62FF3A90-F899-4445-AB1A-0C040B53BD66 (resized).jpeg
674B31EE-9D3C-43D2-B4CB-9CACA70C590D (resized).jpeg
04C8243B-A4FA-4611-9720-A977C9D6E3C8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20201123_194957782 (resized).jpg
828E2364-4045-4C65-88DD-F57CB614C573 (resized).jpeg
EE89058B-4441-45AB-A919-F2FA5D1A0F38 (resized).jpeg
AEB9597A-554D-4136-8FDC-B49387E64F2E (resized).jpeg
20191116_112552 (resized).jpg

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I thought a fun topic would be rare and hard to find games. This would also be a great place to share a photo of your rarest games! I think rare games have a place in a larger collection especially if they are not as fun as others. Do you have interest in rare titles of prefer to stick with your fun favorites instead? Share your thoughts.

I don’t think fun factor or price has anything to do with rarity, but, certainly a discussion point. IMO if there are much more than a couple hundred games made it’s probably not very rare. Then again, sometimes very had to find games fall in the rare category despite quantity of manf.

Of course there are other reare items to discuss, drawings, art, white woods, etc

Some games that come to mind
Varkon 90 units
Whoa Nellie 3 units (but then it was run by Stern)
Americas Most Haunted 150 units
Cosmic Carnival 25 units
Predator (I believe there are a couple units?)
Zombie Adventure Land (saw the original at a show, thinking only one?)
Addams Family Gold (does not meet my ideas of rare, but they seem very difficult to find)
Ice cold beer
BBB
joust

#3 3 years ago
b4a03c3120eeb23cb84534107360df8ddae4808b (resized).jpegb4a03c3120eeb23cb84534107360df8ddae4808b (resized).jpeg
#4 3 years ago

Sexy Girl - interesting backstory at https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2106

#7 3 years ago

Seems like it's been done. That "show-off-your-rareprototype-pinball-stuff" thread has a lot of what you want to talk about.

#8 3 years ago

Actually when I started that thread it was supposed to be about rare pinball STUFF, not games, as I thought that had already been done before. So if he wants to talk about just games then thats cool. My most rare games?

King Kong #009
Evel Knievel Em. 155 made
Mata Hari Em.170 made
Canada Dry, all went oversea's, only a hand full in the states
Iron Maiden, Classic Stern. Semi rare? One of those hard to find ones?
Charlies Angels Em. Sample game #001, Never seen another one in person.
BBB by IPB #67? Just under 200 made
1871 and 1876 M. Redgrave Parlor Bagatelle's
Peter Betres counter top card theme from the 1960's
1933 Worlds Fair Jigsaw
1935 Genco's Subway

Still looking for: Bally's Bigfoot and Log Cabin.

John

#9 3 years ago

I have a Rob Zombie (Love it by the way) and consider it rare (300). I guess Mousin’ Around and Seawitch are sort of rare as well. Nevertheless, a more rare title certainly has appeal to me. I have Houdini on my radar. I’d also like an America’s Most Haunted. There’s just something about not always being part of the masses. Looking forward to following the thread!

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I have a Rob Zombie (Love it by the way) and consider it rare (300). I guess Mousin’ Around and Seawitch are sort of rare as well. Nevertheless, a more rare title certainly has appeal to me. I have Houdini on my radar. I’d also like an America’s Most Haunted. There’s just something about not always being part of the masses. Looking forward to following the thread!

There are 3k Mousin' Around! and 2500 Seawitch.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

There are 3k Mousin' Around! and 2500 Seawitch.

Well, I did say “sort of” rare. You are also looking at numbers for when they were first made. Seawitch is 40 years old. How many of those 2500 are left? Just saying...

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Well, I did say “sort of” rare. You are also looking at numbers for when they were first made. Seawitch is 40 years old. How many of those 2500 are left? Just saying...

meh, if your idea of rsre is because of age then most games are rare.

Rare also doesnt mean fun. Have had too many rwre games that the only justification is because where will you see another.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

meh, if your idea of rsre is because of age then most games are rare.
Rare also doesnt mean fun. Have had too many rwre games that the only justification is because where will you see another.

