Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_2850_(resized).JPG

#1 7 years ago

I'm working on my DE Simpsons, replacing the ramp at the moment.

What is the best double-sided tape, (adhesive) for re-installing the 2 ramp protector blades? The stuff that was on there was pretty sticky. I have some of the 3-M double sided tape (from pinrestore), but that tape is typically used for reapplying decals. I don't think this particulat adhesive is going to withstand very many ball strikes.

Anyone know of a better solution?

DSC_2850_(resized).JPGDSC_2850_(resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

3M makes a double sided tape that's an off white color that's really sticky, and will probably hold better than the decal stuff you have. I'll look for the part # and post back later

#3 7 years ago

thank you !!!

#5 7 years ago

Both of those look similar to the 3M tape used for automotive trim. The trim tape I have is VERY strong, but it is also about 1/16th inch thick. Preferably, I'd like to find a super strong, film type double-sided tape, if there is such a thing.

#6 7 years ago

Bump for the evening crowd...

#7 7 years ago

I have something like the stuff you mention, it's so strong it sooner pulls off the surface of what it sticks to then release. I don't know what it is, but posting here, so I remember to follow up at home when I check my forum activity.

#8 7 years ago

Ive been using a lot of fiberglass reinforced carpet tape lately. Reasonably thin and holds great. I use it to hold down material when cutting on a CNC machine.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Both of those look similar to the 3M tape used for automotive trim. The trim tape I have is VERY strong, but it is also about 1/16th inch thick. Preferably, I'd like to find a super strong, film type double-sided tape, if there is such a thing.

Are you worried about the extra thickness narrowing down the entrance to the ramp and making the shot harder?
I don't thinkDouble sided thin tape is going to be as good. It would require the ramp and the protector to be the exact same shape, and even then.

What you could do is very slightly bend the front side of the protector toward the ramp and leave the front 2ish inches without tape.

#10 7 years ago

The ramp protectors are just 2 completely flat blades that adhere to the side walls of the ramp entrance. With the foam, I'm concerned that it may absorb some of the ball impact, slowing down the pinball. Having the foam type tape may help keep the walls on the new ramp from breaking due to ball strikes by absorbing some the impact a bit.

#11 7 years ago

I found the roll of double-sided tape I have that is very light weight and incredibly strong. It is made by Orcon, it looks like the one I have isn't available anymore, but I'm guessing it is the same as the one now called OT-40N. It looks like it is sold by aerospace supply and is described as follows:

ORCOTAPE OT-40N is a lightweight double-sided pressure-sensitive reinforced polyester tape with differential tack. It is used to adhere aircraft floor coverings such as carpet, padding and galley mats to aircraft flooring. Leaves no residue when removed from aircraft floor surface. Meets the latest EU REACH, US EPA and Boeing environmental safety requirements.

#12 7 years ago

I'm surprised the description mentions removing it, I give up trying to do that, it's nearly impossible, but it might be because my roll is pretty old.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-protector-adhesive-whats-best and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.