You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (1) (resized).jpg
F-14 Matrix 001 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hello Guys!

I know my F-14 since I was born (15 years) and I love it since then! After 15 years we (my father and I) decided to restore the machine a bit (LEDs, new Rubbers, fix some Switches, etc...). We fixed the easy things and for the difficult problems we brought it to an expert.
But since then I've that horrible random Tilt from which many people are talking.
It happens nearly extactly like another Pinside user told (@Bok013). It happens when I play on the upper play field when I hit one of the TOM letters --> it Tilts and until I get the next ball the lights of one of the TOMCAT letters are going out.
But there is not only the Tilt that triggers randomly. There are many Phantom-Switches triggering when specific coils are working. Most of them trigger when pressing the right or left flipperbutton (EOS 15, 63). But also the left and the right sling (57, 58) and the bumper (28) provoke such a Phantom-Switch.
Often when I press the left flipperbutton the machine things that I hit the 'Kill Yagov' cave (55) without hitting it. But also the left + right drain (Kickback) (61, 62) + the Ball Shooter Lane (16) and the top left and/or right loop (47, 56) are triggering randomly.
Certainly the most annoying Phantom-Switch after the random Tilt is the middle and the upper ramp (31, 32) so that it shoots out the locked balls without having multiball. I think that this issue also comes when playing on the upper play field and hitting the right or left switch of the loop.

I am in e-mail contact with the expert where we brought our F-14 to and he speculates that one of the Chips on the MPU Board is not working anymore. He said that I should mark the Phantom-Switches on the Matrix and one line or column will be concerned. But when I mark the Phantom-Switches you can't see any pattern/line/column which could be concerned.

I uploaded the Matrix. The yellow marked switches are the ones wich are triggering randomly and the encircled switches are the ones wich provoke such a Phantom-Switch. (of course, there can be some faults in marking the switches but it should be roughly correct)

Does anyone has the same problem(s) and does anyone know how I can fix that problem?
I know, this sounds pretty difficult to fix but I would be very happy if you guys would awnser and tell me how I should go ahead with this problem.

(I apologize for my bad english skills )

Greets
Cedric

F-14 Matrix 001 (resized).jpgF-14 Matrix 001 (resized).jpg

2 years later
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Defender_LXIV:

Hello Guys!
I know my F-14 since I was born (15 years) and I love it since then! After 15 years we (my father and I) decided to restore the machine a bit (LEDs, new Rubbers, fix some Switches, etc...). We fixed the easy things and for the difficult problems we brought it to an expert.
But since then I've that horrible random Tilt from which many people are talking.
It happens nearly extactly like another Pinside user told (Bok013). It happens when I play on the upper play field when I hit one of the TOM letters --> it Tilts and until I get the next ball the lights of one of the TOMCAT letters are going out.
But there is not only the Tilt that triggers randomly. There are many Phantom-Switches triggering when specific coils are working. Most of them trigger when pressing the right or left flipperbutton (EOS 15, 63). But also the left and the right sling (57, 58) and the bumper (28) provoke such a Phantom-Switch.
Often when I press the left flipperbutton the machine things that I hit the 'Kill Yagov' cave (55) without hitting it. But also the left + right drain (Kickback) (61, 62) + the Ball Shooter Lane (16) and the top left and/or right loop (47, 56) are triggering randomly.
Certainly the most annoying Phantom-Switch after the random Tilt is the middle and the upper ramp (31, 32) so that it shoots out the locked balls without having multiball. I think that this issue also comes when playing on the upper play field and hitting the right or left switch of the loop.
I am in e-mail contact with the expert where we brought our F-14 to and he speculates that one of the Chips on the MPU Board is not working anymore. He said that I should mark the Phantom-Switches on the Matrix and one line or column will be concerned. But when I mark the Phantom-Switches you can't see any pattern/line/column which could be concerned.
I uploaded the Matrix. The yellow marked switches are the ones wich are triggering randomly and the encircled switches are the ones wich provoke such a Phantom-Switch. (of course, there can be some faults in marking the switches but it should be roughly correct)
Does anyone has the same problem(s) and does anyone know how I can fix that problem?
I know, this sounds pretty difficult to fix but I would be very happy if you guys would awnser and tell me how I should go ahead with this problem.
(I apologize for my bad english skills )
Greets
Cedric

[quoted image]

I’m having the same issues. Did you ever get this figured out?

#3 3 years ago

Bad resistor(+cap maybe too) networks in the switch areas of the MPU are fairly typical.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Bad resistor(+cap maybe too) networks in the switch areas of the MPU are fairly typical.

Great news. Did you have System 11 or 11A? I have an 11A which has 3 LEDs on the board. I think the resistor issues might be a little different between the two with this issue.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Lpilot1:

Great news. Did you have System 11 or 11A? I have an 11A which has 3 LEDs on the board. I think the resistor issues might be a little different between the two with this issue.

At some point an older board got put into my F14. I think it was out of a grand lizard so sys11? It has all the sound stuff in the top left area populated. Game would randomly tilt. Resistor network was replaced with discreet resistors and its been fine since then.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

At some point an older board got put into my F14. I think it was out of a grand lizard so sys11? It has all the sound stuff in the top left area populated. Game would randomly tilt. Resistor network was replaced with discreet resistors and its been fine since then.

I’ll have to ask my tech about that. Got a loss of ball tilt tonight.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Second that....this is the most likely cause

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index3.htm

If your phantom switch problem is on the CPU board, don't forget to look at the 1k ohm resistor pack SR10 on the CPU board. When this resistor pack goes bad, it can cause intermittent phantom switch closures. Use your ohm meter, and test the resistor pack. If in doubt, just replace it.

It looks something like this

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/random-tilt-and-phantom-switches-f-14-tomcat?hl=lpilot1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.