“What is your choice to make?”

• Skateball 12 votes
    41%
  • Elektra 2 votes
    7%
  • Flash Gordon 15 votes
    52%
  • I do not like any of these machines. 0 votes

(Multiple choice - 29 votes by 28 Pinsiders)

#1 3 years ago

I wanted to see players opinions on these 3 machines. Not nessecarily to own, but perhaps you enter a room and these 3 machines are present. What are you eager to play?

I have played Flash Gordon and Skateball lately. Elektra, it has been a few years.

I'm interested in seeing what people favor about each game, and what they dislike about each game.

Are you familiar with them? How would you rank these 3 machines in regard to ruleset depth? Is there nice variety in ways to score? Or are there any examples of unbalanced scoring? I have been playing and watching ruleset videos of all three machines. I feel like I am becoming more familiar with them than before, but would also welcome more clarity.

I like all three machines. Are you a Bally-believer like me or do you hate all 3? Rank in your post and vote in the poll! (Multiple choice vote allowed.)

#2 3 years ago

This is very easy for me.

Flash Gordon - all time great, neve gets old, fun to play with peeps or by yourself
Skateball - fun game, great player
Elektra - bottom handful of Ballys for me. Dont like the layout, bottom PF is just boring to me. Looks great and all that but no thanks, I just don't get it

#3 3 years ago

Like all three, owned two of them (Flash Gordon and Skateball).

In order of what I am eager to play if I saw these three next to each other and they are on free play
1)FG - something about the brutality. (I still own it)
2)Skateball - great layout and a lot of fun.
3)Elektra - fun title, but someone has to get last.

If I have to pay for play...FG may only get one or two credits. Games are just so quick most of the time

#4 3 years ago

Love this era. Not hard to tell if you look at my list.

Flash was my first experience with Pinball sadomasochism. Our local Pizzeria had one when I was a kid and let me tell you, most kids stopped begging their parents for quarters to play it right quick. But I could never get enough of Ming abusing me and then inviting me to 'Try Again, Earthling'. Learning how to plunge up a proper serve to the upper flipper was probably my first ever pinball lesson.

Skateball is just straight up Bally bliss to me. I am completely in love with bottom of that machine and if it had 3-4 Skill Shots in it...hell I could put 5 in there without blinking an eye...it would be a top 3 machine for me. I am always trying to make a clean plunge to the outside-inlane and hit the saucer or the spinner. Even without a special award, it's just too much fun to do to not try.
It is always one I will play multiple games on in any lineup I see it in. I will sometimes burn most of my night on it if it is setup well.

Elektra is one I haven't seen since I was a kid and can't say I remember much about it at all. Nothing really about its ruleset or its gameplay.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Love this era. Not hard to tell if you look at my list.

Yep. You and me both!

#6 3 years ago

Layup.

Flash Gordon by far #1.
Skateball 2
Elektra a distant 3.

#7 3 years ago

There are things I do like about Elektra, but I can totally understand how that layout is unfavored compared to the other two.

Wanted to see if any long time Elektra owners wanted to chime in? Why is it a keeper for you?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

There are things I do like about Elektra, but I can totally understand how that layout is unfavored compared to the other two.
Wanted to see if any long time Elektra owners wanted to chime in? Why is it a keeper for you?

I had mine for awhile, but it left just like many others. I didn't sell it because I didn't like it, it was just to rotate games out of a limited space. I thought the rules were pretty slick, but not really meant for the casual/newbie player, so I would often find myself trying to explain the rules to guests ("oh, these games have rules?") If you don't pay too much and put too much into it, give it a try. You can always sell an Elektra later, its not an extremely common game so someone is always looking for one of these classic Ballys.

I would only put Elektra at #2 because I prefer the artwork over Skateball, and I am somewhat biased being a former owner.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 179.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 99.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rank-these-3-ballys-flash-gordon-skateball-elektra and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.