Everyone needs to relax... I never said age makes a game rare. I said I had a pin with a run of 300 and then a couple that are SORT OF rare. I also never said rarity makes a game fun. Anyway, I’m going to gracefully bow out of this thread. I promise I will only come back if I have a pin that falls within the formal definition of “rare” that you guys come up with for purposes of this thread.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Everyone needs to relax... I never said age makes a game rare. I said I had a pin with a run of 300 and then a couple that are SORT OF rare. I also never said rarity makes a game fun. Anyway, I’m going to gracefully bow out of this thread. I promise I will only come back if I have a pin that falls within the formal definition of “rare” that you guys come up with for purposes of this thread.

Bit of a drama queen aren't we? Op posted games with only a few hundred or less and you start jabbering about mousin around. There are 245 listed owners of ma on pinside alone. Its not rare. Its not hard to find. Its a very good game, but its silly to bring it up in the context.

Rare is cosmic carnival. Beautiful game but no code to back it up. Wouldn't mind getting again, but at 4k its less a pin and more an art piece.

Ticket tac toe is rare and frankly should be gutted on site. The animations are fun but dear lord it was awful to play.

Punchy the clown is more of a redemption game by design but worlds better than ticket.

#15 3 years ago

This is what I call rare (one of a kind)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#16 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Bit of a drama queen aren't we?

So much for the fun discussion the OP was encouraging everyone to have. I’m sure you need to hear this for your ego, but clearly you are the expert. Please continue to educate me on the definition of rare.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

So much for the fun discussion the OP was encouraging everyone to have. I’m sure you need to hear this for your ego, but clearly you are the expert. Please continue to educate me on the definition of rare.

Only because I have a moderate grasp of english and the ability to understand concepts. Sort of like how you failed to grasp the concept of what leaving means.

Since you are struggling how about we start with the definition of rare. I know google is hard to find so here ya go.

(of a thing) not found in large numbers and consequently of interest or value

In short if you have 3000 of something and say less than 100 of another, which one is rare? Which one is of interest in this context?

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Only because I have a moderate grasp of english and the ability to understand concepts. Sort of like how you failed to grasp the concept of what leaving means.
Since you are struggling how about we start with the definition of rare. I know google is hard to find so here ya go.
(of a thing) not found in large numbers and consequently of interest or value
In short if you have 3000 of something and say less than 100 of another, which one is rare? Which one is of interest in this context?

I have a better question for you. Who cares? Why does it matter so much? It’s just a frivolous discussion on pinball. Besides, there’s lots of concepts you fail to grasp. Let’s start:

1. You fail to grasp the concept of simply being pleasant.

2. You fail to grasp that “rare” is a relative concept.

3. You fail to grasp that an item can become “rare” over time.

4. You fail to grasp that pinball is a toy and is supposed to be fun.

I also question your self proclaimed grasp of English. Just read your post - incorrect punctuation, missed punctuation, sentences starting with lower case letters, etc. It’s pretty funny when considering all the bold statements you make.

#19 3 years ago

This is about as close as I get to "rare". I've also got a SlugFest with around 1500 made. Rare? You be the judge!

20200828_145857 (resized).jpg20200828_145857 (resized).jpg
#20 3 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

This is about as close as I get to "rare". I've also got a SlugFest with around 1500 made. Rare? You be the judge!
[quoted image]

Regardless of whether or not it's "Rare", Radical has pretty much the best ramps of any game out there!

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Regardless of whether or not it's "Rare", Radical has pretty much the best ramps of any game out there!

They feel reaaaaaaaaaal nice to hit for sure. Some of the most satisfying IMO.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

[quoted image]

You are about to get hammered by my main man Dung. I just got lectured on the definition of rare by him - See above. He’s very passionate about his definition. 1500 doesn’t fall within his definition so get ready to hear about it.

You have a beautiful pin.

#23 3 years ago

I'll throw this out too I guess. Not a pin but a 1970s wall hanging game.

20200829_212054 (resized).jpg20200829_212054 (resized).jpg
#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I have a better question for you. Who cares? Why does it matter so much? It’s just a frivolous discussion on pinball. Besides, there’s lots of concepts you fail to grasp. Let’s start:
1. You fail to grasp the concept of simply being pleasant.
2. You fail to grasp that “rare” is a relative concept.
3. You fail to grasp that an item can become “rare” over time.
4. You fail to grasp that pinball is a toy and is supposed to be fun.
I also question your self proclaimed grasp of English. Just read your post - incorrect punctuation, missed punctuation, sentences starting with lower case letters, etc. It’s pretty funny when considering all the bold statements you make.

