Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by snextime
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have a Flight 2000 with all new boards and I recently replaced the pins in the connector housings connecting to the MPU. I have very annoying ghost hits I can't figure out where to start looking.

The problem primarily manifests itself when shooting balls up the lock mech. Sometimes the game counts down the bonus. Sometimes it tilts, with the tilt, it can sometimes advance to the next ball or simply let the ball in play drain (the ball it just kicked out in the shooter lane) and restart that ball. This makes the game unplayable.

Other ghost hits I've seen so far is the 25K/Bonus Multiplier target spontaneously register but most of the times at ball eject (not all the times). The upper left slingshot randomly fires without any action in that area suggesting there is a ghost hit (switch gaps checked).

As a test I replaced all the diodes on the switches that had diodes on the switch column (or is it row?) that had the tilt switches in them. No effect. I had a similar issue with my TZ years ago and a bad diode was the culprit. However, that problem was not intermittent like it is now, I can't consistently reproduce the problem and that is driving me mad.

Please help!

#2 3 years ago

Remove all balls from the game. Make sure all drop targets are reset up and go to switch test mode.
Are any switches being reported as closed?
If not, then manually activate every switch in backwards order from switch 40 down to 1 as shown on the playfield switch layout in the manual.

Document which switches respond with the wrong number.

In reality you need to do the above test twice - once where you press and release each switch, second where you press and allow switches that can stay closed i.e. outhole/trough, drop targets and ball locks to stay closed. One of these particular switches (likely to be a drop target or ball lock) probably has a shorted diode/capacitor and is the reason for the intermittent nature of the issue.

All switches that report wrongly in switch test mode will help build a picture of where your issue is within the switch matrix.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Remove all balls from the game. Make sure all drop targets are reset up and go to switch test mode.
Are any switches being reported as closed?
If not, then manually activate every switch in backwards order from switch 40 down to 1 as shown on the playfield switch layout in the manual.
Document which switches respond with the wrong number.
In reality you need to do the above test twice - once where you press and release each switch, second where you press and allow switches that can stay closed i.e. outhole/trough, drop targets and ball locks to stay closed. One of these particular switches (likely to be a drop target or ball lock) probably has a shorted diode/capacitor and is the reason for the intermittent nature of the issue.
All switches that report wrongly in switch test mode will help build a picture of where your issue is within the switch matrix.

Thank you for your insights! I read in another thread that the 0.05uF capacitors housed on some of these switches are often shorted. I'll report back once I've made some progress.

1 month later
#4 2 years ago

From the department of barking up the wrong tree. I replaced all capacitors throughout and diodes on two full rows and one column, still the game tilted.

While I fiddled with the roll-tilt mech I noticed that the switch in the lock mech triggered and caused the lock mech coil to fire. But only intermittently, or so I thought, if I grounded myself and fiddled with the tilt mech it fired. This stank rank of a grounding issue. Right?

It turned out that a GI ground wire *barely* touched the ground mech, only causing contact when the lock mech coil fired (sometimes) and when it fired because of a switch roll-over caused by a ball, the damn ball worked as a conduit (sometimes) to ground the lock mech switch and lock mech (it grounds when it fires, sometimes) which is in the same column as the tilt switch. Poof!

I moved the lamp holder, end of story.

I still have the upper slingshot randomly fire but I think there could be a similar issue here as the new blade switches I've installed have one of the ears awkwardly closed to the slingshot assembly.

Why make things easy for yourself?

1 year later
#5 1 year ago

You ever get the random slingshot resolved? Mine just started doing this.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Worth, TX
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside