• Latest reply 41 hours ago by Anindyfan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Night Rider Drop Target Reset 3 (resized).jpg
#1 6 days ago

I have a 1976 Ballys Night Rider Electro Mechanical version. When playing multiple players, randomly when the play switches to the next player, that score will get 110 points awarded.

Any suggestions.
Thanks
Rob

#2 6 days ago

I'd bang on playfield and see if 100 point or 10 point scores. Might be as simple as a set of leaf blades needing adjusting.

LTG : )

#3 6 days ago

Tried banging the playfield. Nothing happened.

#4 6 days ago

I also just noticed that the extra points et randomly added when playing a single player.

#5 6 days ago

Typo above. Extra points get randomly added for single player

#6 6 days ago

When are points added? When drop targets reset? When the ball gets kicked to the shooter lane? etc.
If you change from 5 ball to 3 ball does that change what happens?

LTG could be right that some large vibration is closing switches. Blocking switches would probably help but changing from 5 to 3 ball (or the other way around) might offer clues.

/Mark

#7 6 days ago

The points were added when the ball gets kicked into the shooting lane. Even when no drop targets had been hit.

I switched to 3 balls and played 4 players for a couple games with no issues.

Then I switched back to 5 balls per and played four games with four players and had no issues?

Could just that changed have resolved my problem. What would that have me checking?

Thanks
Rob

#8 6 days ago

Dunno. Did you lift the playfield? That might have changed something.

#9 6 days ago

That would have been to good to be true.
I still have the random points. It doesn’t matter if it’s 3 or 5 balls. Totally random.
I tried hitting different targets by hand and can’t make it give the extra points. So I don’t think it’s anything sticking on the playfield. Also it doesn’t matter which player or ball is in play.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Rob

#10 6 days ago

Before it switches players are the 10pt or 100pt relays locked on?

#11 6 days ago
Quoted from Anindyfan:

I tried hitting different targets by hand and can’t make it give the extra points. So I don’t think it’s anything sticking on the playfield.

The theory isn't that something is sticking. The theory is that there is a switch or two that is gapped close enough that when there is a large vibration on the playfield it's enough to close the switch as the switch gets jostled by the vibration.

It looks like this game resets both drop target banks when the ball drains. Do the points correspond to when the drop targets reset? If so, try blocking the motor 3A switch or the Drop Target Reset relay and Out Hole relay switches to prevent the drop targets from resetting and see if the problem continues.

Or you could knock down all the drop targets and let them reset on their own and see if you get extra points then.

Night Rider Drop Target Reset 3 (resized).jpgNight Rider Drop Target Reset 3 (resized).jpg
#12 6 days ago

The 100 point relay feed wire is 90-1 gray wire.
The 10 point relay feed wire is 52-3 white-blue wire.
Both of these wires can be found on the 16 pin playfield to mechanical board jones plug.
Unsoldering these 2 wires from the female part of the jones plug will determine if the problem is on the playfield.
These 2 wires will also be found in the backbox on a 22 pin jones plug. Unsoldering these 2 wires from the female part of the jones plug will determine if the problem is in the backbox.

#13 6 days ago

Does the problem occur if you have the playfield up and trip the drain switch manually?

#14 41 hours ago

The random points are making it impossible to find. I checked the gap on all point generating contacts and adjusted some.
Still had the issue.
Then I put paper between contacts to try to eliminate the contacts that could be causing the issue.
Sometimes it took up to 15 games of four players for the issue to surface. Any suggestions?
I am thinking I may have to live with it unless it gets worse so I can find the issue.
Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/random-extra-points- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.