You are right. I am not proof reading at 6am while writing in between sets at the gym. Just like how I won't as. I sit in the gym parking lot punching this into my phone before driving home.

Sorry, I don't buy into the fake veneer of niceness that pinside begs for. Don't like it, don't respond. It really is that simple.

Why do I keep responding? You come across as a kid who got too many participation trophies and feels they need to be included in everything. Your butthurt responses scream it which is sad, yet amusing. My collection is full of rare stuff. They are interesting, some are genuinely fun and under apprdciated. Many are, not really great games.

Most of the time there is a reason it is rare. Heighway games are electrical nightmares. Fun games, full throttle is really a sad case since its good. Alvin g's outside of mystery castle suffer from poor code, all suffer from cheap cabinets, awful paint, and fragile flipper mechs. Suncoast was amature hour, had to life the playfield to pull the coin box.

There are exceptions, but you are crying to be included in something that most of the time is mostly interesting merely because you don't see it often. If there were more pistol pokers it would be near worthless because the code is a skeleton due to alvin g closing as they made it.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

This is what I call rare (one of a kind)[quoted image]

Ummmmmmm, that's one hell of a collection of pins i must say!

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can agree, just wish all of them were available to replace. Also wish someone who has played a proto vs production would chime in on saying which is better? Is it worth converting a sample machine with the proto style ramp and proto cuts in the pf?

#27 3 years ago

This thread has all the discussion and eye candy sans drama.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

You are right. I am not proof reading at 6am while writing in between sets at the gym.

Then don’t brag about your proficiency with the English language.

Quoted from dung:

You come across as a kid who got too many participation trophies and feels they need to be included in everything

I’m 46. You come across as someone who is very short and is trying to make up for it by being a paper tiger. Talk about a cliche.

#29 3 years ago

British Table Soccer. Im sure there are more, Ive just not seen any.

table5 (resized).jpgtable5 (resized).jpgcoin (resized).jpgcoin (resized).jpgtable3 (resized).jpgtable3 (resized).jpgTable Guts (resized).jpgTable Guts (resized).jpg
#30 3 years ago

Ok how about this? Can I pick my prize from the top shelf.

#31 3 years ago

An Italian version of Phoenix. Possibly only 2 complete plus a set of boards left.

I hate video games so im selling it to a friend, but I loved having that artwork in the man cave.

20191115_174245 (resized).jpg20191115_174245 (resized).jpg20191116_112552 (resized).jpg20191116_112552 (resized).jpg
#32 3 years ago

Fun fact...

Allot of times things are "rare" because they tanked when they came out and didnt sell/ were not very good to begin with.

#33 3 years ago

Or, as I found out visiting a radio museum once, were built to be thrown away when they stopped working, so everyone did.
Guy said "Anything sold as a 'collectable', never will be....

#34 3 years ago

Rarest commercially made game I think I’ve owned.

AEB9597A-554D-4136-8FDC-B49387E64F2E (resized).jpegAEB9597A-554D-4136-8FDC-B49387E64F2E (resized).jpeg
#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Fun fact...
Allot of times things are "rare" because they tanked when they came out and didnt sell/ were not very good to begin with.

Tested bad on location..

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

that's one hell of a collection of pins i must say!

Not mine but from Randy Peck`s collection in the LBC

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from guard:

Guy said "Anything sold as a 'collectable', never will be....

Not alway the case, look at TAF Gold and the Collectors edition of PoTC.

#38 3 years ago

Rarest pins in my collection. Mata Hari EM , BLY Voltan, WMS Defender, GTB Asteroid Annie and Aliens, all less than 250-500 ea production

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

[quoted image]

How did you like it? Had a shot at one a few years ago, but not the funds at the time. Only other one I am kicking for missed out on is Verne's World. Was just a day later seeing the ad.

Quoted from Krupps4:

I’m 46. You come across as someone who is very short and is trying to make up for it by being a paper tiger. Talk about a cliche.

