• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7CE2017F-C73C-4FEA-BAEB-68171C76D133 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Game lights up but won't boot

Blows F3 Fuse Power Module which is a 4 Amp and appears to be for the Playfield Lighting ?

I don't typically work on the older SS games so I'm trying to avoid hours of guess work if someone can point me in the right direction to start troubleshooting would be awesome !

7CE2017F-C73C-4FEA-BAEB-68171C76D133 (resized).jpeg7CE2017F-C73C-4FEA-BAEB-68171C76D133 (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago

fuse F3 is for the supply to your 5V regulator.

next to the fuse holders are 4 large diodes, CR5, 6 7 & 8 can you test these? My guess is one or more is shorted.

if in doubt replace them all with 6A ones, the original ones are 3A.

#3 1 year ago

The 5v snakes it's way all over the playfield as it supplies the voltage for all the opto boards. I spent weeks working on a Rapid Fire in the company lunchroom. It would blow the 5v fuse within hours of changing it. I finally found where it was pinched under the front apron. Of course by then the game was toast and management was ready to pull the plug.

If the fuse is blowing right away try unplugging the playfield. if the fuse still blows as Rikoshay says, check the 12v rectifier diodes. If unplugging the PF stops the fuse blowing trace the 5v wire, i think its orange, everywhere it goes looking for contact with metal.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks guys ! Will look it over and follow up here shortly

1 week later
#5 1 year ago

Update :

New updated Rottendog Board went in and still blowing same fuse F3

#6 1 year ago

assuming you mean new rectifier board? Got a pic?

with game off, unplug connector J3 on rectifier board, replace blown fuse with new one, turn game on and see if fuse blows.

if not then problem is likely to be on solenoid driver board, possibly internally shorted 5V regulator?
if it blows then it's on the rectifier board.

#7 1 year ago

Yes. new rectifier board.

Swapped out the solenoid driver board now as well with a fully working one and issue is continuing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rapid-fire-issues-blows-f3-fuse-power-module?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.