(Topic ID: 318511)

Rank these Stern Pro Model

By UCFKnight71

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

I own a Deadpool Pro, my first real pinball machine, and I've had it for a year now. I still think it's a great game. However, I feel like eventually I will want something new. I don't have space for another machine, and I can only really afford pro model games. I've considered eventually trading my Deadpool Pro (not yet though) to have fun with another game. I play games on location whenever I can, but I've learned that it's hard to tell if you are going to like a game for the long haul unless you play it at home. Also, for some reason most of the arcades around me have either premium or LE versions of Stern games. Getting back into the hobby, I was surprised at how different some pro models play compared with Premium/LE's. For example, looking at Pinside's top 100, is Godzilla Pro really #1 alongside the Premium/LE's?

I know opinions are subjective, but hearing other people's opinions was helpful in me settling on Deadpool Pro as my first machine, and it was a good choice. With that in mind, how would you rank the following Stern Pro models:

Stranger Things
Godzilla
Deadpool
Jurassic Park
Rush
Mandalorian
Munsters (I've never played this one)

The Pro models I left off the list, I've played enough of to know that I'm not interested in them. From what I have played, Stranger Things and Godzilla would be my two most likely choices. The thing that worries me about Godzilla is how stripped down it is compared to the Premium/LE. I've only been able to play the Pro model a few times, so it's hard to tell. Anyone have a Godzilla Pro at home to compare with Deadpool Pro?

#2 1 year ago

Godzilla & Star Wars

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Godzilla & Star Wars

What is the difference between Star Wars pro and premium anyway?

Thanks!

#4 1 year ago

Godzilla
Jurassic Park
Deadpool
Stranger Things
Mandolorian
Munsters
Rush

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

Thanks!

Hyperloop which is really cool but I personally don't need it. Also shooter lane ball feed.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Godzilla
Jurassic Park
Deadpool
Stranger Things
Mandolorian
Munsters
Rush

Rush below Munsters pro?!

#7 1 year ago

Thanks!

Metal habitrals vs plastic.
Moving ramp to exploding death star.
Hyperloop. A giant metal loop around the entire playfield that shoots the ball around.
Physical ball save
Art

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Rush below Munsters pro?!

To each there own. I personally am not a fan of either, but play on both in a local league. Munsters is more approachable than Rush. Rush is deeper. Munsters is a better shooter for an average player in my opinion.

#9 1 year ago

Out of these, I’d say you miss the least with Deadpool, Stranger Things, and Rush as far as pro versus premium.

#10 1 year ago

JP
Maiden
GZ
DP
SW
Stranger Things

#11 1 year ago

Jurassic park for me. Though it would be maiden, not on your list

#12 1 year ago

I own GZ pro and have access to a HOU GZ LE, I do not think anyone is missing out that much between the two versions.

Yes the building and bridge mech are gone, but I feel like the flow is as good if not better on the pro (bring on the hate lol).

On that list I’d go…

GZ
DP
SW

#13 1 year ago

For some reason, I can't really get into Star Wars or Avengers. I wanted to love Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but it's kinda brutal and I can't find any flow. Iron Maiden Pro shoots well, but the theme does nothing for me. Anyone play much of Munsters pro?

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from UCFKnight71:

... Iron Maiden Pro shoots well, but the theme does nothing for me...

The best thing to do is rid yourself of the idea a theme has to be great for you to enjoy a machine.
I assume you like the Deadpool theme and you're ready to trade it or get a new machine; that will happen no matter the theme most likely.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The best thing to do is rid yourself of the idea a theme has to be great for you to enjoy a machine.
I assume you like the Seaport theme and you're ready to trade it or get a new machine; that will happen no matter the theme most likely.

Yeah, theme certainly isn't everything. With Iron Maiden, the gameplay just doesn't hook me, even though it is still a good game. I'd rather play Jurassic Park or Godzilla for an Elwin game.

#16 1 year ago

Godzilla
Jurassic Park
Stranger Things
Deadpool
Munsters
Mandalorian
Rush

#17 1 year ago

I own them all except Munsters haven't gotten one yet, I also have weird taste it games lol for me personally though.
Iron Maiden
Deadpool
Rush
Jurassic Park
Mandalorian
Godzilla
Stranger Things
Munsters

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from UCFKnight71:

With that in mind, how would you rank the following Stern Pro models:

Stranger Things
Godzilla
Deadpool
Jurassic Park
Rush
Mandalorian

Since it's Pro's only...

DP
JP
GZ
STH
Mando
Rush
Munsters

And the middle 3 are basically a tie. GZ for best layout and code, STH for atmosphere and theme, and Mando for an overall total package.

