(Topic ID: 44759)

RANT! My best friend won't play pinball only Gears of War!!!

By FiveSixPyro

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I've known this guy since 3rd grade! You know the kind of friend where you don't call to see what's going on that night because no matter what you'll be the first to call IF something comes up. The guy that was with me when I tell new friends of all the crazy stories from growing up or when we were young adults (college years).

I have been in touch with him on and off for a few years but he had no car and lived in the city. He comes back home and it's been awesome. Telling our stories to others and catching up. When we were kids all we did was play Street fighter, mortal combat and eventually Quake 3 on PC. I mean if I ever had a friend that loved any and all gaming it should be him. He pops over and has absolutely no interest in my machine. Not even "i'll play a ball" just out of curiosity. Just a lecture about how the new Gears of war is about to come out (it's out now). Instead of coming over, having a few beers and playing some pinball he'd rather me buy an X-box that I don't have knowing a new system is coming for this coming Christmas. The best part is his argument is that we can both be home and play. I love shooters. I had a long quake 3 addiction. I mean like wake up at 5 am to pee and deciding to play till 10 am type of addiction. WHY CAN'T MY FRIEND PLAY PINBALL!

I even told him to come where I play in my league because they have all the old fighting arcade games he would go broke using when we were kids. Nah, he wanted to know if they have x-box or ps3. I don't expect him to LOVE pinball and be obsessed in an instant. It just doesn't make any sense that he has absolutely no interest in even ONE PLUNGE!

HELP!

#2 11 years ago

Most of my friends/family/kids don't care about pinball either...welcome to the club...most people just don't "get" it...

I have however gotten 2 of my close friends addicted, and they both own machines now

#3 11 years ago

I will succeed eventually! I am lucky enough to have someone that brought me into the hobby so I have someone. I'm just flabbergasted that a true "gamer" that loves all games treats pinball like a biohazard! Heh. You're right, I don't expect any pinball love. I just don't understand this scenario!

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

WHY CAN'T MY FRIEND PLAY PINBALL!

He can and will. You just need to use the right bait. With guys, it's easy. First start by consuming numerous beers (make sure your friend has a few too). Then, because you're dealing with a game, just introduce gambling in the equation. Bet him $10 he can't score 10M on LOTR in 3 games, including extra balls. Make sure to mention that he can play the extra balls. That's your hook. Even if he has no clue that pins award extra balls, just the thought that he could get an extra one will be enough to suck him in. Guys really are suckers. If you sell it right, he'll be all over it.

#5 11 years ago

Ahhh, as a poker player I should have thought of that! But then again, poker isn't gambling. It's a game of skill! muahahahaha (scoops pot )

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Most of my friends/family/kids don't care about pinball either...welcome to the club...most people just don't "get" it...
    I have however gotten 2 of my close friends addicted, and they both own machines now

same here,except that don't own any

#7 11 years ago

You really shouldn't be all that surprised at this. Just because he likes video games doesn't mean he'll enjoy pinball.

My guess is it's a familiarity thing - he has none. No experience with pinball, doesn't understand the rules and thinks even if he did he'd suck at it and you'll kick his ass.

He needs an opportunity to try it without any pressure. Even then it just may not be his thing but you got to give him an opportunity to find that out. Get him started while you're off doing something else for a while and see if there is just a little spark there.

This is where a game with simple objectives is nice. Less intimidation and obtainable goals are the ticket.

Good luck!

#8 11 years ago

Sounds like you left console games and he stuck with it.

#9 11 years ago

A friend of pinball is a friend of mine.
    Not a friend, then not of mine.

#10 11 years ago

Most of my friends/family have never tried pinball before, my first game was IM and only 2 friends were interested in the game for a week maybe, after that they just lost interest.

I saw one of my friends playing and I asked if he knows what to hit, and he said No, even if I try to explain the rules, they start yawning lol

#11 11 years ago

Most of the time all it takes is one game to get the uninterested, interested. Seems to be the case with my family and friends.

#12 11 years ago

I thought I had friends like this, but I slowly worked them into liking pinball. You can do it, just make it a competition and give him a hard time about how much he sucks at pinball. Maybe he will want to prove you wrong?

My gamer friends love my machines. Wish some of them were good...freakin high scores have been sitting for a long time.

#13 11 years ago

I have converted many friends into the magical land of Pintopia. It takes clever coercion and sometimes just the right machine to spark their interest.

#14 11 years ago

My long life friends are all the same, they'd rather sit at home on xbox and talk over headphones. I have no interest in doing so. I've accepted it and just play myself at night when i get home from work.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

He can and will. You just need to use the right bait. With guys, it's easy. First start by consuming numerous beers (make sure your friend has a few too). Then, because you're dealing with a game, just introduce gambling in the equation. Bet him $10 he can't score 10M on LOTR in 3 games, including extra balls. Make sure to mention that he can play the extra balls. That's your hook. Even if he has no clue that pins award extra balls, just the thought that he could get an extra one will be enough to suck him in. Guys really are suckers. If you sell it right, he'll be all over it.

