Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Eric_S
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eric_S.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

On my Embryon today, my pop bumpers have started to randomly fire. All four of them will pop, with no pattern or anything. I've seen a lot of posts about flipper coils causing this problem due to EMI, but when I put the game into test mode, the pop bumpers start firing. I'm pretty sure it is a switch matrix problem because they stop firing when I unplug J2 from the MPU. I tested the diodes of the pop bumper switches (they are good) and clipped the capacitors on the pop bumper switches, and just about all the other switches in the playfield. I checked the MPU and reflowed solder headers, checked the resistors, PIA, etc. Any ideas?

#2 7 years ago

I'll also note that I swapped a new 6821 PIA chip at U10 on the MPU with no change. Also, it is only the pop bumpers that are firing, no other coils. The pop bumper switches are all on the same column in the switch matrix. The sling shot switches are also on the same column, but they do not randomly fire.

#4 7 years ago

The MPU header pins have been replaced, but not the pins on the molex connector. They look ok and I would think other coils, such as the slingshots, would be firing too since they are in the same column in the switch matrix.

#5 7 years ago

Bump, anyone else have this issue?

#7 7 years ago

Yes, I'll put the game in test mode on the switch mode test, pull the balls out of the trough and make sure all drop targets are up so no switches are closed. The pop bumpers will randomly fire. Most of the time, no switch closure registers on the game, although I get an occasional switch closure on #29, which is one of the playfield stand up switches, but everything looks fine, diode tests good and capacitor has been clipped.

#9 7 years ago

All four pop bumpers fire randomly, usually not at the rime, buy sometimes in quick succession, or the same pop bumper will fire a few times in a row. No patterns though. I hope to look at this again this afternoon.

#13 7 years ago

I should note that this issue just started yesterday. I've had the game for over a month with no issues.

Quoted from Quench:

Do the pop bumpers fire in the lamp test in sync with the lamps switching on? If yes, temporarily remove the feature lamp fuse.
Also can you put all drop targets down and report if it makes any difference.

No, pop bumpers do not fire in unison with the lamp test. Putting all of the drop targets down also makes no difference.

Quoted from cody_chunn:

I'm leaning toward MPU J4, SDB J4, or a failing TTL chip on SDB if all 4 pops are triggered by the same chip, or U2 on the SDB if they aren't.

I don't think it is a SDB issue as the issue stops when I unplug J2 from the MPU, which is the switch matrix. It seems like it is a switch matrix issue. No other coils fire and the TTL chips control more than just the pop bumpers.

Quoted from Beemus:

Are the spoon switches filthy/gapped too close?

Switches are gapped appropriately. I've actually watched to make sure the switch doesn't close when the pop bumper fires.

1 week later
#16 7 years ago

Life had gotten busy for the last week or so, but I wanted to work on Embryon again and turned it on and now it is working perfectly. I didn't do anything, just haven't turned it on in a week or so. If it starts happening again, I'll post info on what I find, but for now, I'll leave well enough alone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eric_S.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/random-pop-bumer-firing-embryon?tu=Eric_S and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.