#19 1 year ago

Godzilla
Jurassic Park
Deadpool
Stranger Things
Rush
Mandolorian
Munsters

#20 1 year ago

Munsters seems low on everybody's lists! Godzilla, Deadpool, Stranger Things and Jurassic Park all seem like the best options. Since I already have Deadpool, I guess the other three are my best options. Stranger Things is probably going to increase quite a bit now that it is retired.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Munsters seems low on everybody's lists!

It's a very basic bitch for sure.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's a very basic bitch for sure.

Lol! That's what I hear!

#23 1 year ago

Thanks!

About $3000

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Munsters seems low on everybody's lists! Godzilla, Deadpool, Stranger Things and Jurassic Park all seem like the best options. Since I already have Deadpool, I guess the other three are my best options. Stranger Things is probably going to increase quite a bit now that it is retired.

The reason I’d go premium on JP is the pinsider project that added in movie assets. Stranger Things has a massive price gap in the jump to premium for a neat projector and a lock that can be tough to get working reliably. Godzilla is the flavor of the minute so they may flood the market when the next big title is announced.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

The reason I’d go premium on JP is the pinsider project that added in movie assets. Stranger Things has a massive price gap in the jump to premium for a neat projector and a lock that can be tough to get working reliably. Godzilla is the flavor of the minute so they may flood the market when the next big title is announced.

Actually... I just looked into it. There are 1497 Godzillas of all models registered to owners on pinside. This would make it the 5th most owned pin of all time according to pinside if they lumped pro/prem/le together. This is comparing it against machines with 20,000+ produced like Addams

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/various/owners

#26 1 year ago

GZ pro is a monster. The things you're missing out on arent critical to game play
JP pro is great
Mando pro I really like. I like the encounters better than my LE

Stranger Things pro is a great game but missing too much.

For what it's worth, you could probably sell your DP pro for as much as it would cost to buy some of those titles premium editions.

#27 1 year ago

Maiden/Godzilla
JP
AIQ
Rush?
Stranger Things
Mando
Deadpool
BKSOR
Munsters

Premium/LE had been the same order, for me there is a big gap after top three to the next Elwin game (and the rest).

#28 1 year ago

I played a lot of Rush pro before I played a lot of Rush premium. The premium really doesn't have much to offer over the pro tbh. Its a good game regardless. I'd much rather have a rush pro than a star wars pro. That said, I'd probably go for a Godzilla pro over anything else.

Consider:
Godzilla
AIQ
Rush
JP

Wouldn't consider:
Star wars
Munsters
Stranger Things
Mando

#29 1 year ago

So you're limiting yourself to just Spike games?

Iron Maiden
Jurassic Park
Godzilla
Stranger Things
BKSOR
Deadpool
AIQ
AEROSMITH
RUSH
MANDO
Star Wars
Munsters
TMNT
LZ

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

GZ pro is a monster. The things you're missing out on arent critical to game play
JP pro is great
Mando pro I really like. I like the encounters better than my LE
Stranger Things pro is a great game but missing too much.
For what it's worth, you could probably sell your DP pro for as much as it would cost to buy some of those titles premium editions.

I feel like the value of Deadpool Pro actually went down after Stern recently put it on the line again. It will probably go up some though when the current supply runs out.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from acedanger:

So you're limiting yourself to just Spike games?
Iron Maiden
Jurassic Park
Godzilla
Stranger Things
BKSOR
Deadpool
AIQ
AEROSMITH
RUSH
MANDO
Star Wars
Munsters
TMNT
LZ

Not necessarily, just games I've played or want to play. I eliminated some games like AIQ because I've played enough of it to know I don't like it.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from UCFKnight71:

I own a Deadpool Pro, my first real pinball machine, and I've had it for a year now. I still think it's a great game. However, I feel like eventually I will want something new. I don't have space for another machine, and I can only really afford pro model games. I've considered eventually trading my Deadpool Pro (not yet though) to have fun with another game. I play games on location whenever I can, but I've learned that it's hard to tell if you are going to like a game for the long haul unless you play it at home. Also, for some reason most of the arcades around me have either premium or LE versions of Stern games. Getting back into the hobby, I was surprised at how different some pro models play compared with Premium/LE's. For example, looking at Pinside's top 100, is Godzilla Pro really #1 alongside the Premium/LE's?
I know opinions are subjective, but hearing other people's opinions was helpful in me settling on Deadpool Pro as my first machine, and it was a good choice. With that in mind, how would you rank the following Stern Pro models:
Stranger Things
Godzilla
Deadpool
Jurassic Park
Rush
Mandalorian
The Pro models I left off the list, I've played enough of to know that I'm not interested in them. From what I have played, Stranger Things and Godzilla would be my two most likely choices. The thing that worries me about Godzilla is how stripped down it is compared to the Premium/LE. I've only been able to play the Pro model a few times, so it's hard to tell. Anyone have a Godzilla Pro at home to compare with Deadpool Pro?

Let me ask you this as it will greatly change what we recommend. Have you ever beaten JP? Have you gotten to the Control Room? Are you just capturing dinosaurs over and over because you never make it to the end modes? Some games have much more at the end than others.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Let me ask you this as it will greatly change what we recommend. Have you ever beaten JP? Have you gotten to the Control Room? Are you just capturing dinosaurs over and over because you never make it to the end modes? Some games have much more at the end than others.

I've only played JP on location and never came close to beating it. I did think it was a fun game. Had more fun with Godzilla and Stranger Things though...

#34 1 year ago

Most arcades by you are prem/le?! What a great problem! Also I know budget is important but if you can somehow find the low trim EHOH it blows all those pros out of the water!!!

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

Most arcades by you are prem/le?! What a great problem! Also I know budget is important but if you can somehow find the low trim EHOH it blows all those pros out of the water!!!

I would love an EHOH, but way out of my budget! I do get to play it often on location. Yeah, it is nice playing Premium/LE's that I can't afford, so I'm not complaining! It's always sad seeing a tore up, routed LE though.

#36 1 year ago

So I’ll rank all the latest Stern Pro games in my opinion. Sure no one will agree, but here’s my reasoning..You’ll see I’m biased towards one designer…

Top tier

Godzilla- has everything. Flow, music, depth, rules, fun.
AIQ - (not on your list?) - great home game. Not as great on location. Once you learn most of it just a great game to play. Always find myself wanting one more game.
Iron Maiden- theme not for me. But a great game.
Elvira HOH- straight up fun. Wish I could get one.
Deadpool- great for everyone. Easy to beat.
JP- great game. Shots, moments, feel.

Middle Tier

Stranger Things - easy, not deep enough for home for me.
Mando- Fun once you understand most of the rules. If a few more shots flowed better I’d own one.
TMNT- Pro better than Premium. Just a middle of the road pin. Co-op modes are fun to play.

Lower Tier
Rush- just not for me.. - missing flow of Elwin games.
LZ- just not for me… not deep enough for home use in my option.

#37 1 year ago

Thanks!

Main difference is the hyper loop which is a big wire form racetrack that speeds the balls around suspended above the PF. It’s a show stopper imo and while I think SW pro is great the premium just takes the cake. Best toy ever or up there with the best. Also has a death star that breaks open and a right outlane diverter to save the ball plus some molded toys.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from UCFKnight71:

I would love and EHOH, but way out of my budget! I do get to play it often on location. Yeah, it is nice playing Premium/LE's that I can't afford, so I'm not complaining! It's always sad seeing a tore up, routed LE though.

I guess some Elvira is better than no Elvira I haven't even sniffed one on location here in Wisconsin and this is slowing becoming pinball heaven I had to buy one blind last year and wow what a game! Only thing I could suggest is next time you see one of those broken down beat up EHOH make an offer you might be surprised the operator may just be as sick of the upkeep as Stern is as sick of making them. Happy hunting!

#39 1 year ago

I'm a Pro Guy. I always say that, and I tend to like the Pro versions of games better. I always have.

So that said, it depends. From your list, I rank Godzilla and Deadpool as 1 and 1a. But you never know which will be which.

1. Godzilla - This game shocked me with how good, and how frustrating it is. I have good games and bad games on it, but I enjoy all of them. The game is a masterpiece of fun, code, theme integration, and fun (yes, I listed fun twice!). Every once in a while Stern puts out a game that transcends the other games. Godzilla is one of those games. I still feel like I'm only starting to get to know it.

1a. Deadpool - Even rating GZ above DP in this list, DP is still my favorite game. I love the humor, and every time I play it, I have FUN! The rules aren't that complex, and I know how to blow the game up, but I just usually mindlessly play it. I laugh and enjoy the experience, and that is so rare that it will stay here for a very long time.

3. Rush - I really didn't like it the first times playing it. But I have to admit, it grew on me. It MUST have the new fixes for the cliffys and front gobble hole. That physically changed the game for me. If you have a rush without the new parts, get the parts from Stern. I felt it improved the game. Liking Rush helped a bit as well, but overall, I liked playing it.

4. Jurassic Park - I don't like the game that much... however, it is a good game. And I can recognize the difference between my not liking to play a game, vs if it is a good game or not. If you're missing shots, JP is an annoying game.

