• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th.jpeg
photo_11.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I have only heard stories, but never experienced it until 20 minutes ago. I had all the machines running, then went into the kitchen to wash my hands after putting my new XPin displays in my Taxi. 10 seconds later I hear KAPOWWW...PSSHSHSHSHHSHHssss...... and my first thought was something stupid like "SHIT! One of my games just exploded!!!" I run out to the garage, yank the surge protector cord out of the wall, look around the corner expecting to see smoke and fire, and there is glass EVERYWHERE. Seriously, everywhere. The backglass on my Police Force spontaneously combusted. The backglass was locked and I know it didnt fall out, the black plastic translite moldings were still standing upright with little bits of glass in them. Luckily it is easier than cleaning up playfield glass and it isnt screen printed, but I am also glad nobody happened to be playing it when it randomly detonated.

Dafuq was that all about?!

photo_11.JPGphoto_11.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Hmmm.............garage door open.

You sure a critter didn't get it ? Fly or run into it.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Do you have an ex-wife.....that was my first thing that crossed my mind !!!

#4 10 years ago

sorry man, i agree with LTG, there's gotta be a reason.

#6 10 years ago

It's also possible that the glass was not in just right and the lock tongue was putting excessive pressure on the edge of the glass. It's pretty hard to break tempered glass with head-on stresses.

#7 10 years ago

Big temperature change?

#8 10 years ago

Karma?

#9 10 years ago

?

th.jpegth.jpeg

#10 10 years ago

At least you had the playfield glass on when it happened and don't have to pick a million pieces of glass out of your game!

#11 10 years ago

Holy crap! I blame Obama

#12 10 years ago

It doesn't take any force/pressure on the edge of the glass to cause it to explode. Your backglass may have been in a slight bind.

#13 10 years ago

Just a scratch in tempered glass can change the tension and have it explode.

As strong as tempered is for impact, there is no free lunch.

#14 10 years ago

I had this happen to me with my Alien Poker machine. Only I had just put the head on the machine and slid the back glass in. I placed the back glass and the next thing I know.... there was glass everywhere.. i mean everywhere.. Im still finding specs of purple and blue here and there. My friend Mike was standing there was like WTF!?? It was almost like glass dust. The only thing I can think of is that it must have had a prior tiny crack somewhere prior to install.

#15 10 years ago

well at least it was only a piece of glass and not a silkscreened one.

4 months later
#16 10 years ago

I just had my Guns N Roses backglass literally explode as I was cleaning it. The translite was off as it was just autographed by Matt Sorum so no damage there... Talk about a surprise!
Now the question is where is the best place to get a replacement backglass for the correct size and I would assume beveled edges (I can't remember now it's in pieces!)

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I just had my Guns n Roses backglass literally explode as I was cleaning it. The translite was off as it was just autographed by Matt Sorum so no damage there... Talk about a surprise!
Now the question is where is the best place to get a replacement backglass for the correct size and I would assume beveled edges (I can't remember now it's in pieces!)

Any glass place will get you one. The price on glass seems to really change depending on who you get it from, though.

#18 10 years ago

Does anyone have the dimensions available on the Guns N Roses backglass and can recommend seller? I have no way of measuring as it's in 6000 pieces of glass dust.....

#19 10 years ago

Maybe it was the difference in temperature since it is likely cold in the garage; 70 degrees inside the back box with the lights on and 40 degrees in the garage.

#20 10 years ago

My pinballs are all in my basement at 68-70 degrees year round. I also have all LEDs in GNR so it's not running hot directly from the lights behind the glass. In fact, my glass hasn't been on the game for 3 weeks so there wasn't any temperature issue.

#21 10 years ago

is it cold outside?

#22 10 years ago

The good part is no one was hurt, and police force translights should not be too hard to find.

#23 10 years ago

Thanks guys for sharing info & pics about this topic.

So far, I've not had to endure a spontaneously combusting backglass.

#24 10 years ago

Had it happen to my Elektra backglass. just exploded in my hands as I was putting it back in. Still find the odd square of glass 3 years later.

#25 10 years ago

I would say its a temperature issue i found some games stored in a unheated warehouse for many years and several of the backglasses were broken also a couple of the playfield glass were broken. Maybe from movement of wood ?

#26 10 years ago

This is due to internal stresses and COE (Coefficient of Expansion) in glass with greater impurities. All glass is not the same and age and cumulative stresses can build up over time >> this is increased in glass that is not the optimal ratio of components when originally made or experiences large amounts of environmental stress.

Like Vid says a scratch can change the entire dynamics and shatter resistance of a piece.

More likely the spontaneous explosion is due to built up thermal stresses over time. The components in poorly made glass do not expand and contract in the same way/time when any amount of heat is applied or removed. Over years of some degree of continual thermal stress (like being in a garage where temperature fluctuates large amounts in short periods) the stresses can actually build up. Think of it like microscopic fractures and over time you finally hit a critical point of microfractures, then POP. It is science

(past life as a professional glass blower > both scientific and recreational)

#27 10 years ago

i know a professional blower

#28 10 years ago

All of what has been said is completely feasible. Tempered glass has stored energy. I had a clear glass Pyrex dish sitting on a Formica counter for about a week after it came out of the dishwasher, it suddenly exploded while i was in another room. A search on exploding Pyrex dishes turns up tons of events.

http://www.glazette.com/Glass-Knowledge-Bank-25/tempered-glass.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.00
$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/randomly-exploding-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.