(Topic ID: 295554)

Ramp marks

By Williampinball

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200605_220007 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lhyrgoif.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Yes your right I was thinking of that also but like you said u can ruin the ramp doing so ,thanks for the reply
    Take care

Flame polishing isn't actually that hard imo. I was a total noob at the subject but watched a few tutorials on youtube. Then I bought a decent handheld torch and trained on an old cracked ToM ramp I had replaced earlier.
    20200605_220007 (resized).jpg20200605_220007 (resized).jpg

After that I went to town on a real ramp and had really good success with it.

So far I've flame polished 5 clear ramps all with great results and no damage.

Most important things to take note of:

1. Make the plastic super clean before starting polishing. Any dirt left will get stuck permanently in the plastic after flame polishing.

2. Have a good, hot flame. Too "cold" won't do.

3. Keep a decent distance between the flame and plastic, don't go too close. With my particular burner and flame the sweetspot seem to be around 6-8 cm away.

4. ALWAYS keep the torch in motion back and forth, never stop on one place, if you do, the plastic will melt/bubble really fast.

5. Keep an eye on the plastic at all times! If the plastic starts to bubble in any way then STOP immediately! Any more heat will just make it worse (more bubbles, deformed plastic or even a hole) so don't try to flame polish the already bubbled part.

6. If it is a big plastic/ramp you should polish only a part of it and then let it cool off properly before continuing. If the ramp gets too hot it will be hard to hold it in your hands and also it risk bending/deforming.

Maybe this sounds hard but really anyone can do it with a little training and the ramps looks almost new afterwards.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lhyrgoif.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-marks?tu=Lhyrgoif and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.