image-962.jpg
image-378.jpg
image-193.jpg
image-663.jpg
image-227.jpg
image-209.jpg
image-28.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Got a text message from a friend that kingpin was in his shop so I made a trip over! Boy was I glad I did!! I have never seen one of these in person! Very cool looking game! Y'all can tell me which number it is I'm sure. I'm told it sold in 1 day for around $50,000. Apparently this game was once on a route!!

image-803.jpgimage-803.jpgimage-930.jpgimage-930.jpgimage-504.jpgimage-504.jpgimage-962.jpgimage-962.jpgimage-378.jpgimage-378.jpgimage-193.jpgimage-193.jpgimage-663.jpgimage-663.jpgimage-227.jpgimage-227.jpgimage-209.jpgimage-209.jpgimage-28.jpgimage-28.jpg

#2 9 years ago

50 G's and no topper ?

Just kidding. I love the game. Hope it got a good home.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

Rare treat!
I really love playing it at Pin a Gogo every year

#4 9 years ago

When were you there? We must have missed each other. I checked it out as well around 1:00pm

#5 9 years ago

Wow, that's cool that "FUN" had it. I miss when they used to auction off pins 10 years ago. Won my first pin The Shadow for $1400

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Donnyman:

Wow, that's cool that "FUN" had it. I miss when they used to auction off pins 10 years ago. Won my first pin The Shadow for $1400

They just did a huge auction with nearly 100 machines at the last Texas pinball festival. Little off topic.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

When were you there? We must have missed each other. I checked it out as well around 1:00pm

Went by at 3:30pm.

Came home with a toy... (off topic)

image-790.jpgimage-790.jpg

#8 9 years ago

it is a rare treat, but man that playfield looks boring. If that was a Stern release now, you guys would be bitching so hardcore how lame and uneventful that game looks.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it is a rare treat, but man that playfield looks boring. If that was a Stern release now, you guys would be bitching so hardcore how lame and uneventful that game looks.

I was shocked at the upper left playfield.

#10 9 years ago

your pictures don't show it very well tho. Should have did some with the glass off.

#11 9 years ago

Hey all, I've searched the interweb for any/all info on Kingpin and I've heard of BBB but could anyone please tell a noob why this is worth 50K?
Is it because it's the proto?
Thanx, Fitzy.

#12 9 years ago

because there are only 6 ( or around there)around in the universe. If they made 6000 of them it would be price like breakshot with the code the way it is now.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Jdfitzy-in-Aus:

Hey all, I've searched the interweb for any/all info on Kingpin and I've heard of BBB but could anyone please tell a noob why this is worth 50K?
Is it because it's the proto?
Thanx, Fitzy.

Rarity. Only 9 prototypes were ever made (prior to capcom closing its pinball division), and only 8 still exist (one was destroyed in a fire).

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Rarity. Only 9 prototypes were ever made (prior to capcom closing its pinball division), and only 8 still exist (one was destroyed in a fire).

Well, that'll do it then.
I am 1% wiser now

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Apparently this game was once on a route

Not HUO? Not interested.

#16 9 years ago

how many machines has fun got anyway, must have a bunch.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

What Neo Says.

Its cool because its so rare but I think their are a lot of newer sterns you could buy for $50k.

Again though I would be pretty excited to see one let alone play one.

chris

#18 9 years ago

Very C@@l, Hope they remake it one day

#19 9 years ago

I love the side cabinet art of the gangsters speeding in the classic car with guns blazing. Great art on that machine, and cool theme too. Looks fun.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Apparently this game was once on a route!!

That thing looks like it just came from the museum archives. :O There is not even a scratch!

#21 9 years ago

These things disappeared from the market for years, and now they have popped up again. Smells like a remake brewin?

#22 9 years ago

Meh, rare is all. If this was produced, and say Pinball Magic was not, these threads would be going on about that instead. PM is IMO their best game, but since it's accessible, no one talks about it.

Regardless, cool to see one somewhere given it's rarity.

#23 9 years ago

I feel like Kingpin is the less exiting one of the two Capcom treasures. BBB at least is super flashy and draws attention. Kingpin just looks boring.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

how many machines has fun got anyway, must have a bunch.

This particular machine is not there's, they were just hired for shipping logistics.

However, they have a lot. About 70 on the floor or so, another 250-300 in their back warehouse, and rumor is there is a 2nd and 3rd larger warehouse also full of pins. They may have 600-1000. Who knows for sure except steve the owner.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Meh, rare is all. If this was produced, and say Pinball Magic was not, these threads would be going on about that instead. PM is IMO their best game, but since it's accessible, no one talks about it.
Regardless, cool to see one somewhere given it's rarity.

this is exactly right. If you see Kingpin and pinball magic side by side. And there were only 9 of each. Which one you think everyone would go for? PM would be sought after hardcore.

#26 9 years ago

Very cool theme!

#27 9 years ago

Don't get me wrong. i'm not saying Kingpin sucks. I've never played one, but talked extensively about the rules with people I know that have played it. Has some unique and interesting features. Looks ok. but truth be told. Pinball magic and Big bang bar are much more impressive looking.

#28 9 years ago

I'm kinda jealous to be honest.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this is exactly right. If you see Kingpin and Pinball Magic side by side. And there were only 9 of each. Which one you think everyone would go for? PM would be sought after hardcore.

i wouldnt mind a pinball magic. played it a while back and was impressed

#30 9 years ago

PM is pretty awesome. Blows away any other magic themed pin out there.

#31 9 years ago

Id never spend that even on a rarity. But when it comes down to play of the capcoms I think kingpin even with its ridiculously early ruleset is more fun to play than BBB. If the code was finished before the division closed it could have easily been their best player.

#32 9 years ago

I'll take an ugly pin that plays as fun as Kingpin any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Trust me. For those that have only seen it in pictures and say it looks boring, you'll change your mind if/when you ever get to play one. BBB might be the looker, but Kingpin is DEFINITELY the one you want to play over and over again.

#33 9 years ago

I hope Kingpin gets a larger production run someday.

Would love to get my hands on one.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Very C@@l, Hope they remake it one day

Ask Gene and he will tell you they are real close to getting the *chip* done.....

#35 9 years ago

I thought this thread was about the Gottlieb King Pin.

Very disappointed!

#36 9 years ago

Is this is a different machine than the one on Ebay? For $80,000, as the cabinet looks nicer on the EBay one.

#37 9 years ago

I think someone should buy all the rarest games, and take them around to all of the shows, charging people $5-10 per game per play. Buy a Kingpin and a BBB, along with one of each of the latest boutique games. Anything super-rare that would draw attention. I bet you could pay off the cost of the games in no time!

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I think someone should buy all the rarest games, and take them around to all of the shows, charging people $5-10 per game per play.

That was my thinking a decade ago. Only bring them to shows to be enjoyed, not charge for play.

LTG : )™

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I think someone should buy all the rarest games, and take them around to all of the shows, charging people $5-10 per game per play. Buy a Kingpin and a BBB, along with one of each of the latest boutique games. Anything super-rare that would draw attention. I bet you could pay off the cost of the games in no time!

At $5 a game, that's still an awful lot of plays to recoup on an $80,000 game.

(16,000?)

Pete

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I love the side cabinet art of the gangsters speeding in the classic car with guns blazing.

Faces of the figures depicted on the cabinet sides are reputed to be the Capcom designers.

Unique feature in Kingpin is where flipper power steadily decreases and you need to make ramp shots to build it back up and keep playing. Sounds cooler than it is. The catch 22 is that flipper power soon drops down to where the ball can't make it up a ramp. Unique features on BBB include the special decal panel lighting under the clear ramp, the tube dancer, and the alien ball lock (all very cool).

#41 9 years ago

Someone ought to come out with a Bonnie and Clyde themed machine...that would be awesome.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this is exactly right. If you see Kingpin and Pinball Magic side by side. And there were only 9 of each. Which one you think everyone would go for? PM would be sought after hardcore.

Airborne is the Capcom I'd like to have! Almost snagged one at an auction but it went over where I wanted to be on it.

#43 9 years ago

Also, just out of curiosity, did they mention what part of the country it's headed to? Would be nice for one to come to the Southeast so it might show up at one of the more local shows

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Don't get me wrong. i'm not saying Kingpin sucks. I've never played one, but talked extensively about the rules with people I know that have played it. Has some unique and interesting features. Looks ok. but truth be told. Pinball Magic and Big Bang Bar are much more impressive looking.

Yeah the overall dull grey look isn't the prettiest thing. That Power Meter looks pretty cool though.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah the overall dull grey look isn't the prettiest thing. That Power Meter looks pretty cool though.

That's kinda the thing that makes me think Kingpin is worth less than BBB.
Gameplay doesn't matter at those prices anymore as it can't possibly match the price.
Bragging right, the prestige is what you're buying with that kind of money and in that regard I find BBB to absolutely blow Kingpin out of the water. It's very bold and unique in it's look with a, in my opinion, awesome choice of colours that stands out in every collection.

Imagine being rich or something and showing someone your collection of pins, that sure would be impressive. I think more people would be instantly impressed with a BBB and think it was special than there would be with Kingpin.
Kingpin has being rare and being a decend game.
BBB has being rare, being a decend game and a very special theme.

Then again, what do I have green thoughts about that matter? I find those prices ridiculous and am too poor to spend that kinda money.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Unique feature in Kingpin is where flipper power steadily decreases and you need to make ramp shots to build it back up and keep playing. Sounds cooler than it is.

No, it's actually pretty damn cool! It causes major stress and anxiety to try and "stay alive", but it's great fun. It works well(on the one I've played) and is such a unique, awesome feature. It really adds to the mystique of the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ran-into-kingpin-today-pics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.