3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by goingincirclez
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Ramage_played_(resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

So my two girls, aged 11 and 8, are basically as reckless as any male sons I could want when it comes to two things: slot cars and video games. Specifically, they LOVE the game Rampage (who doesn't?!) and some of the more cherished memories we share involve that game: be it kill-screening the a World Tour console, or making so much joyfully chaotic racket at Expo that you could pick us out of the crowd across the hall

Anyway. After acquiring 5 pins in 18 months, I told them that once I got Firepower finished and running and "out of mind" I'd consider getting an arcade instead of a virtual pin. So now that Firepower is done, it's time to look.

I discovered a "Midway Multicade" of a dozen or so games (including Robotron!) and thought that might be sufficient to scratch the itch, until I realized it is only 2 players. When I asked my kids if that was acceptable they both immediately vetoed with an emphatic "No! You need to play with us dad!"

So while that's kind of awesome, I'm afraid that makes this more difficult. What's the market for this game? How expensive is a 3-player classic Rampage? Any decent 3-player multicades out there?

If anybody has one to part with (reasonable projects are fine! In fact I've been teaching them to solder so this would get them full on-board cred for the geek bus, to work on their own damn arcade game how cool would that be?!) let me know... thank you! They're great kids and much like the trampoline I got them last year, this could be an ultimate "back from summer camp" surprise

(Hope this fits in the "all gameroom" forum, I've seen other vid/cade talk on the site)

#2 3 years ago

I would strongly recommend you do some research before purchasing that unit. It is pretty universally hated. I always had fun with with Rampage and the later quarter pumper that was world tour. Great funny game play. Like when you try to eat the priest and nuns and you get struck by lightening! Breath of death was a hoot too.
    Best of luck with your search.
    -S

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from azpinguy:

that unit. It is pretty universally hated.

If you mean the Midway Multicade, I had my own reservations... it seems kind of cheaply made but then the shortcuts like swappable screens, etc seemed reasonable; for $200 or less it might have been worth a try. But the two-player limitation kind of kills it.

I'm less keen on a single-title dedicated machine, but the full Rampage experience is worth it

Yeah, the easter eggs and humorous bits in the original games are wonderful, but the home port releases just don't cut it. My kids love ping-ponging the trains, the "manhole cover footballs" and of course 3-way brawls. "He caught a MERMAID! No no no AUUUGH why do you always eat the mermaids!"

Breath of death and lightning! I forgot about those because world tour isn't seen that often, but yeah too much fun! I hope it can work out.

#4 3 years ago

I enjoyed playing Rampage growing up, but didn't want to have the bulky original machine. I built my own walling hanging version which runs on a Raspberry Pi and old LCD monitor, there is a thread about it on the arcade controls forum:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=141265.0

It is a very popular game among younger kids and casual video game players. I attached a pic of it being played at a recent party.

Ramage_played_(resized).JPG

#5 3 years ago

Wow, that cabinet setup is sweet! I might have to seriously consider that... building a small MAME cabinet would be a perfect project for them to get involved with, and probably more comprehensive and modern-tech relevant for learning, than simply dropping an existing machine in the room. Hard to argue with the convenience of the latter if I got lucky, but then they probably cost about the same...

...yeah, the more I think about this, the more I think having them build one is the way to go.

I'm familiar with the "legacy" concept of MAME, but I imagine there's a minefield of methods, products, and info out there. Arduino, RaspberryPi, WinMAME, Linux platforms... never mind all the APIs, controller interfaces, and coding aspects... Do you have any recommended sources to research so I can wrap my head around everything involved here? I'm an IT guy and have restored two pins so I have the acumen, I just need to distill the relevant semantics...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 37.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 26.95
    $ 218.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside