4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

63C7EE37-C0C8-4AEC-9001-81DE1AA0039C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I’m sure this post will elicit a group “well f’ing DUH” ...but, I have to apologize for writing off Stern’s JP from the initial reveal. The voices and art turned me off, and since I haven’t really dug any Spike era games, I figured this one wouldn’t be any different.

Today I finally played a JP Premium at snaroff ’s house.

Holy. F’ing. Crap.

I was a F’ing A-hole.

What a phenomenal game.

Not gonna write some big review, cuz you guys already know what’s up with this game. But wow. Keith Elwin is a gaddamn American treasure. Everyone involved with this game deserves all the microwave burritos & TWIPYs. Anyone who was cynical and skeptical like I was, try to play one. Feeling this game in action erases the surface nitpicks completely. The design is bonkers fun. Every shot, ramp and combo feels satisfying and new. The sound design is cinematic and exciting. I can’t say I understand the rules yet, but it has that up-front fun factor which makes me want to keep playing to learn the nuance. I picked up on a bit of it, and what was there was fun. The concepts seem new, but still feel firmly pinballish. The T-Rex is awesome...probably the most “alive” character toy since Red & Ted. Loved the raptor paddock & all the little trap posts everywhere.

Dang...haven’t been this impressed with a game in a long time.

Seriously...sorry to everyone I badgered about this game when I wrote it off as “just another Stern”...nope, no way....I get it now. Absolutely special, masterclass in design, first class pinballing. Smile-on-your-face FUN.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Yay!
Up next do you secretly love the nineties throwback of dialed in?

Hah...I’m relatively neutral on DI. I enjoy it...it has some unique, unexpected things about the layout. I’d play one if it was in front of me. I don’t think I’d ever love it like I do a bunch of other Lawlor games.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

actually, it’d be great if you did write a big review of JP because I have no clue why it is getting such high reviews in pinside. I had a few games at Pincinnati and it felt like any other Stern pin. Shots were maybe a bit tighter than other games. I also read through the rules in the Tiltforums - like every Stern pin - there are modes directed by rgbs, 4-5 multiball modes, some playfield multipliers and some wizard modes. Granted, the newton ball on the vehicle which changes which mode you play next and the right ramp feeding the upper flipper are nifty twists, but that can’t be it, right?
My theory up to now has been people are having a knee jerk reaction thinking since it’s Keith Elwin it must be great. The rating comments are not much help. I’ve had a chance to play Iron Maiden a bit more since there is one here in an arcade, it’s definitely a nice game with clever rules, truly innovative layout, not sure yet if I have to have one.
So what’s up with JP?

A couple people already explained it better than I could! For some, simply - it felt great. Every shot felt great, linked to multiple other shots that felt great. Geometry just had nothing goofy about it to complain about. Each shot had multiple purposes to exist, which added to the satisfaction.

I won’t argue with those who love Maiden...for whatever reason I could never get a hang of it or get a feel for the shots and flow. JP on the other hand, after a few games felt “just right” to me.

Quoted from TomGWI:

Great game. Terrible clear coat.

That always seems to be a crapshoot with Stern. I’ve been very vocal about cratery playfields...the particular machine I played looked very nice still after a few hundred plays. Still, that’s going to be the reason I’m not gonna just run out and order one. I’ll keep my eyes open for a used one I can check out first.

Quoted from Yoko2una:

PS - I also believe neither the Pro nor Premium have any RGB’s so the quoted comment about following colored RGB shots don’t even apply to this game.

There are inserts that change color. There was a T-Rex chase mode where you had to shoot orange inserts, and they would flicker orange/white...in other instances they were green. I could have sworn the inserts for the car were sometimes white and sometimes red.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

well top banana for admitting you where wrong - waiting for you to play stranger things now

I’ve said I’ve wanted to play Stranger Things Prem due to the interesting projector gimmick. Not really interested in the Pro, though.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Interesting. I don't recall that at all. Not listed on the feature matrix for any model as well. I’ve only played 3 Pros so far but just don’t recall that happening.

I played a Premium. I just looked at a playfield pic to refresh my memory - it shows white inserts for T-Rex & the car. Those are def color changing.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

One has awesome CC one not so much.[quoted image]

Which was good, which was bad?

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm so over these uber-complicated games that you have to watch a documentary for to really 'get' the rules. Probably explains why I only have Crescendo and Cyclone at this point. Deep games are great at home, but the first time I have to play one of these in a tournament, I'm going to get my ass handed to me, just like on IMDN, because either the rules are not understandable at a glance, or the points are buried so far down in the game, there's no practical way to get to them in a reasonable amount of time.
Like..I'm really sick and tired of having to play multiple 45 minute 2 player games of IMDN when I go to leagues or tournaments. And it happens every. Bloody. Time. I'm quite frankly afraid of JP ending up in the same bucket, but it feels less 'friendly' in regards to ball drains than IMDN. Might just be me.
I didn't need a guide for AC/DC or Deadpool or Tron, but I feel like even after hundreds of games on IMDN, I still barely have a clue what the f00k is going on with the scoring, and why some games are 600 million, and others are sub 100. JP...I haven't played enough games on to say the same, but I still feel like I'm just trying to hammer the paddock constantly, because nothing seems worth good points unless I'm stacking a multiball, and the shots just feel clunky to me. I dunno if it's poor flipper alignment at the place I have access to it or what, but that spot target behind the pops? It's damn near impossible to shoot.
I think ultimately...Keith is just designing games for himself. It just HAPPENS that there's enough buyers that agree with his choices to move them out of the factory. But, I'm not Keith, and I will never be Keith, because I don't have 40 hours a week to just play pinball anymore. I hope at some point he'll deign to do something a bit less 'clusterfucky', but in the meanwhile, think I'm just stuck with Borg (Tron and Met are my top modern games...so...).

I agree with you in spirit, but it seems to me like JP works on multiple levels & you can kind of play it the way you want. If you want to play for points strategies, you’ve got all that craziness...but with the map aspect of the rules, you can just play for progression, enjoy the various chases and rescues...”let’s see how far I can get”. That’s generally how I approach games, the points just come with the progress. I didn’t get Maiden...that’s a bit more “pointsy”, but JP seems to have a more grounded understandable aspect. I love TNA, but I don’t really know the “tourney way” to play...I generally try to just get through as many reactors as I can, and that’s fun for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aldie, VA
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rare-hero-eats-crow-my-apologies-to-stern-jurassic-park?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.