You nailed it. I just challenged them one night over some,many beers and now they ask to play a few times a month. One of them has even expressed interest in buying one.

#16 11 years ago

I have a ton of video game friends that are not into pinball at all and a ton of pinball friends that are not into video games. It's just how things are. Different interests for different people. The number 1 thing you shouldn't do is force the issue. If he tries it, cool. If he's not interested then he isn't interested. Believe it or not, pinball is not the end-all-be-all of game based entertainment.

#17 11 years ago

Many great points here! Mainly....

- no expectations
    - no pressure
    - Any man left alone for long enough in a room with a Pin will eventually play
    - Don't intimidate or try to explain the rules
    -gambling and alcohol + pinball = Tourny!

He's not just a console guy. We played quake online via interwebs. We loved playing time crisis at the mall and movie theaters.. I know if I called right now he would be down for a good game of mahjong, billiards or poker. I'm very thankful for the replies!

#18 11 years ago

I do play the most pinball in my family, and sometimes my father plays, but everyone else in my family could care less. When guests are over, I do invite them to play pinball.

#19 11 years ago

I work pretty hard at converting old friends to pinball. I have a couple converts who have bought machines and even more that love to come over and play. I think if each of us currently players convert two non-players into guys that have a pinball machine in their house then you are a good emissary to the hobby.

#20 11 years ago

It's pretty much 98% me and one other Pinsider that play my machines.

My son will fire up WCS once in a while. Wife and daughter don't touch them.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think if each of us currently players convert two non-players into guys that have a pinball machine in their house then you are a good emissary to the hobby.

Uh-oh... I feel several price discussion threads lurking that way....

#22 11 years ago

Make a Gears of War pinball, or retheme a pin to be Gears of War. It doesn't even need to be a *Real* pin, a future/virtual pinball Gears of War pin that he can play on his computer may be a good bridge from vids to pins.

#23 11 years ago

I don't get the need in having everyone love pinball. We all have different interests, video games are his and pinball is yours.
    I would say most of my friends do not like pinball, not even a little. They see ACDC and Tron and say "Hey, those look cool" but do not have an interest to play even one game.
    I also have arcade games and most people will play Donkey Kong, Pac man or Tapper right away and do so for hours.
    Different strokes for different folks.

#24 11 years ago

I love gears.

#25 11 years ago

i stopped playing xbox to play pinball. actually if i do play xbox i am playing pinball. its a pinball world for me

#26 11 years ago

until Terraria comes to xbox

#27 11 years ago

In best Yoda voice - "Wars not make one great . . . mmm"

#28 11 years ago

Who has Bioshock Infinite already?

#29 11 years ago

As the token Microsoft employee on here, tell your friend I truly appreciate his support of Gears of War. Now download some Pinball Arcade

Put new Pinballs in Tron, X-Men and X-Files last night. Didn't have time to even pull the plunger.

Tonight is family board game night. After the last couple of sessions Settlers of Catan, my son wants to play Risk.

Internet went down for us last night around 8:30 or so..... Got out my mi-fi.... watching clock get closer to 9. Put son to bed. Robbed Mame machine of USB wireless stick, put in PC. Bioshock unlocking was painfully slow..... Played Bioshock Infinite until about 12:00 (wife having Criminal Minds marathon thankfully!).

Best of luck on getting him to play some Pinball. Until I recently experienced it myself, I didn't believe their were people in the world who wouldn't even try pinball on free. But they're out there, I've seen them!

Very impressed with just about everything on Bio-Shock Infinite so far.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Who has Bioshock Infinite already?

My bro's Limited Edition box came yesterday, some sweet stuff in there.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

I'm just flabbergasted

You should fill up your car or sumthin'. Tssss...tsssss...

Double gas-caps!

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

You should fill up your car or sumthin'. Tssss...tsssss...
    Double gas-caps!

estsss that was a friggin good one!

Quoted from rockinganker:

I don't get the need in having everyone love pinball. We all have different interests, video games are his and pinball is yours.
    I would say most of my friends do not like pinball, not even a little. They see ACDC and Tron and say "Hey, those look cool" but do not have an interest to play even one game.
    I also have arcade games and most people will play Donkey Kong, Pac man or Tapper right away and do so for hours.
    Different strokes for different folks.

I don't expect to have everyone love pinball. I just look at it like a slot machine. Even if you hate slots if you went to your friend's house and saw a cool industrial slot... I think that you're more likely than not to pull the handle at least once. I mean it's human nature.. right?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rant-my-best-friend-wont-play-pinball-only-gears-of-war and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.