4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

63C7EE37-C0C8-4AEC-9001-81DE1AA0039C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yoko2una.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

actually, it’d be great if you did write a big review of JP because I have no clue why it is getting such high reviews in pinside. I had a few games at Pincinnati and it felt like any other Stern pin. Shots were maybe a bit tighter than other games. I also read through the rules in the Tiltforums - like every Stern pin - there are modes directed by rgbs, 4-5 multiball modes, some playfield multipliers and some wizard modes. Granted, the newton ball on the vehicle which changes which mode you play next and the right ramp feeding the upper flipper are nifty twists, but that can’t be it, right?
My theory up to now has been people are having a knee jerk reaction thinking since it’s Keith Elwin it must be great. The rating comments are not much help. I’ve had a chance to play Iron Maiden a bit more since there is one here in an arcade, it’s definitely a nice game with clever rules, truly innovative layout, not sure yet if I have to have one.
So what’s up with JP?

It gets high reviews for the following reasons...

1) it’s not a safe fan layout
2) it was designed for a more advanced player
3) 4 ramps, good loops, tons of combos

But equally as important...
4) the rules

The rules in this game are awesome, and similar to IMDN, there are multiple ways to attack it. Sure you have the map in the middle which may seem at quick glance as the only thing that matters, but there’s more to those than meets the eye (and not all that matters). Each paddock on the map can earn you unique features. Additionally there are carnivores and herbivores, having different levels of aggression. This is why the truck direction plays into strategy for advanced players. So even the rules are “immersed” more than something like GOTG’s “shoot green arrows this mode and red that mode, because... points”.

From there, similar to IMDN’s power features and something else I’m forgetting, JP has Trex modes and Control Room modes. Trex is linear I believe, and control room is selectable.

Then throw in Chaos MB, the raptor pit rules, the missiles, and some of the coolest spinner rules I can ever remember seeing (way cooler than a mystery super spinner award or lighting spinner for more points after a target bank is completed), and there’s a ton to unpack and digest before fully appreciating what’s going on here.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There are inserts that change color. There was a T-Rex chase mode where you had to shoot orange inserts, and they would flicker orange/white...in other instances they were green. I could have sworn the inserts for the car were sometimes white and sometimes red.

Interesting. I don't recall that at all. Not listed on the feature matrix for any model as well. I’ve only played 3 Pros so far but just don’t recall that happening.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Not sure I understand what you are talking about. The dinosaur arrow inserts are constantly changing colors: white, yellow, orange, red, blue, green all communicate different things to the player. If an arrow has multiple colors, it cycles through them.
More info can be found here:

I just watched the DF stream of the Pro on YT. There were about 8 inserts which could change color. I guess I didn't remember them since the middle of the PF is all single-color inserts. RGB (anything) is not mentioned on the feature matrix of any model which also I think made my mind's eye think there weren't any.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Bad news and first I’ve read of the later/no post art runs also having clear issues.

In the PF issues thread, there's a newer run (no artwork around posts) JP Pro where the clear chipped after 15 plays. Seen it in person.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aldie, VA
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

8,599 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, MA
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.00
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yoko2una.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rare-hero-eats-crow-my-apologies-to-stern-jurassic-park?tu=Yoko2una and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.