• 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Honch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

/first world problem rant

Just need to vent.

So, I have a nice MM. Could use new cab decals. Fully shopped, working 100%. Play field is great. Plays awesome, and I really enjoy the game. Currently have it on location, and the players are really enjoying it.

I had been thinking for awhile, self, why not trade this MM for a couple of awesome games? How about one decent game and some cash?

So, I put the feelers out, not advertising, but responding to a few 'Wanting to trade' ads I have seen. These ads are posted once in awhile by other players/collectors, and everyone I have seen includes all the 'A' listers (seeking MM, AFM, MB, etc.) "NO PINBALL MACHINE REFUSED. WILL PAY TOP DOLLAR"

I respond to the ad. "Hi, I have a nice MM that I may trade, what do you have?"

The response is very positive. "I have xx and xx and xx and xx, lets do this!"

I respond, "OK, how about xx and xx for the MM?"

The response, "Well, I was thinking xx for MM, straight across."

Really? So, we should do a straight across trade of LotR for MM?

Inevitably, they all decline any trade offers, even if I say okay to one machine, but would like some cash on top. Everybody seems to think they should be getting $8,000 for their machine (including an offer of a routed TSPP straight across for my MM), but they think my MM is only worth 6K, tops.

I now see one of the draw backs of owning this machine.

Moral of the story? Be careful what you wish for. You may end up owning a MM.

/end rant.

PS. You may replace the MM with any game of your choice. I have also been offered a straight across trade of a routed Comet for my TZ. No joke.

#2 12 years ago

Sounds about right.

#3 12 years ago

Absolute truth in here. Everyone wants one of the big dogs, but very few will actually pay what it takes to get one. Because their sensibility tells them that no machine is worth what MM is fetching, they won't entertain the true value. You should give them top value for their pins, and take it in the pants on yours.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Moral of the story? Be careful what you wish for. You may end up owning a MM.

LOL!

Try posting for your MM, instead of dicking around with people stating "wanted". For most, these lists are wish lists rather than actual machines they are willing to buy now.

If you post on kijiji or even Maaca, you should get someone who is serious. Good luck.

#5 12 years ago

Well if they check ebay for what they think their pin is worth...maybe? That does seem ridiculous though.

#6 12 years ago

There just not that serious then.. If they can get a bargain (or a sucker) then fine. T

heres plenty of serious people who would want a MM. Might just be better to sell outright, get the $$$ you want; and then buy your two/three pins.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

plenty of serious people who would want a MM. Might just be better to sell outright, get the $$$ you want; and then buy your two/three pins.

I think that this is almost always the best way to go.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Might just be better to sell outright, get the $$$ you want; and then buy your two/three pins.

That's something I considered, and even had a legit offer a week after owning it. We have a problem up here though, and that would be replacing it with anything. Seriously, I could have 20K in my pocket right now, and would have to wait months and months for a pin. Or, I could ship one up from the states, and end up tacking on about $1600 to the price tag for shipping, brokerage and taxes.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Try posting for your MM, instead of dicking around with people stating "wanted". For most, these lists are wish lists rather than actual machines they are willing to buy now.

Too true. I'm thinking of putting it up on MACCA. Still, the distance stinks. Shipping pricey machines makes me nervous, plus not being able to inspect the machines before hand (seller and buyer).

May just end up hanging onto it, and bringing it down to TG's pin/golf meet as trade bait.

#10 12 years ago

I don't know how much cash you have on hand, but it might make more sense to buy the new pins first and then sell your MM.

#11 12 years ago

Do you plan on going to any shows? IF you can make it to Chicago, you would sell it EASY there.

#12 12 years ago

Long drive!

Not in the cards this year. Maybe next year.

I think I may end up buying first, then trying to sell out right. I heard Stern may be doing another Tron Pro run. Can anyone confirm? Would the prices stay around the same as the last run?

#13 12 years ago

Hey Dog....never mind...PM sent..

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

/first world problem rant
I respond to the ad. "Hi, I have a nice MM that I may trade, what do you have?"
The response is very positive. "I have xx and xx and xx and xx, lets do this!"
I respond, "OK, how about xx and xx for the MM?"
The response, "Well, I was thinking xx for MM, straight across."
Really? So, we should do a straight across trade of LotR for MM?

At that point, you shouldn't even have responded. They are insulting your intelligence. Just +i them and move on. Don't answer any of their follow-up emails either. Simply totally ignore them as though you never got the message. Seriously.

Don't mess with the salvage/scrap flippers, akin to the "We Buy Gold for Ca$h!" pawn type guys. They are a waste of time, and want something for nothing. You have a MM, maybe the most desirable machine in existence to collectors, so why would you choose to deal with bottom feeders?

If you really want to move your MM, post it FT/FS on RGP or another forum. Then stand back a few feet, because your inbox will blow the F up!

#15 12 years ago

You are going to have to cast a wider net if you want anything more than lowballers. Those folks who perpetually have standing WTB offers out there are almost never looking to pay the going price.

#16 12 years ago

Agree with all the above posts. I was not going full bore with the sale/trade, just dipping my toes. If I was serious, it would be posted in all the usual places, more than likely it would have ended up in BC or Ont/Que.

