Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Anindyfan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DF2332A8-2474-4F2B-A95A-42D5EF5C219A (resized).jpeg
    3D0672F0-630E-4BBD-9481-C937753CB942 (resized).jpeg
    9658EC2B-A465-47BE-B020-6D2A4032806B (resized).jpeg
    Flying Chariots Add Replay (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

I have a 1963 Swing Along machine. I just reset the points for free game and have that working fine when one player. When 2 player i an getting free games at random times, low scores. Does not seam to be any particular amount or point scoring target. Also only 2nd player has this issue. Any ideas on what I should check?

#2 1 year ago

Here's the schematic from Flying Chariots which may be similar to Swing Along:
    Flying Chariots Add Replay (resized).jpgFlying Chariots Add Replay (resized).jpg
    At the bottom of the schematic to the right is the "2nd Players Hundreds" or 2nd player's hundreds score reel which completes one of 10 possible circuits as the score reel rotates. The "Score Adj." or score adjust down through the middle of the schematic are the jones plugs you can change to set the high score levels. The schematic is drawn with 8 award levels used although any number can be set by the operator (you). The lower four of those award replays are for scores less than 1000 points and the upper four award replays are for scores over 1000 points.

If you're getting extra replays for player 2 it could be that the switch (in red) on the 2B/2nd Player Thousands relay is stuck closed so you always get replays for whatever scores you've selected over 1000 points, even before you've reached 1000 points. If you remove the jones plugs for the 1000+ points score levels and the problem goes away that would support the theory.

If not, changing the configuration of the replay levels and observing the results might offer more clues about where the problem is. Try it with no replay levels (all jones plugs removed), just one <1000 point plug used, just one >1000 point plug used, etc.

You don't have to play the game during the experiments. Just start a game and hit a 100 point target, or manually activate the Q/100 point relay in the backbox. The reference photo at
    https://gottliebpin.com/archive/GTB-Ref/195/gtb-pb195-backbox.jpg
    shows where the Q relay is.

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

It has me baffled. Its not consistent. Some games it scores perfect even when it gose past 1100 for the second time. Free games are 1100, 1200 & 1300.
    With just 1100 set it triggered one out if three games.
    Sometimes it his below 300 but maybe every third game.
    I looked at the 6 solenoids and they all move. I checked the contacts and they all connect or separate whit the solenoid movement.

#4 1 year ago

Also setting the free games at 400 only, the first game no issues, the second game it hit at 170?

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Anindyfan:

Its not consistent.

Ok, so it's an intermittent issue. It could be that the switch causing the problem is just barely closed, or gapped too close.

Quoted from Anindyfan:

With just 1100 set it triggered one out if three games.

I don't follow. So it missed the 1100 replay award two out of three games?

Quoted from Anindyfan:

Sometimes it his below 300 but maybe every third game.

If it awarded at 300 when only 1100 was set it's likely because of the switch I highlighted earlier.

Quoted from Anindyfan:

I looked at the 6 solenoids and they all move.

What 6 solenoids?

Quoted from Anindyfan:

Also setting the free games at 400 only, the first game no issues, the second game it hit at 170?

Does Swing Along have a 400 award level or a 1400 award level? Flying Chariots shown above doesn't have a 400 level.
    Also, when you got the award at 170, was it when you stepped from 169 to 170, or 160 to 170, or 70 to 170? A replay should only be awarded when the 100 point relay fires so an award while stepping from 70 to 170 could be possible. In any event, stick to 100 point increments for now to keep things simple.

Do you ever get an extra replay when the only award level is set below 1100?

Have you tried blocking the red 2B relay switch above with a piece of paper and setting only one award level above 1000? That should prevent the award from happening but also all the extra awards. The 2B relay is likely in a bank of trip relays in the bottom of the cabinet.

Also, make sure you understand how the jones plugs work. There are two different sets of plugs you can put into the socket. One is for replay levels up to 1000 and the other is for replays over 1000.

#6 1 year ago

Check that the 2nd player 100's unit wiper/disc configuration matches that of the 1st player. It could be possible to install the wiper in wrong position, which of course messes up the replay scores. Also make sure the disc is clean. Black dust is conductive and may cause problems.

#7 1 year ago

Here’s what I have for Swing Along

9658EC2B-A465-47BE-B020-6D2A4032806B (resized).jpeg9658EC2B-A465-47BE-B020-6D2A4032806B (resized).jpeg
    #8 1 year ago

What does the wiper/disc look like?

#9 1 year ago

It is the circuit board on score reel, the wiper moves on disc as the reel rotates. Set both 1st and 2nd player 100's reel to same position, e.g. zero, and look at the wiper, it should be at the same position on both reels.

#10 1 year ago

I think i found the disk, but not sure where the wiper is?

3D0672F0-630E-4BBD-9481-C937753CB942 (resized).jpeg3D0672F0-630E-4BBD-9481-C937753CB942 (resized).jpegDF2332A8-2474-4F2B-A95A-42D5EF5C219A (resized).jpegDF2332A8-2474-4F2B-A95A-42D5EF5C219A (resized).jpeg
    #11 1 year ago

Finding more issues than i can count. First the second player points by one do not move the 10 point wheel. However if i hit the 5 points target 10 times it will award a free game?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/random-free-games-for-2nd-player-?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.