(Topic ID: 159669)

Ramp Optos - Stripped screw hole repair?

By markp99

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by markp99
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5-12-2016_10-07-47_AM_(resized).png
#1 7 years ago

I have noticed the screw holes in the majority of my ramp optos are almost fully stripped (from the factory!). Nothing is falling off, but the mtg screws have nearly zero grip resistance.

What's the best way to improve/repair this issue for the long term?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Without seeing the specific placement. Can you put a small bolt and nut in there place? Use washers where you can.

#3 7 years ago

This is the application, might be some room to add a nut on the backside. I was more thinking of somehow adding material to the hole to provide resistance for the screw threads.

5-12-2016_10-07-47_AM_(resized).png5-12-2016_10-07-47_AM_(resized).png

#4 7 years ago

I'd probably remove the opto, and try to fill the hole with epoxy, then re-drill it slightly smaller. Not a pro at this, but that's my first thought.

#5 7 years ago

Looks like the ramp hole is actually a pass through and the threads grip the opto underneath. I would just add a small washer between the head of the screw and the ramp to even out any pressure and reduce fractures from any twisting. I could be wrong, but I don't think the screw should have real teeth into the ramp plastic.

#6 7 years ago

Is the screw loose in the ramp plastic or the opto plastic?

#7 7 years ago

Yes, the ramp hole is a passthru. There is no stress on the ramps from these optos whatsoever. It's the plastic threaded holes on the optos themselves that are the issue here.

The epoxy idea is kinda where I was thinking, but no clue what material to use. The final result would need to be removable to permit me access to remove the ramps in the future, etc.

#8 7 years ago

Maybe use hot glue to fill the hole at first? If that works... great, and if not, it should be easy enough to remove and try something like a clear cast epoxy (i.e. tape one side of the hole and fill it from the other side, let cure and drill).

Edit, or another option may be to just stick (or glue) a piece of a toothpick in the opto hole to give the screw something to grip.

#9 7 years ago

Did think of hot glue, but suspect it will not adhere to the plastic for very long.

I'll look for some epoxy type material that will not also "eat" the opto plastic.

#10 7 years ago

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Unless you're having to go back and occasionally retighten, I'd just leave it alone. MHO.

But if it is a problem, you might be able to sacrifice a $4 Horrible Freight soldering iron as a hot knife and build up the inside of the hole with a similar material. The trick is knowing what the material is to begin with. Then true up the hole with a twist drill.

If you don't plan on taking it apart again, a drop of lock tight might fix it. I would use the blue stuff as it isn't permanent.

My 2 cents... prolly double what it's worth. Best of luck.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Yep, this has been my approach since I first noticed in Feb when I removed the ramps the first time. Clearly not broken, but screws held-in with barely a whisper of resistance just don't give me the same warm fuzzy of a nice snug attachment.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-optos-stripped-screw-hole-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.