10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by nasco62
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Playland not at the Beach has always supported my pinball tournaments. I ran into Frank (who runs Playland) at Pin a Go Go as I was setting up the tourney area and he said a woman was going to hold a fundraiser event for the Chrohn's and Colitis Foundation in a few weeks and she wanted to do a small pinball tournament. Sure, no problem.

So, if you want to run a pinball tournament for total noobs, here are some thoughts:

Total tournament time should be around 1 - 2 hours max. They will get bored/tired otherwise.

Don't be a rules-nazi. They'll make mistakes and games will need to be restarted and so on. Focus on fun.

Noob players do not understand how multiplayer games work. They don't understand you push the start button 4 times. They don't understand the turn-based nature of multiplayer. They REALLY don't understand the concept of the ball saver. I seriously had to explain things several times.

(Disgruntled house-balled player) "So I played my ball. Is that it? I'm done right?" Meanwhile, Scared Stiff had launched his ball back into play...

I went with a "player's choice" format for this one, based on an idea from 2011 World Champ Andrei Massenkoff. Playland has around 30 pinball games so this worked fine. In Player's Choice, players are divided into equal groups (2 groups of 4 or 5, 3 groups of 4, 4 groups of 4, etc.). If I get an odd number so the groups aren't even, I would play, but one-handed.

Group play is always good for noobs. It's social.

Each player in each group gets to pick a game to play, but on the game they pick they have to play first. Scoring was (for four-player groups) 4-3-2-1 (Four points for first place, 3 points for 2nd, and so on). Don't use zero with noobs. It sucks to get a zero. 1 point is the E for Effort.

Consider having players only play their first ball, or first two balls. This works because it keeps things moving very fast, and on Williams games score keeping is a LOT easier. Remember, total noobs often think pinball is a luck-fest, so they are not going to complain about limited balls.

Give players tips where possible. I pointed out to one kid who was around 12 years old that he didn't have to full plunge on Creature, he could plunge for the PAID lanes. It's like I showed this kid the secret to light speed travel - he was blown away, then asked me "does that work for other games too?!"

A cool outcome of this tourney was one of the attendees was celebrating a birthday and he ended up winning the tournament. His colossal winning score on Demolition Man was about 150M.

#2 10 years ago

I was holding a small tourney at home with a mix of good players and noobs. Feedback:
    - Keeping total duration below 2h is a good idea!
    - you are right for ball save. Needed to explain it. And also mention it would work on the latest DMD only.
    - I would leave all games on 3-balls. Ball time is very short anyway;
    - They really enjoyed playing in groups of 3 or 4, and understood quickly how to start a new game.
    - Some of them quickly became "competition" players, others didn't care.
    - I prepared a side "challenge", on a specific machine, with a special goal to reach. Everyone could get as many tries as possible during the afternoon.

#3 10 years ago

Good to expand the hobby sure all had fun.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ran-a-pinball-tourney-for-n00bs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.