5. The Mandalorian - I cannot believe I'm rating it this high. Personally I think the game is a mess. I don't like the shots. I don't like the physical layout of the game, and I didn't much care for the software. I liked the TV show, but the game just didn't cut it. It is not a great game at all. I keep playing it in hopes that one day I will like it more, but I doubt it.

6. Stranger Things - I'm not a fan of the show, and I didn't like the game. I don't think the mechanisms work great. I didn't find it much fun. Now I will grant you, I hit a roadblock with this game. The copy I play is brand new, but I can't get into it. And unfortunately I don't want to take the time to get to know it better. I have access to too many games that I felt are better. So ST just stays out in the cold.

27. Munsters - I am about to offend fans of the game. I know they exist, even though I have no idea why. This game is SO boring. I was excited when the theme was announced. I was a fan as a kid. And I was fine with the reveals. And then I playe.... zzzzzzz. Oh, sorry, then I "played" it, and was so bored I didn't want to finish the game. But it was release code, so it had to get better, right? So a few months later I ran into it again and gave it another shot. OMG, I was bored by the middle of ball 2. I tried it a couple more times since then, and every time was the same experience, boredom. So my advice on Munsters is that you damn well better determine if you are a fan of the game before plopping down your money. If you are a fan, have at it. But if you're not, that game is going to be a tough sell later.

None of these are wrong, because they are just my opinions.

#40 1 year ago

I’ve played all these pros on location…most of them actually just the other day on the boardwalk (and whomever is in charge of those shame on you, they’re disgusting…except mando) but you get an honest feel for the gameplay when you can’t really hear shit and mando shot the best…but maybe that’s because it wasn’t 5 years past due for a shop out
And turn on the f’n air up there…I was sweating buckets

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from Ender21x:

Rush- just not for me.. - missing flow of Elwin games.

Eh. Elwin games are built on great shots, but Rush has monster flow and combos for miles as well.

#42 1 year ago

I love the Stern pro pins but at my stage in life I’m willing to pay for the extras. DP premium not greatly different but has the small lift ramp that allows the right orbit to fully loop, has drop targets instead of stand ups. Overall not much extra but I’m willing to pay for such like the moving Dino on JP etc.

#43 1 year ago

1. Deadpool- Classic case of couldn't care less about the theme, but the game is just fun and exciting.

2. Stranger Things- Best theme of the bunch for me. Game doesn't completely live up to the promise, but theme keeps it in the top 3. And I got a Brian Eddy-signed Stern banner that I will always cherish.

3. Godzilla- Creative and innovative game. Not cold, but luke warm on theme.

4. Rush

5. Mandalorian

6. Munsters

7. Jurassic Park- Can't figure out why this game is such a big deal no matter how many times I try to "get it".

#44 1 year ago

Jurassic Park
Godzilla
Rush
Deadpool
Munsters
Mandalorian
Stranger Things

#45 1 year ago

I was surprised by how much fun I had with Rush Pro. I don't expect much flow on a John Borg pin, but I was nailing combos on it.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Eh. Elwin games are built on great shots, but Rush has monster flow and combos for miles as well.

Yeah what the hell on that comment. No flow?! Elwin fanboys are something else.

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Main difference is the hyper loop which is a big wire form racetrack that speeds the balls around suspended above the PF. It’s a show stopper imo and while I think SW pro is great the premium just takes the cake. Best toy ever or up there with the best. Also has a death star that breaks open and a right outlane diverter to save the ball plus some molded toys.

Wow, thanks for sharing this! Looks very cool for sure! I played a premium SW once in a arcade but could not hear it very well and didn’t get much done on it in the time I had.

#48 1 year ago

Great thread! I am new to pinball and own one pin also, so am always taking mental notes for future trade/purchase.
OP, I agree with your insight about the Top 100 use of pro vs premium, etc. I wish Guardians of the Galaxy or Ghostbusters was on your short list for comparison!

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from UCFKnight71:

I was surprised by how much fun I had with Rush Pro. I don't expect much flow on a John Borg pin, but I was nailing combos on it.

Yeah, me too. Rush Pro is a flow monster and enjoying the music and humor really helps. Was surprised by how much I enjoy it. Just traded to get something new to play and it's a longer term keeper for sure. (Traded Star Wars Pro for it) I did a massive DIY audio upgrade and it is a tremendous experience.

#50 1 year ago

From best Pro to worst:

#1 Deadpool (Pro)

#2 Stranger Things (Pro)
#3 Jurassic Park (Pro)
#4 Godzilla (Pro)

#5 The Mandalorian (Pro)

#6 Rush (Pro)
#7 Munsters (Pro)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, NH
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.95
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rank-these-stern-pro-model and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.