Was like taking a stroll through the seedy under belly of the pin society! Though a few of the people that did contact me were legit collectors. They just ended up realizing they would actually have to give something up that had value to them, and got cold feet. I don't blame them.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

heres plenty of serious people who would want a MM. Might just be better to sell outright, get the $$$ you want; and then buy your two/three pins.

That might be a good option for any place else other than the "great pin void". Cash in hand doesn't always mean getting a pinball machine.

#18 12 years ago

Those guys who post those general want to buy ads are always full of crap. I mean, they will say things like "pay up to $1000 for any pinball machine," but when you search craigslist there are sub $1000 games. They are looking for steals or hoping people who don't know what they have will give their games away.

#19 12 years ago

Just had a response from "WILL PAY TOP DOLLAR, NO PIN REFUSED" guy, who is basically telling me my MM is worth 6K tops. Book value is $8475 for mint, he says, and good luck in selling my over priced MM to some sucker.

I told him if he finds any , in Canada, in mint condition for $8475, I will buy it today. Make that 2. And I'll buy all the 4K Afm and MB's he can find.

Don't feed the trolls?

#20 12 years ago

PM sent.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Those guys who post those general want to buy ads are always full of crap. I mean, they will say things like "pay up to $1000 for any pinball machine," but when you search craigslist there are sub $1000 games. They are looking for steals or hoping people who don't know what they have will give their games away.

Of course. People on Pinside and RGP aren't their target market. They're hoping the little old lady who has been sitting with a Fathom in her basement for 30 years will see their WTB ad and sell it to them for $200.

#22 12 years ago

I had a similar experience this week...

I mentioned that I would possibly trade my MM for a 'HUO LOTR and a big wad of cash' in a different thread and got a handful of PMs from people offering me things like "routed LOTR that appears HUO and $500".

Not trying to be a jerk, but needless to say I was pretty insulted with those offers and I did not even waste my time replying

Seriously What a joke...

#23 12 years ago

I ain't afraid of shipping.. what are you looking to trade for? I know guys out your way that can help

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

I ain't afraid of shipping.. what are you looking to trade for? I know guys out your way that can help

I'm not entirely set on anything at this point. I was literally testing the waters. This is the most expensive pin I own by far.

Shipping does not bother me either, but selling locally is the preferred route. No surprises that way.

I'm in no rush to trade right now. Spring is almost here (after the 5 inches we got this week, lol snowpocalypse) and golf season beckons. MM is happy as a clam, making me feel tiny and small since I have not won the Battle for the Kingdom yet.

I have received a few PM's from fellow Canuckistanians, so I will deal in order received.

I'm thinking I'll be moving it come April or May.

Now I just need to save up for the new Nike woods. Golf and pinball and poker. What other expensive habits can I get into?

#25 12 years ago

I "tested the waters" last year, was thinking about selling my 1978 Bally Star Trek.

Sent out some feelers, response was not what I was expecting. So you get to a point where you feel it's almost not even worth the effort to try and sale what you have.

What I did learn is that people getting offended at pricing on both ends of a sale, both with the buyer and seller.

Post something on CL and you get every swingin' dick with an opinion is gonna tell you what they think your pin is worth, so on and so forth. I didn't even post a CL ad, but reading every post about people's experiences here taught me to not even go there.

If I paid $1k for my pin WHY would I want to take a loss on it and sell it to you for less?

I'm at the point now, having 2 pins that if I buy it I'm keeping it. This way I don't have to deal with selling them. No way I'm taking a loss on them. I'll chop them up and burn them in a big bonfire before giving them away for less. Not...gonna...happen.

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Golf and pinball and poker. What other expensive habits can I get into? []

Expensive cigars and expensive hookers, those two can put a dent into a man's amex gold card.

I'm married, and that's two areas that are off limits for me. Your mileage may vary.

#27 12 years ago

Scotch and classic cars? At least you can get most of your money back with pins..

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from JWS64:

Expensive cigars and expensive hookers, those two can put a dent into a man's amex gold card

Hookers take credit cards now? Where do I swipe?

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from JWS64:

Expensive cigars and expensive hookers

Haha, I'm married as well. I guess being married may count as an expensive hobby?

#30 12 years ago

My guess is with MM if he sends out feelers the response will be fairly large.

Quoted from JWS64:

I "tested the waters" last year, was thinking about selling my 1978 Bally Star Trek.

Sent out some feelers, response was not what I was expecting.

#31 12 years ago

You people with your MM's think your so damn good

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Hookers take credit cards now? Where do I swipe?

...that's a loaded question if I've ever heard one.

#33 12 years ago

I know how you feel. Everytime I try to sell a machine I get low ballers, even on pinside....

#34 12 years ago

I haven't really received super bad offers, guess I've been lucky that way

What I had happen twice now is someone offers ME a trade and then that person drops off the face of the earth, and both times it was my IJ for semi-beater AFMs. What gives with that? How hard would it be to just say changed mind, things came up, got a better offer, decided to get latest Stern superhero/band/space pirate/ninja/vampire/zombie pin, your game is p00, etc?