Only 33 and somehow I don't manage to throw a tantrum, claim to be leaving and yet keep talking. Height is 6ft. My gf is taller than me which I find funny. My height always seemed irrelevant. Good for getting things off the shelves, bad for cars/plane trips/and fitting tubs. Barely fit in my Abarth Spider so being a couple inches shorter would be more of a positive. Not sure what this has to do with this thread other than you are grasping for anything to take the spotlight off your own insecurities.

To save you time. I'm not balding, greying, still fit into my high school jeans, am in a ltr, own my own house, own two cars, have a masters degree, have a stable career that both pays well and I enjoy. No I don't have kids and thankful for it. If you'd like to come up with any other excuses take it up in a pm or feel free to come out to independence. I'll give you a beer and we can play a few of the multiple rare machines I own, and can point out why there is probably a very good reason they are rare (market conditions, unstable company, unreliable, better games available at the time).

#40 3 years ago

I think it’s really neat for what it is.

Love the art, theme, and sounds. Layout is also great. Similar to Addams Family.

Rules are very basic and not everything is polished completely, hence the for what it is.

Side note...I’ve really wanted to spend some time with a working Vernes World. Never had the chance. Making that a 2021 goal.

#41 3 years ago

Rarest game in my collection is a Stern 24. Don’t think anyone has a true exact number of games made, but it’s rumored to be around 200. Not a game that pops up very often.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I don't manage to throw a tantrum

Are you oblivious to the fact that you are the one throwing the tantrum now? Anyway, enjoy your day and congrats on your “rare” machines. I’m sure they are all awesome.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Are you oblivious to the fact that you are the one throwing the tantrum now? Anyway, enjoy your day and congrats on your “rare” machines. I’m sure they are all awesome.

The current ones are pretty fun.

Would I pay what Alien is going for? No, but I am not into mine for near what they sell for. Is it one of the best games I have ever played? Sure, but I can get 2 top 10 games for it. Its also like maintaining a 90's Ferrari. A pain and expensive. Full Throttle on the other hand is a fun game, is a bargain at 4k compared to what else you can get for the money. It also doesn't have near the headaches of Alien. It is easier to work on (lacks power issues, the pcbs under the playfield are much smaller and easier to get in/out).

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I think it’s really neat for what it is.
Love the art, theme, and sounds. Layout is also great. Similar to Addams Family.
Rules are very basic and not everything is polished completely, hence the for what it is.
Side note...I’ve really wanted to spend some time with a working Vernes World. Never had the chance. Making that a 2021 goal.

Have never seen one in person. I do however love a lot of the oddities from spinball. Their way of keeping balls from falling out when the playfield is raised was the best of any of the 90s games. Simple and effective. Their lightboards that can swing either way in the backbox was also pretty brilliant.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Fwiw, my post with the numbers wasn't meant as a dig. I just don't think those numbers would be considered rare by many around here. Especially when there are so many games with say less than 100 made. Yes, many Seawitches have met their maker, but I still wouldn't consider it rare. If it's on your rare list, cool. Happy to agree to disagree.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Fwiw, my post with the numbers wasn't meant as a dig. I just don't think those numbers would be considered rare by many around here. Especially when there are so many games with say less than 100 made. Yes, many Seawitches have met their maker, but I still wouldn't consider it rare. If it's on your rare list, cool. Happy to agree to disagree.

I actually agree with you that Seawitch isn’t that rare. I was just tossing it out as a “sort of” after my Rob Zombie. I think 300 is pretty rare, but it’s certainly more than 10 or 100. I certainly respect your opinion.

#46 3 years ago

1 rare , 1 kind of rare ( at this point in time), 2 rare in the US, and 2 kind of rare (not really too rare but kind of difficult to come by these days)

EE89058B-4441-45AB-A919-F2FA5D1A0F38 (resized).jpegEE89058B-4441-45AB-A919-F2FA5D1A0F38 (resized).jpeg
#47 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

This is what I call rare (one of a kind)[quoted image]

I’d like one of those; how about a remake!!!

#48 3 years ago

Thanks to all that make this hobby fun and enjoyable. I appreciate those that can hold an adult conversation about pinballs rare titles, thoughts, and if they see a place for a rare title in their collection, instead of childish bickering.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

[quoted image]

Wow, I have never seen or played this in all the places I have been, shows etc. very cool!

4 weeks later
#50 3 years ago

for sale Joust 2 player (head to head - williams) > https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/104942

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rare-games-and-discussion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.