've got a sample Quick Draw, and that's about what the two meters read.)
Sample games were introduced to locations ~6 months ahead of production, to get additional play testing (I base this on looking at the date codes on the score motor casings between sample games and production games of the same title). Based on operator reports (they had a form to fill out; I've got a copy of one somewhere), Gottlieb could then tell how well the game was doing, how easy/hard it was to win games, if any additional bugs existed that needed to be addressed. Then adjustments could be made prior to production. Sometimes the changes were pretty significant, including artwork changes. The 50's/60's games seemed to have more changes between sample and production games than did the 70's games though.
It's a fun exercise to spot any differences between sample games and production ones. Some are fairly noticeable, others are quite subtle, and the later games usually don't have any.

Thanks for the history on that DF!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider presqueisle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rare-hit-the-deck-sample-game?tu=presqueisle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.