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I have also been offered a straight across trade of a routed Comet for my TZ. No joke.

Comet is a super fun pin you know.

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

smokedog said:I have also been offered a straight across trade of a routed Comet for my TZ. No joke.
Comet is a super fun pin you know.

In all honesty, I'd rather play Comet than TZ. And I bought my mom a Comet last Fall for her BD. But then again, my dislike for TZ is no secret, and I acknowledge I'm in the minority here. (OK, B_R? ) And Comet is *really* fun. (My mom's Comet plays beautifully--strong, clean, smooth!)

#37 12 years ago

I owned a MM and found that it is a fun machine but it's really not worth what it goes for. I liked AFM better so I sold MM as I new it was worth more to someone else than it was to me.

#38 12 years ago

You always see the ads on craigslist -'we want your pinball machine will pay cash' or something like 'top dollar paid.......' and they turn out to be ebay sellers who will offer you $50-$100 and resell it for an arm and a leg.
I usually block the email address so I dont have to deal with them anymore - just part of the game. Giving enough time some one will come forward and 'man up' with a good offer,
MM is still a very sought after pin if you are serious in selling it it will move.

#39 12 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

BrianZ said:heres plenty of serious people who would want a MM. Might just be better to sell outright, get the $$$ you want; and then buy your two/three pins.
That might be a good option for any place else other than the "great pin void". Cash in hand doesn't always mean getting a pinball machine.

Too true LOL!
Nothing like being a pinhead in Canada eh?
Until I grabbed WH2O in Toronto a couple of weeks ago, most of my games had come from the US. Luckily I have some connections and can usually avoid the steep fees smokedog mentioned... but it really does suck. It's sad, but I'm willing to pay above market value for almost any local title I'm after and even willing to take it in lesser condition than a comparable US game just to avoid the hassle. Coincidentally, my MM was the only other game in my collection that came from Canada... but it was all the way out in Vancuver

#40 12 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

... but it was all the way out in Vancuver

That's quite a road trip!

#41 12 years ago

Trading or selling the game is wrong. Either way. No matter what you trade for, it will never earn what the MM earns. I bet many here would be surprised to learn that there are currently 13 MM on location in Portland right now. Why so many valuable machines on location? Because nothing earns better. Some MM's in Portland are nearing $100k in earnings. Nope, better to keep the game on location and slowly use the better earnings to get more games. Don't downgrade your earnings, stay at the top.

Secondly, you said your players are really enjoying it. Besides the decreased earnings, how do think those players are gonna feel if you pull MM? Having a MM at a location puts it ahead of all the other locations. Once you pull it, it will be just another location and you'll be just another op. Is that what you want?

How is the location scene in Saskatoon anyway? You're virtual top dog as-is. How's the competition? Big Drew Remenda fan here. Once heard him swear on the way to the head at a Shark's game. Had a smile on my face the rest of the game (while sitting right behind him and the other announcer).

-phish

#42 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Drano said:... but it was all the way out in Vancuver
That's quite a road trip!

Note quite
Still had to have it shipped, but at least I dodged the taxes/brokerage fees. I think it cost me $200 at the time. I thought I was nuts to pay just over $6K for that game. Glad I did now.

#43 12 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

How is the location scene in Saskatoon anyway? You're virtual top dog as-is. How's the competition? Big Drew Remenda fan here.

Hey Phish

There is no location scene here, I am it!

And you are right about MM being a proven earner. For now it's a wait and see thing. You guys are spoiled in that part of the country for pins on location.

Listen to Remenda pretty much every time I'm driving at that time of night. The guy makes me laugh. But he knows his sports!

#44 12 years ago

Nobody wants an even trade. It's all about getting the better end of the deal.

How much is your mm pulling in?

#45 12 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Nobody wants an even trade. It's all about getting the better end of the deal.

Actually all the PM's I've had since this post was made have been really fair. I guess that's what happens when you deal with other pinsiders! I hope to figure something out later this spring. I have responded to all interested parties.

Quoted from davewtf:

How much is your mm pulling in?

I'm actually out the door in a bit to go do my weekly maintenance and collection. This is only the third week on location, so I'm not sure how good the data will be, since I'm sure there is a 'newness' period each time I rotate a new pin into the line up. One thing is that the staff of the bar really like MM, so that helps the bottom line.

Tomorrow I am actually moving them to the back of the bar where the lighting is better. Currently the lighting stinks, and some people have complained of having trouble playing them. A side benefit is that the new spot has room for more pins! So hopefully I'll be going from 3 pins at that location to 5.

#46 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Do you plan on going to any shows? IF you can make it to Chicago, you would sell it EASY there.

A really nice MM sold at Expo last year for $7500, so my travel partner said (not confirmed myself)

#47 12 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

If you really want to move your MM, post it FT/FS on RGP or another forum. Then stand back a few feet, because your inbox will blow the F up!

+1 That's a fact. Last year when I was looking for a trade for my MM, the only problem I had was figuring out which "kick ass" offer I was going to take. MM is the ultimate pinball aphrodisiac.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rant-mm-and-something-for-nothing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.